Brandon Marshall won’t be rooting for the Packers

Chicago Bears' Brandon Marshall says a prayer after catching a touchdown pass against the Arizona Cardinals in the first half during their NFL football game in Phoenix, Reuters

The Bears can get to the playoffs only if they beat the Lions and if the Packers knock off the Vikings.  But that won’t make Bears receiver Brandon Marshall buy a share of Packers non-stock stock.

I’m not cheering for anybody but the Bears,” Marshall said Thursday, via CSN Chicago.  “Yeah, that’s how it is.  We put ourselves in this position.  And right now, you know, it could be a good position.  You never know how things will work out.  But all we can do is beat Detroit and sit back and have a cup of coffee and see what happens at that afternoon game.”

Linebacker Lance Briggs wasn’t quite as obstinate.  “Yeah, I could root for Green Bay,” Briggs said.  “It doesn’t mean that I like Green Bay.  You know, everybody in Chicago’s gonna be pulling for Green Bay.  That’s just the way it is.”

That doesn’t mean Briggs wearing a Cheesehead and hanging on every play.  “I might check scores,” Briggs said.

It’s a realistic attitude.  No amount of rooting by Marshall or Briggs or any other fan (except for the members of a loud home crowd) will influence the outcome.  So why bother?

Luckily for the NFL, most fans aren’t nearly as ambivalent as Marshall and Briggs,  Even though, unlike every other fan, Marshall and Briggs and their teammates will derive a clear and direct financial and professional benefit if the Packers win on Sunday.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
36 Responses to “Brandon Marshall won’t be rooting for the Packers”
  1. nwfisch says: Dec 28, 2012 10:43 AM

He’s right.

They got to take care of their business first.

Then all they can do is have a cup of coffee and watch the Packers after they beat the Lions.

2. larryboodry says: Dec 28, 2012 10:45 AM

Rather than rooting for GB, I look at it as rooting against the Vikings.

Marshall and Briggs have the right idea.

3. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Dec 28, 2012 10:47 AM

Well have fun with that one after you’re sitting at home in January after a 7-1 start.

4. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Dec 28, 2012 10:48 AM

All the rooting in the world wont change the outcome of the game…its up to the players on the field to beat their opponent.

5. larryboodry says: Dec 28, 2012 10:51 AM

Now I will sit back with my cup of coffee and anticipate the first ignorant ‘How dare Marshall not root for the Packers? I guess he’s not a team player after all!’ comment.

Wait for it…

6. asublimeday says: Dec 28, 2012 10:51 AM

——–

Leave it to a packer fan to concede defeat to the Vikings before kickoff

7. rikker12 says: Dec 28, 2012 10:55 AM

The Bears still have to beat the Lions.
    Marshall got schooled by the packers for 2 games this year, and now he can’t give them any respect….. One who gives respect, gets respect…

8. rikker12 says: Dec 28, 2012 10:59 AM

No respect

9. metalhead65 says: Dec 28, 2012 11:12 AM

as a bears fan I am with Marshall 100%. I am a bears fan and hate the packers and will never root for them. never have and never will. if the bears win and don’t get in to bad they should not have let it come down to that. if the packers win they will not be doing it to help the bears but to help themselves to get a higher seeding. so packers fans can quit acting like they are doing the bears and their fans a favor by winning.

10. doug74 says: Dec 28, 2012 11:12 AM

asublimeday says:
    Dec 28, 2012 10:51 AM

——–

Leave it to a packer fan to concede defeat to the Vikings before kickoff

_____

11. mvp43 says: Dec 28, 2012 11:13 AM

Lets get real people… All that matters is that your team gets in.

Every Bears player and fan will be rooting for the Packers, no matter what the y say.

12. rikker12 says: Dec 28, 2012 11:20 AM

MetalHead65…
    I understand your point, and if us packer fans where in your position, I would say the same thing about the bears, but we are not acting like we are doing you a favor (At least the fans that understand). We want our team to win, so we can better our seeding in the playoffs.

13. thetokyosandblaster says: Dec 28, 2012 11:31 AM

Lions 30, Bears 27

Marshall won’t have to cheer for the Packers anyway.

14. packhawk04 says: Dec 28, 2012 11:34 AM

Still bitter huh? Just cant beat those packers, can you brandon…

15. larryboodry says: Dec 28, 2012 11:36 AM

“Leave it to a bears fan to assume a victory after losing 5 out of the last 7 games.”

Not assuming a victory, but seriously…It’s the Lions…If the Bears can’t beat Detroit with the playoffs on the line, then they don’t deserve to go anyway.

16. thetokyosandblaster says: Dec 28, 2012 11:41 AM

larryboodry says:
    Dec 28, 2012 11:36 AM

—-

I think his point was that some uninformed bears fan thought the packers fan was conceding victory, when everyone outside of Chicago thinks that the lions could win this game.

17. axespray says: Dec 28, 2012 12:43 PM

“buy a share of Packers non-stock stock….”
    ———————————
    It’s either that or one of the most historic franchises in the league moves to a crappy city like LA or Miami….

Whatever – I guess you don’t have to respect the tradition/history of the game to report on it or anything….

18. larryboodry says: Dec 28, 2012 1:01 PM

@tokyo:

Not just folks outside of Chicago…I’m as die-hard as the next Bears fan, but I’ve been watching them too long (since the Bobby Douglass era) to take anything for granted.

19. uwsptke says: Dec 28, 2012 1:02 PM

“You know, everybody in Chicago’s gonna be pulling for Green Bay. That’s just the way it is.”

It’s about time they backed a winner.

20. fless43 says: Dec 28, 2012 1:02 PM

I own a share of “Packers non-stock stock”. There hasn’t been a day where I’ve regretted my purchase. I have no illusion that I’m a legitimate ‘NFL owner’ or anything like that. However, I have a really cool piece of memorabilia, and I was able to contribute to the stadium renovation. My contribution, along with others like mine paid for the renovation WITHOUT taxing people 1-cent. I think that’s pretty cool.

21. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 28, 2012 1:09 PM

The Packers own the Bears, and Marshall knows it. 6 straight defeats at the hands of their superior neighbors to the North has humiliated the entire franchise and their fan base.

22. cadillacjosh says: Dec 28, 2012 1:50 PM

filthymcnasty1-

Humiliated might be a stretch. Losing 6 games to a team that has made the playoffs 3 straight years, with a superbowl, a 15 and 1 season, and the current MVP as their QB hasn’t made me lose any sleep. Sure I want to beat the Pack, but its foolish to pretend that they are not very, very good.

23. hansenbrothers says: Dec 28, 2012 1:54 PM

No one ever accused him of being smart.

24. larryboodry says: Dec 28, 2012 2:03 PM

cadillacjosh says: Dec 28, 2012 1:50 PM

filthymcnasty1-

—————————————
    Agreed…Glad to see at least two of us aren’t humiliated.

25. larryboodry says: Dec 28, 2012 2:26 PM

hansenbrothers says: Dec 28, 2012 1:54 PM

“No one ever accused him of being smart.”

He’s smart enough to have turned his personal life around despite the borderline personality disorder he suffers from, and his efforts to educate and help others with BPD just got him named the Chicago Sun-Times Sportsman of the Year.

But you just keep on hating, if it helps you make it through each day.

26. thetokyosandblaster says: Dec 28, 2012 2:50 PM

I feel like Larry is accusing Brandon of being smart.

27. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Dec 28, 2012 3:04 PM

I like turtles

28. vltrophy14 says: Dec 28, 2012 5:27 PM

Really! Really! Hey BM u not rooting for the Packers doesn’t break my heart one bit. We don’t need u rooting for us anyway. We kicked your butt twice this year & the 2nd time u had to walk away from the podium b/c u were about to cry like a little baby after talking smack to the Packers & having it shoved back in your face cry baby

29. vikescry1 says: Dec 28, 2012 9:16 PM

yeah but did he say it with a charlie brown christmas tree in front of him???

30. chi01town says: Dec 28, 2012 11:37 PM

Im with Marshall & Briggs I will never root for greenbay. IF they get pass the Vikings they will have a bye
    week and I dont want them getting pass that first playoff game. Chicago Dont deserve to be there this season. and I want Lovie to get Fired.

31. bowmanj35 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:21 AM

oh, how I relish the fact that all you loser bear fans will be rooting for green bay this week. makes it interesting when your postseason hangs in the balance of your arch rivals game and they have to win it huh. oh now I’m just having too much fun….

32. larryboodry says: Dec 29, 2012 9:52 AM

thetokyosandblaster says: Dec 28, 2012 11:31 AM

Lions 30, Bears 27
    ———————————-
    30 points for the Lions? Seriously? Heck, these two offenses will be lucky to put up 30 points combined…Bears 17, Lions 14

33. sraebad says: Dec 29, 2012 11:18 AM

Win or lose the packers will not go deep in the playoffs. They were a better team last year and lost in the 1st round. They will be watching from their couches again. Most packer fans are terrible losers and even worse winners, which is part of the reason we can’t stand them! Sportsmanship is not in the packer fan vocab!

34. tokyosandblaster says: Dec 29, 2012 2:40 PM

sraebad says:
    Dec 29, 2012 11:18 AM

Interesting, if extremely misguided and whiny analysis.

The Packers are actually a much better team this year. Instead of being last in defense, they are 7th. Perhaps the reason you hate Packers fans is that we are actually knowledgeable, unlike you.

35. purpblooded says: Dec 29, 2012 7:54 PM

Marshal is a great reciever, I like him even better for hating on the Packers.

36. jerrytagge says: Dec 29, 2012 8:59 PM

{i}”so packers fans can quit acting like they are doing the bears and their fans a favor by winning.”{/i}

Winning, eh? Same favor we did Detroit by sweeping Chicago, I guess.

Nobody wants to be the only team in the division to lose to GB twice. Now all three teams and their fans will be able to have one more thing in common… besides watching the Super Bowl on the couch.