McGahee eligible to practice tomorrow, hopes to return

Willis McGahee AP

Broncos running back Willis McGahee is eligible to begin practicing tomorrow. But he was honest about his own condition, saying he’s not ready to play yet.

No, I couldn’t go,” he said Monday, via the Associated Press.

After being placed on injured reserve/designated for return on Nov. 18 with an MCL injury, McGahee isn’t eligible to return until the Jan. 20 AFC Championship Game anyway, and he said that’s still a possibility.

“This isn’t my first rodeo for a knee,” McGahee said. “I’ve been through a lot worse.”

While Knowshon Moreno has had flashes in his absence, he hasn’t run the way McGahee did earlier this year.

McGahee finished as the team leader with 731 rushing yards, averaging 4.4 yards per carry. Moreno has 525 yards in six starts, at 3.8 per attempt.

And while McGahee is eager to get back, the fact that Moreno is in his spot now doesn’t bother him after his first four cracks at the playoffs fell short of the title game.

“We’re winning,” he said. “Three more games to the Super Bowl, as long as we keep winning. My selfish days are over with. It’s time to get a ring.”

He might get one anyway, but if he can come back at anything resembling his previous form, the chances go way up.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “McGahee eligible to practice tomorrow, hopes to return”
  1. bospat says: Jan 7, 2013 5:33 PM

Perfect, just in time for a few fumbles! oh, that’s right Peyton will choke this wknd anyway!

2. nunezmc says: Jan 7, 2013 6:00 PM

As a Broncos fan, I’m very pleased with the results Knowshon has gotten us this year, but I still have to think that McGahee has the inside track on the number one spot next year. Regardless, we are seeing depth at the position that has been missing for nearly a decade.

3. jrosenbaum says: Jan 7, 2013 6:20 PM

As I’ve posted many times, I’m a huge McGahee fan and I love the way he’s revamped his career with the Broncos. But even more, I’ve loved his attitude. The fact that he is not whining about potentially losing his job to Moreno just says it all.

4. steelernationisthepinnacleofexistenceyouarenothing says: Jan 7, 2013 6:40 PM

The Broncos should seriously consider resting their starters this Saturday.

5. vicnocal says: Jan 7, 2013 6:44 PM

McGahee is an absolute warrior.

6. azwildcats96 says: Jan 7, 2013 6:53 PM

steelernationisthepinnacleofexistenceyouarenothing says: Jan 7, 2013 6:40 PM

The Broncos should seriously consider resting their starters this Saturday.
    ————————————————————————-
    I see what you did there. I chuckled. THE ROAD TO THE SUPER BOWL IS ORANGE AND BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. reed20fence says: Jan 7, 2013 7:17 PM

This weekend is a family affair for Willis with Ray and B-more comin to town.

Willis has a special place in the heart of Raven Nation.

Much love!

8. richwizl says: Jan 7, 2013 7:49 PM

The Ravens are coming and they’re pissed!

9. jasonculhane says: Jan 8, 2013 10:13 AM

I’d rather go with Moreno right now and the 3.8 a carry vs Willis and his fumble per game average.

I love Willis during regular season but when the Broncos played the Patriots, it was like a playoff atmosphere and he dropped a sure 4th and 1 and fumbled in the 4th quarter as the Broncos were on the firge of scoring. Broncos probably tie that game if it wasn’t for Willis that day. Since then he fumbles atleast once a game it seems.

Moreno isn’t a better runner, but how do you know he isn’t today? All that being said, I love Mcgahee and wish him the best