Adrian Peterson says he wants to qualify for the Olympics

Minnesota Vikings v Houston Texans Getty Images

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson could be on the cusp of bringing home a lot of hardware for the remarkable season he’s put together coming off a torn ACL last year.

Peterson is among the favorites to win the most valuable player, offensive player of the year and comeback player of the year awards at season’s end. With one game to go in the regular season, Peterson has rushed for 1,898 yards and 11 touchdowns. Peterson needs 102 yards to become the seventh back in league history to reach the 2,000 yard plateau and 208 yards to catch Eric Dickerson for the single-season rushing record.

Yet Peterson may be seeking an even greater award down the road: an Olympic medal.

In an interview on In Depth with Graham Bensinger, Peterson said he wants to attempt to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games in track. He hopes to join the likes of Bob Hayes, James Jett and Michael Bates as people able to play in the NFL and earn an Olympic medal.

Peterson said he was planning on making a run at the Olympics before he injured his knee last year. He had planned on running in a few track meets over the off-season to see how he felt running track again. Peterson said he wants to qualify for the Olympics in the 200- and 400-meter races.

“That’s a goal of mine that I want to accomplish,” Peterson said. “…Now that I’m back and refreshed, I think I’m going to give it a shot still.”

Peterson even feels he can take on Usain Bolt, the Jamaican sprinter who holds the world records in the 100- and 200-meter races.

“I feel like I can stand up to any challenge,” Peterson said. “I know a lot of people laugh and be like ‘come on, let’s be real with yourself.’ It’s Usain Bolt, but I feel like you can accomplish anything you put your mind to.”

Peterson said he’s thinking about attending the Penn Relays or another meet to “test the waters” and see how he fares against the competition.

While being able to beat Usain Bolt may be a wee bit far-fetched, the thought that he could make an Olympic team is not. After the recovery he’s had this year, it’s hard to say Adrian Peterson can’t do something that he puts his mind to.

Permalink 119 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
119 Responses to “Adrian Peterson says he wants to qualify for the Olympics”
  1. kevin1285 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:24 AM

Good luck to him. I don’t see him winning a medal against athletes who train solely for the track events, but as a Packer fan it would be nice to finally have him on our team.

USA

2. pterodonktyl says: Dec 30, 2012 12:26 AM

Finally, a race he can’t lose to the Packers.

3. doe22us says: Dec 30, 2012 12:26 AM

Usain Bolt now thats a little bit far fetched, Olympic track stars are a different ball game Adrian, stick with what you know.

4. legeisyaj says: Dec 30, 2012 12:27 AM

Come on. Stop.

5. johnschatzan says: Dec 30, 2012 12:29 AM

Would of been interesting watching him compete. I think by 2016 his body and age will start to take a toll. He’s not old by any means but he is a workhorse and his body is still taking a beating.

6. samapoc says: Dec 30, 2012 12:30 AM

It would be interesting to see him try this out. I don’t think he can do it, but it can’t hurt to try!

7. rainger says: Dec 30, 2012 12:32 AM

8. timb12 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:34 AM

Do you think if he wins MVP he’ll admit that he isn’t human in his acceptance speech? To be fair, I think only humans should be able to win MVP so my vote goes to Manning. Even though he resembles a distant cousin if Megamind.

9. ame123 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:36 AM

I think we’re looking at the best RB in the history of the NFL in his prime right now.

10. FinFan68 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:36 AM

He is a remarkable athlete and it’s a nice goal/dream but I don’t think he has olympic/world class speed.

11. 7ransponder says: Dec 30, 2012 12:37 AM

He would probably have to work pretty hard on his acceleration for that to happen, but like the article says, if he puts his mind to it, I can’t see this being out of reach.

This man is a true sportsman.

12. azdesertdweller says: Dec 30, 2012 12:37 AM

I’m amazed on how well AP has been running this year. He’s a pure beast. An awesome HB, and a future HOFer.

With that said, maybe he could qualify at track, but I see him more as a football player then a track guy.

I could be wrong, but if he does qualify, good for him. I wish well.

13. hurrayforyogapants says: Dec 30, 2012 12:39 AM

Maybe he should be a little more focused on this Sundays game…

14. mrwright313 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:41 AM

Please let this happen, I’d love to see a 31 year old 220 lb sprinter in the Olympics, GOGOGOGO!

15. veence69 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:42 AM

Doubt Adrian Peterson. I dare you.

16. amanistumor says: Dec 30, 2012 12:42 AM

How can you not root for this guy?

I say go USA!!!!

17. huskersrock1 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:42 AM

Normally I would scoff, however this is AD AP we are talking about here. More power to you Mr. Peterson, you are a true football superstar.

18. poiuyt7 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:46 AM

Peterson may be fast, but there’s a big difference speed on the football field and speed on the track. Plus, Peterson has had several years of having his legs pounded. Those other players mentioned were sprinters before entering into the NFL. Elite sprinters today would leave him in their dust.

19. brokentreehousemusic says: Dec 30, 2012 12:48 AM

I thought pro athletes can’t compete in track events in the Olympics. Isn’t this exactly why Jim Thorpe lost a medal?

20. sliceanddic3 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:49 AM

Good for him. One truely hard worker, you don’t see that too much anymore. Good luck AD.

21. edwinmoses says: Dec 30, 2012 12:54 AM

cue the worse athletes to give opinions….

22. bigtexas27 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:58 AM

Ok. I am amazed by what Arian Peterson has done this season and he should be in the running for the MVP, but comeback player of the year?? He got injured week #16 last year – so he missed one game. Manning missed an entire season and there was a question as to IF he would play again. Yes, AP’s injury was severe and he made a remarkably quick recovery, but again he only missed ONE GAME.

MVP – Toss up
    Comeback Player – Manning – hands down.

23. bolts0621 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:59 AM

He has football speed…not track speed…he wouldn’t even qualify in the USA let alone the Olympics.

24. chitown26 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:01 AM

This dude is a specimen. Absolutely amazing.

25. jasons81 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:01 AM

So let me get this straight… Chris Johnson, who’s actually really fast, says something like this and the PFT reporters laugh at him… Adrian Peterson says pretty well the same thing and you guys talk it up like its a real possibility… WTF?

26. Christopher Leonard says: Dec 30, 2012 1:02 AM

I love the guy as a longtime Viking fan.. But as a track and field coach .. Please don’t embarrass yourself AP. There are kids running an indoor track meet this cold winter night that’ll never score a touchdown on tv, but have a better shot at making an Olympic team than you. Typical football player.. 200 and 400.. Looks so easy to them. They have no idea how how many kids,, and yes “kids” can beat them. But try AP.. I still love ya.

27. mattw70 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:04 AM

Could he pass the drug test? They test for HGH don’t they..NFL doesn’t.

28. randallflagg52 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:04 AM

And I want to be Batman…

It ain’t going to happen.

29. aaroncurryisbust says: Dec 30, 2012 1:04 AM

That’s even less likely than this fraud’s likelihood of winning a Superb Owl ring.

30. aaroncurryisbust says: Dec 30, 2012 1:05 AM

Nobody cares. Marshawn Lynch is still better than him. PAC-12 UP IN THIS!

31. timegambit says: Dec 30, 2012 1:07 AM

AD, I love ya, but Bolt would blow past you like you were in reverse.

We can start training by running past every gb defensive back, after that you can run track, bobsled, joust or take on any ram on our planet, but for now lets just gain yards.

Wreck’em Adrian!

32. remyje says: Dec 30, 2012 1:07 AM

freak of nature…. how can you not respect this guy??????

33. coondabye says: Dec 30, 2012 1:11 AM

Why is it so hard to get these gentlemen side by side and race?

34. eastsideballa says: Dec 30, 2012 1:15 AM

Megatron would smoke this cat.

35. corchamp says: Dec 30, 2012 1:18 AM

Last week he says he can get 2500 yards rushing, this week he says he can take on Usain Bolt…I used to really like AP but he is starting to rub me the wrong way. Focus on getting your team to the playoffs dude, not individual accomplishments.

36. moondog7 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:20 AM

Love AD he’s all heart all the time. He is every thing that is right with the nfl and football. But in a foot race jamal charles and cj the slasher rbs would beat him hands down

37. jshawaii22 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:24 AM

I generally only watch the gymnastics and what little shooting they have, but I’d tune in to see him run. Rather see him in the Decathlon. He should get with the Cardshian’s Big Daddy. He would win every sprint and given a year to train, probably win long jump and could learn the rest. I see him taking Gold, not just be a spectator and run against Bolt.

js

38. jimbo75025 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:26 AM

Hmm, well I have never really pictured AD as a “speed” back, more of a guy who runs over you and then churns for another ten yards before he is finally gang tackled. That being said, sure he could still put over a lap on me by the time I could stumble 1/2 a lap.

I sadly could see AD doing something like Herschel Walker did though with bobsledding where speed, strength, and coordination are all keys. Plus the Winter Olympics are coming in 18 months.

39. iamthorny says: Dec 30, 2012 1:27 AM

AD= Always Dreaming

The guy couldn’t outrun #37, Sam Shields, who plays CB for the Packers much less Usain Bolt, mon.

40. teamobijuan says: Dec 30, 2012 1:28 AM

Best RB ever.

41. vikesfansteve says: Dec 30, 2012 1:29 AM

No chance to beat Bolt.

42. purpwalk says: Dec 30, 2012 1:32 AM

how about winning a super bowl first?

43. fdugrad says: Dec 30, 2012 1:32 AM

I’ll just bet the Vikes will be THRILLED to hear he wants to put that kind of stress, strain and milage while training for The Gold, on his legs/body!!

44. irrelevantvoiceofreason says: Dec 30, 2012 1:39 AM

I wouldn’t put making an Olympic run past him, dude has proved he can do what he sets his mind too, also nice to see he is thinking realistic

45. ryanw822 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:41 AM

If Peterson plays tomorrow then its obvious the NFL doesnt really care about the health of the players. Clearly Peterson has a concussion.

46. HCG. says: Dec 30, 2012 1:48 AM

He should do well. Crazy.

47. shorttracknews says: Dec 30, 2012 1:48 AM

I’m sure the Vikings fans will bash me but it’s getting old hearing about A “ME” P. AP wants to reach 2000 yards, AP wants to break the record, AP wants to win the MVP, AP wants Comeback Player of the Year, AP wants to make the Olympics, AP wants a gold medal. Would be nice to see AP mention he wants to make the playoffs…

48. uberdepressedbrownsredsfan says: Dec 30, 2012 1:53 AM

That is awesome, best of luck AD

49. iamthorny says: Dec 30, 2012 1:54 AM

AD was too embarrassed to admit the other thing he wanted to do…

Cue Dan Fogleberg:

And it’s run for the roses
    As fast as you can
    Your fate is delivered
    Your moment’s at hand
    It’s the chance of a lifetime
    In a lifetime of chance
    And it’s high time you joined
    In the dance

50. bigdingyguy says: Dec 30, 2012 1:54 AM

Beating Usain Bolt? Awesome, bets of luck AP! Now if you will excuse me, I have to get back to Earth before the Stargate closes

51. contract says: Dec 30, 2012 1:57 AM

His team is fighting for a playoff spot, and all this guy does is talk about individual records and personal goals? Someone needs to have a talk with Adrian Peterson.

52. hockeyflow33 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:59 AM

I can’t imagine his contract would allow this

53. gbatap says: Dec 30, 2012 2:02 AM

AD isn’t even among the fastest guys in the NFL let alone the fastest sprinters in the world. No chance he qualifies.

54. murfdeezy says: Dec 30, 2012 2:10 AM

Good for him. Every team would kill to have a guy with his kind of talent and that kind of drive on their team. He is just a remarkable football player…it’s hard not to like him.

55. bullsonparade67 says: Dec 30, 2012 2:22 AM

Adrian Peterson is a beast. I wouldnt be surprised if he did make the olympics

56. tokyosandblaster says: Dec 30, 2012 2:26 AM

He seems to be very focused on the game that can get his team into the playoffs.

57. baherr2012 says: Dec 30, 2012 2:41 AM

I hope the man gets it done he is fast and I really want to see him break the record against the the snakers

58. packfaninvikeland says: Dec 30, 2012 2:53 AM

he would be a beast long jumper.

59. vikingsfan1994 says: Dec 30, 2012 2:56 AM

Wow Adrian Peterson finds ways to inspire me every day.

60. bspurloc says: Dec 30, 2012 3:03 AM

why not the Decathlon?

61. wayne1693 says: Dec 30, 2012 3:09 AM

To strive for a Gold Medal is amazing…but the extra wear-&-hopefully-not-tear on the knees during such a grueling Olympic training regimen may end-up shortening his career as an elite running-back.

62. fballlvr22 says: Dec 30, 2012 3:16 AM

BEAST. Enough Said.

63. realskipbayless says: Dec 30, 2012 3:37 AM

AP one of a kind player.

64. fuglyflorio says: Dec 30, 2012 3:42 AM

There’s no football in the Olympics Einstein.

65. btwicey says: Dec 30, 2012 3:46 AM

I love this guy more and more each day. Gosh he’s an amazing individual

66. daknight93 says: Dec 30, 2012 3:52 AM

This guy luvs challenges…It’s A.P. if he puts his mind to something, best believe he will do it.

67. midwestwarrior says: Dec 30, 2012 4:12 AM

good to see he is more concerned with more personal stats and himself than actually making the playoffs. seems that he and only he alone matters , not a shocking development here

68. favresweiner says: Dec 30, 2012 4:34 AM

I love the way Adrian Peterson plays football. But just because you are an amazing running back doesn’t mean that you can beat the fastest man to ever live in a race.

69. wehrmactblitz says: Dec 30, 2012 5:19 AM

Mighty full of himself. AD seems to be soaking up all the idolization. I’d rather he be focused on the game and not how great “they” all say he is.

70. panthrobro says: Dec 30, 2012 5:26 AM

They all think that until they line up and get a beat down by world class sprinters. I’d bet anyone reading this he couldn’t beat Chris Johnson in the 200 and he’s too muscular to run the 400. DeSean Jackson would beat him in both events.

Cool story AD. Now stick to running it down teams throats bro.

71. cabby782 says: Dec 30, 2012 5:32 AM

And I want to be an astronaut

72. indycolt45 says: Dec 30, 2012 5:37 AM

Peterson will be 31 when the Olympics roll around again. Not sure how fast he will be at that point. More power to him, though.

73. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Dec 30, 2012 5:50 AM

How about just qualifying for post season play first !

74. smithviking69 says: Dec 30, 2012 5:59 AM

If anyone can do it, Adrian can. Skol Vikings!

75. skoobyfl says: Dec 30, 2012 6:09 AM

Why not become an astronaut and a train conductor as well?

76. jakeblues68 says: Dec 30, 2012 6:14 AM

He got caught from behind several times this year. As much as I like him, I think his self-confidence might have edged over into delusional territory.

77. southridge23 says: Dec 30, 2012 6:51 AM

The Olympics’ drug testing is a little more strict than nfl bud

78. idoesthis25 says: Dec 30, 2012 7:03 AM

Good look all day Peterson, a true inspiration to many suffering from adversity, as a Cowboy fan, I applaud your will and determination and hope many athletes strive to admire your heart.

79. idoesthis25 says: Dec 30, 2012 7:04 AM

Good Luck*

80. allen227 says: Dec 30, 2012 7:07 AM

If anybody can AP can.

81. mnjoemama says: Dec 30, 2012 7:16 AM

MVP

82. stellarperformance says: Dec 30, 2012 7:21 AM

Realistic self-confidence is admirable, otherwise it’s called boasting. I think Peterson is the real deal. I hope he is at least able to give it a shot.

83. 8ovie8 says: Dec 30, 2012 7:22 AM

Peterson is an exceptional athlete no doubt…but most olympic athletes don’t tear their MCL and although he recovered from it to perform great at his current profession, what effect will it have in 4 years? Not to mention the other beatings his body will endure? First it was Dickerson now Bolt? Will Peterson also be announcing his run at POTUS in the near future?

84. damayan5 says: Dec 30, 2012 7:29 AM

Way to disrespect olympic atheletes. This is just arrogant chest bumping.

85. packerfaninsandiego says: Dec 30, 2012 7:29 AM

Dickerson got his record in 14 games, unlike the 16 games AP is running against. Lets say ED got another 200 yds for games 15 and 16, Peterson would need another 410 yds. If he breaks ED’s record, there should be an asterisk

86. fatcamper says: Dec 30, 2012 7:47 AM

It’s not that hard for me to think Adrian isn’t going to be able to qualify for the Olympics at 31 years old. Football and track are mildly related, but so are writing for a football blog and becoming a poet laureate.

87. jfibertkc says: Dec 30, 2012 7:49 AM

This guy needs to stop, he sounds exactly like Chris Johnson before he started to suck. One thing at a time Adrian. You could learn something valuable from how Jamaal Charles adresses the media. With class and always humble.

88. gbpicksix says: Dec 30, 2012 7:51 AM

I am not saying I think he can do it but I am definately not betting against Adrian Peterson anytime soon. This guy is Impressive and that is an understatement.

89. lostsok says: Dec 30, 2012 7:55 AM

You have to carry too much weight as an NFL running back to transit to track anymore.

Bob Hayes was 5’11” 185. James Jett was 5’10” 170.

Bolt is 6’5″ 190. A muscular beanpole.

Peterson is listed at 6’1″ 217. He would have to carry a lot of mass in a track race. Helpful in the NFL, but a big hindrance in track. Or drop a lot of weight…

90. youngs79 says: Dec 30, 2012 7:56 AM

This is one athlete that I do not doubt. If it’s a goal of his, he will probably do it. It has been fun watching him this season.

91. leafeaterx says: Dec 30, 2012 7:57 AM

Two great, but very different athletes. I doubt AP can run a consistent 9.90s 100m, let alone be in the same frame as Usain Bolt. The converse is that I don’t see Bolt busting through NFL level talent, breaking tackles, cutback vision, etc. that make AP great.

Maybe he would be better on the bobsled. Herschel Walker did that I believe.

92. dk1888 says: Dec 30, 2012 8:01 AM

Usain Bolt will be shaking in his Puma’s!

93. milksteak78 says: Dec 30, 2012 8:10 AM

After the year he is having post injury, I wouldn’t put anything past him.

94. flavordave says: Dec 30, 2012 8:11 AM

Sounds like Im going to the Penn relays to see this one.

95. rodgers419 says: Dec 30, 2012 8:16 AM

This is reminiscent of track players thinking they can play in the NFL because they can run fast. Good luck, Adrian, but don’t get your hopes up.

96. fredsingleton says: Dec 30, 2012 8:18 AM

I’d like to see a group of the fastest NFL player and see how they do as a relay team in a Olympic track competition. Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Mike Wallace, Jamaal Charles/DeSean Jackson?

It would definitely be fun to watch.

97. EJ says: Dec 30, 2012 8:21 AM

Usain Bolt? C’mon Adrian did you fall and bump your head? Bolt is untouchable. You may be fast but not U.B. fast.

98. bcjim says: Dec 30, 2012 8:41 AM

99. garyman1 says: Dec 30, 2012 8:41 AM

Please allow me to quote Leslie Frazer:

“Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo”

100. youngs79 says: Dec 30, 2012 8:50 AM

packerfaninsandiego says:Dec 30, 2012 7:29 AM

Do some research idiot. It was a 16 game schedule for Dickerson as well. The glaring difference is Dickerson fumbled 14 times in his record breaking season. That is more than Adrian has fumbled in the last 4 seasons.

101. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 30, 2012 9:10 AM

Who wouldn’t daydream about a different occupation if they had to play their entire career for the Vikings?

102. mikellie says: Dec 30, 2012 9:48 AM

ame123 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:36 AM

Uhhh…..NO. That would be Emmitt Smith. Numbers don’t lie.

103. taintedsaints2009 says: Dec 30, 2012 9:51 AM

Harvin is faster than Adrian. So is josh robinson. Webb might be too.

104. edawg7l says: Dec 30, 2012 10:31 AM

I like Adrian Peterson. He is a great athlete. However, there is no way he would qualify for the Olympics. These guys train solely to run sprints.

105. smith62477 says: Dec 30, 2012 10:32 AM

The other big issue, is the guys he mentioned did the Olympics before they ever played a NFL game. AP better be ready to not play NFL in 2015. He has to train pretty much all of 2015, just to get ready for the trials in June of 16.

106. dragonfly99 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:44 PM

I hope he does attempt this because I would love to see it, but I’m guessing it’s all just talk. He isn’t even the fastest guy in the NFL.

107. randallflagg52 says: Dec 30, 2012 3:00 PM

If it were that easy to jump from football to the olympics I’m sure any of Al Davis’ WR or DB draft pick would have done that rather than play for Oakland.

108. carolinaking says: Dec 30, 2012 4:57 PM

seeing that he is a god i could see that happening

109. purpwalk says: Dec 30, 2012 11:31 PM

MVP

110. hrmlss says: Dec 31, 2012 12:42 PM

He could try to make it as a pusher in the Bobsled, I could see that one.

111. keepingitrealdumb says: Dec 31, 2012 2:59 PM

AP is great .. and he _is_ really fast .. but how come football players (like CJ2K) don’t seem to understand that track at the Olympics level is a whole different breed of fast?

Usain Bolt and his teammate J Blake got speed that can even rival some 4-legged animals .. common NFL’ers .. stop talking crazy.

112. dafc0n says: Dec 31, 2012 7:57 PM

Hey, the dude is only 26 years old, let him have his dream, don’t any of you guys remember how dunb we were at 26??????????

113. johnsticle says: Dec 31, 2012 8:17 PM

If Peterson doesn’t get the MVP this year… no one should get it.

114. pillowporkers says: Jan 1, 2013 12:14 PM

Finally, a race he can’t lose to the Packers.

———————————————————

Actually, I think he’s been using the Packers defense to train for the 400 between his two games against the Pack.

115. draculalambert says: Jan 4, 2013 4:40 PM

This guy is easy to hate, isn’t he? What an arrogant guy.

116. bikelikemike says: Jan 6, 2013 12:03 PM

rainger says: Dec 30, 2012 12:32 AM

“I dont get this AP being a COMEBACK player. AP did not miss last season. Yes it is true he had a very bad injury and recovered faster than is humanly possible but I thought COMEBACK players were players who missed a season or most of a seasom due to being on IR. That is not AP. But then the Media can swing it any way it wants for those it likes and those it does not.”
    ———————————————————–
    You don’t get it??? What are you; retarded?

117. bikelikemike says: Jan 6, 2013 12:20 PM

mikellie says: Dec 30, 2012 9:48 AM

ame123 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:36 AM

Uhhh…..NO. That would be Emmitt Smith. Numbers don’t lie.
    ————————————————————
    Aaaah… NO. That’s really stupid. ONE number doesn’t dictate the overall. Just… Wow. Barry Sanders retired very early, and everyone I know believes he’s hands down the best ever. Numbers- schmumbers, you clown. Many, MANY people still believe Jim Brown is #1 or 2- leaving Emmit at #3- IF that!! And after watching this last season, I think everyone is re-evaluating the top few. And tons of people who’ve been watching the NFL for 48 years (like me) are thinking AP is quite possibly the GOAT.

118. bikelikemike says: Jan 6, 2013 12:31 PM

bcjim says: Dec 30, 2012 8:41 AM

“As far as I can tell, and I could be wrong, his HS bests are 10.66 and 21.69. Fast yes but there are legions of guys that ran those times in HS and never went anywhere.”
    ————————————————————
    You ever hear of improving? Training? Learning technique- that you weren’t privy to in your dumb HS? You think perhaps Usain Bolt ran faster when he was in HS? Child, puh-lease.

119. shane167 says: Feb 10, 2013 9:38 AM

i give him a very good chance at getting a medal, a lot of people don’t know if he didn’t pursue his NFl dream he could’ve become the next Track Superstar, so to all you people that think he has no clue what he’s getting into he does