Ed Reed’s not thinking about end of his football career

Wild Card Playoffs - Indianapolis Colts v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Given how long he’s played alongside Ray Lewis in the Ravens defense and how often he’s played Hamlet about retiring in the last few offseasons, it was inevitable that safety Ed Reed would be asked about his own football future in the wake of Sunday’s 24-9 victory over the Colts.

Reed said he wasn’t any more emotional before or during the game because he and Lewis had spent a lot of time talking about this day in the past. According to Reed, they aren’t doing any talking about the possibility that Sunday could have also been Reed’s last home game as a member of the Ravens.

“I am not thinking of that right now. I’m going to complete this year, and, like I always tell you, I will assess it every year,” Reed said. “I assess myself every year physically. If you’re in football and you don’t do that, then something is wrong. I’m not worried about that. I’m not focused on that. Right now, it’s playoffs and it’s Denver. And, it’s football.”

Reed doesn’t have a contract for next season so it’s possible that it could have been his final home game as a Raven without his career coming to an end. That seems like an unlikely way for things to play out, but anything’s possible at this point in time. Which means we shouldn’t be expecting Reed dancing his way out of a victory formation if the Ravens find themselves in such a position during their playoff run.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Ed Reed’s not thinking about end of his football career”
  1. ravenator says: Jan 7, 2013 9:17 AM

Reed won’t be back in Baltimore unless its for the right price. Ravens need to take care of Kruger before paying Reed another 8 million.

2. uvmcatamounts says: Jan 7, 2013 9:17 AM

I’ve loved watching Ed for years now but this year has been frustrating. It certainly feels like more tackles missed than made and more picks dropped than caught, and every time he makes a hit I have to hold my breath hoping he hasn’t seriously injured himself.

Having said all that, OF COURSE I would love for him to be back on the Ravens next season. Greatest safety of my time.

3. joetoronto says: Jan 7, 2013 9:20 AM

I hate to say it but I think he should hang them up too.

Man, for the Ravens to lose the leadership of both of them though, that’s not going to be easy.

The new sheriff is obviously going to be Suggs, he’ll carry the torch well, that’s for sure.

4. southpaw2k says: Jan 7, 2013 9:34 AM

I think Reed should hang his cleats up along with Ray after this season, too. He’s played his heart out for the Ravens during his career, and while I’d love for the team to win a ring for them in their final season in the league, I don’t see the Ravens getting past Denver this weekend. The team is going to take on a whole new personality next season if indeed Reed retires along with Lewis, but Suggs and Ngata are completely capable of leading the defense next year and beyond.

5. schmitty2 says: Jan 7, 2013 9:43 AM

Reed is thinking about his next pondered retirement and holdout

6. ravanator says: Jan 7, 2013 9:50 AM

Poor Ed Reed, he will retire and never know whats like to win the Super Bowl

7. steelersownyou says: Jan 7, 2013 10:21 AM

Who cares. Enjoy the next game cause its your last reed. This team will be wo irrelevant next year. Lewis gone. Reed gone. Pretty sad when your hopes are in a Paul Kruger and some subpar Qb name joe flacco. Can’t wait to watch manning pick this sad declining defense apart…its going to be glorious!!!

8. fwippel says: Jan 7, 2013 10:36 AM

Reed has a shot to be the NFL’s all-time interceptions leader if he sticks around a few more years. I can’t imagine him retiring at this point, even if his tackling skills have deteriorated.

9. jiggy3198 says: Jan 7, 2013 10:40 AM

Is it me or Steeler fans total jerks. steelers are sitting on the couch watching the ravens play. Win or lose we play two extra weeks and in the playoffs again. For the fifth straight year. Amazing that Flacco is the only quarterback in the history of the National Football League to lead his team to the playoffs five years in a row and win. Did you hear me the only quarterback in NFL history The declining Steelers will soon learn what it’s like to be in the basement.

10. jiggy3198 says: Jan 7, 2013 10:42 AM

Why are Steeler fans jerks. All Flacco does is win. he is the only quarterback I repeat the only quarterback in NFL history to take his team to the playoffs five consecutive years and win a playoff game in his first five years NFL. The only quarterback. I don’t know why everyone is a Flacco hater when all he does is win and we are all accustomed to the playoffs of Baltimore.

11. scoobies05 says: Jan 7, 2013 11:11 AM

because if anyone knows what a declining football team looks like it would be steelers ownyou. hard to take you seriously when your declining team couldnt even make the playoffs.

12. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 7, 2013 12:13 PM

A lot of bragging about getting to the playoffs but none about going to the SB…..got it only the steelers go to the SB out of the afcn. And jiggly you are a jerk and so are some steeler fans ,but not all. Just saying…

13. crownofthehelmet says: Jan 7, 2013 12:46 PM

“Amazing that Flacco is the only quarterback in the history of the National Football League to lead his team to the playoffs five years in a row and win.”

When you say it like that, it’s amazing the Raven’s FO haven’t locked this guy up. Or maybe they see something you armchair coach’s can’t.

14. crownofthehelmet says: Jan 7, 2013 12:53 PM

“Reed has a shot to be the NFL’s all-time interceptions leader if he sticks around a few more years.”

Exactly. “Team be damned, I need my stats” Reed will definitely be back.

15. Paul Stagg says: Jan 7, 2013 1:45 PM

I don’t think Reed comes back to Baltimore next year, but I don’t necessarily think he’ll retire.

I just can’t see the Ravens paying him what he’s going to want, but I think someone will.

16. randallflagg52 says: Jan 7, 2013 3:06 PM

Lots of talk from a team that almost lost to a Browns team starting a practice squad QB a couple of weeks ago…

17. doublec42788 says: Jan 7, 2013 3:32 PM

Come back to Miami!

18. beauregard says: Jan 7, 2013 3:34 PM

He’s a good safety for sure, but I can’t get over that play where Knowshon Merino hurdled him as he swat at the air with a bewildered look on his face.

19. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 7, 2013 3:46 PM

randallflagg52 says:
    Jan 7, 2013 3:06 PM

0 0 You brag about a QB that gets to five playoffs in a row . Rather have a QB that has been to the SB three times and has two rings and that is why we can talk.

20. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 7, 2013 4:18 PM

It is very hard to take any ravens fan seriously when they are so happy to just get to the playoffs..

21. scoobies05 says: Jan 7, 2013 5:29 PM

harder to hear from steelers fans who only can rest on past accomplishments and cant face the reality of not being in the playoffs. 6 trophies is impressive but completely irrelevant in the 2012 playoffs. go ravens

22. richwizl says: Jan 7, 2013 7:58 PM

Nice to see they’re focused; now go bust some Broncos!

23. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 7, 2013 9:26 PM

So six SB wins doesn’t count but five playoff appearances does..must be the new math in Baltimore …that’s how you argue that lesser past accomplishments means more..go figure.

24. thebonus44 says: Jan 8, 2013 7:29 AM

Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 7, 2013 4:18 PM

————————————————

You’re funny. It is very hard to take any steelers fan seriously when they brag about their six “titles”. You do realize your team was founded in 1932? (Hell, your own FO loves to tell people they’ve been around 80 years!) If so, then you must know that it took FORTY YEARS to even become relevant? It took the Ravens FOUR years to win a title. Congratulations, you dominated the 1970s with steroids and amphetamines, you must be awfully proud. Oh, wait, after the 70s you were irrelevant for another 26 years. Everyone knows this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, and the only thing the Steelers have done in recent memory is lose to the Raiders, Chiefs and Browns of the league two years in a row.

Have fun polishing your old memories, good luck with your salary cap next year.