Two Florida Gators declare for NFL Draft following Sugar Bowl

Jeremy Wright, Matt Elam AP

Following their 33-23 loss to the Louisville Cardinals in the Sugar Bowl on Wednesday night, Florida junior safety Matt Elam and junior defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd announced their intentions to declare for the NFL draft.

Elam was named a first-team All-American for Florida this season. He racked up 65 tackles, including 10 tackles for loss, four interceptions, a sack and a forced fumble.

Floyd was named a first-team All-Southeastern Conference player in 2012. Floyd compiled 41 tackles, with 11 tackles for loss, a sack, a forced fumble and six quarterback hits.

Both are possible late first-round picks and considered to be Top 50 prospects in the upcoming draft.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Two Florida Gators declare for NFL Draft following Sugar Bowl”
  1. randallflagg52 says: Jan 3, 2013 4:25 AM

Way to strike while the iron is hot…

2. wabbitslayer says: Jan 3, 2013 7:02 AM

Can’t blame them. After the pathetic display their supposedly #3 team put on last night, I’d want to create distance between myself and the gators, too.

3. phishfan520 says: Jan 3, 2013 7:03 AM

These guys should be fifth rounders for the way they played last night. Louisville was only good for beating West Virginia on a regular last I seen of them. I wonder at the half if Florida asked Tebow to suit up real quick to save their asses, since he wasn’t making it in the NFL. Maybe next year they can get him back, call it a Medical Redshirt SEC special

4. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Jan 3, 2013 7:11 AM

Elam was killin people last night.

5. randyschwimmer7 says: Jan 3, 2013 8:59 AM

Matt Elam was all over the field last night. He looks to be a good safety prospect at the next level. I would be happy to have him on my team any day.

6. realdealsteel says: Jan 3, 2013 9:43 AM

Elam would be just what the doctor ordered for my team. Steelers, pay attention!

7. shackdelrio says: Jan 3, 2013 9:51 AM

I have to wonder if some of you actually watched the game last night. Floyd was great. They didn’t lose because of him. He should be a first rounder for sure.

8. southpaw2k says: Jan 3, 2013 9:53 AM

Boy, would I love to see the Ravens take Elam as heir apparent to Ed Reed. I have a feeling Reed will announce his retirement after the Ravens play their final game in the postseason as well, whenever that is.

9. rc33 says: Jan 3, 2013 10:12 AM

I really like the way Floyd played last night. Perfect 3-technique guy for an NFL team.

10. cincinasty87 says: Jan 3, 2013 1:02 PM

Hopefully Elam is there when the BENGALS are on the clock