Potential top pick Jarvis Jones enters NFL draft

Jarvis Jones AP

Jarvis Jones, a Georgia outside linebacker who is viewed as a potential first overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft, has made his decision: He’s leaving school to go pro.

That decision has been expected all year, as Jones has been discussed as one of the best pro prospects in college football. ESPN’s Mel Kiper ranks Jones as the best player at any position in this year’s draft.

Jones has led the SEC in sacks in each of the last two seasons, and he also led the NCAA in forced fumbles in 2012. There may be questions, however, about whether he’s a consistent every-down player, and there could also be questions about his injury history: He started his college career at USC and transferred after the school’s doctors recommended that he quit football because of spinal stenosis. Georgia’s doctors have cleared him to play and he has had no further neck problems, but he did have ankle, groin and shoulder injuries that hampered him at times in 2012 and caused him to miss two games.

If Jones is healthy, however, scouts may drool over his ability to get to the quarterback. With the Chiefs owning the first overall pick in the draft, Andy Reid could be coaching Jones in Kansas City next year.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Potential top pick Jarvis Jones enters NFL draft”
  1. yelix says: Jan 4, 2013 12:22 PM

The Chiefs already have two Pro Bowl-caliber pass rushing OLB’s.

2. markcycy says: Jan 4, 2013 12:22 PM

andy reid drafting a lb first, ah no i dont think so

3. stoutfiles says: Jan 4, 2013 12:22 PM

4. bucrightoff says: Jan 4, 2013 12:23 PM

I mean he’s a good player and all, but just shows you how weak this draft class is that he’s in consideration for the number one pick.

5. tdurk34 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:23 PM

Nope, not KC, Andy doesn’t value LB play!!!

6. detroitrollin22 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:24 PM

KC has Justin Houston & Tamba Hali. Don’t see them taking another OLB in Jones.

7. jimmerg31385 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:26 PM

8. gerard33 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:27 PM

One thing the Chiefs don’t really need is a pass rushing OLB… Why take Houston or Hali off the field? Star Lotuleli (sp?) perhaps or even Teo would fit… in truth it’s a bad year to have the #1 with no great WR or QB….

My advice? Impact D player, trade back up into top 15 to grab your favorite QB.

9. kingpel says: Jan 4, 2013 12:27 PM

Trade down!

10. radrntn says: Jan 4, 2013 12:27 PM

KC is taking a qb…..it is by far and away their greatest need.

11. blacknole08 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:28 PM

He’s going to the Jaguars probably. They could use an impact player on defense and Jones has taken over games at UGA.

I will tell you though that this young man is a BEAST! Should have been a finalist for the Heisman IMO.

12. coonsqualler says: Jan 4, 2013 12:28 PM

…He started his college career at USC and transferred after the school’s doctors recommended that he quit football because of spinal stenosis.

Sounds just like a Heckert pick with my old Brownies!

Just Sayin’…Go Brownies!

13. kingpel says: Jan 4, 2013 12:28 PM

Bring in Vick and draft Geno Smith!

14. chattanola says: Jan 4, 2013 12:29 PM

The injury history of Jarvis would give me cause to pause. Chiefs could use a QB too. Maybe they trade that number one pick to get an Alex Smith or Matt Flynn.

15. steelernationisthepinnacleofexistenceyouarenothing says: Jan 4, 2013 12:31 PM

Bust.

16. somekat says: Jan 4, 2013 12:32 PM

Reid will not take a LB with the top pick, period. He doesn’t value the postion

That being said, I’d expect him to either go to Oakland or Jax.

As an Eagles fan who wants Joekel at #4, anybody that enters the draft that could go above him is good for me

17. daknight93 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:38 PM

Jarvis is a solid player, but he is truly weak against the run and needs to improve in this area.

18. iggles07 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:39 PM

If you know Reid at all, then you can bet your life he won’t draft a linebacker in the first round let alone the top five. His style of play does not value positions like RB, safety or linebacker that highly.

19. uwsptke says: Jan 4, 2013 12:39 PM

Spinal Stenosis is no joke. Would be a huge medical red flag. And as others have stated, you have Hali and Houston as OLB’s, and if the rumors are true that they may end up landing a Tampa-2 DC (Smith, Kiffen, Jauron or Rivera if fired) and switch to a 4-3, this makes even less sense.

20. worldchampsbaby says: Jan 4, 2013 12:40 PM

Now I’ve never looked at his CAT scan,but spinal stenosis NEVER goes away.There are surgeries that can widen the spinal canal,but with or without surgery one killer hit not only ends his career,wastes a high #1pick,but could very well paralyze him.

21. albertmn says: Jan 4, 2013 12:40 PM

Now begins the legion of people posting and screaming “Trade down!”. But, with no obvious #1 pick, why would any other team trade up to that spot? It drives me crazy every year around the draft with the hoards that keep yelling about trading down. I understand why it would make sense, but if there isn’t anyone to draft in that spot that is worth it, why would any other team trade up? You can’t trade down without someone else willing to trade up.

22. jbaxt says: Jan 4, 2013 12:42 PM

Trade Hali for say, 2 2nd rounders, take Jones. I didn’t see how Hali was pro-bowl worthy and I didn’t miss a snap of this sweet 2-14 season, Houston played opposite of him and had a better season. Use the Hali pick for your QB. Or take the DT from Utah or the LT from A&M. No QB is worth a top 15 pick in this draft. Their early 2nd should yield a top 3-4 QB in this draft. Or trade the 2nd for a Cousins, Flynn, or Smith.

23. flybirdhaters27 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:44 PM

Andy Reid does not draft LB’s in the first round, certainly not #1 overall. He’ll probably take Geno Smith in a down year for QB’s or an OL. He loves drafting lineman.

24. hyzers says: Jan 4, 2013 12:45 PM

My Lions will draft him at #5 and he will have an insane rookie year until he makes a self-inflicted, career-ending hit on somebody.

25. gadzod says: Jan 4, 2013 12:46 PM

Jarvis Jones is a BEAST. With that said, people need to realize he has Spinal Stenosis. Its no joke. He was recommended to leave from football two years ago. As great as he has been, his condition could worsen at any time. He is definitely an extremely high risk with a potential high reward.

26. thraiderskin says: Jan 4, 2013 12:50 PM

Spinal stenosis? not a chance in the world he should even be considered in the first round.

27. blueintown says: Jan 4, 2013 12:51 PM

Anyone else think Jones may be the second best linebacker on that unit (Ogletree)?

28. EJ says: Jan 4, 2013 12:51 PM

I want Buffalo to grab Vick, then spend their 8th overall pick on Keenan Allen, then in the 2nd round grab Landry Jones or Tyler Wilson for the future Franchise QB.

29. greysolon says: Jan 4, 2013 12:53 PM

Should be interesting— He looks too small to play LB but too big/not fast enough to play safety.

30. cantonbound13 says: Jan 4, 2013 12:54 PM

Can he play qb?

31. cardiovascularendurance says: Jan 4, 2013 12:56 PM

The only question that matters is does he have fluid hips?

32. jibberator says: Jan 4, 2013 12:58 PM

Poor kid, Andy Reid is known for wasting talent.

33. pudgalvin says: Jan 4, 2013 1:00 PM

“maybe its just me, but when I watched him this year he looked really undersized for an edge rusher. I know he’s listed as 6’2″ 240, but he looks a lot closer to 220 on TV.”

Thought the exact same thing. I watched the Tennessee game, the South Carolina game, Florida game, Bama game and the Nebraska game, and I just didn’t see a top 5 player. He was lights out against Florida, and almost non existant in the other games I watched. I don’t claim to be a scout, but he looked undersized and inconsistant to me.

34. d0minate says: Jan 4, 2013 1:13 PM

Well, if Mel Kiper says he is the best ever, then he must be…..

35. grs27 says: Jan 4, 2013 1:13 PM

—————————————————————-

he is nothing less than a Beast abnd will thrive in a 3-4 D.

36. chattanola says: Jan 4, 2013 1:19 PM

If the NFL is so concerned with player safety and is facing a gazillion dollars worth of lawsuits, how can it be that a man with spinal stenosis not be banned from entering the league?

I’ve heard a lot of veterans and players claim that players want to play and need to be protected from themselves.

37. thestatsishere says: Jan 4, 2013 1:26 PM

For the Chiefs to not take a quarterback would either mean the QBs are really really really bad. I shudder to think about another year with Matt Cassel as your starter…

38. dawgs105 says: Jan 4, 2013 1:28 PM

stoutfiles says:Jan 4, 2013 12:22 PMIf he’s such a good linebacker, why wasn’t he in the Heisman discussion? Why did Teo win all the awards?

Because Jarvis Jones didn’t play for Notre Dame. If he played for a traditional powerhouse school he wouldve been ahead of Teo.

Also, I really hope he goes to a 3-4 not a 4-3, because as talented as he is, he isn’t grest against the run or pass coverage. He is a Clay Matthews style OLB. And he is too small to play DE in a 4-3.

39. blackandbluedivision says: Jan 4, 2013 1:31 PM

Lions at #5

40. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 4, 2013 1:44 PM

Most certain can’t miss player since Aaron Curry.

41. iggles07 says: Jan 4, 2013 1:47 PM

Kansas City fans – there’s one thing I can absolutely assure you of on draft day. Andy Reid will draft someone with a ‘high motor”. A guy that is “undersized, but never quits on a play”. He may draft a guard and convert him to tackle, or a defensive end and convert him to linebacker, or a guy best suited for the 3-4, while he implements a 4-3 defense. I like Andy and I hope he does well for you, but you won’t love his drafts OR the way he plans to use said draftee.

42. rtant2013 says: Jan 4, 2013 1:57 PM

@radrntn

If the Chiefs take a qb with the 1st pick it will be one of the dumbest draft decisions I’ve personally witnessed. Lennon, Barkley, Klein and whateever other qb that comes out isn’t worth a top 10 or 15 pick. I would trade down, stack up picks and try to get one of the qbs in the latter part of the 1st round or 2nd round. But even if they get one of these qbs, are they really going to be able to come in and start? I don’t see an RG3, Luck, Wilson, Dalton in the draft, where they can come in a have success ( left Newton out because he couldn’t take his team anywhere near the playoffs like the rest did). After seeing the depth of this years draft, I’m even happier with the decision to get RG3, and not having a 1st round pick, its not a very exciting draft class this year.

43. cruells says: Jan 4, 2013 1:59 PM

A snowball has a better chance of surviving in hell than Andy Reid drafting a LB in the first round.. He will draft an OL or DL like he has done almost every year..

44. donnymacjack says: Jan 4, 2013 2:11 PM

Cief’s fan should pray he isn;t another Aaron Curry.

45. chc4 says: Jan 4, 2013 2:13 PM

Undersized? He’s alot of things but undersized isn’t one of them.

Most pass rushing OLB’s are weak against the run. Dude can play pass coverage though. He had a couple of INTs this year. Those saying he’s overrated didn’t watch the games I did.

46. mdpgc says: Jan 4, 2013 2:15 PM

Chris Samuels(OL, Redskins) had spinal stenosis and he played 10 solid years, before he was forced to retire because of the condition.

47. raiderdaddy says: Jan 4, 2013 2:24 PM

this guy will get Man handled in the NFL! Im a RaiderFan, of coarse i want the chiefs to pick him 1st over-all! lols!

48. aliowlsfalcons19 says: Jan 4, 2013 2:46 PM

since they regular post isnt being allowed to show, ill just go with this, he missed 2 games also this season while leading the sec in sacks n forced fumbles. he’ll be fine

49. couchbasher says: Jan 4, 2013 2:48 PM

So, a first overall defensive pick for a league that doesnt value defense…. wow

50. pudgalvin says: Jan 4, 2013 2:55 PM

“Jones was often Double and triple team blocked this whole year. He is at dominating at rushing the passer, forcing fumbles, shedding blocks, and tackling.
    he is nothing less than a Beast abnd will thrive in a 3-4 D.”

Sorry, but I don’t buy that. I watched enough Georgia games to know that for one, that’s just not true, and two, it’s way too difficult to double team a OLB in a 3-4 scheme every play. I’m sure it happened, but any d coordinator with half a brain can move an outside guy around enough to stop that from happening to terribly often.

51. eaglesfan290 says: Jan 4, 2013 3:36 PM

As an Eagles Fan I can assure you Reid will not draft a productive player in the first round!

Reid essentially had the draft taken away from him last year by Laurie and Roseman which is how we ended up with a playmaker in Cox!

2011 Danny Watkins
    2010 Brandon Graham
    2009 Jeremy Maclin
    2008 NONE
    2007 NONE
    2006 Brodrick Bunkley
    2005 Mike Patterson
    2004 Shawn Andrews
    2003 Jerome McDougle
    2002 Lito Sheppard
    2001 Freddie Mitchell
    2000 Corey Simon
    1999 Donovan McNabb

No real game changers since 1999 that is the Reid legacy in Philly!

52. realdealsteel says: Jan 4, 2013 3:58 PM

QB is the Chiefs greatest need, but none are worth the first pick overall.

Chiefs have a great need for a cornerback and a wide receiver because Dwayne Bowe isn’t coming back.

53. grs27 says: Jan 4, 2013 4:12 PM

—————————————————————-Did you watch the Bama game? They had him double teamed just about the whole game.

Dont think he is a beast? Watch the Florida game.

54. orlandodawg says: Jan 4, 2013 5:46 PM

Injury History???? This guy has Cleveland Brown written all over him.

55. lilrob10201 says: Jan 4, 2013 7:22 PM

Andy likes his O-lineman I would not be surprised if he takes Luke Joeckle.

56. granadafan says: Jan 4, 2013 7:39 PM

History says picking a linebacker in the 1st overall spot = bust.

57. aliowlsfalcons19 says: Jan 4, 2013 8:54 PM

last backer that was #1 was aundray bruce by my falcons, saddens me knowing that guys like irvin thurman thomas sterling sharpe n even romanowski was in the same draft!

58. beanocook says: Jan 4, 2013 10:00 PM

Jones is Derrick Thomas like. Speed all day off edge. Avg vs run. Since when did NFL care about running? It’s a one dimensional league.

59. jomochiefsfan84 says: Jan 5, 2013 6:10 PM

QB will not be the chiefs 1st pick I expect it to be defense or an o lineman. For all you people that say Reid won’t draft defense your wrong the eagles 1st pick in the draft last yr was DT fletcher cox & I know he is not the only defensive pick he has drafted with the 1st pick over the span of his head coaching career.