Vernon Davis not optimistic about playing Sunday

Vernon Davis AP

The San Francisco 49ers can lock up the NFC West division with a Week Seventeen win over the Arizona Cardinals. It sounds increasingly likely, however, that they’ll be playing Sunday’s game without concussed tight end Vernon Davis.

In a late-Friday article entitled “Vernon Davis likely won’t play Sunday,” Ron Kroichick of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Davis “sounded not at all like a player expecting to return to action” during Friday interviews with reporters, and “he’s not optimistic about playing” against Arizona.

“I’ve just got to get a little more comfortable,” said Davis, who suffered the concussion in last Sunday night’s loss to Seattle.

Davis participated in Friday’s practice in a black, no-contact jersey, but is listed as questionable on the injury report and still must pass a simulated contact test before receiving full medical clearance.

“It was pretty brutal,” is how Davis described Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor’s hit. “I don’t think it was legal, no. I saw it on the news, but I didn’t really go in and look at it. I didn’t want to see it.”

The NFL disagreed with Davis, as Chancellor was not fined for the hit.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Vernon Davis not optimistic about playing Sunday”
  1. maximusprime107 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:21 PM

Can’t wait to see how this comment section is going to go!

2. hawkslv says: Dec 29, 2012 12:23 PM

Kam Fired First

3. bigbaldpapahawk says: Dec 29, 2012 12:27 PM

Please enjoy your ride on KamTrack.

4. superputman says: Dec 29, 2012 12:28 PM

Oh come on, “I didn’t really go in and look at it.”… then he really shouldn’t open his mouth about it. It was a clean hit, shoulder to chest.. any football fan with eyeballs can see that.

5. bucfan4lyfe says: Dec 29, 2012 12:28 PM

It was a legal, and awesome. I never though I’d see Vernon Davis take a shot like that, the guy is a beast.

6. thefox61 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:30 PM

The Legion of Boom are not optimistic either.

7. lynchmobb12 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:31 PM

Maybe you should watch it again vernon. Shoulder to The chest, perfect textbook hit. No wonder they call you guys the “forty whiners”

8. garyman1 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:34 PM

I understand WHY the NFL is cracking down…but in this case, I honestly thought that hit was text book. It was a hard but legal hit (shoulder to shoulder). Obviously, the NFL thought so too or the play would have been fined.

9. twodat says: Dec 29, 2012 12:36 PM

When you play, like the 49ers do, to win by intimidation and brute force, it is only a matter of time before you will be met with like force albeit in a legal, clean way. 49ers have concussed and broken the bones of a lot of players on a lot of teams. Better to learn to play the game with finesse and skill. The likelihood you will receive respect instead of retribution increases and so does the likelihood you will be met with respect for your chances not to be injured

10. beastmode5150 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:37 PM

Plus Kamtrack didn’t get fined. Have a great extended nap Vernon.
    GOHAWKS

11. iceburgskin202 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:40 PM

He actually got a roughing call for hitting a guy to hard. They should fine Kapernick for putting him in the situation. It was a great hit and I wish Chancellor played for my skins. Glad to see the NFL saw it like we all did good football!

12. Pacific NW Mark says: Dec 29, 2012 12:41 PM

‘I didn’t really go in and look at it’ but you don’t think it was legal? Someday you’ll make a fine NFL official.

13. southpaw79 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:47 PM

Kam can hold his head high knowing the hit was legal. The Seahawks fans celebrating a player getting injured on the other hand…….. oh who am I kidding, that was nice hit. As a Niners fan I would celebrate that too if it was the other way around. Good job Kam.

14. illinininer says: Dec 29, 2012 12:54 PM

I thought it was a great hit. The NFL was built on hits like this, but everyone seems to be ignoring the fact he was defenseless. That’s what the penalty was for.In today’s NFL, defensive players are expected to wait until a reciever establishes himself after the catch before they can hit them. The referee never said anything about helmet to helmet. Props to Kam. Suck it up Vernon. I understand you can’t push through a concussion, but quit whining.

15. ripster65 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:55 PM

interesting…I’d never heard them called the forty-whiners until they became relevant and started beating up other teams again last year. So big deal. Seahawks won one of 2 games against the 49ers this year and likely won’t even win the division and the only way they’ll even get a home playoff game is if everyone EXCEPT the 6th seeded team loses. Props on a nice win but tap those brakes. The Seahawks have still never accomplished anything of note.

16. daknight93 says: Dec 29, 2012 12:56 PM

49ers play with brutal force and intimidation…what goes around, comes around..seattle player gave Vernon “A Legal Boom Shot” called a legal big hit, this is not a bounty ok Godell.

17. thingamajig says: Dec 29, 2012 1:04 PM

Vernon is lucky he didn’t play 30 years ago.

18. cubsin2049 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:05 PM

Even if he and Smith don’t play, Harbaugh will still petition them for NFC Players of the Week. “They’re good people you know” Harbaugh would say. “If they were playing they would have my vote for players of the week. So even if they aren’t they still should be considered because, well, if they were playing then they would be players of the week.” Also would be quoted as saying “they might play and then again they might not play. Just don’t know. We’ll see if they can play and if they can play then they might play. But if they can’t play, well then they might play because there is a chance they could play.”

And this little gem: “We let Seattle beat us. They didn’t play better than us, we just let them win. If we decided to play then we would have won and Vernon Davis and Justin Smith should be players of the week. Our fullback should be considered too. But we let them win. AND DON”T QUESTION ME BECAUSE I’M JIM HARBAUGH.”

19. bigbaldpapahawk says: Dec 29, 2012 1:05 PM

I doubt many fans are celebrating an injury. He just got JACKED UP is all and it was a sweet hit.

20. cubsin2049 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:08 PM

Oh by the way Vernon — It was a legal hit, you got your A@% lit up and you went out like a dazed baby. Now stop acting like one, man up or we’ll be sending you back to the locker room.

21. eessppnn says: Dec 29, 2012 1:08 PM

Nothing to do with this hit, but if the NFL really wanted to stop these hits. They would add a time out rule much like the NHL has. So not only are you penalized in yardage, but also in time that player must be out of the game. Obviously difference’s would have to be 1 series and up depending on how gratuitous the hit or injury to the player?
    But if say a DB leads with the helmet and get 15 yards and must sit out 2 series, not just 2 plays. They would be not so inclined to make those hits!
    Not against hard hits, just saying

22. surferbum01 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:08 PM

Just get better and healthy Vernon. I haven’t seen a hit like that and that was LEGAL in an unrecalled period. Just get better buddy. Don’t need you talking to a wall in 10 years.

23. steviemo says: Dec 29, 2012 1:10 PM

Of course he didn’t see it. All he’s seeing are stars.

24. surferbum01 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:10 PM

cubsin2049—

and how did this turn into a Harbaugh bash?

25. ripster65 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:11 PM

cubsin2049 says:Dec 29, 2012 1:05 PM
    “…a bunch of crap I’m putting in Harbaughs’ mouth…”.
    ——————————
    Anything else you’d like to think he’d say?

26. thefox61 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:17 PM

ripster65 says:
    Dec 29, 2012 12:55 PM
    ••••••••••••
    Wrong! All the Seahawks need to get a home playoff game is a loss by the Whiners this weekend. A Packer loss and a Whiners loss this weekend would give the Seahawks the No. 2 seed and a first round bye and a home playoff game.

27. cyraider says: Dec 29, 2012 1:20 PM

Somewhere DaWeapon is doing curls and crying….

28. justjoevideo says: Dec 29, 2012 1:24 PM

POOR 49ers. : (

29. liddogg33 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:28 PM

I dont think it was legal????? Despite the fact the over senitive nfl found the hit to be textbook??? Typical whiney,excuse making 49er!!!! He is obviously still concussed!!! Man i was right there in century link 3 rows up and that hit made my xmas!!! Be warned nfl if you come into the land of the giants be prepared to make statements like ” im too scared too actually watch me get BLOWN UP by Kam Bam on national tv!!!!

GO HAWKS!!!!

30. hor2012 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:39 PM

It was a clean hit. And, he’s not playing against the Cards. Why would he, they don’t need him to win the game. And, I’ll say it again. The niners troubles started when the benched Alex Smith. He’s the only QB on that roster that can lead them to New Orleans. Without him I wouldn’t be surprised if thier one and done in the playoffs

31. ripster65 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:42 PM

thefox61 says:Dec 29, 2012 1:17 PM

ripster65 says:
    Dec 29, 2012 12:55 PM
    ••••••••••••
    ———-
    from Dumb and Dumber:”So you’re saying there’s still a chance?”

32. aaroncurryisbust says: Dec 29, 2012 1:42 PM

Vernon Davis is and always has been a stupid whiny diva

33. cameltoehoe says: Dec 29, 2012 1:43 PM

Where are all these Hawks fans coming from? Did someone open the lid from the gutter?

34. ripster65 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:46 PM

I’m NOT wrong in stating that it’s NOT LIKELY. I didn’t say it was impossible, just unlikely.

35. ripster65 says: Dec 29, 2012 1:48 PM

and for what it’s worth, I’m a 49er fan and I saw nothing wrong with that hit…

36. skinsgal4life says: Dec 29, 2012 1:58 PM

I’m not a fan of either team, but that looked like a perfectly legal hit to me. I’m glad the NFL did not impose a fine on Kam.

37. 9ereddie says: Dec 29, 2012 2:05 PM

Seahawk fans crack me up, the hit was clean, yes Vernon should zip it and take it like a man. What have the Seachickens ever done, they won’t win the NFC west and they can’t win on the road. Maybe next year guys, not gonna happen is year!! HaHa!!

38. joey49er says: Dec 29, 2012 2:07 PM

Wow u guys are still chirpin about the game with seattle lol!!!! that game must of been ur superbowl… all u seattle fans know this the 49ers are winning the division!!!! we will win the west for the 2nd year in the row…also u will be on the road because u did not EARN the west division… vernon is a beast and will be ready for the playoffs…. seattle u guys are in 2nd place that means u dont have braggin rights lol!!! right now would be a good time to jump on the 49ers busss

39. mrgrant23 says: Dec 29, 2012 2:30 PM

i love how seahawk fans are talking like they got the superbowl in the bag. trying to talk all big. you cant talk until you have at least one superbowl ring! plus you wont win the division so keep dreaming.

40. rufusporter says: Dec 29, 2012 2:30 PM

How embarrassing for niner fans. Hope his head clears up.

41. raiderrob21 says: Dec 29, 2012 2:44 PM

Vernon get your head outta the sand or your rear and watch the replay. Then you wont sound so stupid calling the hit illegal. Btw, next time hold on to the ball.

RAIDER NATION!!!!!

42. joey49er says: Dec 29, 2012 2:47 PM

Can u imagine if seattle had goldson a true probowl safety on their team laying hits on people every game??? vernon got up and walked away!!!when goldson hits u they have to carry u off the field lol….And thats why the 49ers have nine probowlers

43. raiderlyfe510 says: Dec 29, 2012 2:59 PM

LOL. Better hope Vernon Davis didnt catch the johnnie lee Higgins syndrome. Scared to play football after taking a huge hit.

44. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Dec 29, 2012 3:24 PM

I have really admired and respected Vernon Davis ever since he responded so positively to Coach Singletary’s “We Want Winners” discipline.

However, I disagree with his take on this matter. Number one, he just assumes the hit must have been illegal — apparently because it didn’t feel good. He gives no supporting rationale why he considers the hit illegal.

Moreover, he evidently refuses to watch the tape – so he’s formed an opinion without be willing to process and objectively assess the highly visible evidence.

No dog in this fight, but I definitely hope Vernon feels better, and suffers no lasting effects. But I just don’t think his take on this one makes a whole lot of sense.

45. blackfootkiller says: Dec 29, 2012 3:55 PM

Who else thinks Vern’s going to have a case of alligator arms if these teams meet at some point in the post season?
    I do…
    Go Hawks!

46. 49erstim says: Dec 29, 2012 3:57 PM

Lol @ mouthy Seahawks fans. Where were you guys hiding? Even during the offseason when I was saying how they’d be improved and this was a new-look NFC West there were only TWO Seahawk fans backing me up. Now there are 20 of you? Get real bandwagon fans. When Seattle gets bounced in the Wild Card by Dallas I wanna see you loudmouths back here. One good win and you expect somebody to hand you guys a trophy. “We want the ball and we’re gonna score!” You still haven’t learned.

47. ninerdan49 says: Dec 29, 2012 4:23 PM

As a 49ers fan, it was a clean textbook hit. However, this was called a “Hit on a defenseless receiver” and not a “helmet to helmet”. If you follow the rules, you understand that the correct call was made. Stop acting like Davis got some favoritism in this case.

48. ern215 says: Dec 29, 2012 4:31 PM

im not a fan of wither team, but i do think seattle can beat the 49ers again in the playoffs, based on the way their personnel matches up, this seattle team reminds me of the way that the giants caught fire heading into the playoffs, i think seattle win it all this year, but its still RAIDER NATION FOR LIFE

49. frankyvito says: Dec 29, 2012 5:20 PM

Still wasn’t as bad a call as the one on Culliver

50. joe400e says: Dec 29, 2012 5:28 PM

It’s a great thing for the Niners and the NFCW to see the Seahawks are for real. Nothing pushes a team better than competition and a good ass kicking once in a while keeps teams focused. As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. With more than one team from the NFCW in the playoffs maybe the NFL will realize great football is played on the west coast too!

51. brindlegum says: Dec 29, 2012 8:31 PM

The defenseless player rule should not have applied here. One of 3 things must have happened for that rule to apply –

1. The defenseless player’s head or neck cannot be hit.
    2. The hitting player cannot use the top of their helmet.
    3. The hitting player cannot launch so that both feet leave the ground and the top of the helmet hits the defenseless player anywhere.

The officials threw a flag because the hit was too brutal and fast for them to see it clearly. Need instant replay to be sure the Davis’ head was not hit.

52. sixjak says: Dec 29, 2012 10:26 PM

blackfootkiller says:
    Dec 29, 2012 3:55 PM
    I do…
    Go Hawks!

_____________________

Probably, but the 9ers have plenty of hitters to induce alligator arms on the Seahawks’s squad too. Expect payback when these two teams meet again.

53. segurjo says: Dec 29, 2012 11:19 PM

Davis, man up! take the hit like a man…

54. segurjo says: Dec 29, 2012 11:27 PM

Davis, man up and take it like a man!
    analyze it all you want. that was a real clean hit..

55. chawk12thman says: Dec 30, 2012 3:37 AM

I understand his not thinking it was legal. He is still wondering if someone even got the license plate of the truck that hit him………Glad it appears he is going to be okay.

56. ninerdan49 says: Dec 30, 2012 3:39 AM

@brindlegum

Don’t taylor your Google search results so that they validate your argument.

A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player

This is why the flag was thrown, and why there wasn’t a fine. Fail Mary.

57. brindlegum says: Oct 12, 2013 12:29 AM

@ninerdan49

Your quote shows that Davis was a defenseless receiver, and I agree.

Read my original post again. I gave reasons that the hit – on a defenseless receiver – was legal. (By the way, I used the word defenseless receiver a few times, so it should’ve been obvious that I considered Davis one.)

You CAN hit defenseless receivers. You just can’t do a few things (again, see my first post).