Ware may need surgery, Cowboys may need to spell him

DeMarcus Ware AP

Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware was coy about his need for offseason surgery, but it’s clear the team knows they’re going to have to be selective with his snaps.

Ware hasn’t practiced this week because of shoulder and elbow injuries, but insists he’s playing Sunday’s win-and-in game against the Redskins.

“I can answer that, but I’m not going to answer that,” Ware said when asked about the need for surgery, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “Maybe. Maybe not. Wait to the end of the season to see.”

Ware also was voted to the Pro Bowl, but looks like a perfect candidate to skip the game because of his health.

“I don’t know yet,” Ware said. “Just depends on what they say.”

More importantly than the Hawaiian vacation is this week, and Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said they’ll have to keep Ware on a pitch count to maximize his effectiveness.

“We’ll continue to monitor him, and all our guys over the course of the week and just see what their ability is,” Garrett said. “Certainly we want DeMarcus Ware out there as much as we can have him out there. But again, you have to pick your spots.”

That’s a smart way to approach it anyway. Ware has 11.5 sacks, but only 2.5 have come in the last seven weeks, so getting the most of whatever’s left will be the key for the Cowboys.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Ware may need surgery, Cowboys may need to spell him”
  1. manilarizzo says: Dec 27, 2012 6:22 PM

So there’s now zero chance of him getting by Trent Williams this week, let alone to RG3.

2. jasons81 says: Dec 27, 2012 6:27 PM

Jerry Jones will not like this… I see a stern talk in the locker room coming for Ware

3. jwreck says: Dec 27, 2012 6:51 PM

No matter how much you (by which I absolutely mean “I”) hate the Cowboys, you (again, “I”) have to admire Ware’s toughness, determination, and unflappability over the years. The fact that he couldn’t say “Yes, I’m playing,” or even “I definitely plan to be on the field on Sunday,” is not a good sign for Dallas.

Although Trent Williams has done a phenomenal job stonewalling some of the league’s best pass rushers this season, with Griffin potentially less mobile than he was on Thanksgiving and the Dallas linebacking corps decimated by injuries, Ware’s presence would be huge for the Cowboys this week.

The really crazy twist would be if Ware is held out Sunday and Dallas loses but clinches a wild card berth. Ware could potentially rest up this week and then be ready to face DC in the first week of the playoffs. (Of course that would take a truly bizarre set of circumstances in order for that to happen. Don’t quote me, but I’m pretty sure that in order for this to happen, Chicago, Seattle, NYG, and Minnesota would all have to lose Sunday as well)

All in all, I’m not sure what my point is, but that while Ware will be playing if he can, not having him will really hurt the Cowboys chances on Sunday.

Also, it would be nuts if Washington and Dallas faced off two weeks in a row (not to mention great for DC to not have to play Seattle in the first round).

4. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 27, 2012 7:48 PM

Doesnt matter… He cant get past Trent Williams, and if he gets past Mo Hurt, he cant catch Bobby

5. biggestredmiami says: Dec 27, 2012 7:52 PM

Ware has never missed a game in his career, I doubt this is the first one he misses.

6. drgreenstreak says: Dec 27, 2012 7:57 PM

jwreck –
    First of all, the article did not say he wasn’t playing. He is. They want to limit his snaps in order to make him most effective.
    Secondly, the Cowboys cannot get a wild card spot, period. Only the Gnats can do that.

Seattle would destroy the ‘Skins in a playoff game.

7. RoofDude says: Dec 27, 2012 8:06 PM

jwreck says:Dec 27, 2012 6:51 PM

———————————————————–
    Not possible. Dallas cant get a wild card.

Also not possible for Dallas/Wash to play the next week. If Dallas wins they would be the 4th seed. If Wash got in as a wild card, they would be the 6th seed. 3 vs 6 4 vs 5 is the format.

8. theheyseed says: Dec 27, 2012 9:57 PM

Hate to see any player hurt, but as a Skins fan I won’t be sad if he is limited in Sundays game.

9. dcowboy4life says: Dec 27, 2012 11:15 PM

Whichever team wins this game, wins the NFC East division and advances to the playoffs. That simple!

10. volusiagirl says: Dec 28, 2012 8:52 AM

Dang, DeMarcus!!
    I know you’re a warrior but don’t damage yourself more than needed in this Redskins game! I’m gonna need you for the next couple of years.

Be careful, you’re all I got right now defensively!! Everybody else is hurt, hurting or unskilled.

11. jwreck says: Dec 28, 2012 3:38 PM

Not possible. Dallas cant get a wild card.

______
    Truth. I miscounted, I thought that if Seattle lost and Washington won, DC would be 4 and Dallas 5 because of division record. Sloppy math.