Dustin Keller doesn’t want the franchise tag

New York Jets v Seattle Seahawks Getty Images

The circus may not be leaving town, but the some of the guys who work for it may want out.

Tight end Dustin Keller, a first-round pick whose rookie contract expires in March, doesn’t want to be held in place by the franchise tag.

I don’t want to be franchised,” Keller told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.  “You want to make sure that you’re going somewhere and you’re signing something that was your decision.  You don’t want to be told that you’re doing something for whatever price.  You want to make that decision for yourself.  You don’t want somebody else making it for you.  I would love to come back here, but when I came here, I signed a five-year deal and this is the fifth year on it.

“You want to be able to make that decision for yourself,” Keller said.  “That’d be illegal in another job.”

Maybe it would be, but the NFLPA agreed to allow one player per year to have his ability to leave restricted by the franchise tag.  And if it happens, Keller will be fairly compensated, making $5.962 million guaranteed in 2013.

“My thinking always was that if they want me to, I will play out this deal and sign a new contract [after the season],” Keller said. “That’s my word.  The whole franchise tag deal is crazy.  Somebody played out their contract, but now you can make them come back for another year even if it’s not something they want to do?  That’s not the situation that I’m in right now, but I just think it’s crazy.”

Keller arguably should be thrilled with $5.962 million in 2013.  Injuries coupled with overall offensive anemia likely have made it hard for him to command that kind of cash on the open market.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Dustin Keller doesn’t want the franchise tag”
  1. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 28, 2012 8:15 AM

Franchise tag????

The guy has been playing like he’s wearing a toe tag.

2. drtharrison says: Dec 28, 2012 8:18 AM

In other words, I don’t care how much I am paid, I want out of this crazy place

3. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Dec 28, 2012 8:23 AM

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that these guys went to college.

4. pixelito says: Dec 28, 2012 8:23 AM

Crazy.

5. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Dec 28, 2012 8:29 AM

“Keller arguably should be thrilled with $5.962 million in 2013. Injuries coupled with overall offensive anemia likely have made it hard for him to command that kind of cash on the open market.”

= = = = = = = = = = =

Precisely. The only thing I can think of is maybe Keller just wants out of the New York Jet freakshow that bad — plus Keller might also think he could flourish in a system with a real QB behind center.

6. packerjer says: Dec 28, 2012 8:30 AM

Yeah, that franchise tag is keeping him from a lucrative contract somewhere else. lol.

7. pl4tinum514 says: Dec 28, 2012 8:35 AM

He does have a point though. If you play a contract out with the hopes of going elsewhere, you should be allowed to do it. The franchise tag is just an excuse/free pass for lazy GMs who couldnt get a contract signed.

8. jpb12 says: Dec 28, 2012 8:39 AM

Translation:
    He wants out

9. flavordave says: Dec 28, 2012 8:40 AM

317 yards and 2 TDs this year. And he has a problem with $5.962 MILLION ??? He should be honored that they are idiots enough to consider him for that.

10. billharford31 says: Dec 28, 2012 8:42 AM

This just in… The Jets will use the franchise tag on Mark Sanchez even if he’s under contract, just to give him more money and build his confidence

11. nyjets1017 says: Dec 28, 2012 8:46 AM

This guy played maybe 3 games this year and he is coma inning about the tag? He should be begging for it

12. howiehandles says: Dec 28, 2012 8:51 AM

If the Jets franchise this guy, they deserve each other. How does he think he’s worthy of a franchise tag?

13. britishraven says: Dec 28, 2012 8:52 AM

There is absolutely no chance he gets tagged. If he does, everyone on that front office should be fired immediately

14. newkirk850 says: Dec 28, 2012 8:57 AM

Maybe he just wants get away from the clown show called the JETS! Can you blame him.

15. mp4philly says: Dec 28, 2012 9:28 AM

Every time I hear the rationale these players use about the franchise tag I must remind myself that they run into other human beings for a living.
    What an idiot.

16. karl422 says: Dec 28, 2012 10:31 AM

I am a fan. Dustin (You want ME to Block!) Keller your favorite QB will be gone and so will you. The Jets should gut this team.

17. steelerben says: Dec 28, 2012 11:52 AM

He is a pass catching Tight End. Everyone knows where those all go. You don’t think this kid would rather play in New England for veteran minimum than stick around with the Jets for a MONSTER contract?

18. usmutts says: Dec 28, 2012 12:04 PM

Mark bumbled and stumbled, butt-fumbled.
    Embarrassed and humbled, Jets teammates grumbled
    while Rexy said, “Nay,
    Tim Tebow won’t play.”
    Tho champions guaranteed, his empire pre-crumbled.

19. zeke2517 says: Dec 28, 2012 2:22 PM

“In other words, I don’t care how much I am paid, I want out of this crazy place”

He did not say that at all. Perhaps you didn’t actually read the article.

20. ijahru says: Dec 28, 2012 4:41 PM

He would be overpaid playing for the franchise tag

21. rollerino1 says: Dec 28, 2012 11:31 PM

Don’t blame him for wanting to leave bizarro world.