When the season began, no one could have predicted the Vikings to be where they are now. As Minnesota inches closer to a playoff berth, has Leslie Frazier secured his job for another year?This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
ProFootballTalk: Win or lose, Frazier stays in Minny
The Wilf family, owners of the Minneosta Vikings, has pledged an additional $19.5 million toward the construction of the new Vikings stadium.
According to the Associated Press, the additional funds will go toward enhancements in the plaza, food service equipment, entertainment areas in the stadium, upgrades to retractable seating and a deck that will overlook downtown Minneapolis.
The extra money brings the total contribution from the Vikings to $551 million, which is approximately 52 percent of the total cost of the project.
The team announced the extra contribution Thursday night.
Next Tuesday, the dispute between the NFL and North Carolina prosecutors over documents introduced into last July’s trial in Greg Hardy’s criminal case had been scheduled to go to court. That now won’t happen.
Via David Newton of ESPN.com, the two sides agreed to delay the effort.
“The hearing was postponed so that we could discuss an amicable resolution of our request for documents,” said Monroe Whitesides, Jr., a Charlotte lawyer hired to handle the case for the NFL.
The NFL wants to review the documents (possibly including photographs of the alleged victim’s possible injuries) before reaching a conclusion regarding Hardy’s punishment, if any, under the personal conduct policy.
Hardy spent 15 games last season on the Commissioner’s-Exempt list, receiving his full base salary while not playing. The criminal charges against him were dismissed after the alleged victim failed to show up for a February jury trial; Hardy reportedly reached a civil settlement with her.
He signed last week with the Cowboys. Owner Jerry Jones told PFT Live on Wednesday that the team received no indication regarding Hardy’s fate before adding him to the roster.
In the Bay Area, the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda have come together in an effort to keep the Raiders in town. In the southern end of the state, the city and county of San Diego likewise are joining forces to try to retain the Chargers.
Via Eric D. Williams of ESPN.com, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer announced Thursday that the two governmental entities will work together in an effort to device a solution to the stadium situation.
“This partnership helps make it official, that the entire San Diego region is united,” Faulconer said. “We are coming together, and there is real progress that is being made.”
But making progress and reaching the goal are two different things. With Faulconer determined to put any proposal to a public vote (a simple majority is necessary if the project requires no public money; if taxpayer funds are involved, two thirds of the voters must approve the measure), the project necessarily will take time — perhaps more time than the Chargers currently have to make a decision on whether they’ll leave San Diego.
And the buzz at the league meetings was clear and unmistakable. The Chargers believe San Diego has had more than enough time to fix this problem, and that any effort now is simply too little and too late.
The NFL’s international series has focused in recent years on building a presence in London. But that’s not the only foreign country in which the league is willing to ignore that “N” is for “National.”
Via Albert Breer of NFL Media, the league is considering the staging of regular-season games in Mexico and Germany, in addition to the recent suggestion that the 2017 Pro Bowl could be played in Brazil and ongoing efforts to play in Canada and China.
“The work we’re doing now is to ask, ‘How do we accelerate the agenda in Mexico, Canada and China?'” NFL executive V.P. of international Mark Waller told Breer. “Those would be our next stage, and we have offices in those three countries. And then, after those, where should be our focus? I think we’ve concluded that Brazil and Germany are the next two frontier markets, which is where the Pro Bowl idea comes from.”
Ten years ago, more than 103,000 fans showed up for a Cardinals-49ers game in Mexico City, but the league has not yet played another game there. Security concerns often have been cited as one of the reasons for no sequel, yet.
If the league decides to play games that count while playing three games per year (and possibly more) in London, the league will need more teams to give up home games. Apart from the fairly new rule that teams hosting a Super Bowl must give up a home game, Breer points out that teams relocating to a new market must sacrifice one home game per year while playing in a temporary venue pending the construction of their new stadium.
This could give the NFL up to two extra exportable games per year for several seasons, if two teams move to L.A. in 2016.
The Cowboys let running back DeMarco Murray, a third-round pick in 2011, walk away via free agency. They replaced him with running back Darren McFadden, the fourth overall selection in 2008. Murray led the NFL in rushing last season, with a franchise-record 1,845 yards. McFadden, in contrast, sputtered to a mere 534 yards in 2014.
So why do the Cowboys regard McFadden as a competent replacement?
“[Y]ou’ve got a good chance to not live up to expectations,” Cowboys owner and G.M. Jerry Jones told PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio regarding the lackluster career of McFadden, who has only one 1,000-yard campaign in seven seasons. “Because when you are drafted that high, people think that you are going to be the next Jimmy Brown. So, yes he would have liked to have had a more productive career. But the kinds of skills that got him drafted with the fourth pick in the draft, he still has.
“You worry about injury, but we were worried about injury with Murray. In eight seasons, four in Oklahoma and four with the Cowboys, Murray only had two injury free seasons. And so the position is one you have to take into consideration no matter what the skill level is, they take a lot of hits, lot of punishment, and you got a good chance to have an injury issue. And that’s why we couldn’t make that kind of commitment of dollars to that position.”
The team’s position on not investing a lot of cash in an injury-prone position would also suggest that the Cowboys won’t make a play for Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. But Jones wouldn’t confirm that Peterson won’t be a Cowboy.
“I get in enough trouble in a lot of areas anyway with this mouth but I’m not going to talk about that,” Jones said.
He doesn’t need to say it. There’s no way the Cowboys will make a major financial investment in the tailback position with Adrian Peterson or anyone, hoping instead to get the most out of underpriced talent running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.
Regardless of how it works, it will be one of the great experiments of the 2015 season.
The Buccaneers’ second-leading tackler in 2014 has signed his contract offer from the club.
Linebacker Danny Lansanah, an exclusive-rights free agent, has officially signed his one-year tender from Tampa Bay. The transaction was listed in the NFL’s Thursday personnel notice.
The 29-year-old Lansanah comes off the best season of his career. The fourth-year pro from Connecticut notched 82 tackles (61 solo), starting 11-of-16 games. He could compete for a starting role at strong-side linebacker next season, with Orie Lemon potentially also in the mix.
Lansanah was one of the success stories of the United Football League, playing a three-year UFL stint (2010-2012) after five regular season games with the Green Bay Packers in 2008. He has been with the Buccaneers since December 2013.
The Vikings will reportedly soon finalize a contract with a cornerback whom head coach Mike Zimmer knows well.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports Newman has agreed to a deal worth $2.5 million ($750,000 guaranteed).
Newman, 36, played in Zimmer-led defenses in Dallas (2002-2006) and Cincinnati (2012-2013). He notched 72 tackles, 14 passes defensed and one interception in 2014 for the Bengals. The Cowboys’ No. 1 pick in 2003, Newman has started at least 10 games in all 12 of his NFL seasons.
Xavier Rhodes, Captain Munnerlyn and Josh Robinson are the primary holdover options at cornerback in Minnesota, and Newman’s experience in Zimmer’s scheme would figure to give him a solid shot at a contributing role.
Defensive lineman Derrick Shelby has signed his restricted free agent tender with the Miami Dolphins.
The team announced the signing on Thursday.
Miami placed a second round tender on Shelby prior to the start of free agency that is worth $2.4 million. The tender is non-guaranteed. Shelby can no longer negotiate with other teams.
Shelby has missed just one game in three seasons with the Dolphins. For his career, he’s appeared in 47 games with 68 tackles, 5.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception.
The roster moves were disclosed in the NFL’s Thursday personnel notice.
Anderson and McCray were originally signed to Minnesota’s practice squad in December. Anderson (6-2, 232) played colleglately at Louisiana-Lafayette, while McCray (6-3, 322) is a Central Florida product. Both entered the NFL as an undrafted free agents in 2014. Anderson also played for the Giants last year, with McCray seeing time with the Packers in 2014.
The Vikings currently have 71 players on the roster. This does not include tailback Adrian Peterson, who is on the commissioner’s exempt list.
Also on Thursday, the Vikings signed offensive tackle Babatunde Aiyegbusi, who has quite the unique back story.
Apart from Thursday’s bomb threat, the first Aaron Hernandez murder trial hasn’t generated much news in recent weeks. The circumstantial evidence points to Hernandez as the killer (or at least present during the killing) of Odin Lloyd, but there’s still no clear motive apart from Hernandez being generally reckless, completely unpredictable, and randomly violent.
Things could get far more interesting soon, when Hernandez’s fiancée, Shayanna Jenkins, shows up to testify. Per multiple reports, Jenkins is due to take the stand on Friday.
Jenkins has received immunity, which gives the prosecution the power to compel her to testify — or to put her behind bars for contempt of court. The question becomes whether she goes out of her way to be helpful, or whether she has truly flipped on the father of her child.
One factor that could make Jenkins flip? A babysitter testified earlier this month that Hernandez once hit on her. Coincidentally (or not), Jenkins hasn’t been seen in court since March 6.
If Jenkins has indeed flipped, she could testify that she disposed of a box that contained the murder weapon that still has not been found. Prosecutors believe that’s exactly what she did.
While Brandon Magee is joining the Boston Red Sox for the next few weeks to participate in spring training, the former Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker is still fully committed to pursuing his football career.
Magee was waived by the Buccaneers this week and once again elected to join the Red Sox in spring training. Magee did the same a year ago while he was a member of the Cleveland Browns.
Blake Baratz, Magee’s agent, says Magee is healthy and ready to sign with another NFL team as soon as possible with his commitment being to his NFL career.
“There have been rumors circulating that Brandon Magee, who was recently released by Tampa Bay, has given up football with the intention of playing professional baseball. This could not be further from the truth,” Baratz wrote in an email to PFT. “While he does attend spring training for a few weeks up until the beginning of the NFL off-season program, he is 100% fully committed to playing in the NFL.”
Magee appeared in nine games for the Buccaneers last year while primarily serving on special teams duty. Magee recorded seven tackles before landing on injured reserve in December. Magee also appeared in eight games for the Cleveland Browns in 2013, recording five tackles.
The 49ers announced the move today. Martin will be placed on waivers, which means all 31 other teams have the right to put in a claim for him. If he does not get claimed, he becomes an unrestricted free agent.
San Francisco gave up this year’s seventh-round draft pick to acquire Martin last year. He started nine games for the 49ers last season and had a strong supporter in former 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, who also coached Martin at Stanford. Now that Harbaugh is gone, it’s no surprise that Martin is gone, too.
The Dolphins took Martin in the second round of the 2012 NFL draft. He started his first 23 games in Miami before leaving the team in his second season.
The Vikings signed a big man who helped the Giants win a championship.
OK, so it was the Wroclaw Giants of the Polish American Football League, but this guy is already an early favorite here at PFT.
According to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer-Press, the Vikings signed Babatunde Aiyegbusi, a 6-foot-9, 351-pound offensive tackle, who also played for the Dresden Monarchs of the German league.
The native of Olesnica would be just the fifth Polish-born player in the NFL if he made it, along with defensive tackle Jason Maniecki and kickers Chester Marcol, Rich Szaro and Sebastian Janikowski.
He’d also be only the second guy in league history named Babatunde, after former Browns sixth-rounder Babatunde Oshinowo, a defensive tackle from Stanford.
For that reason alone, we hope the big fella makes it.
After Rex Ryan was fired by the Jets, and before he was hired by the Bills, he was expecting the Bears to call him and ask him to interview for their head-coaching vacancy. But that call never came.
Ryan said at the league meeting that he expected the Bears to interview him and was surprised they didn’t.
“I actually did, but they got a great coach there with John Fox,” Ryan said. “I did. I thought, It made sense to me. But apparently it never made sense to them. So that’s the way it is.”
Ryan, who worked as a ball boy for the Bears when his father Buddy was Chicago’s defensive coordinator from 1978 to 1986, said he isn’t sure why the Bears wouldn’t want him.
“I don’t know,” he said. “I must have done a bad job as a ball boy there or something.”
When Chris Weinke left IMG to take a job as the Rams quarterback coach, he was replaced by another old guy who once played for the Panthers.
According to Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, East Carolina quarterback Shane Carden is under the tutelage of former Bucs, Browns, Ravens, Jets, Cowboys, Patriots and Panthers quarterback Vinny Testaverde.
Testaverde thinks he’s smoothed out the delivery of Carden, a mid- to late-round prospect.
The longtime NFL quarterback said Carden had an “awkward-looking delivery, if you will.”
But the use of a quarterback tutor isn’t the only thing that has changed about the pre-draft process when Testaverde was chosen first overall in 1987.
“When I ran my 40, two days before I had our strength coach show me how to do a 40 start,” Testaverde said. “So I worked on it for a day. Went to the combine, ran the 40, so we didn’t have all that specific training.”
Testaverde said he ran his 40 in 4.72 seconds, which is a lot faster than most of us might have thought.
But the thing he should teach Carden is longevity, after 21 seasons in the NFL.