Manning thinks McCoy has what it takes to be a head coach

Denver Broncos Manning is congratulated by Fox and McCoy in their NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Denver Reuters

Mike McCoy is one of this offseason’s hottest names, with the Broncos offensive coordinator in the mix for head coaching jobs in Buffalo, Arizona and Chicago, and perhaps more.

While the opinion of potential employers remains more important, he got a strong endorsement from someone who knows a thing or two about offense and winning — Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.

“I think he’s ready; I think he’s paid his dues,” Manning said, via Tom Kensler of the Denver Post. “Mike’s a good leader. He’s had some good coaches that have been mentors to him, different coaches that he’s worked with in his years in the NFL that I think he’s incorporated some of their leadership philosophies and his own philosophy.

“I tell you, he’s a worker. We spend a lot of hours together — early mornings, late nights — trying to get kind of our plan in place for what kind of offense we were going to be. There is no substitute for work ethic, and Mike certainly has that. . . .

“In my opinion, he deserves a shot at one of these head coaching jobs.”

Manning’s point about McCoy drawing from different backgrounds is a valid one.

McCoy grew up in the West Coast Offense, both as a player and a coach. But in working under Coryell-style coordinator Dan Henning in Carolina, McCoy said he saw benefits to that approach that challenged many of his preconceived notions about what worked in the NFL and what didn’t.

Then being able to adapt a pro offense to Tim Tebow, and being able to win a playoff game, showed even more versatility.

Being able to adjust to problems without falling back into a dogmatic routine is more essential for any head coach than Xs and Os, and if Manning says McCoy has that part figured out, that means something.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Manning thinks McCoy has what it takes to be a head coach”
  1. jshamley says: Jan 2, 2013 6:11 PM

You can have McCoy, just please do not take Del Rio.

2. pinion8ted says: Jan 2, 2013 6:13 PM

That’s not exactly a bad endorsement to have.

3. section731 says: Jan 2, 2013 6:17 PM

Knowing how to adjust to the skills of your players is a skill that is very important. We’ve sat through 14 years of Andy Reid blindly sticking to his version of the West Coast without west coast Qbs. McNabb threw a nice deep ball and ran great play action. However he was consistently asked to throw crossing routes which was a weakness. Some thing with Vick – he can’t throw to a spot – he runs around until someone is wide open and gets sacked all of the time.

4. swoopthereitis says: Jan 2, 2013 6:17 PM

5. legeisyaj says: Jan 2, 2013 6:20 PM

Finally a few useful sentences about a potential new head coach.

6. murty77 says: Jan 2, 2013 6:25 PM

He’s shown the ability to adapt to whatever personnel he has and be successful, something I’ve never seen in Chicago.

7. billsfaninmiami says: Jan 2, 2013 6:33 PM

And then there’s the weather conditions.

Jumping from Denver to Buffalo isn’t much of a reach!

8. waraggie says: Jan 2, 2013 6:38 PM

As a life-long Colts fan, I remember when Tony Dungy hung up his clipboard…Peyton strongly endorsed Jim Caldwell for HC. Nice enough guy. He may have been more successful with another front office. But I doubt seriously he would have much success without Manning.

9. mcmeen0576 says: Jan 2, 2013 6:57 PM

There is no doubt in my mind as a Bear fan that this is the guy that could turn Jay Cutler into the Pro Bowl player we all know he is capable of being!

10. frankiebooboo says: Jan 2, 2013 6:58 PM

Swoopthereitis says: What’s Peyton supposed to say? Plus, I’d wary of any O-coordinator who has Manning as his QB. Their value is likely inflated, or at least difficult to measure. Peyton is probably deserving of the majority of the credit for the offense’s success, not the OC.
    ………………………….

Caldwell…

11. blackandbluedivision says: Jan 2, 2013 7:03 PM

bring him to Chicago and keep Marinelli for defensive stability. Kick Tice out the door as hard as you can. So he knows what’s it like to get sacked.

12. atwatercrushesokoye says: Jan 2, 2013 7:14 PM

In my opinion the biggest thing that a new head coach needs to do to be successful is surround himself with great coordinators and coaches that they can delegate to. Smart people know what they’re stupid at and turn to people who are smart in those areas.

After being a coordinator under both McDaniels and Fox I believe McCoy has seen the bad and good in this respect, hopefully he’s learned from that and it will help him be successful in whichever of these jobs he gets.

13. snarcasms says: Jan 2, 2013 7:22 PM

It could also open the door for Tom Moore to reunite with Peyton in Denver.

14. tbtrojan says: Jan 2, 2013 8:12 PM

Was anyone really expecting to hear the truth?
    “Head Coach? Really? The guy just isn’t very good, if it wasn’t for me running my offense you’d be talking about firing him instead of him being a potential head coach. I mean look at the results before I got here, this team had the 23rd ranked offense last year and didn’t get higher than 13th in the previous 2 years. He’s as mediocre to bad as can be. Head coach, pfft sure, he’d be ‘great,’ anything to get him away out of here.”

15. retaeyssup says: Jan 2, 2013 8:32 PM

I thought Peyton was the OC in Denver?

16. hahapapa says: Jan 2, 2013 8:57 PM

Blackandbluedivision. Great point.. Let Tice get sacked..Lovie it..

17. soforizo says: Jan 2, 2013 9:11 PM

Biggest assets he has is his exposure to different philosophies and his ability to adapt to the skill of his players.

McCoy’s biggest unknown is how good would he be as a game manager.

18. CKL says: Jan 3, 2013 11:56 AM

Besides the ability to groom other coaches and delegate accordingly (the latter is a problem BB had in Cleveland), the best (non personality related) attributes a HC can have are big picture thinking and adaptability. Unfortunately the former is not something one can usually tell from a guy’s tenure as a coordinator since they are concerned with coaching only their own units.

I despise PM,but I really respect the fact he came out and made those comments about McCoy. I am sure he knows any OC’s skills are going to be downplayed because everyone credits only him with everything good an offense ever does. Of course my cynical mind does wonder about its being a way for him to reunite with Moore, but I will choose to believe he’s doing a good thing here. Kudos to him.

19. jasonculhane says: Jan 4, 2013 5:11 PM

Lets be honest here. Peyton Manning made Jim Caldwell look like a legitimate coach for a second. McCoy seems like a good dude, but he’d better be sure he’s as good as he thinks he is