Coin toss skirmish still on minds of Redskins, Seahawks

Michael Robinson, DeAngelo Hall AP

The last time the Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins squared off, the two teams nearly came to blows before the coin toss even took place.

The Redskins traveled to take on the Seahawks last November in a game that featured Rex Grossman and Tarvaris Jackson as the starting quarterbacks.

In a rather bizarre scene before the game, the captains for both teams met referee Clete Blakeman at midfield for the coin toss. Moments later, the teams had to be separated (You can see the altercation by going to the 5:30 mark in this video).

Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall can be seen talking demonstratively in the direction of Seahawks defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove, running back Leon Washington and fullback Michael Robinson. The tiff became more and more agitated before Robinson pointed at Hall’s face, prompting Hall to try and cast Robinson’s arm away. It took nearly two minutes for the coin toss to finally take place with Hall and Washington as the only captains remaining at the center of the field.

The Redskins would go on to win the game after scoring 17 unanswered points in the fourth quarter for a 23-17 victory.

The scuffle during the coin too is an incident neither team has forgotten.

In an interview on the Lavar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan in Washington D.C., Hall said there is no love lost between the two teams.

“I can remember going up there last year and almost fighting at the coin toss so they don’t like us and we don’t like them. It’s going to be a heck of a game,” Hall said.

Just bringing up Hall’s name seemed to get under Robinson’s skin on Thursday.

“I’m looking forward to Sunday to see him,” Robinson said.

The Seahawks had an honorary captain accompany them out for the coin toss that day. Hall’s language in front of the young girl was what prompted the reaction from Robinson.

“You got a little girl out here, you’ve got to watch your mouth man,” Robinson said. “You’re not going to come in my stadium and disrespect us like that. That’s kind of how it was and it went from there.”

While the quarterback battle of Russell Wilson against Robert Griffin III is getting the spotlight for Sunday’s Wild Card round match up, the memory of last season’s altercation combined with the intensity of a playoff atmosphere could lead to some increased tempers Sunday afternoon.

Permalink 76 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
76 Responses to “Coin toss skirmish still on minds of Redskins, Seahawks”
  1. pacificnw7722 says: Jan 4, 2013 1:30 AM

“Just bringing up Hall’s name seemed to get under Robinson’s skin on Thursday.”

“I’m looking forward to Sunday to see him,” Robinson said.

Hawks don’t like the Skins so let the HARD HITTING begin!!

2. fumblenuts says: Jan 4, 2013 1:33 AM

Legion of BOOM! is pissed off and coming for the Redskins….

3. nyjets1017 says: Jan 4, 2013 1:38 AM

I wish i was the girl that was the honorary captain for that one.

4. commonsensedude says: Jan 4, 2013 1:41 AM

At the time, D. Hall was an immature, hot-headed 28 year old who was always looking for confrontation. A lot of time has passed since then. Today, D. Hall is an immature, hot-headed 29 year old who is always looking for confrontation.

5. hendeeze says: Jan 4, 2013 1:43 AM

The Seahawks can stop pretending they have a ROY canidate after the game this weekend. Redskins are gonna crush the 9-24 on the road since 2009 Seahawks.

6. hawksfanallday says: Jan 4, 2013 1:50 AM

I remember that game I was there. Lol Leroy hill and London Fletcher almost fought with that girl doing the toss. felt bad for her.

7. 12thman88 says: Jan 4, 2013 1:58 AM

DeAngelo Hall is a captain?

8. dobberdubinsky says: Jan 4, 2013 1:59 AM

How is DeAngelo Hall even a captain anyhow? The guy is nothing but a loudmouth punk who does nothing but get burnt on a regular basis.

9. toonsterwu says: Jan 4, 2013 2:01 AM

I think the most interesting matchup in this upcoming game is Will Montgomery, Chris Chester, and Kory Lichtensteiger (or Josh Leribus) against Red Bryant. If they can neutralize Bryant inside, the Redskins running game will have a chance, opening up playaction pass. If Red Bryant forces consistent double teams and additional attention, then the Seahawks defense will be able to swarm and attack, and Irvin/Clemons will be able to really push the edge.

Another interesting matchup may be Moss in the slot against Trufant. That might be one area that the Redskins really have a big advantage on.

The other sides of the ball for both teams are important too, but I think whoever wins the battle of the trenches of the Redskins OL vs. the Seahawks DL may determine this game.

10. specialagentjohnnyutah says: Jan 4, 2013 2:18 AM

You stay classy DeAngelo.

11. tdubdizzle says: Jan 4, 2013 2:42 AM

Hall is trash, always has been. What a bum, I hope the Hawks pick on him all day. Dude probably couldnt tackle a pencil.

12. raideralex99 says: Jan 4, 2013 2:52 AM

This is going to be a great game and both the Redskins and Seahawks defence will expose how to stop the option.

13. sweetnlow44 says: Jan 4, 2013 3:10 AM

Hall’s a dirtbag.

14. Pacific NW Mark says: Jan 4, 2013 3:12 AM

Stay classy, Washington, stay classy.

15. toadthechoad says: Jan 4, 2013 4:41 AM

Hall is barking up the wrong tree with Robinson. That I promise. Robinson is a beast.

16. competitivecompetitioncompeter says: Jan 4, 2013 4:52 AM

Real Rob knocked probowler Tim Jennings out for the season, finishing off a run.

Just sayin’.

By the way, what criteria do you use to select DeAngelo Hall one of your team captains? He makes Deon Sanders look like a lunch pail bringing, run supportin’, unselfish locker room presence kinda guy by comparison.

17. bucdaddy72 says: Jan 4, 2013 5:08 AM

Hall is over rated and RG3 is about to be bird seed!!

18. vikesfansteve says: Jan 4, 2013 5:14 AM

Hall has a problem with everyone.

19. kattykathy says: Jan 4, 2013 6:05 AM

Nobody ever accused the Redskins of having class

20. swoopthereitis says: Jan 4, 2013 6:58 AM

DeAngelo Hall is one of the most irritating players in the NFL.

21. nitzenbaum - not yer momma's 'skins fan says: Jan 4, 2013 7:26 AM

Whatever. Beat them in Seattle then with Rex Grossman and will beat them at home Sunday with Robert Griffin III.

22. mayerobeyer says: Jan 4, 2013 7:29 AM

MeAngelo has been and always will be classless.

23. bobgriffinforthewin says: Jan 4, 2013 7:32 AM

The Skins are gonna lay wood on Sunday, defense and offense, HTTR!!!

24. burgundyandgold says: Jan 4, 2013 7:33 AM

I am a die hard skins fan and went to Seattle for that game and remember that fight. I did not know why. D. Hall is a tool. I do not think there is a lot of love for him in Redskins nation even though he played the game of his life v Dez Bryant the other night. That said, two wrongs don’t make a right – if Hall was cursing in front of a kid the mature response is not to start a fight in front of a kid.

I take my kids to NFL games knowing they are going to hear, see and smell things that they should not. My job as their Dad is to explain to them right from wrong.

Skins will win this game.

25. beanocook says: Jan 4, 2013 7:34 AM

NFL trash

26. Gordon says: Jan 4, 2013 7:43 AM

Hall has no class. He’s also overrated…constantly getting beat deep by WRs. He specializes in running after the WR.

27. hor2012 says: Jan 4, 2013 7:45 AM

I’ve never posted anything specific to a player’s personality before. But, I don’t like Hall. And, I never have. He’s probably the most over-hyped defensive player in the league. And, in my opinion one low class individual. I really don’t care who wins the game Sunday. My team will be at home for the playoffs this year. But, whatever happens I really hopes Hall becomes what I’m having for breakfast this morning “toast”

28. nomoreseasontix says: Jan 4, 2013 8:10 AM

Hall is an idiot. But that’s not news.

29. groess says: Jan 4, 2013 8:21 AM

If that is true and Hall did swear in front of the little girl, would it really surprise anybody? The guy is a total tool.

30. norcalmafia says: Jan 4, 2013 8:23 AM

Pete Carrol was an honorary captain for that game?

31. papacrick says: Jan 4, 2013 8:23 AM

This is why I love football. A year ago not one person on here could have been convinced that they’d be excited to see a Seahawks-Redskins matchup.. In the playoffs no less.. Gotta love the NFL draft unless Matt Millen is selecting the players for your squad

32. chawk12thman says: Jan 4, 2013 8:26 AM

Go Seahawks!

33. krank00 says: Jan 4, 2013 8:31 AM

Hall has always been well short of a role model. But profanity on front of a kid…….. that’s low even by his standards.

34. redmosquito16 says: Jan 4, 2013 8:35 AM

So, as good as DeAngelo Hall is on the field, he seems to be equally as classy off the field…

God, I hate people.

35. tvguy22 says: Jan 4, 2013 8:38 AM

Stay classy, Washington.

36. stebutt says: Jan 4, 2013 9:00 AM

So Hall is a jerk. This is not news.

37. Patskrieg dot com says: Jan 4, 2013 9:05 AM

Can’t tell you that I know what this fight was about but lol @ Deangelo Hall. If I had London Fletcher to hide behind I’d feel tough too.

38. szwhtsup123 says: Jan 4, 2013 9:05 AM

Russell Wilson and the Hawks in Beast mode roll r2d2 and the Skins like a pair of socks. Can’t wait to see it!

39. bengalsucker says: Jan 4, 2013 9:10 AM

I really enjoy all the Seahawk fans talking a lot of trash. Your team is playing good ball but haven’t been relevant in years. Now you act like you’re a dynasty already. ANYTHING can happen. Wilson gets hurt on the opening play to the game and you’re done. Don’t get your heads too big too fast. Bengals in ’05 were an offensive superpower. Palmer hurt on like the second play of the playoff game and we were done. It can happen. Stay grounded.

40. RussianBreadMaker says: Jan 4, 2013 9:11 AM

Seahawks 3-5 on the road this year…

41. ac540 says: Jan 4, 2013 9:12 AM

Imagine that….the Redskins player who incited the skirmish was none other than…DeAngelo Hall. Why am I not surprised?

42. rufusporter says: Jan 4, 2013 9:22 AM

I was at the game in which Michael Robinson broke Delanie Walker’s jaw. Not the guy you want to piss off.

43. anarchopurplism says: Jan 4, 2013 9:30 AM

Let the drama be played out on the field

This isn’t Steelers-Ravens or Vikings-Packers.

44. musicman495 says: Jan 4, 2013 9:40 AM

Hall is a jerk, but just to be clear, the contention that Hall started the fight and cursed in front of the girl is Robinson’s version of what happened. It may or may not be what actually happened. Also, TV coverage of the game shows some extra curricular activity after pregame warmups that may have led to the jawing during the coin toss. Who knows (or cares) who might have been responsible for that.

45. jchuber says: Jan 4, 2013 9:45 AM

I will never understand why the hawks have to travel for this years wild card round, when they have a better record (W/L) than the entire nfc east. More west coast bias.

I can already hear the deadskins crying!

46. notsologicalvoice says: Jan 4, 2013 9:46 AM

Players have to watch what they say 24/7. But when you are at the 50 yard line I think they should say what they need to. Maybe that isn’t the place for a little girl?

47. scoobaj says: Jan 4, 2013 9:52 AM

Hawks should play Matt Flynn so Wilson can start preparing for ATL early. Although he might be in by the 3rd quarter anyway like he did in the other blowouts recently

48. specialagentjohnnyutah says: Jan 4, 2013 9:56 AM

RussianBreadMaker says:
    Jan 4, 2013 9:11 AM
    Seahawks 3-5 on the road this year…
    ———

Skins 5-3 at home this year, so not an impossible task by any means.

49. skinsfan28 says: Jan 4, 2013 10:04 AM

Seahawks are traveling because they did not win their Division. There is no East Coast bias. Win your Division and you get to play at home, those losses to St. Louis, AZ and 49ers came back to haunt them.

And in Hall’s defense, who brings a little girl out to the coin flip?? There wasn’t a tea party happening out there!!

50. hendawg21 says: Jan 4, 2013 10:17 AM

specialagentjohnnyutah says:
    Jan 4, 2013 9:56 AM
    RussianBreadMaker says:
    Jan 4, 2013 9:11 AM
    Seahawks 3-5 on the road this year…
    ———

Skins 5-3 at home this year, so not an impossible task by any means.

So what’s your point??? Seahacks 3-5 on the road Skins 5-3 at home….

What you’re missing is 7-0 since the bye…8-0 after Sunday…

51. cowboyhater says: Jan 4, 2013 10:25 AM

Never have been a D Hall fan, and don’t expect him here next year, but for this weekend I will hope he can come up with another game like he had against Dez Bryant last weekend.

52. sikologik says: Jan 4, 2013 10:36 AM

jchuber says:
    Jan 4, 2013 9:45 AM

Let me make it simple for the simpleton. It’s because Washington won their division and Seattle did not. These have been the rules for, um, ever. So crying bias is, um, stupid. Case closed.

53. xplicitpits says: Jan 4, 2013 11:08 AM

I have no problem with Sea going to Wash DC for this game even if Seattle has a better record. Sea knocked off the saints being the first team with a losing record to host & win a playoff game. Redskins fans quit acting like you have a team. You beat the Browns once & the Cowgirls & Eagles twice. Matter of fact you had two games with the Cowgirls that were still in doubt in the 4th QTR. We ended Dallas by halftime. Your Signature Win is against Minnesota & Raven team who was missing everybody. Minnesota beat them by 10 & Adrian Peterson ran for 182 & 2tds. Seattle crushed them. Ravens full squad lost to Seattle last year. Be scared! Very scared! Seattle’s offensive line leads the league in the 3rd qtr carting off defensive lineman. Seattle is going to crush the Redskins in their house!

54. themackstrong says: Jan 4, 2013 11:15 AM

NFC East is a pretty weak division, lets just face the facts. Hall better not try tackle Mike Rob like Tim Jennings, he is a nice guy but will lay dudes out on the field. Go Hawks.

55. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 4, 2013 11:16 AM

I get the feeling this one could get ugly quickly this weekend. I love it!

56. Little Earthquake says: Jan 4, 2013 11:25 AM

O Captain My Captain!

57. hendawg21 says: Jan 4, 2013 11:25 AM

Well, well…this explains the football IQ of some Seahack fans!

jchuber says:
    Jan 4, 2013 9:45 AM

_____________________________

To go a step further you were given a win over GB you shouldn’t have gotten which means for the most part you should be 10-6 again meaning you would also be on the road…we’ll chalk up you’re lack of football 101 on too much starbucks coffee…

58. beneaththeunderdog says: Jan 4, 2013 11:26 AM

I expect to get a lot of ‘thumbs down’ for this one. (The ‘he specializes in chasing WR’ line was good…I’m still laughing). I happen to like D. Hall’s brash antics. It gives the defense a swagger that would otherwise be lacking. I would love form that swagger to translate on the field a little more, but how passionless and plain would that defense be without him out there. He gets burned regularly, but he’s a hell of a run stopper and is always causing fumbles and is a high risk/reward guy in going after interceptions. Never curse in front of kids… but the guy is one of the unsung keys in this seven game outburst.

59. logicalvoicessays says: Jan 4, 2013 11:31 AM

They better stay away from my baby RG3. I hope he doesn’t get hurt if there’s a skirmish, ill be devastated. He’s my whole life, he will love me too when we meet one day. I will wait in his garbage can and surprise him with and engagement ring, he’ll be swept off his feet and mine 4e. Logic <3's Bob 4e.

60. seatown206 says: Jan 4, 2013 11:34 AM

Marinate Saturday, Cooler filled Sunday Morning- Get Jacked up Pre Game! Watch My Hawkz!!!! Sunday cant get here soon enough…..Repyocity

61. weizdumm says: Jan 4, 2013 11:34 AM

While xplicitpits is playing the,”we” beat this team and “you” didn’t, which means we’re automatically going to win, game. Let me point out that……..

The Seahawks lost to the Cardinals and Lions…you failed to mention those 2 gems when you were down playing every Redskin win.

If you want to focus on a stat of actual relevence to this game. The Seahawks are 3-5 on the road, with road L’s vs the Cardinals, Lions, and Dolphins, who have a combined record of 16-32.

The Seahawks could very well win this game, the are very good, but facts are facts, they are a terrible road team and the Redskins are every bit as hot as the Seahawks.

62. hendawg21 says: Jan 4, 2013 11:37 AM

and this from:

themackstrong says:
    Jan 4, 2013 11:15 AM

_________________________________

oh yes and the NFC West with the likes of St. Louis and Arizona is such a tough division bahaha

Don’t kid yourself, I think you Seahack fans are trying to a bit too hard to compare yourselves as one of the elites…

63. mathomp3 says: Jan 4, 2013 11:38 AM

Did I see a Bengal fan calling the Seahawks irrelevant? Strange that he would also reference the ’05 Bengal team being a super power when the Seahawks actually made it to the SUPERBOWL that year.

64. howiehandles says: Jan 4, 2013 11:38 AM

I’m shocked that Hall’s name is here. It must be a case of mistaken identity. Someone was obviously wearing his jersey by mistake.

65. liddogg33 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Ps….. Skins fans talking about being irrelevant????? Nobody remembers theisman and riggins anymore!!!! Your team hasnt been relevant for 20 years

66. uschawk says: Jan 4, 2013 12:50 PM

What you mean the St. Louis team that beat the Redskins???

HAHAHAHA what a stupid argument to make. The NFC East is not the elite, not this year. The Seahawks dominated the Cowboys when they were healthy.

The Patriots are probably the best team and the NFC West went 3-1 against them this year. The NFC West is bad is an old out of date argument.

67. drstrangehawk says: Jan 4, 2013 1:42 PM

Seahawks have to go on the road against the Redskins because they won their division ( a weak one).
    Seattle lost to the Cards, 9’rs, and Rams early in the season when the choke chain was pulled tight (still a better record than the Skins in the first half of the season) then the Beast Was Released in the second half.
    The Seattle D has been a force all season long. The Redskins will be no match for the Legion of BOOM!
    … oh and quit bringing up the Packers game. That was a legit play…go back to school and read the NFL rule book.

68. highlydoubtful says: Jan 4, 2013 2:52 PM

jchuber says: Jan 4, 2013 9:45 AM

—————————

I am sure you felt the same way when the division winning Seahawks at 7-9 hosted the 11-5 Saints.
    What kind of bias was that?

69. skinsfan91 says: Jan 4, 2013 3:20 PM

This going to be one sweet win. HTTR.

70. weizdumm says: Jan 4, 2013 3:47 PM

Seahawk fans complaining about having a road playoff game even though they have a better record than their opponent is fantastically hypocrital….

Your 7-9 Seahawks hosted the 11-5 Saints in a playoff game a few years back.

71. chrismatthewsucks says: Jan 4, 2013 4:19 PM

RG3 12 fumbles.

Seahawks beat 7 of top 14 defenses..

The best defense redskins beat…. drum roll… Eagles, this is the same team that the 4-12 Cardinals smacked around.

72. edhochuliisanhonestzebra says: Jan 4, 2013 4:20 PM

musicman495 says: Jan 4, 2013 9:40 AM

___________________________________
    Yeah, just like Adrian Peterson got up from the pile complaining that the dirty-cheating player Hall slapped him in the face and Hall’s version was complete denial that it happened!
    Hall is a low-life and doesn’t belong in the NFL.

73. aprilwalker2013 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:59 PM

Wow! The Skins are VERY MUCH relevant this year!! Hawks may win this game but all this talk as if Skins dont even deserve to host this game is unreal!! Skins have won 7 straight games, this is the NFL people! No matter who you beat!!
    As for Hall, he may not be the nicest person around but Dez Bryant was handled by Hall!! Hail to the REDSKINS!!

74. frmedic007 says: Jan 4, 2013 5:02 PM

I’d love to know who the Redskins beat this year that make them think they are so good.

75. andylucksneck says: Jan 4, 2013 8:04 PM

Just wait till Sunday sea chicken fans.

76. skinsdiehard says: Jan 6, 2013 12:51 AM

Who did the Skins beat? We beat Dallas, Minnesota, Gianta, Saints, Ravens. I dont see2 easy wins over the Cardinals like the Seadogs had. Truly just a 9-7 squad. I can’t wait to send them packing. Skins irrelevant for 20 yrs? we won the division in 1999 and were Superbowl favorites in 2000. Were in playoffs in 2005 & 2007. How is that irrelevant? Do you mean haven’t won a SB in 20 yrs? Well, that would mean the Seadogs have been irrelevant since their existence in 1976. Skins will keep them irrelevant losers.