Current Lions chime in on Lomas Brown

Lomas Getty Images

None of the former teammates of Lions tackle Lomas Brown and Lions quarterback Scott Mitchell have spoken publicly regarding Brown’s admission that he whiffed on a block in order to get Mitchell knocked out of a game (it worked) and Mitchell’s passionate response, from Wednesday’s edition of The Dan Patrick Show.

But at least three current Lions have chimed in.

I’m just glad he’s not blocking for me,” Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said, via the Detroit News. “I’d have to be really nice to him if he was.”

Center Dominic Raiola was less inclined to laugh it off.  “That’s kind of bush league if you ask me,” Raiola said. “When I saw it, I was like, I don’t think I’d ever do that. . . .  That ain’t cool.”

Guard Rob Sims said that he wouldn’t use that approach, for reasons more about his performance than his quarterback’s.  “I would never do that,” Sims said. “I just don’t like people getting past me.”

Still, it’s hard not to wonder whether other offensive players have done similar things over the years, either because the quarterback was struggling or because they simply didn’t like him.  Still, it’s something that should never happen.

“It’s like a fire department going on a call and the captain saying, ‘Hey, let that guy go in the building and burn because we really don’t like him. He’s not holding the hose enough,'” Mitchell said Wednesday. “People get seriously hurt in this game, and it’s hard enough to play and to stay healthy when all things are equal, but for someone to just lay down like that, it’s just unacceptable.”

Mitchell is right.  I’ve asked ESPN (again) to make Brown available for today’s Dan Patrick Show, but the network has yet to accept.  Regardless of the platform, Brown needs to elaborate on his remarks, and to address Mitchell’s response.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Current Lions chime in on Lomas Brown”
  1. larryboodry says: Dec 27, 2012 8:10 AM

Saw where the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame recently inducted this clown…They should nullify that in light of this admission.

2. spellingcops says: Dec 27, 2012 8:10 AM

ESPN is quickly becoming the laughingstock of sports networks.

3. jimnaizeeum says: Dec 27, 2012 8:11 AM

Hmmm, I wonder just how much hose holding is enough…not that there’s anything wrong with it.

4. ogre2010 says: Dec 27, 2012 8:16 AM

You know we make such a big deal about Tim Tebow being disrespected but no one talks about this story on the four letter network.

5. tigerwoodsballs says: Dec 27, 2012 8:21 AM

Again, like with the racist comments by ESPN’s Rob Parker, THIS IS ANOTHER case where ESPN should fire a guy.

Think about this:

If a White guy OL had admitted to letting a guy get past him on purpose to injure a black QB like a Vince Young, Donovan, McNabb, Michael Vick, etc. you know damn well you would have Jesse Jackson coming in with the race card.

You would have the “black community” putting so much pressure on ESPN to fire the honkee…. he’d be fired gone adios.

People always suspect things as there are conspiracies that are never revealed. Here’s one that was revealed (why would the brutha ever admit this anyway, that’s odd), and the network needs to let him go.

Hire a former player like a kicker or punter instead.

6. connie73 says: Dec 27, 2012 8:36 AM

Are you sure that is what he said because I can”t understand a word he says when he was on First Take or Cold Pizza. Another ESPN special person

7. hor2012 says: Dec 27, 2012 8:47 AM

That’s the worst thing I’ve ever heard admitted to concerning sports. Not only could you have gotten Scott hurt but what about your duty to the rest of your team. At best I thought brown was ok as a lineman. And, I didn’t know him as a person. But, after hearing this he’s sorry as a lineman, and a sorry excuse for a human being.

8. dlions18 says: Dec 27, 2012 9:18 AM

Even after they retire the Lions still have players who receive (and deserve) negative press.

9. mightymightylafootball says: Dec 27, 2012 9:40 AM

Lomas, I’d like to introduce you to a real man, named Andrew Whitworth (Bengals left tackle):

“I’ve got two contracts in my life. One, with my wife because we’re married. And, two, I’ve got a contract to protect my quarterback. I’ll do both of those to the best of my ability.”

You’de do well to take a page out of his book, Lomas. You’ll be better for it.

10. fdugrad says: Dec 27, 2012 10:38 AM

11. will2424 says: Dec 27, 2012 11:03 AM

Man ita surprises me but then again it doesnt that some of you guys who have never played a sport makes these stupid comments. You see every week in the NFL players let up and not make a tackle or drop balls that you wonder does he have money bet on the game! Our high school lined allowed the defense to come thru the line to get our quarterback when he decided to call a play and then run the ball himself. So it does happen alot you just dont have a player having the gits to admit it.

12. will2424 says: Dec 27, 2012 11:06 AM

How does this turn into a race issue anyway? The giy was playing horrible and it didnt have anything . to do with the color of his skin. Come on man

13. larryboodry says: Dec 27, 2012 1:43 PM

fdugrad says: Dec 27, 2012 10:38 AM

“It wouldn’t completely shock me to eventually learn that an OL or two for Jay Cutler may have done something along these lines. Cutler seems as though he can wear out his welcome given his behaviors and attitudes.”

Yeah…That’s why his o-line has allowed only 8 sacks the last 7 games, after allowing 28 in the first 8.