Chuck Pagano: I underestimated how great Colts fans were

Chuck Pagano AP

The remarkable story of Chuck Pagano’s first year as Colts head coach adds another chapter with Sunday’s game against the Ravens and the coach took a little time before the game to recognize the team’s fans.

Pagano sent an open letter to the Indianapolis Star thanking fans in Indianapolis and elsewhere for their support of him and the team during his battle with cancer. Pagano left the team in the fifth week of the season after getting diagnosed and returned to the sideline for the Week 17 victory over the Texans.

“When I accepted the job as head coach of the Indianapolis Colts last January, it was a dream come true for me and my family. I knew I was coming to an organization with a great owner and a great winning tradition. I knew Indy had great fans, but I might have underestimated just how great. Being new to the community I never expected the outpouring of support I received from Colts fans throughout the state and country. The love and support you showed my family and me gave me a tremendous amount of comfort and peace. Every letter, success story, prayer and act of kindness made this process a whole lot easier. I am also fortunate to have had some of the best doctors and nurses in the country right here in Indiana to care for me.”

If the Colts win on Sunday, they’ll head to Denver to face Peyton Manning and the Broncos, which makes you wonder if some Hollywood screenwriter hasn’t been putting this together the whole time.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Chuck Pagano: I underestimated how great Colts fans were”
  1. pmilz45 says: Jan 6, 2013 11:24 AM

Don’t know what to do….root for such a great story and guy with Chuck Pagano or for the best middle linebacker in the games history to win one more ring before stepping away.

Either way, I’m happy for whoever wins this one for different reasons.

2. steelersownyou says: Jan 6, 2013 11:26 AM

Not a colts fan. But I’m a pagano, arians fan. And as a steeler fan I hate the ravens. So c’mon colts let’s do this! So today all of steeler nation is pulling for a colts victory!!!

3. jakec4 says: Jan 6, 2013 11:46 AM

Sorry Chuck but after today the ride ends. You can be ‘Chuck Strong’ from the couch next week.

4. hehateme2 says: Jan 6, 2013 12:08 PM

Well, their “Suck for Luck campaign” seems to have worked.

5. modellforprez says: Jan 6, 2013 12:08 PM

bruce arians was just taken to a baltimore hospital with unspecified illness. aren’t colts and horseshoes supposed to be good luck? these guys are going through it. get well. B.A your true burgh supporters got your back

6. denverdude7 says: Jan 6, 2013 12:39 PM

Chuck Pagano is one class act and so are the good people of Indiana. I will be pulling for the Colts today.

That said, I have just two words to add:

GO BRONCOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. motobus says: Jan 7, 2013 8:04 AM

“I underestimated how great Colts fans were”, and “I might have underestimated just how great they were” are not the same thing.

The former implies that he had an implicit estimation of their greatness, whereas the latter doesn’t.