Other moves possible, but Sparano’s gone in New York

Tony Sparano, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow AP

The exact course Jets owner Woody Johnson will send his franchise in the coming days isn’t known yet.

But one thing has become clear, there will be coaching changes.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that offensive coordinator Tony Sparano won’t be back next year, which isn’t much of a surprise to anyone.

The Jets are 30th in the league in offense, with their alleged attempts to use Tim Tebow a fantastic flop.

But Sparano might not be the extent of the changes.

Special teams coach Mike Westhoff is retiring and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s contract is up, setting the stage for significant changes regardless what Johnson decides to do with head coach Rex Ryan or general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Other moves possible, but Sparano’s gone in New York”
  1. 305phinphan says: Dec 30, 2012 10:26 AM

Wow! Who didnt see this comming?

2. rollore says: Dec 30, 2012 10:31 AM

I’ll take a chance on Pettine, but Dennis Thurman must be included in the deal.

3. mazblast says: Dec 30, 2012 10:31 AM

Getting rid of a few underlings isn’t going to do it. Woody needs to clean house now. Perhaps he should even try to sell the team, as he’s shown no ability to put together a winning organization.

4. kappy32 says: Dec 30, 2012 10:32 AM

Send them all on their way. Keeping Rex will just prolong the inevitable as firing Schottenheimer last year was doing the same. The Jets need a complete change of culture from the top down.

5. bigblue00 says: Dec 30, 2012 10:40 AM

While they are all still together I would like to take the opportunity to say “thanks for the laughs”!

6. jetshorty says: Dec 30, 2012 10:42 AM

Rex will be there next year. He’s not a bad coach, just an awful judge of talent. This is the first year they are under 500 in 5 or 6 years. Plus, there’s about 8 to 10 teams also looking for a head coach so the amount of talent available didn’t make sense to replace a coach still under contract.
    Woody needs to find a GM who can actually draft talent, and will keep Rex in his place…

7. randallflagg52 says: Dec 30, 2012 10:43 AM

Baltimore would love to have Rex back as defensive coordinator, just so long as he keeps his mouth shut.

8. toybkshr says: Dec 30, 2012 10:52 AM

Rex = another very good coordinator not ready for the top job!

9. buccobrigade says: Dec 30, 2012 10:56 AM

What they need is a good QB

10. wallyhorse says: Dec 30, 2012 11:00 AM

Rex could very well be joining them:

I think Woody Johnson is sick of Rex and could fire him, especially knowing Andy Reid (barring anything totally unforseen) is going to be available. I could see Andy simply moving up the turnpike the way Rich Kotite did 18 years ago after he was fired by the Eagles and then-Jets owner Leon Hess fired Pete Carroll and replaced him with Kotite.

Andy may be exactly what the Jets need at this point.

11. ebr362 says: Dec 30, 2012 11:00 AM

Rex’s way of doing things is the issue, everything from how he let the inmates run the asylum last year to the tebow debacle this year.
    Someone I respect once told me that a good carpenter doesn’t blame his tools, Rex is not a good carpenter.

12. lorddarkhelmet says: Dec 30, 2012 11:01 AM

I don’t know why, but i have always had the feeling Rex isn’t the problem. If he had anyone who knew what they were doing in the front office he would be much better off. This team has some very talented players….but not enough. They want to make Sanchez the scapegoat but half the offensive line shouldn’t be starting on any nfl team and they have very little talent at wr and one of the most overrated RBs in the NFL. How is any QB going to be successful. Top that with an offense that was a poor fit from the get go and defense that is aging. I guess basically I am saying the problems run deap.

13. eatitfanboy says: Dec 30, 2012 11:01 AM

Things are not going to get turned around for the Jets until they change the “inmates running the asylum” culture in the locker room, period.

And that means getting rid of Rex Ryan, period.

If they keep him, it will because Johnson doesn’t want to pay another fired coach, period.

14. scottnrsv says: Dec 30, 2012 11:05 AM

@Mazblast….
    from 1960 – 2000 the jets made the playoffs 8 times. only 8 times in 40 years

Woody bought the team in 2000, been to the playoffs 6 times in 12 years. with 1 divsion title and 2 afc championship games.

Woody isn’t the greatest owner in history, but the guy does care and isn’t scared to try and put a good product on the football field.

15. bigbaldpapahawk says: Dec 30, 2012 11:10 AM

How is there even talk about Rex keeping his job? He inherited a Superbowl-caliber team and ran it into the ground.

16. legeisyaj says: Dec 30, 2012 11:14 AM

I actually feel bad for Sparano. Don’t know why, but I like the guy. He seems to take the fall alot…

17. miriam45 says: Dec 30, 2012 11:15 AM

Dolphins had to pay off remaining 2 years of Sparano’s contract and the Jets now have to do likewise. Poor Tony Sparano.

That’s 4 years on salaries without having to work for it.
    It should happen to me.

18. floriostoupee says: Dec 30, 2012 11:16 AM

even timmy is yawning at sparano’s play calling

19. dmartin17 says: Dec 30, 2012 11:21 AM

Yes because HE was the big problem. Not a systematic failure.

Time to clean house, starting with tannebaum.

20. dannythebisforbeast says: Dec 30, 2012 11:22 AM

Are the jets the only team in the league? This should be called PJT. Give it a rest

21. hor2012 says: Dec 30, 2012 11:30 AM

I think the jets problem is philosphy. In the new NFL ground and pound won’t work because everyone and thier momma can score about 24 a game. Now days superbowl teams are teams that can hold the oppisition to field goals and not touchdowns. The trouble with getting the Jets fixed is that I don’t see how they can get the personal in place for a few years. Now, I’m a Saints fan so every Jets fan out there as the right to shout me down when you get ready. But, if I owned the team. I would trade Darrel Revis, if you could find someone who’d take is contract, for a lest one first round pick. I’d then, and, I promise you I’m not trying to be funny, I’d hire June Jones the SMU coach and bring the run and shoot back. You can get ahead of the curb because right now everyone knowns with the way teams or drafting spread QBs it’s just a matter of time before it comes back to the NFL anyway. Then, find the best colleage DC in the nation and make him your DC.

In the draft I would trade down until the lower to late half of the first round and add number twos in the second. With my first pick I’d take the best QB available if I had a first round grade on him. I’d then take the best receiver left on the board. And, with the rest of the picks just fill wholes.

You play in a divison with the Patriots. And, I think when Tom Brady breaks DB consective TD passess record or wins his next SP he’s gone anyway. BB will follow shortly after and even if he doesn’t leave he’ll be chasing past glory. The divison would be wide open.

22. paleandpasty says: Dec 30, 2012 11:31 AM

Tony will be being paid by two teams nfl teams not to coach maybe he should get the hint.

23. bobby927 says: Dec 30, 2012 11:34 AM

Norv Turner will be the next OC for Woody and The Jets.

24. phinfan2006 says: Dec 30, 2012 11:37 AM

As a Dolphins Fan, I’m all for Sparano coaching the offense for another year. :)

J..E..T..S……you know the rest!

25. backindasaddle says: Dec 30, 2012 11:40 AM

They ought to fire everybody and then spray the entire facility down with industrial strength disinfectant.

26. thedownwardspiral says: Dec 30, 2012 11:47 AM

He’s the fall guy for Rex’s ineptitude.

You’re firing the wrong guy!!

27. lesterclan says: Dec 30, 2012 11:58 AM

Perhaps if Sparano actually USED Tebow like they said they would, he’d still have a job. It’s one thing to try something that fails but it’s insanity to never even try and then call it a failure.

For example, in some game in mid-season, Tebow launched his first (and only) deep pass. It was a beautiful pass that hit Jason Hill right in the hands/chest…and he dropped it. He was 5 yards behind everybody and it was a sure 70-80 yard Touchdown. Great play call, great execution, great throw, and a drop. The play was never called again! Why? Jason Hill sucked so bad the Jets cut him, so why not attempt again? Unbelievable…

28. liltifer says: Dec 30, 2012 12:10 PM

As a Dolphin fan, this saddens me. Not because an ex-Dolphin coach lost his job. But because he lost his job with the Jets.

When they first signed him as their OC, I knew it wasn’t going to work out well. I just wish they tried it for another year or two to see if it could get better (it wouldn’t – but it’d be fun watching).

29. lrjets says: Dec 30, 2012 12:15 PM

Reflecting on this horrible season brings to mind that when the Jets were doing good a few years ago with Favre and Mangini, they lost the last 5 games when after the fact it came out that Favre had a torn bicep.
    They knew! Yet they still played Favre. The way Woody ran the team this year, I’d bet he “suggested” to Mangini to play Favre anyway.
    They were 8-3 at the time, and wound up 8-8.
    Gotta be on Woody!

30. christopher525 says: Dec 30, 2012 12:43 PM

I wonder what would happen to the NFL if some team takes a chance on Rob Ryan this offseason, and his brother is brought in as the DC? Could be one hell of a funny team to watch, anyone down for some Hard Knocks starring both of the Ryan Twins?

31. dukepatrol says: Dec 30, 2012 1:02 PM

There are alot of problems but Sprano was one of the worst OC’s I have ever seen on any team. You have to work with what you have but Sprano couldn’t even work with that

32. fwilkin1 says: Dec 30, 2012 1:10 PM

yep

33. Sometimes Interesting says: Dec 30, 2012 1:35 PM

Anyone else think it’s mildly ironic the Jets were entertaining the idea of bringing in Parcells to turn them around right around the same time they talk about firing the guy Parcells hand-picked to turn Miami’s franchise around?

34. dirtdawg54 says: Dec 30, 2012 4:03 PM

Sparano is a truly awful coach but how will anyone succeed with Sanchez as the QB?

35. jonsilver1947 says: Dec 30, 2012 5:30 PM

Sometimes Interesting:
    We don’t really know if the owner is actually considering Parcells…could well be a trial balloon floated by Parcells’ agent…