Quentin Jammer prepares for his last game as a Charger

Quentin+Jammer+Denver+Broncos+v+San+Diego+lNmweFWcmESl Getty Images

Quentin Jammer, who joined the Chargers as the fifth overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft, has been with the team longer than any of his teammates — and longer than all but three players in franchise history. But Jammer expects to suit up for the Chargers for the last time on Sunday.

“Last year, I guess,” Jammer told Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego. “I think about it all the time. Everything I’ve been through – the ups and downs, being a part of this organization for such a long time. Not to know my future is weird, different.”

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith and coach Norv Turner are both expected to be fired next week, and it’s impossible to say until we know who’s taking over the front office whether the Chargers will want Jammer back. But the 34-year-old Jammer sees the writing on the wall: More likely than not a new staff will want to rebuild with younger players, and the Chargers already have three talented younger cornerbacks on the depth chart in Marcus Gilchrist, Antoine Cason and Shareece Wright.

Sunday’s game will be Jammer’s 172nd with the Chargers. Only Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts, future Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau and longtime long snapper David Binn played in more games in franchise history. Jammer said he has been thinking about how hard it will be to say goodbye to the only NFL team he has known.

“I really think about it on days like this after practice,” he said. “And when I get home after and it’s just me in the house. It’s tough. . . . I was sitting in meetings this morning kind of like, ‘Wow! This could be my last Friday practice.'”

After the season Jammer becomes a free agent and will likely, for the first time, wind up on a team other than the Chargers.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
12 Responses to “Quentin Jammer prepares for his last game as a Charger”
  1. boyshole25 says: Dec 29, 2012 3:06 PM

Welcome to Washington as our nickelback.

2. yank3525 says: Dec 29, 2012 3:22 PM

Jammer is one of my favorite Chargers of all-time, but he is done. He simply doesn’t have the speed to keep up with WR anymore.

3. ninjapleazee says: Dec 29, 2012 3:25 PM

Hey Quentin! Cant believe it’s been that long! Just remembered you being my neighbor when you lived in Melrose Place on Riverside in Austin! Hook em horns!

4. jjbadd385 says: Dec 29, 2012 4:15 PM

Well as a Broncos fan, Ive seen alot of Jammer and I think he’s a great player and a real decent guy..Best of luck to ya no matter where u end up!!

5. jamezz23 says: Dec 29, 2012 4:24 PM

Detroit will need you believe me. Still mad we drafted Harrington over you, any player that sticks with a team that he’s drafted with that long has had a very good career.

6. veence69 says: Dec 29, 2012 4:47 PM

You’ve made a lot of money and you’re still healthy, Q. Leave your legacy in tact and retire in beautiful Southern California.

See you in Canton.

7. ferdfteenthousand says: Dec 29, 2012 5:09 PM

He should play safety…not completely sold on Bigby

8. EJ says: Dec 29, 2012 5:14 PM

Hearing the name Jammer automatically makes you think of a lightning bolt. QJ has had a good career with San Diego and he is probably right about retiring now. He can’t have too much left in him at 34 years old.

9. dannymac17 says: Dec 29, 2012 6:09 PM

he knows damn well he cant cover any big time receivers

move to safety you are a hard hitter.

10. arbiterflick says: Dec 29, 2012 9:20 PM

Always been one of my favourite Chargers. He can’t play corner anymore, but I really think he’d be an upgrade at safety opposite Weddle.

11. malibudave66 says: Dec 30, 2012 7:49 AM

I would love to have Mr Jammer on the Raiders so he can show our new guys the skill it takes to be on the Island. Class act and better person!!!Good luck Quentin and Hookem Horns!!!!!!

12. Coach Flores says: Dec 31, 2012 10:08 PM

Thank you for everything you did Quentin, you will always be one of my favorite Chargers!