Report: Extension “certainly coming” for Leslie Frazier

Minnesota Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier congratulates running back Toby Gerhart after scoring a touchdown against the Houston Texans in Houston Reuters

Most of the credit for the Vikings’ 9-6 record this season has gone to running back Adrian Peterson, but he hasn’t been a one-man band this year.

The Vikings have played well on defense all year and come up with ways to win games despite finding themselves playing around quarterback Christian Ponder far too often. Coach Leslie Frazier deserves credit for that and Judd Zulgad of 1500ESPN.com, a former Vikings beat writer, believes it will come via a contract extension.

Zulgad writes that an extension is “certainly coming” for Frazier, who has a year left on his deal, after Minnesota’s sharp turnaround from last year’s 3-13 record. Linebacker Chad Greenway calls Frazier’s steady approach a big reason for the team’s success and draws an implicit distinction between Frazier and former coach Brad Childress.

“His speeches are real consistent if you know what I mean,” Greenway said. “I think that’s good. It is such a long season and there are so many ups and downs that I think if you have a coach that is kind of going with that; maybe he comes in Monday after a loss and he’s really down and (you get a), ‘This is going to ruin our season’ sort of speech and that’s not what Leslie is.”

If not for the remarkable circumstances surrounding Indianapolis’ rise from first overall pick to the playoffs, Frazier would probably be getting more support for coach of the year. He probably won’t win that award, but an extension will do quite nicely as recognition for what the Vikings have done this year.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Report: Extension “certainly coming” for Leslie Frazier”
  1. lennydpocketqb says: Dec 26, 2012 1:51 PM

Good for him. They still need to address a metric ton of issues with the offense but I like this guy. Not a showboat and really seems to believe in his guys.

2. tjacks7 says: Dec 26, 2012 1:55 PM

I saw this nightmare before except it starred brad childress.

3. bigks77 says: Dec 26, 2012 1:56 PM

He does deserve it! Only thing is, he will never really out coach anyone. He is not much of a X’s and O’s coach, but more of a players coach! Skol! Crush the Pack!!!!!

4. keevel says: Dec 26, 2012 1:59 PM

As a Packer fan, I think he’s the most capable coach Vikings have had since Dennis Green. With Mr. Smith losing some of his magic in Chicago, Mr. Frazier might be the best coach not named McCarthy in the division.

5. larryboodry says: Dec 26, 2012 2:03 PM

I have liked Frazier since his playing days with the Bears…Class act, he deserves it.

6. manilovethepftcensors says: Dec 26, 2012 2:06 PM

One and done

7. ieatchickens says: Dec 26, 2012 2:16 PM

Great idea from the Vikings organization!

First extend Childress contract on the back of Favre.

Now they extend Fraziers on the back of Peterson.

As a Packer fan I have to admit I really enjoy the Viking organization and how they operate!

8. mnjoemama says: Dec 26, 2012 2:26 PM

He’s a great coach and even better person. He deserves it!! Skol vikes

9. jerrykill4pres says: Dec 26, 2012 2:38 PM

I think he’s doing a pretty good job and deserves this. Although, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings one bit if he would see musgraves inept play calling..

Coach of the year? I don’t know about that.. Sure he gave us atleast 6 more wins than last year, but hands down it should go to Pagano. His story and what he’s done to overcome adversity to get back on the field is amazing.

10. realfootballfan says: Dec 26, 2012 2:39 PM

If he wants this extension to go past next year, he needs to dump Musgrave ASAP. I don’t know what it is about the Dungy tree coaches, but they stick with some awful OC’s like Lovie and Ron Turner, Frazier with Musgrave, and Billick with himself.

11. hatesycophants says: Dec 26, 2012 2:44 PM

Indianapolis intentionally tanked the season to get the #1 pick. That should never go unreported when the Colts are mentioned. Never.

12. mattolikesthevikes says: Dec 26, 2012 2:52 PM

Hope it pans out better for Frazier than it did for chilly.

13. spicymudbugs says: Dec 26, 2012 2:54 PM

Back to the cellar in 2013

14. davikes says: Dec 26, 2012 2:56 PM

He’s earned it. His demeanor reminds me of Bud Grant on the sidelines. (I hope he win’s more SB’s though.)

As far as not out-coaching anyone, ask the Texans what they thought.

15. midwestwarrior says: Dec 26, 2012 2:57 PM

anybody who talks about pro football players tanking games is clueless. you think every player would throw their own stats and future paydays to assure a #1 pick on a team they will not be a part of the following year? at least half of the players from last years colts team are no longer on the field. so what incentive do they get for “throwing” games? please inform us.

16. irishgary says: Dec 26, 2012 3:11 PM

This is great news for us Packer fans,

Schwartz gets and extension, now Frazier, if we can get Lovie extended it gets us multiple years of 6 – 0 in conference.

17. 2ruefan says: Dec 26, 2012 3:24 PM

manilovethepftcensors..

One WHAT and DONE WHAT?

Your post makes no sense.

A) If you meant his season.. he’s in his second year.
    B) If you mean playoffs.. they’re not even in them yet genius….

18. 2ruefan says: Dec 26, 2012 3:26 PM

irishgary,
    You might be speaking a bit soon.

The Pack still have to play in Minny on Sunday.

Not predicting any outcome there, but you seem to be….

19. irishgary says: Dec 26, 2012 3:35 PM

@2ruefan

Of course I am. It’s a gimmie

20. toolkien says: Dec 26, 2012 4:00 PM

As a Packer fan I’ll give the Vikings props for a good season. By virtue of the NFC West playing the NFC North, to be in playoff contention is no mean feat. The divisions have provided very tough strength of schedules for all the playoff caliber teams from both divisions. While Minnesota may seem the runt of the litter, they’re not so far different than where the Giants stood last year at least in terms of strength. Of course the Giants got a lot of help with superior teams bowing before them in sequence, but it shows that it can happen. I think the Packers win, but it’s going to be a close game with a field goal the difference.

27-24 Packers

21. packhawk04 says: Dec 26, 2012 4:14 PM

Take care percy. Fun while it lasted.

22. manilovethepftcensors says: Dec 26, 2012 4:23 PM

2rueafan-I think everyone but you understands exactly what I meant. There is a very strong possibility they will make the playoffs. After this happens they will be defeated in the first game in which they compete. I’m assuming you’re a vikings fan and you know that this is what will happen and that’s why you’re so defensive. Have a great day.
    ps-Christian Ponder is terrible

23. bobnelsonjr says: Dec 26, 2012 4:36 PM

1) Frazier’s overall record is below .500.

2) Frazier has not won in Chicago.

3) Frazier has not won a game against the Packers since becoming head coach.

4) I’m sure the rest of the division welcomes this news.

5) This is a typical viking management decision. They write their own jokes.

I hope it is a 10 year extension.

24. tfoz5150 says: Dec 26, 2012 4:54 PM

Chilly was a good coach. The Favre circus derailed that wagon.

25. zn0rseman says: Dec 26, 2012 5:17 PM

The Viking have a rookie QB in Ponder (effectively) who has no talent at the receiver position. None of his receivers are getting seperation or consistently making plays. Then you look around their division and see every other team stacked with loads of premier receiver talent.

Frankly, I like most of what I’ve seen from Ponder this season. The Vikings have played through a tough schedule and considering his lack of weapons (sans AD of course) he has played smart, accurate football.

26. qinct says: Dec 26, 2012 5:20 PM

The Vikings will improve when they change GMs and get a new QB

27. zn0rseman says: Dec 26, 2012 5:24 PM

tfoz5150 says:
    Dec 26, 2012 4:54 PM
    Chilly was a good coach. The Favre circus derailed that wagon.

——

Chilly was a horrible coach and a terrible personel guy. He was constanty trumping Speilman’s moves. His decisions (Tavaris Jackson, Tyrell Johnson, ect) were horrible. He also made sure to take the ship down with him by trading away or cuttinh any QB who presented a threat to TJoke. (See Tyler Thigpen, Gus Ferrotte, Sage Rosenfels, ect). He even went so far as to trash the Vikings playoff chances in 2008 by starting “his” guy, an injured Tavaris Jackson in the playoffs against Philly even though it was Gus Ferrotte who had gotten the team to the playoffs in the first place.

Childress was a bad coach, not because he didn’t know football and how to coach it, but because he refused to accept a mistake when he made one and his ego prevented him from working with Speilman.

28. jsally430 says: Dec 26, 2012 5:25 PM

actually it was the whole trading for moss then cutting him for saying the food they had catered in wasn’t good enough to feed his dog. I like frazier. I think with purceys skill set they should be able to.get a first round draft pick. maybe from the Bengals or some one that’s a one trick pony. also real football fan. billick wasnt a dungy guy he was a denny green guy.

29. vikefan says: Dec 26, 2012 5:36 PM

27-24 Packers
    ——————————————————
    pack win by a field goal? WOW …u have been eating the bad cheese……maybe u need to recheck each teams kickers & review their successes (or lack of) in one case….

30. hurrayforyogapants says: Dec 26, 2012 5:37 PM

I don’t disagree, but I’d wait to see how this year turns out. We have the best RB in the league (and maybe off all time), I’d expect nothing less than regular playoff appearances.

31. stellarperformance says: Dec 26, 2012 6:15 PM

This game scares me as much as any Packer/Viking headknocker in the last thirty+ years. They always play each other tough and the outcome is rarely determined until mid-way through the fourth period ……if then.

Good luck to both. I wish Peterson could get his record (I can’t stand Dickerson,) and the Packers still win. The Packers will still be in the playoffs no matter what…..”we got that goin’ for us.”

32. Frazier28/7 says: Dec 26, 2012 6:21 PM

This year we found our Left Tackle, Strong Safety and Kicker for the next decade plus, and we have 6-7 more wins that last year. Frazier hand picked the Defensive coordinator that has really turned this group around.

Coach Frazier deserves a two year extension at least.

33. yourfavoriteteamsucksbigtime says: Dec 26, 2012 7:47 PM

Good news for the entire NFC North. Now if the lions keep schwartz that means there is only 14 teams to worry about in the NFC.

34. zn0rseman says: Dec 26, 2012 10:11 PM

I hope the Vikings win and the Packers lose.

Not because I’m a Vikings fan. But because both the Packers and Vikings earned a playoff spot and the Bears did not.

35. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 26, 2012 11:27 PM

I wonder if Frazier will ever beat the Packers during his tenure.