Banner, Lurie could be squaring off for Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly AP

It’s high drama, even for the drama-rich NFL.  A pair of boyhood friends who had worked together for a generation are now working separately, and working against each other in pursuit of the same coach.

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and his former top lieutenant, Joe Banner, are both coveting Oregon coach Chip Kelly.  The winner gets a crack and bringing Kelly’s innovative offense to the NFL level.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns’ brain trust knows that the team must move quickly.  The interview with Kelly is set for Friday.  The Eagles are in line behind the Browns; the Bills reportedly are in the mix, too, according to Mike Garafolo of USA Today.

Per Cabot, the Browns will be prepared to make Kelly “an offer he can’t refuse.”  (Wait, when did the Browns move to Youngstown?)  And if Kelly is wise he’ll see if any other team is willing to offer more.

With seven openings and a few coveted candidates, it’s prudent to try to get as much as possible — especially since there is still no salary cap for coaches.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
89 Responses to “Banner, Lurie could be squaring off for Chip Kelly”
  1. mavajo says: Jan 3, 2013 2:43 PM

Why, exactly, do NFL executives think Kelly’s offense would succeed in the NFL?

2. nyyjetsknicks says: Jan 3, 2013 2:47 PM

Is Bradon Weeden going to run Chip Kelly’s offense? That makes zero sense.

3. jaggedmark says: Jan 3, 2013 2:48 PM

Kelly to the NFL will be the biggest failure since the ESPN mobile phone.

4. rscdoug says: Jan 3, 2013 2:49 PM

Personally I think the Chip Kelly to the Eagles is all a red-herring…Lurie wants to keep his top choices cloaked by the press of Chip Kelly…

5. twardyyy says: Jan 3, 2013 2:49 PM

First off, Kelly may not even succeed in the NFL. Secondly, I have a feeling, that if he lands with any of those teams, it’s gonna be Philly. They have the most talent on the team — perhaps myriads more than Cleveland and Buffalo. We’ll see what happens but I don’t think there’s that great of a chance that he’ll even succeed.

6. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Jan 3, 2013 2:50 PM

Maybe for the same reasons Tebow made the playoffs last year or the redskins this year?

Fitting the status quo doesn’t necessarily make you an NFL coach. A good coach is going to figure out how to win regardless of whether or not other NFL teams are running the same offense.

7. troy10 says: Jan 3, 2013 2:50 PM

As a Browns fan… I’m really hoping Philly wins this battle!

8. kvanhorn87 says: Jan 3, 2013 2:51 PM

Why exactly to Internet lackeys think it won’t work? Where is the harm in taking a chance.

9. bathroombenlovemachine says: Jan 3, 2013 2:51 PM

The Eagles will win Super Bowl 48 in February 2014 and during the 2013 NFL Season will inflict career ending injuries to the following players:
    Robert Griffin III
    Elisha Manning
    Tony Romo

10. nfl fan says: Jan 3, 2013 2:52 PM

Don’t worry Jeffrey, the Eagles are the Gold Standard!

11. tsmarriner says: Jan 3, 2013 2:52 PM

I think the Eagles will get him and they will have a mediocre record.

12. chefklm says: Jan 3, 2013 2:52 PM

I swear I will burn every damn Eagles paraphernalia I own if Kelly gets hired.

13. eaglesw00t says: Jan 3, 2013 2:52 PM

1. Banner has never outbid anyone on anything. He is a pennypinching cheapskate.

2. I hope Kelly does go to Cleveland. I dont wish it on Clevelands fans, but I DO NOT want Kelly in Philadelphia. We need to get back to football basics. After 14 years of 65-70% passing offense, we dont need another gimmick.

14. coltzfan166 says: Jan 3, 2013 2:53 PM

Why wouldn’t anyone want to be the head coach for Cleveland? I would rather be a coordinator for a good team or a college head coach for a good team.

15. clw1906 says: Jan 3, 2013 2:53 PM

The eagles are quickly going down the road of the old Redskins. First spend millions of high priced free agents FAIL them go get the high powered offensive genius from college ie Spurrier FAIL

16. dawkafella says: Jan 3, 2013 2:55 PM

I guess none of u watched how rg3 made the giants d look garbage. Philis personnel is perfect for Kelly’s offense. Vick might be able to get back on track!

17. bob2585 says: Jan 3, 2013 2:55 PM

mavajo says:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:43 PM
    Why, exactly, do NFL executives think Kelly’s offense would succeed in the NFL

Because have you watched the Redskins this year, it works many scouts and former players says it works. Probably should go to Philly or Buffalo, they have the players to make it work.

18. curt7234 says: Jan 3, 2013 2:56 PM

AS an Eagles Fan I hope The Browns win this battle! Just too Risky. If Lurie wants to spend big paper on a coach, bring in “Chucky” I want Gruden!

19. roth19 says: Jan 3, 2013 2:56 PM

The Cleveland Browns don’t have the personnel for Chip Kelly to run his offense. Actually no one in the NFL does. He will fail.

20. eatitfanboy says: Jan 3, 2013 2:57 PM

If I were a fan of the Eagles or Browns, I am not sure how excited I would be about my team breaking the bank and turning my entire organization over to a guy who I am not even sure is the best coach in his current conference.

David Shaw from Stanford is coming off a Rose Bowl victory, has an .851 winning percentage, coached in the NFL as an assistant for 9 years, coaches a much more NFL-ready offensive scheme than Chip Kelly and has actually developed a successful NFL QB (Andrew Luck)

Yes, Kelly has been a head coach for a couple of more years, but he has zero NFL experience and has said HIMSELF that he is not sure his system will translate on the next level.

Why not save yourself a boatload of money, perhaps retain some control of your organization in your front office, and hire Shaw?

21. ahsinnyc says: Jan 3, 2013 3:00 PM

Robert Griffin III
    Elisha Manning
    Tony Romo

——————–
    You say this because you are a tool or have history with SB winning Eagles teams?

22. ninersducksfan says: Jan 3, 2013 3:03 PM

After the year you eagles fans had in 2012 why would you not be open to a coach like Chip Kelly? There are 3 NFL QBs running option plays with success in the playoffs. They dont use them 100% of the time but its already proven this year it can be successful if used correctly.

23. electionconfidential says: Jan 3, 2013 3:03 PM

Neither team is a top choice to me. Philly is just a tough market and the team is in shambles. Cleveland has a really bad QB situation and a new, unproven owner.

If Kelly’s everyone’s hot choice he should try to wrangle an interview in Chicago. Personally, I think he’ll jump since Oregon has sanctions coming down. He’ll never be a hotter prospect than he is right now…

24. joeychargers says: Jan 3, 2013 3:04 PM

I either want him in San Diego, or to stay in Oregon…. And sadly, I don’t see either of those happening, and it bums me out!

25. musicman495 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:05 PM

I really like that all this news about Kelly is coming out before his COLLEGE team plays their bowl game. Bet the Oregon players really appreciate all this speculation about their coach chasing the big bucks before the season is even over.

26. bobbybrown3 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:06 PM

Ok I’m not a Browns fan (Seahawk fan actually) but if he goes to the Browns, is there any chance he brings in Tebow? Either Tebow or Vick would be the only available QBs that could really run his system.

I know Tebow doesn’t have an arm but neither did Darron Thomas…

Just something to think about

27. macjacmccoy says: Jan 3, 2013 3:06 PM

why, exactly, do NFL fans think Kelly’s offense wouldnt succeed in the NFL? Or that they know more then these execs? Or that new systems dont work in the NFL and become a staple? Because the 4-3, the tampa 2, the west coast offense, the I formation, the screen, the post, 2 TE sets, 3-4 etc. where all part of the NFL when it started.

New offenses, defenses, systems etc. have came in to the NFL many times over its history and have became staples of the league. Many of those innovations were written off before they took hold.

To be Fair a lot of innovations have came and went too, but thats not the point. The point is just because its new or different doesnt mean its not going to work. And to make statements like its a fore gone conclusion that it will outright fail is naive at best.

28. jackblackshairyback says: Jan 3, 2013 3:06 PM

Interesting, since Oregon actually runs the ball 60+% of the time.

There was once a gimmick in pro football that no one said would last. The forward pass.

29. musicman495 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:06 PM

rscdoug says: Jan 3, 2013 2:49 PM

—————————–
    So which football genius does Lurie have waiting behind the curtain – Don Shula?

30. godofwine330 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:11 PM

No college coach has won a title since Jimmy Johnson (you absolutely do not count Barry Switzer because half of the PFT forum could have coached the team to that title). Kelly has no NFL experience, and I am not so sure I want to hand him my Orange & Brown keys with the cabinettes unlocked. If our QB can’t run his offense we wasted a #1 pick this year, and now we have to waste another. I really don’t think he will be successful at the next level.

31. andyreidisthegoat says: Jan 3, 2013 3:11 PM

Is Bradon Weeden going to run Chip Kelly’s offense? That makes zero sense.

——————————–

Is Nick Foles? That makes even less sense.

32. bengalsucker says: Jan 3, 2013 3:11 PM

I don’t get why everyone doubts his offense in the NFL. You won’t know if it’ll be successful until it’s tried. All you arm chair GM’s have a better suggestion at head coach?

33. swedishchefstache says: Jan 3, 2013 3:15 PM

On pure geography alone, I definitely would not go with Buffalo or Cleveland.

34. ghostofgilchrist says: Jan 3, 2013 3:16 PM

The failed coaches pile is littered with guys who can only run “their system”. I wouldn’t touch Kelly unless he could convince me that he can adjust to the talent (or lack thereof) he’s given to work with.

How is he going to build a staff? Does he have any NFL contacts, or are you also buying all the Oregon assistants?

35. azarkhan says: Jan 3, 2013 3:17 PM

mavajo says: Why, exactly, do NFL executives think Kelly’s offense would succeed in the NFL?

Because the Patriots high speed offense (e.g., the 89 plays they ran against Denver in October) is partly based on Chip Lewis’ ideas. But that begs the question of how many NFL teams have the discipline that the Patriots have were they can run that many plays with all the players getting to the line of scrimmage and also not getting called for fouls.

36. steelerben says: Jan 3, 2013 3:21 PM

bobbybrown3 says:
    Jan 3, 2013 3:06 PM

I know Tebow doesn’t have an arm but neither did Darron Thomas…

Just something to think about

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aren’t there a few draft eligible QBs that would make sense, too? And by the logic that Vick is the guy to run a spread offense, regardless of his accuracy issues and age, wouldn’t that make the Eagles a more sensible destinations since they already have him?

37. sufferingbirdsfan says: Jan 3, 2013 3:22 PM

Not impressed with Kelly. Now if we can lure Bruce Arians here I’ll drive to Indy and pick him up myself. Spend the money on a guy that has actually proven he can get it done in the NFL.

38. chuckchillout says: Jan 3, 2013 3:22 PM

—————————–

Gruden, I hope. I don’t know why any other candidate would even be considered. He slipped through their fingers once and went and won a Super Bowl. It should be a full-court press this time.

Actually, Lurie has let 3 Super Bowl winning coaches slip through his fingers: 2 were actually on staff: Gruden and Payton, and he was “talking” with Vermeil, who he angered, so Vermeil went off to St. Louis.

If you want a 10-6 team for a couple years, Lurie can find that coach, but he has so far been allergic to landing one who can win a Super Bowl.

39. snowpea84 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:24 PM

I think it’s very telling that the Browns and Banner haven’t gone after Reid. Brings up some interesting questions about what types of disagreements they must have had to cause Banner to leave.

40. raiderlyfe510 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:25 PM

I don’t see how an NFL exec can look at the Auburn game in 2010, the USC game from last year, and the Stanford game this year and want to hire Kelly

Oregon is simply out running athletically inferior teams. A team like the Giants will feast on that offense in the NFL.

41. n0hopeleft says: Jan 3, 2013 3:25 PM

Banner would smash Lurie in a street fight.

I would pay to see it.

42. jpaq68 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:26 PM

The Bills are definitely not “in the mix” for Chip Kelly. One of the most sought after coaches this off season – one who has his pick of jobs to choose from – is not going to choose the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills will wind up getting whatever coaching scraps are left after every other team fills their head coaching vacancies.

43. pftsovietstylecensorship says: Jan 3, 2013 3:31 PM

All sorts of things “could” be happening.

44. brassknuckles47 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:37 PM

“offer he can’t refuse”, “Browns move to Youngstown?” Funny. Not everyone knows what that means…….

45. musicman495 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:41 PM

Chip Kelly = Steve Spurrier

46. ghauck81 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:43 PM

Just think, keep Vick, draft Boyd from Clemson, Shady and Djax in the backfield. I love it!!!77

47. rao50858 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:44 PM

Chip Kelly didn’t invent the spread offense. He’s just the first to run it at high speed. Oregon faced only one defense this year that resembles and NFL defense and that was Stanford. Enough said.

48. dontcareforu says: Jan 3, 2013 3:46 PM

i know! Y-town right. just ask the vest. The Valley could use a pick me up

49. rungame8732 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:47 PM

He never said he was going to run the Oregon offense in the NFL. He already said he will adapt to his player personnel. If that means getting rid of Weeden, so be it. As for the Redskins, they run the Broncos offense of the Shannahan days. Mixed in with a little zone read.

50. christopher525 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:47 PM

Personally, I would rather try for Chris Ault over Chip Kelly, at least versions of his offense have already gone in place at the NFL level.

51. snaponrules says: Jan 3, 2013 3:47 PM

If he goes to Phili he is going to need a QB. With the #4 pick they are either going to have to move up to get one or trade down for a project qb. Because Mike Vick does not have the intelligence or desire to learn a 200 page playbook.

52. baller2 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:48 PM

This is just so ridiculous. People always want what they think someone else wants until you actually get it and find out its a bust. Good luck to whoever ends up with another college coach turned nfl head coach disaster, – nick saban

53. rcali says: Jan 3, 2013 3:50 PM

Sorry Browns fans, looks like your Jerry Jones wannabe owner is star struck.

54. andyreidisthegoat says: Jan 3, 2013 3:50 PM

The hash mark placement in the NFL is going to effect that style of offense. It’s a middle of the field game. You don’t get as lopsided a field as in college to run that offense. That’s why smash mouth football when done right works. You own the center of the field in the NFL to win. This is another gimmick that might work for a while and then fizzle out (ie. the wildcat).

55. patssteelersorgiants says: Jan 3, 2013 3:50 PM

Kelly seems like Lurie’s kind of guy. Lurie has always thought of himself as on the cutting edge even though he’s always five years behind. Makes me wonder if Lurie is going to insist that Vick lead the Kelly spread offense, because Kelly doesn’t make sense if Foles is the man.

Kelly doesn’t have enough big college experience and the University of New Hampshire is a long way from the NFL.

56. dgreenfi says: Jan 3, 2013 3:51 PM

This reminds me of Rich Rodriguez to Michigan and how he is going to “revolutionize” the Big 10.

I’d rather the Eagles hire a defensive coach and get a top OC.

57. chrisvegas says: Jan 3, 2013 3:52 PM

If Eagles bring in Chip Kelly it will be ten years before we are competitive again. I hope Banner wins this one because I don’t want a gimmick offense in Philly. Howie Roseman is going to screw the Eagles up for ten years.

58. bobbybrown3 says: Jan 3, 2013 3:54 PM

bobbybrown3 says:
    Jan 3, 2013 3:06 PM

I know Tebow doesn’t have an arm but neither did Darron Thomas…

Just something to think about

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It’s a win now league, that would be a hard sell to the fan base to draft another high round QB, especially this year if/when you draft an early round QB you’re going to be reaching, since there any standouts this year. In regards to the Eagles, Vick is gone isn’t he? I have a hard time believing Vick will be the starting QB there next year.

59. alexnexus says: Jan 3, 2013 4:02 PM

Eagles: time to change.

No NFL Head Coaches please. Bring in a new face.

Gruden is so not like Lurie that he is out of the play.

The game has evolve. So evolve with it from the ground up.

Fear of failure comes with never being successful.

Go Eagles!!!

60. mydroopysack says: Jan 3, 2013 4:03 PM

My friends and I have debated forever about whether or not a college-style offense could succeed in the NFL. I would love nothing more than to have one of these teams hire this guy and be the guinea pigs. Better them than the team I root for!

61. mrpilsner says: Jan 3, 2013 4:10 PM

Chip Kelly = charlatan and some poor sap NFL franchise will grease the skids he uses to stay ahead of the NCAA sanctions a la Pete Carroll. That NFL franchise will begin or continue a dismal era of losses, wasted “rebuilding” seasons and empty seats.

This is playoff football now, fans, and we all know defense wins trophies in the NFL. Two of those QBs will lose this weekend and the other, the Redskin, will join them next week. These games are too important for gimmicks.

Chip Kelly is at the absolute zenith of his career at this very moment and right up to the opening kick off this evening. Everything changes after that and you better hope your team isn’t dragged down with his plummet.

62. johnnyquisp says: Jan 3, 2013 4:13 PM

HEY! As someone who grew up in Youngstown I…think that line is very funny.

63. bensstinkyfingers says: Jan 3, 2013 4:14 PM

Unfortunately, Browns fans are fed up with rebuilding every two years, rookie head coaches being hired, and “non football” guys being in power positions.. If Haslam and Banner want to keep the fanbase happy and not lose out on ticket sales, they will hire a proven former NFL coach, such as Cowher, Gruden, Billick, etc. that will not happen, because banner and Haslam have egos even bigger than their wallets, and want to be considered geniuses, and innovators by bringing in “the next big thing” gambling the franchises success on the chance they get it right. Don’t suprised when they hire Kelly, or some othe unproven coach, they fail in 2-3 years, back to square one. I for one have a hard time trusting a guy”Banner” who in every pic appears as if he is extremely constipated and mad at the world.

64. ace8842 says: Jan 3, 2013 4:15 PM

Philly is a much more attractive destination. Better city to live in for the family, or at least the suburbs surrounding it. The Eagles lost their best 3 offensive lineman last year, all of whom should be coming back. That would effect any team to lose those lineman and resulted in a worse record than their talent. Easy owner to work with. Philly has some talent with McCoy, Maclin, DeSean Jackson, DeMeco Ryans, and some young guys on the defensive line. They were horribly miscoached on defense last year, but will have a new coordinator.

65. ace8842 says: Jan 3, 2013 4:16 PM

And in my opinion, Foles is better than Weeden.

66. 3yardsndust says: Jan 3, 2013 4:20 PM

Youngstown native here: very funny reference! Seriously, you amuse me! :-)

67. pacodawg says: Jan 3, 2013 4:23 PM

Picking a head coach is like throwing darts. Neither I or anyone else posting will know how Kelly will be at the next level. I’ll bet some people on here are the same people who wanted Shurmur out and are know not wanting Kelly hired.

68. buffbill99 says: Jan 3, 2013 4:31 PM

My initial reaction: No way Buffalo can get this guy! But when you think about it, the individuals locked up on their roster are just as good as Cleveland or Philly and the O line and D line are both better.

Not to mention, the Bills can cut Fitzpatrick and have a brand new QB with the 8th pick to Kelly’s liking.

69. howiehandles says: Jan 3, 2013 4:31 PM

If you’ve read any interviews with Kelly, nowhere did he say that he was going to run the exact offense he runs at Oregon.

But, if you want to see what it looks like in the pros, more or less, watch the Patriots. They incorporate a lot of what Kelly teaches.

Obviously they’re going to need more players, but the Browns for once are headed in the right direction, regardless of they’re hiring Kelly or not.

70. 1509lucky says: Jan 3, 2013 4:38 PM

71. drbob117 says: Jan 3, 2013 4:52 PM

Lurie will quietly make the point with Kelly that the Browns have no GM, no stability in the organization, no long term guy at QB; whereas the Eagles have a young QB ( who Kelly has been quoted as being a huge fan of), a GM in place, and a much larger market, meaning Lurie can offer more money. They also have some dynamic skill guys like McCoy, Jackson, Maclin that will keep his offense running. Lurie will also find a way to tell him that the reason Joe Banner is no longer with the Eagles is that players hated him because he was never honest with them about their contracts, and Roseman has a much better relationship with agents, meaning recruiting FA , and signing your own FA will be much easier with the Birds. There’s no guarantee that a college coach will work out, but the ‘NFL assistant’ route fails plenty too, ie. McDaniel,Crennel,Linehan, Spagnuolo, Shurmur, etc. If this is really the guy Lurie wants, he must be aggressive and get him.

72. richabbs says: Jan 3, 2013 5:13 PM

1509lucky says:
    “As a Eagle fan,I want ZERO parts of Chip Kelly! Give me Lovie Smith and a High Profile Offensive Coordinator and we will be back among the Elite.”

Yeah, because Lovie Smith really brought the championships home to Chicago. Three playoff appearances in nine years. Heck, Denver made the playoffs with Tebow and Rex Ryan made the playoffs twice with Mark Sanchez. Cutler is better than both of those guys, yet Lovie can’t cut it with him.

73. lbcoach34 says: Jan 3, 2013 5:13 PM

Smoke…both teams want Saban

74. tdk24 says: Jan 3, 2013 5:14 PM

Lurie is going to go hard after Reid. You don’t know what you’ve, til it’s gone, blah blah blah.

75. macbull says: Jan 3, 2013 5:15 PM

Rookie NFL owner…Jimmy Haslam of Flying J truck stop fame…

Rookie Pres/CEO…Joe Banner, in charge of the football side of an NFL team for the first time in his 19 career…who was just fired in Philly because …he could not get along with his coach.

Potential rookie head coach…Chip Kelly, who runs a gimmick offense in college…

Too many rookies, IMO.

The Browns need a head coach with NFL experience, preferably on the offensive side with leadership ability.

76. mogogo1 says: Jan 3, 2013 5:26 PM

Kelly may turn out to be awesome… but the Browns would appear to be a particularly odd destination. No way is Weeden the prototype for Kelly’s kind of offense, so they’d be putting themselves in the position to go after yet another qb? That franchise is perpetually drafting qbs.

77. droop says: Jan 3, 2013 5:36 PM

I’m hoping that Chip Kelly (wherever he goes) isn’t the Reggie Bush of coaches?

78. stevincinci says: Jan 3, 2013 5:41 PM

You just have to feel for this “Browns” franchise. 7 coaches in 14 seasons, 12 starting qb’s (or something like that). I’m just kidding, I don’t feel for them. WHO DEY!

79. ronmagnifico says: Jan 3, 2013 5:47 PM

I think the Browns and Eagles should try and reach out to some of the people commenting on here for the GM opening. They sure seem to know a lot more about football and would most definitely make the right hire.

80. amaf21 says: Jan 3, 2013 5:48 PM

Spurrier 2.0.

81. beanocook says: Jan 3, 2013 5:50 PM

No college coach has won a title since Jimmy Johnson (you absolutely do not count Barry Switzer because half of the PFT forum could have coached the team to that title).>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Tom Coughlin says hello.

Kelly would certainly be more successful than the pile of garbage NFL vet coaches the Browns have had over the past 20 years. Philly still has no Super Bowl rings……

Buffalo hasn’t done squat in two decades.

Kelly has a rather small bar to clear here.

I love NFL fans…such old fashioned boring football fans.

82. mogogo1 says: Jan 3, 2013 5:55 PM

Here’s what I don’t get about all the Kelly talk… if he’s NOT going to run his offense in the NFL (which is what he’s said in his “I’ll adapt” statements) then what exactly makes him a great hire? His offense is pretty much the sole appeal. Yes, he’s won at Oregon but he’s not setting up camp in the national title game like Saban and he might not even be the best coach in the Pac 12 given what David Shaw has done with Stanford.

If he’s a guru with a system that’ll knock everybody’s socks off, then I can see hiring him. But he’s got zero NFL experience and a fairly short track record even in big-time college football, so expecting him to easily adapt that system is going to be asking a lot.

83. boondocksaint7 says: Jan 3, 2013 6:21 PM

Hey dream team, keep dreaming. Maybe one of buddies boys would take your (garbage) dream head coaching job. Haha!

84. snookau says: Jan 3, 2013 6:48 PM

Last year, when the Bucs almost hired this guy, everyone said his offense wouldn’t work in the NFL. Now he’s a sure thing head coach. Whatever.

85. cmansee says: Jan 3, 2013 7:21 PM

The College game scheme must adapt to survive in the NFL… Like every rookie does… Offensively the game is already headed in that direction… Defensively they will adapt Blitz Heavy I suspect… Stretching the field is the name of the game… Some will Run ‘n Gun and some will Gun ‘n Run when they feel like it.

86. mrpilsner says: Jan 3, 2013 7:27 PM

hey, droop, you nailed it! Reggie Bush is ‘zactly what the NFL gets, again, from the Pac-12

and, beano, you’re dead! sta zitto!

87. beanocook says: Jan 3, 2013 11:22 PM

Chip Kelly humiliated NFL legend Monte Kiffin, so much for NFL schemes working vs Kelly

88. beanocook says: Jan 3, 2013 11:24 PM

The Bucs could afford Kelly. Remember, he’s getting paid more than Raheem Morris and Greg Schiano combined.

89. beanocook says: Jan 3, 2013 11:28 PM

Cmansee, nice try. College players come in and dominate the NFL all the time, true freshman almost never come in and dominate college football. It’s the NFL that has to adapt to the talent college pumps out, not the other way around.