Brennaman and Billick get bumped up to a playoff broadcast

Super Bowl XLVI Getty Images

Playoff time is usually not a time when you opt to make big changes with the things that you didn’t bother altering during the regular season, but FOX is throwing caution to the wind next weekend all the same.

Neil Best of Newsday reports that FOX has shuffled the order of their broadcast teams for the Divisional Playoff round. Thom Brennaman and Brian Billick will call one of the games for the network with Joe Buck and Troy Aikman handling the other game. That means FOX’s longtime No. 2 broadcast team of Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston and Tony Siragusa will be benched for the playoffs.

“We thought both broadcast teams had very strong years and decided to give Thom and Brian the opportunity to call a playoff game this season,” Fox spokesman Dan Bell said.

Bell probably won’t find much support on the assertion that the Albert/Moose/Goose team had a very strong year. I’ve never been a fan of the crew, especially Siragusa’s almost universally unhelpful interjections from field level, and it’s tough to think of anyone I’ve ever spoken to that had strong positive feelings about the work done by the trio. Brennaman and Billick don’t draw universal raves, but there’s a lot less animosity to their presence than there is for a group which could be set up for a push down the roster in 2013.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
66 Responses to “Brennaman and Billick get bumped up to a playoff broadcast”
  1. maddog111 says: Jan 4, 2013 3:56 PM

Thank goodness. I’m not sure what’s worse, Siragusa’s awful attempts at being funny, or the uncomfortable forced laughter from Albert and Johnston that comes after it.

2. weizdumm says: Jan 4, 2013 3:57 PM

They should give the announcer from NBA Jam a shot one day.

3. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 4, 2013 3:58 PM

Brennaman is better than Kenny Albert (who I have always liked). And Billick gets into the nuts and bolts of the game. Johnston has too many biases, man. And Siragusa offers nothing.

4. 123makarov says: Jan 4, 2013 3:58 PM

Brian Billick is one of the dumbest “analysts” you’ll ever hear. I say that as an Eagles fan with recognition he is, at least moderately, pro-Philly.

5. tmcb7 says: Jan 4, 2013 3:59 PM

Kenny Albert blows!
    he can make the most exciting game seem humdrum. And doesn’t set up the other guys well at all. Along with being wrong a good bit. He’s the problem in that crew.

6. draftking says: Jan 4, 2013 4:00 PM

I like Moose as a color commentator, but that team suffers from Siragusa’s often nonsensical banter. Billick is an underrated color commentator and I’m happy to see him have this opportunity.

7. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Jan 4, 2013 4:01 PM

They all suck…but not hearing that fat tub of goo Siragusa will be refreshing.

8. drbob117 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:02 PM

I have no problem with Brennaman and Billick for the most part, and I agree they’re superior to Kenny/ Moose/Goose, but if I have to hear Billick say one more time that the Eagles will never find a better coach than Andy Reid, I’m going to lock him in a room and make him listen to the old Seekers song “I’ll Never Find Another You” on an endless loop.

9. logicalvoicesays says: Jan 4, 2013 4:03 PM

The only good duo on FOX is Gus and Charles Davis.

10. der6495 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:03 PM

Bench Buck & Aikman… forever.

11. trojanwarrior007 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:05 PM

they picked the wrong crew to bench. I much rather would have preferred benching Joe “That was a disgusting act” Buck.

12. AlanSaysYo says: Jan 4, 2013 4:06 PM

Yeah, well I find Billick grating and Brennaman melodramatic.

13. hatesycophants says: Jan 4, 2013 4:10 PM

Brennaman is terrible. The sound of his voice is disturbing. Billick’s douche-bag-self-deprecation shtick has become worn. The networks, however, don’t give a tinker’s damn what viewers think. We get it.

14. boyshole25 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:10 PM

Aikman is the worst ever

15. dexterismyhero says: Jan 4, 2013 4:12 PM

Maybe Howard and Dandy Don can call one from the sky……..Turn out the lights, the party’s over…..

16. sowcrates says: Jan 4, 2013 4:12 PM

Does Billick get paid more as a consequence? Is this a means of bribing him to stay off the radar of anybody looking to lure him back into coaching?

17. threedeep1998 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:12 PM

Billick constantly pronounces names wrong all the time. “Gerald Allen” for one is super annoying. I love his albeit…”all butt”. The Albert crew calls great games all the time and their call of the saints/49ers game was awesome.

18. bucsfan5000 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:16 PM

They should put Gus Johnson with Troy Aikman and have Joe Buck call baseball full time.

19. tschwilly876 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:17 PM

I would rather listen to these two rather than monotone dumb and dumber.( aikman and buck)

20. letemplay says: Jan 4, 2013 4:20 PM

I can certainly see how some people would find Billick a little dry, but I think he explains the Xs and Os better than anyone.

21. kane337 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:22 PM

This is a good move. I enjoy Billick’s commentary. He’s pretty non-biased. Daryl Johnston on the other hand is heavily biased to any game I have watched that involves NFC East teams or the 49ers. It’s sickening. He rarely gives credit to the other team and most always faults the team he’s in bed with or drools over them when they do good.

22. footballmaven says: Jan 4, 2013 4:24 PM

I really do not understand why anybody hates on any of these guys, I have no problem with them. The only hangup I have is why the Alberts (Kenny and Marv) seem to be so favored by network bosses all the time…especially since Al Albert was the best of the bunch….

23. Bob says: Jan 4, 2013 4:27 PM

I like Kenny and Moose. Siragusa (cue Seinfeld) “should be setting pins in a bowling alley.” I like Thom and Billick, but Thom needs to stay off the soapbox that he climbs from time to time.

24. nattypoes says: Jan 4, 2013 4:28 PM

How does JOE BUCK still have a job?!?!?!

Hate is a strong word, but it’s not strong enough to describe my feelings for Joe Buck. He’s a disgrace to every commentator. Ever.

25. dukemarc says: Jan 4, 2013 4:29 PM

Buck and Aikman should be shot….

Out of a cannon…

Into the sun…

26. maxl49 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:31 PM

Albert and Johnston are okay, it’s just Siragusa that makes them unbearable …

27. ronaldjones says: Jan 4, 2013 4:33 PM

Tony Siragusa is one enormous person. They don’t put him in the broadcast booth because he can’t fit.

28. schmitty2 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:33 PM

Well, we can all be thankful it isn’t Ron Pitts and Mike Martz

29. hrmlss says: Jan 4, 2013 4:33 PM

Bring back Dandy Don and Howard, and Madden in the same booth!

30. elliottcovert says: Jan 4, 2013 4:43 PM

I like Billick as a broadcaster, although I understand why people get annoyed at his amazing ability to get at least four players names wrong per game (my personal favorite was “Trevarious Jackson” in reference to Tarvaris Jackson).

31. gorilladunk says: Jan 4, 2013 4:44 PM

Brennaman blows. It’s. Just. That. Simple!

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:46 PM

maddog111 says: Jan 4, 2013 3:56 PM

———–

Exactly, and it’s all annoying.

33. noring4youstill says: Jan 4, 2013 4:47 PM

Why not bench Buck and Troy. Geez they blow

34. jm91rs says: Jan 4, 2013 4:50 PM

If Gus Johnson is in the booth it’s guaranteed to be a good game. He always ends up with the down to the wire and ot games in college bball. His enthusiasm is awesome

35. normanpaperman says: Jan 4, 2013 4:51 PM

Its a shame they could not bump Joe Buck from the line-up.

36. kenorv says: Jan 4, 2013 4:53 PM

Might as well bring back Pat Summerall and John Madden for old times’ sake. One more playoff game and then they can both go out in style. I assume it would be Packers/49’ers. Just think of all of the good stories that those two could tell about both of those teams. Yes, yes, I know. Probably too much Brett Favre talk from Madden but is that really any worse than what we’d get from any other crew?

37. manupngrowapair says: Jan 4, 2013 4:58 PM

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one that can’t stand Aikman and Buck. Joe Buck is only there because of his daddy, and Aikman has suffered so many concussions that I think he gets confused at times. Horrible, horrible broadcast crew. Good on Thom and Billick for the opportunity!

38. eeedlef says: Jan 4, 2013 5:06 PM

I hope Buck is doing the Vikes-Pack and one of the Viking players brings back Moss’ fake moon.

39. thesmedman says: Jan 4, 2013 5:11 PM

When John Madden and Pat Summerall were done at Fox, so was Fox. They have terrible announcers. Way too many people on their “studio” show, too much clowning around.

In fact, when Madden left any network he was with, the quality of their analysis degraded.

I always appreciated Summerall’s minimal-ness – letting action speak for itself. A picture rfeally does speak a thousand words. Buck sounds l;ike he wants to be the smartest guy in the room (especially on baseball, which is his number one sport).

The same is true for ESPN, whose announcers are, arguably, worse than Fox or CBS. And Nantz on CBS needs to stick to golf, which he does quite well.

40. jaketdogg says: Jan 4, 2013 5:18 PM

I miss the days when you could mute the TV and turn on the radio. Now that there is a time delay we have to be subjected to FOX announcers and that is unfortunate. I would pick Brennaman and Billick if given the choice, however. Buck is a condescending twerp and Albert has his job because of Daddy, not Joe.

41. amlowlife says: Jan 4, 2013 5:24 PM

At least this week my wife won’t have to endure my multiple outbursts at the television screen of “Shut up you fat f*ck!” whenever Siragusa speaks.

42. milkmandanimal says: Jan 4, 2013 5:34 PM

I thought Billick was utterly awful when he started as a broadcaster, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at just how good he’s gotten. Doesn’t overtalk, has actual insight, manages to point out details like line play, blown coverages, stuff like that. He’s one of the guys I always like hearing.

Also, I don’t have to hear Tony Siragusa tell me incredibly helpful things like “Kenny, it’s really cold out here” or “Moose, the crowd gets really loud when this team scores!”

43. shawnc16 says: Jan 4, 2013 5:38 PM

I barely notice most of those guys enough to pick anyone over anyone else. I wish some of the in studio guys could get benched though.

44. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 4, 2013 5:41 PM

I grew up on Brennaman watching Cubs games on WGN (back when we could actually get them here back east), so I’m used to his voice. I can see how he can be annoying to some, honestly. Charles Davis is highly undervalued at FOX. And while Gus is better suited for the college game, he should get a shot. I don’t know three people who can even TOLERATE Buck, much less like him. Aikman offers great insight, but his NFC slants toward Dallas and against the Giants (or whoever Dallas is playing against) make him insufferable at times. When Dallas is irrelevant — which is annually around this time of year — he tends to be a lot better.

That said, I wish they had just let Summerall and Madden retire in the booth. We should not be robbed of hearing Summerall’s voice because he scares little children, and Madden with his bird’s nest eyebrows. I grew up on those guys and they were made for big time games.

45. nflr92 says: Jan 4, 2013 5:42 PM

60% of what they say they are pulling straight out of their collective arses. Nobody watching knows what they’re talking about either, so it flies.

It doesn’t matter who is calling the game. Just watch the screen and turn down the sound.

46. darknessspreads says: Jan 4, 2013 6:01 PM

Maybe it’s just because I heard them six or seven times this year as a fan of Seattle, but I actually really like the Chris Myers/Tim Ryan combo (especially Ryan). I’m sad that I’m suck with that dolt Joe “Living Off My Father’s Name” Buck and Troy Aikman this week instead.

47. romoscollarbone says: Jan 4, 2013 6:05 PM

Cowboys fan thru and thru, but whatever you wanna call what goes on between Buck and Aikman is disgusting.

They stare into each others eyes during pregame, it’s really uncomfortable. Not even from an orientation standpoint, just the two of them together weird me out.

48. bringbackkosar says: Jan 4, 2013 6:10 PM

Brennaman’s alright, he’s on FoxOhio 100+ times a season on Reds baseball. A broadcasting pro. Billick is better in a studio setting than in the booth. It is a better team than the one they are replacing.

49. djp519 says: Jan 4, 2013 6:51 PM

Joe Buck is the most annoying play-by-play man ever. Shares WAY too many of his personal opinions, which really should be the job of the color commentator. I wish Fox would bench him instead.

50. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 4, 2013 6:52 PM

That said, I wish they had just let Summerall and Madden call games for as long as they wanted.

51. hushbrother says: Jan 4, 2013 6:59 PM

They could always demote Joe Buck too. That would be fine. And demote Tim McCarver while they’re at it.

52. tooz56 says: Jan 4, 2013 7:00 PM

Joe Buck is the worst thing on TV. How can FOX be so clueless and not see the hatred the fans, their customers, have for him ? He actually makes me angry when he is doing a game Im watching. There is even a facebook page with over 5500 members. PFT how about you do a story on how much Big Head Buck is hated ? And the guy has a deep man crush on Troy. Watch how he looks up at Troy with love in his eyes. And WTF do they have heavy coats, gloves and scarves on when they are IN A BOOTH WITH HEAT ? Come on FOX, we aren’t that stupid. But then….it is FOX.

53. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 4, 2013 7:11 PM

romoscollarbone says: Jan 4, 2013 6:05 PM

————-

Not that I would want them to favor the Giants, but even as a Cowboys fan you have to bothered by how Aikman (particularly) and Buck (going along with them) slants his biases towards Dallas when they’re on FOX.

54. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 4, 2013 7:19 PM

Chris Myers is alright, although with the way he has name mishaps and prematurely calls touchdowns, you’d think he was impersonating Enberg.

55. TheWizard says: Jan 4, 2013 7:23 PM

Can Aikman actually do a game without the Cowboys in it?

Siragusa is just beyond awful.

and don’t be bustin on the Seekers, man.

56. dtlb58 says: Jan 4, 2013 7:24 PM

I don’t know what anyone sees in Gus? He screams constantly and I have more knowledge in football and college BB than he does. I watch all his FOX broadcast now with the TV muted.

57. mrcogburn says: Jan 4, 2013 7:36 PM

Johnston is like fingernails on a chalkboard. He has a voice meant for newspapers.

58. 44mpo says: Jan 4, 2013 7:51 PM

Aikman just plain sucks. His grasp of the obvious is mind boggling. Seriously, listen to some of his color commentary. I wish FOX would remove Troy boy and put Moose in his place.

59. hatesycophants says: Jan 4, 2013 8:00 PM

I have to say, Pat Summerall was an outstanding broadcaster. He became unlistenable towards the end, but that was his baritone from sun up to sundown That was his voice. Brennaman, Buck, Albert, that’s a fake old fashioned baseball broadcast voice. This ain’t baseball and shouldn’t sound like it.

Also, why do you need Billick to explain the X’s and O’s? He is terrible. He’s supposed to be doing.color. He doesn’t appear to know any more about the game than one of these fantasy losers.

60. stampnhawk says: Jan 4, 2013 9:46 PM

Thank goodness.

Kenny Albert’s not that bad, Siragusa is the Frank Gifford who adds the obvious…but Johnston’s ego and soap box that he like to use every series on some other NFL topic, is tiresome and drags both of those guys down, and now out, of the playoffs. Hopefully this takes him down a notch and isn’t so preachy next year.

Brennaman is really good when Buck is doing baseball as he gets paired with Aikman, and he’s pretty good in general.

Billick is the dime a dozen analysts like Tim Ryan and John Lynch, but that’s ok.

Nice to have a refreshing team.

61. larrybrown43 says: Jan 4, 2013 11:23 PM

I love Buck! Great inflection and Aikman is smooth. Collinsworth is smug who always has to say the teams full name, “The Washington Redskins are…” Why can’t he just say Redskins? I like Kenny, The Goose and Moose too. At least they have some fun.

62. scoregasmic says: Jan 5, 2013 2:12 AM

Brennaman is very biased

63. melikefootball says: Jan 5, 2013 8:01 AM

Moose was begining to get full of himself , nice job FOX.

64. thingamajig says: Jan 5, 2013 10:20 AM

Siragusa should stick with remodeling garages.

65. salukis92 says: Jan 5, 2013 10:29 AM

I agree with the Buck haters. Airman I can listen to. Dump Buck and move up the other two teams. Add Aikman to Brenneman/Billick. Although Billick’s ego may not handle it.

66. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 5, 2013 4:39 PM

Collinsworth is the best in the game, and is actually funny, unlike the others who try.