Jaworski says Jon Gruden would be interested in Eagles

Getty Images

Largely ignored for the first week of the 2013 hiring cycle, former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden seems to be doing his damnedest to create a market where none apparently exists.

Via John Clark of NBC10 in Philly, former in-booth partner Ron Jaworski of ESPN said on 97.5 The Fanatic that:  (1) Jaworski has spoken to Gruden; (2) the Eagles haven’t reached out yet to Gruden; and (3) Gruden would be interested.

So much for Gruden being committed to ESPN.

Earlier today, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the Browns “might be” interested in Gruden.  We promptly learned that the more accurate term is “aren’t.”

The end result seems to be an effort to inject Gruden into the discussion for one or more of the vacant jobs.  And that’s an effort no one (especially Gruden) ever thought would be necessary when it comes to his return to the NFL.  Everyone (especially Gruden) believed teams would be falling all over themselves to hire him.

Now, it looks like Gruden is falling all over himself to attract some/any interest.

85 responses to “Jaworski says Jon Gruden would be interested in Eagles

1. Gruden is a celebrity more than a headcoach. He won a SB with a team that Dungy built, other than that, he’s accomplished nothing.

2. I get it. It’s the off-season, so there is no Tebow news. Chip Kelly done his dance and stayed at Oregon, so now we have to deal with these false reports about Gruden going somewhere. I don’t think teams are courting him near as much as these reports suggest. And as for him being interested in the Eagles job, well, I am interested in also, but doesn’t mean they are actually thinking about hiring me.

3. John Gruden may be the best ever on Monday Night Football. Much better there than on the sideline???? I hope he stays in the booth for a long time.

4. I love how everybody is speaking for Jon Gruden.
    Like they did for Andy Reid to the Cardinals…
    and just about everybody else to the Bills but the guy they hired.

Wake me when they hire someone. I’m tired of all the speculation and wild goose chases. Jon Gruden probably sitting at home watching the National Championship game and laughing at all y’all.

5. Not an Eagles fan, nor do I care who they pick as a coach but I’d like to see Mooch come back and coach. If the Eagles take Gruden he will be out of the booth so thats a plus.

6. I’d make that hire in a heartbeat if I were Lurie. And as an Eagles fan I’d be very happy. There, That should about do it. I’m sure Mr. Lurie was simply waiting for my opinion. And since I hadn’t shared it yet…I thought it only fair to Iggles nation that I did so we could all move on. Your welcome. 🙂

7. Buddy Ryan is the best bet for Cleveland….Then they’d have a WINNER intown and someone who is ancient.

Maybe one of the Modell sons would love the job.

8. Do we know for a fact gruden wants to get his name out there and people don’t want him? Or are you just assuming he was coming out of the booth this year. Seems to me like if the guy said “I’m ready to coach” he’d have interviews with every available team. He may not be the greatest but he would energize fan bases and he does have a proven track record. Most would take him over most up and coming coaches.

9. Gruden has built the myth that is Gruden. He hasn’t got back into coaching cuz he knows he isn’t as good as the myth. He loves to hear his name mentioned but he knows Dungy built the team that he won a SB with. Gruden did nothing in Oakland. He’s a pretty-boy who knows he can’t begin to live up to the myth he has created over the years.

10. I would like to remind everyone that Gruden has one championship on a Dungy built team. Yes, he done a great job with the Raiders – but never won the big one. Came in, won with a Dungy Tampa team and after that, what did he do? Nothing. Most over-rated coaching prospect in recent memory. If anyone actually does pursue him and get him, they will get a bunch of washed up QBs on their roster and more losses than wins.

11. I can’t take it anymore!!!! We DON’T want you Gruden. We DON’T Billick. We DON’T want Cowher. We DON’T these fricken prima-donna has beens. We want an up and comer, a fresh candidate with a hunger for building his own program. We want Gus Bradley or Mike McCoy. We DON’T want who Jaws tells us we want!. Damn!

12. thejuddstir says:
    Jan 7, 2013 7:50 PM

——————–

Moreover, he only beat the Raiders because they were dumb enough to keep all the same terminology and strategy from when Gruden was coach. He has a fraud Super Bowl like Switzer.

13. If Jon Gruden won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy’s team, then Bill Callahan went to a Super Bowl with Gruden’s team. Can’t have it both ways, morons. And I’m not even a Gruden fan.

14. If it’s true, I’m a bit surprised that there’s so little interest in him. I know that, as a Bears fan, he would be high on my list of options (defensively, he’d likely keep some sort of 4-3 Tampa 2 type defense, and I like his offensive fit for the personnel).

15. This “Dungy’s team” talk is ridiculous. I guess Dungy won in Indy with Mora’s team then? All I know, as an Eagles fan, is that the Birds had Tampa’s number in the playoffs when Dungy was there. Then Gruden came in and stole our lunch money in the NFC Championship game. I wish Tampa was still “Dungy’s team” instead of Gruden’s team, because the Eagles would have gone on to win the Super Bowl that year.

16. Im pretty sure that theres some bad blood between Lurie and Gruden. Cant remember the situation that occured but Im thinking neither party is interested in the other.

17. thejuddstir says:Jan 7, 2013 7:50 PM

================================
    Who did he beat in that Super Bowl? A team that he built… so he coached one team to a Super Bowl victory over the team that he built into a Super Bowl team…

That’s not an accomplishment?

18. Gruden and Cowher could basically write their own ticket. How many jobs have been open since either has retired? Point being, they’re both retired for good regardless of if either is able to admit to himself or not.

19. Ignorant peeps saying he won with Dungy’s team and hasn’t done anything. He best the team he built in Oak fools! And that team won with Gannon at QB. That because Chucky built that team around his skill set. Pay attention before you pop off

20. Also (1) Gruden has spoken to Jaworski; (2) the Eagles haven’t reached out yet to Jaworski; and (3) Jaworski would be interested in the GM position with the Eagles

21. dirkanger23 says: Jan 7, 2013 7:50 PM

Eagles fans to Eagles management: make this happen. Now.
    ============================

This Eagles fan to Eagles management: Please make anything OTHER than this happen. Now.

22. This from the guy who linked Bill O’Brien with Penn State.

Why hasn’t Jaworski been mentioned as a possible Eagles HC? Seems as credible as the other jokers theyve apparently toyed with. And he’d have a much better media savviness than Mr Reid.

23. I wouldn’t hate them bringing in Gruden, but why is NO ONE talking about Alabama’s DC Kirby Smart?!

24. Translation, Gruden like many other talented or semi-talented coaches, are not interested in coaching for this org

25. Can we all just agree that Chucky is supposed to have a sour-puss, angry face & not have some kind of Paxil-induced happy-go-lucky-everything-is-roses smiley face?

On second thought….happy face Chucky might just be a little more freaky…..

26. thejuddstir says:
    Jan 7, 2013 7:50 PM

————————————–

Can’t believe this got 110 thumbs up. Shows how much people know. First off, Gruden built the Raiders team that faced the Bucs in the SB that year. Second, he accomplished with that Bucs team what Dungy never could. If not for the tuck rule game, he would’ve won at least one SB in Oakland. He’s a good coach.

27. “Eagles fans to Eagles management: make this happen. Now.”

********************

Yes Eagles management, do as this guy says, please

Signed NFC East opponents.

His best days are behind him

28. thejuddstir says:
    Jan 7, 2013 8:11 PM

As a Panthers fan who saw his whole career at TB, may I just say Amen and Amen.

29. Jon Gruden is at Monday Night Raw tonight in Tampa…They just showed him on tv and he was really excited…So it looks like he isn’t in Philly for a interview and instead watching Monday Night Raw at ring side.

30. While a Tony Dungy built team was a nice start I think it was the inside information on the Raider team that Gruden formally coached that did the trick.

31. Good thing that a year off from announcing hasn’t hindered his ability to overstate the obvious.

32. AlanSaysYo says:
    Jan 7, 2013 8:28 PM

————————-

The logic makes perfect sense. Now let me explain for you genius. Callahan took a team that Gruden couldn’t get over the hump to the Super Bowl. Gruden took a team over the hump that was filled with far more talent than Oakland by Dungy. Next you’ll use your infinite wisdom to tell us all how Barry Switzer truly earned his SB.

33. So, Jon, if you are so interested, why don’t you just send your cover letter and resume to the Eagles? Like every other normal person interested in a potential new job…

34. Jon Gruden would be a perfect coach for the Eagles but Lurie is too cheap to hire him.And by the way lots of head coaches in the NFL who had a second head coaching job in the NFL won a Super Bowl with their second team including ex Eagles coach Dick Vermiel with the Rams.

35. folkcrusader says:

Jan 7, 2013 7:49 PM

Coincidentally, Jaws would be available for a return to MNF.
    _______________________________

hahah classic. thanks, this comment was the best part of the article.

36. I love when people say Gruden won with “Dungy’s team”. That is a joke. How come Dungy never won with them then? How come 11 of the 22 starters on the Super Bowl team are guys that Gruden brought in (including basically the whole offense which Dungy never could get going). Get off Dungy’s trousers buddy.

37. I think we Eagles fans are going to be sitting around for a while, on the edge of our seats, until Lurie finally makes his pick. Relax and enjoy the headlines, because its not going to happen any time soon.

I have a feeling it will be either Arians are Bradley and not one of these hyped up coaches.

38. I’m sure teams are interested in him, but he never came out and says he was interested in them. I would love him to come in and coach a young QB like Foles and have the anger and stones to call out DeSean Jackson and these guys who are playing for themselves.

39. thejuddstir says:
    Jan 7, 2013 7:50 PM

Whatever. I don’t recall Dungy ever winning anything with the team Dungy built. He needed Peyton (making fox/elway look good) Manning for that.

40. thejuddstir says:
    Jan 7, 2013 7:50 PM

And oh by the way, Dungy wasn’t the GM.

41. thejuddstir says:Jan 7, 2013 7:50 PM

Why do some people insist Dungy built that team? I think Gruden coached them better in the end. Dungy had Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrisson, Reggie Wayne on one side, and Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, and Mathis on the other, yet he’s only won one superbowl with them!

42. MNF fans to Eagles management: Make this happen. Now please.

Seriously…. I don’t want to hear Gruden on MNF anymore with his “I like this guy” or “let me tell you about ____…. he’s a _____. That’s why I call him the _____”

43. thejuddstir says: Jan 7, 2013 7:50 PM

——————————————

A team Dungy built, but couldn’t win with.

Lots of coaches would like to have people say “other than winning a Super Bowl, he’s accomplished nothing.”

44. Lovi won 10 games. That would have put The Eagles in the playoffs. Why are we not looking at Lovi? He has learned about Off. Coord. and is ready for the Birds

45. Great, only he’s not going to be working with Tony Dungy’s team this time. He’ll be working with Andy Reid’s (alleged) team.