Jets hold nose, ask Giants for help

ross_marc

Perhaps Jets owner Woody Johnson is finally interested in stealing something besides the back pages from the Giants.

According to Kimberly Jones of the NFL Network, the Jets have asked permission to talk to Giants college scouting director Marc Ross for their vacant general manager job.

While the Jets generally try to avoid comparisons with their more successful co-tenants of MetLife Stadium, Ross brings a solid personnel background, which they need.

Ross is also on the Panthers’ list, emerging as a contender for that job as soon as former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi was brought in as a consultant.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Jets hold nose, ask Giants for help”
  1. chicagobtech says: Dec 31, 2012 3:51 PM

On the up side, he won’t have far to move.

On the down side, he’s going to be working for the Jets.

2. j0esixpack says: Dec 31, 2012 3:54 PM

The Jets are certainly an attractive job for a good GM

Although they have no cap space, at least the new GM will have full and complete authority – with the exception of picking his Head Coach and starting QB

But those are just minor details

3. fuglyflorio says: Dec 31, 2012 3:54 PM

Ross is bright and hard working. The Jets will suck all that out of him though. They’re vampires of talent, and will leave him a burnt out husk.

4. mazblast says: Dec 31, 2012 3:55 PM

In the words of the late great deep philosopher, Leonard “Chico” Marx, “We canna a-do a-that. It make-a too much sense.”

This would be a good hire, so since we’re talking about the Jets, I doubt that it will happen. It could be just a smokescreen, a management version of the Rooney Rule to keep The Great Roger Goodell Himself Live And In Person from getting upset.

5. kepickle says: Dec 31, 2012 3:55 PM

why would he go work for the Jets & be Rex Ryans Little pet , he should come to Carolina where he can help lead us to SB riches

6. nygdriveforfive says: Dec 31, 2012 3:59 PM

Panthers would be smart to hire him quick. Ross would be dumb to take the jets offer.

7. nygsbchamps4 says: Dec 31, 2012 3:59 PM

Who knew woody Johnson had some sense. Here’s to the jets for finally being serious about winning.

8. dowhatifeellike says: Dec 31, 2012 4:00 PM

Promoting another team’s scout to GM? I guess I’ve seen crazier ideas but I’d think a crumbling org like the Jets would want a proven winner.

9. claymatthewshairplugs says: Dec 31, 2012 4:00 PM

There’s no helping this team while Mark “noodle arm” Sanchez is your starting QB

10. 480volt says: Dec 31, 2012 4:03 PM

Don’t do it Ross!!! Stay as far away from that organization as possible….don’t let them corrupt you…

11. jr4real says: Dec 31, 2012 4:11 PM

Career killer

12. justintuckrule says: Dec 31, 2012 4:30 PM

I feared this. It was only a matter of time before our unheralded ace in the hole got discovered.

13. cooklynn17 says: Dec 31, 2012 4:45 PM

dowhatifeellike says: Dec 31, 2012 4:00 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don’t hold me too this but I’m quite sure Marc Ross got a Superbowl ring last year. And another one 5 years ago, sounds like a proven winner to me…

14. maritime85 says: Dec 31, 2012 4:52 PM

The jets dont have to be an embarassment, but their dumb owner keeps sticking his nose into things and screwing it up

15. dowhatifeellike says: Dec 31, 2012 5:31 PM

cooklynn17 says:
    Dec 31, 2012 4:45 PM
    dowhatifeellike says: Dec 31, 2012 4:00 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

————————————-

A scout doesn’t make plays, coach, sign free agents, negotiate contracts, manage the payroll, or draft people– he recommends college players to his bosses. He has helped, certainly, but he is wayyyyy down the list of people who get credit for winning championships.

16. cooklynn17 says: Dec 31, 2012 5:38 PM

Not Marc Ross, as a lifelong Giants fan I personally know this guy is more involved than you may think.

All In.

And Happy New Year!!!

17. cmdrsmooth says: Dec 31, 2012 5:57 PM

What the big deal if Jets get someone from the Giants. If they help us win, I’m all in.

18. kev86 says: Dec 31, 2012 7:15 PM

Career suicide going cross town. Don’t do it Marc.

19. donkeykong2011 says: Dec 31, 2012 7:36 PM

the jets should hire Matt Millen. that would be fantastic.

20. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Dec 31, 2012 8:06 PM

I recall Rex Ryan cranked up in full blowhard mode (is there any other way for that guy?) — and all he did was belittle the Giants and even said something about how the Jets weren’t the Little Brother or something.

If this latest development where the Jets set aside their pride and are now begging for Giant help doesn’t flatly contradict that – what does?