Reggie Wayne found Ray Lewis’ postgame dance “disrespectful”

Wild Card Playoffs - Indianapolis Colts v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

The Ravens closed out their victory over the Colts in their Wild Card game with a kneeldown and one last home-field rendition of Ray Lewis‘ “squirrel” dance.

It came at the end of a day devoted to Lewis, who announced he’d be retiring after the season last week to set up an emotional final game at M&T Bank Stadium. There were video tributes, a visit from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and a pregame version of the dance that was clearly emotional for all involved. Then the Ravens put Lewis on the field with the victory formation to set up his final dance and that didn’t sit right with Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne.

“I saw it as disrespectful,” Wayne said, via Jake Query of WNDE. “They’d already had a tribute every quarter.”

Impressions of how disrespectful the dance was will certainly differ, but there’s doubt that it was a tough day for Wayne and the Colts. They were beaten rather handily by the Ravens while playing what amounted to a supporting role in a celebration of Lewis’ career with the Ravens. The final dance was an exclamation point on that and, to Wayne, a punctuation mark too far.

Permalink 131 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
131 Responses to “Reggie Wayne found Ray Lewis’ postgame dance “disrespectful””
  1. ravenator says: Jan 8, 2013 10:40 AM

Pretty dissapointed in you Wayne. As a player who went to the U, I figured you the last person to say something like this. Ray Lewis earned that moment for the 17 fantastic years he’s given the Baltimore fans.

2. bluejays20091 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:40 AM

the dance was awesome

3. joetoronto says: Jan 8, 2013 10:41 AM

It was obviously nothing personal, Reggie.

Geez.

4. classyjacklambert says: Jan 8, 2013 10:42 AM

This is the second article today about a player on a losing team feeling like he was disrespected. You know what would solve that? Not losing.

5. justwinsomeday says: Jan 8, 2013 10:42 AM

I was there (not a Ravens fan, just a football fan) and the only thing I saw as disrespectful to the game was Indy’s inability to catch a pass.

Personally, I thought it was pretty cool and my Raven buddies loved it. Heck we saw people in the stands in tears.

I do find it interesting that Reggie didn’t just keep quiet as opposed to complaining about fellow ‘U’ alum.

6. Tim_Gilmour says: Jan 8, 2013 10:43 AM

That’s the worst squirrel I’ve ever seen.

7. blkmanwtan says: Jan 8, 2013 10:44 AM

Reggie Wayne is no different from the people who complains about Cam Newton.

8. karla36 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:44 AM

I heard some commenators around here (Pittsburgh) saying the same thing…I say it’s sour grapes. Anyone know what time the Steelers play this weekend—LOL!!

9. ajb3313 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:45 AM

It’s been really interesting reading outside perspectives of Ray Lewis’ career and farewell tour, which Reggie Wayne would more or less qualify as.

I’m not a Ravens fan, but as a Balti-moron, I think outsiders have a hard time “getting” what Ray Lewis — both production and personality-wise — mean to the city and to the fans of the team. He’s the third face on Baltimore’s Mount Rushmore alongside Ripken and Unitas.

Maybe it’s because I’ve heard teammates rave about playing with (and perhaps more importantly, for) the guy since I was 12-years-old. I know there was the legal thing and he’s gotten a lot of attention for his theatrics, but I just feel like ending the game the way they did was the only way to do it. It wasn’t a show of disrespect to the opponent, but rather a show of respect to the home fans. I do think this is one case where there are well-defined “insider” and “outsider” opinions (that don’t really exist for, say, Peyton Manning).

10. patfic15 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:46 AM

I never liked Lewis so points go to Reggie.

11. parasonic says: Jan 8, 2013 10:46 AM

Maybe if it was a rookie or a no name or even a random act of expression…but Ray Lewis is a highly accredited player who played for one team his whole career. It was his last game at home for fans that love him (yea yea…I get it, “murderer” blah blah) but it’s game. you lost. you’ve won before. get over it Reggie.

12. ducksouped says: Jan 8, 2013 10:46 AM

Shut up Reggie. You got beat, deal with it.

13. u2krazie says: Jan 8, 2013 10:46 AM

Would you want him to do 2 legit 2 quit?
    Signed, PSY

14. swortybounce says: Jan 8, 2013 10:47 AM

Yeah seriously Reggie. To you it was another playoff game to Ray, the Ravens and that city it was a final send off. Last chance to dance.

I’m sure you will have more pressing matters like whether or not to keep the umbrella in your drink will you lay out on the beach of some exclusive private resort.

15. mavajo says: Jan 8, 2013 10:47 AM

Oh come on, Reggie. It’s the end of a 17 year career for arguably the greatest MLB to ever play. At home. In the playoffs. After a win. And Lewis is known for being an emotional dude. And it’s his signature dance.

I thought it was a great ending.

And I’m not a Ravens’ fan. Sour grapes from Wayne, IMO.

16. teamobijuan says: Jan 8, 2013 10:47 AM

Dancing in football puts it that much closer to professional wrestling.

17. El Capitan says: Jan 8, 2013 10:47 AM

only person dancing this coming saturday will be a certain Von Miller

18. xuthundercats says: Jan 8, 2013 10:47 AM

I’m a Colts fan. If you didn’t want to see it you should have won the game.

19. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 8, 2013 10:47 AM

Win the game and he doesn’t get his victory dance, Reggie. You could have stopped it but you failed. Winners celebrate, losers whine.

20. seattlerogueburner says: Jan 8, 2013 10:48 AM

Ray Lewis and the city of Baltimore deserved one last dance.

21. johnnyb1976 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:48 AM

I don’t blame Reggie for being upset about it. It’s just a reflection on how Lewis and that whole franchise and fan base is. Disrespectful, over rated, and classless.

22. ncsteeler83 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:49 AM

Classless. If another team did that to the Ratbirds, Harbaugh would have gone nuts! He would have whined and complained at his post game news conference.

Go Broncos!

23. tv426 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:50 AM

Grown men shouldn’t be dancing except in a night club – and certainly not with a football uniform on. It looks absurd!

24. realpro14 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:50 AM

Reggie should be happy his other U alumni named Ed reed showed him favor all game and didnt knock his head off the opportunities he had…besides the G.O.A.T. can damn well do as he please….

25. nfldtw says: Jan 8, 2013 10:50 AM

One of the greatest linebackers of all time, getting one last dance on his farewell home game. Boo Freaking Hoo. I was surprised that was all that happened I thought they were going to snap the ball to him!!

26. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jan 8, 2013 10:51 AM

Looks like we have an allegation of a ‘cane on ‘cane crime.

27. pickney1 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:51 AM

Surely all of things are deemed disrespectful after a tough loss in the playoffs, however I wonder if he would have the same perspective if he playing on the Ravens.

At the end of the day at least he didn’t bite his tongue and hold his opinion in regarding Ray Lewis celebration at the end of the game.

28. checkitd0wn says: Jan 8, 2013 10:52 AM

I totally agree with Reggie. Ray Lewis is an arrogant me first guy. Even going back to his plea deal. He ratted on his friends to save his own butt. Now he draws all the attention to himself and away from his team. He’s also supposedly a man of God. Give me a break. If you buy this guys garbage I have some beach front property in Alaska I’d like to sell you. Man people can be so stupid sometimes.

29. alildusty says: Jan 8, 2013 10:52 AM

No disrespect IMO. That’s likely the LAST and FINAL snap he’ll ever be active and on the field for at M&T Bank Stadium. If that was the colts home field then I’d understand.

Hell they should have let him go under center for the final snap and kneel and follow it up with the dance!!

30. tjh9985 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:53 AM

Completely agree.

31. jcg2822 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:53 AM

It was Ray’s last home game so he did 1 last dance how is that disrespectful ? I think Reggie Wayne is just being a sore loser.

32. bobbybcc says: Jan 8, 2013 10:54 AM

loser’s hate

33. skittlesareyum says: Jan 8, 2013 10:54 AM

Look at all the Colts fans thumbing down every comment. If a legendary player doing his signature dance at the end of his last home game makes you feel disrespected, well, I’m afraid no one gives a hoot. Except Colts fans I guess. By the way, I’m not a Ravens fan.

34. dabearsscott says: Jan 8, 2013 10:54 AM

Last dance for Ray next weekend !!!

35. peytonwantsaflag says: Jan 8, 2013 10:55 AM

So is it disrespectful or too many tributes? You got two different thoughts going on there Reggie.

Either way sounds like it boils down to sour grapes.

36. trojanwarrior007 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:55 AM

Yeah I thought so but then again with Brees celebrating every personal accomplishment nothing surprises me with the NFL.

37. ravensruleandharbaughisgod says: Jan 8, 2013 10:56 AM

I am shocked that any player, or coach for that matter, would take umbrage over Ray’s trademark dance. Especially a fellow ‘Caine. There is got to be something more to Wayne’s kiniptian fit!

38. bradwins says: Jan 8, 2013 10:57 AM

All of this Ray Lewis stuff is overdone. The guy was a pretty good player, but the cult of personality that has arisen as a result of his histrionics is embarrassing. If I were on the Ravens I would be looking forward to next year and not having to be subjected to all of the preachy, “inspirational” nonsense. I wish the guy would just go away, but ESPN has decided that nobody should ever escape this guy. I hope they put him and Stu Scott on the same show so it will be easier to avoid them both.

39. djstat says: Jan 8, 2013 10:58 AM

Grow Up Reggie and get over it. He was respecting the 71,000 fans who paid to be there. Next year win your division so you can play at home

40. FoozieGrooler says: Jan 8, 2013 10:58 AM

“I’m really going to miss Ray Lewis’ pre-game dance..”

…said no one ever.

41. richcranium2112 says: Jan 8, 2013 10:59 AM

Really?? After seventeen years, a last home-field memory? At least the NFL didn’t flag him.

Reggie if it was that ‘disrespectful’ make sure you don’t celebrate your career when its over. You too have enjoyed great success.

42. thebigtim2012 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:02 AM

Winning cures all

43. ampats says: Jan 8, 2013 11:02 AM

As a Patriots fan I saw nothing disrespectful about Ray’s dance. I think it was actually cool he could do one more dance on the last snap for the fans. He is an icon in this league and did nothing to show the other team up.

Hopefully the ride will continue and we can see Ray Lewis play his final game in Foxborough next Sunday.

44. mvp43 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:03 AM

If you don’t like it Reggie, get your own dance.

45. nfloracle says: Jan 8, 2013 11:03 AM

Hey, blkmanwtan, I know Ray Lewis, and Cam Newton is no Ray Lewis.

Lewis has character and is ALL about TEAM.

Cam has no character and is ALL about CAM.

46. lucasjaypauley says: Jan 8, 2013 11:03 AM

Disrespectful might be the wrong word.

I did however think it was unnecessary.

I respect the guy but save the dance for the pregame introductions.

Doing the dance on the field with the clock winding down kind of makes the NFL feel more like pro wrestling.

Ravens fans loved it and I can see why they enjoyed it.

Just a little clownish for my taste.

47. pats1977 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:03 AM

Damn, some people need to chill out! Stop taking things so personal. The guy is retiring after 17 years in the league. That was just he’s way of saying good bye to the Ravens’ fans. Had the Ravens lost the game, then it would have been perhaps inappropriate for him to do that.

48. wikidpissah says: Jan 8, 2013 11:03 AM

I’ve never liked the dance, but there was nothing disrespectful toward the Colts. Lewis was merely playing to, and acknowledging the fans.

Both Lewis and the fans deserved the moment.

49. lovefootball4life says: Jan 8, 2013 11:04 AM

It wasn’t taunting, it wasn’t meant for the Colts and specifically Wayne, in fact it wasn’t even about winning. It was celebrating a 17 year career as respected player and team leader. That dance was only for the team and the fans. Watching the guys run up to him and the cheers from the fans tells you why he did it.

50. salutethis says: Jan 8, 2013 11:05 AM

Who cares? I’m sure the guy was tired of seeing the homage to Ray and getting drummed out of the playoffs didn’t help the guy feel better. But what did you expect? Those people worship Ray. Let him go out with a bang. Just please don’t have Ray pull a Farve…

51. citizenstrange says: Jan 8, 2013 11:08 AM

He won’t be dancing after the game next week.

52. sandeeowen says: Jan 8, 2013 11:11 AM

Wayne is wrong. It was Lewis’ well deserved day.

53. meandjuliojonesdownbytheschoolyard says: Jan 8, 2013 11:13 AM

Never liked Lewis. That “emotion” and yapping he does is only cool if he’s on your team. This is football, not Glee, stop with the prancing around and talking about how good you are and how much god’s plan included you winning a football game z

54. bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 8, 2013 11:17 AM

Shut up Wayne he deserves this.

55. thebrownswillalwaysloose says: Jan 8, 2013 11:17 AM

I could see that MAYBE if they were playing in Indy, but not on Rays home field. Sour grapes from a losing player. Quit crying Reggie!

56. seabronco says: Jan 8, 2013 11:19 AM

Win next time crybaby

57. richiebburg says: Jan 8, 2013 11:23 AM

He wont be dancing this Sunday.

58. dannymac17 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:23 AM

Not a Ravens fan, but i think that is one of the most awesome dances ever.

lol.

59. mastermind2514 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:24 AM

The chant may or may not have been disrespectful however, Ravens fans chanting curse words towards the end of the game was extremely disrespectful.

60. mastermind2514 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:24 AM

That dance**

61. azarkhan says: Jan 8, 2013 11:25 AM

Ray Lewis dancing isn’t disrespectful–it’s plain stupid.

62. ghosts go boo says: Jan 8, 2013 11:25 AM

Of course Lewis’ dance is disrespectful, anytime he did/does it. I can’t imagine Chuck Bednarik or Dick Butkus dancing before a game or after making a play. But, that’s today’s NFL. It’s about personalities and self-promotion rather than teamwork, sportsmanship and integrity.

63. 8to80texansblog says: Jan 8, 2013 11:30 AM

I really like Reggie Wayne even as a Texans fan…. but he WAY off base on this.

64. bradshawlives says: Jan 8, 2013 11:33 AM

Not a Ravens hater, but man I’m sick of that stupid dance. I’d suggest he reserve the dance for the Super Bowl intro but once again, he ain’t going.

65. rushmatic says: Jan 8, 2013 11:35 AM

I don’t think it was a sleight on the Dolts (who were inept). I do think it was a very selfish, please-look-at-me moment, which is annoying.

66. zoxitic says: Jan 8, 2013 11:40 AM

The dance was not a celebration of the game. It was a celebration of a career.

It was awesome and I am not even a fan of the Ravens.

67. klownboy says: Jan 8, 2013 11:42 AM

Hey Reggie Wayne, there is a bright side to all of this. Ray Lewis will go out a loser after his Ravens get their backsides kicked in Denver next week.

68. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 8, 2013 11:44 AM

69. gus1779 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:45 AM

Wait, wait, wait, people are saying that he’s a 17 yr veteran and one of the greatest and toughest MLBs ever and that somehow gives more justification in dancing on the field. If anything, it gives him less. MLB is the last position on the field in which one should be dancing. Does anyone want to see Dick Butkus doing Gangnam style? Nope…although that would go viral.

70. gcclark98 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:45 AM

is this the only veteran who has ever retired….I don’t remember other veterans getting the same treatment when they call it quits…rg3 gonna get to line up as safety next year? lol

71. guitarkevin says: Jan 8, 2013 11:47 AM

Wayne, you’re a crybaby loser. And your giving football players a bad name by looking like a pansy.

72. yourownfau1t says: Jan 8, 2013 11:50 AM

those of you so called football fans that think ray lewis last dance at home was disrespectful should learn some damn respect that man play 17 years with one team he started there and end his career there name one other player to do that in this life time you cant oh yeah i even seen steelers fan thank ray for the memorys and i been a ravens fan since day one sorry about your damn luck

73. wallacejay says: Jan 8, 2013 11:50 AM

Reggie Wayne just fell down again.

74. 3yardsndust says: Jan 8, 2013 11:53 AM

Tired of all the dancing and celebrating in football and that goes double for guys like Santana Moss who make a big fuss over catching a ball for a first down. If you did it more often, I suspect you’d be a little cooler about the fact that you simply did your job. Too much me, me, me with these guys.

75. nbaraie says: Jan 8, 2013 11:55 AM

I would have preferred the focus to be on Pagano’s return to Baltimore.

76. gb302 says: Jan 8, 2013 11:58 AM

Doesn’t Alaska have a ton of beachfront property?

77. steelersownyou says: Jan 8, 2013 12:02 PM

He’s won 1 super bowl in his 17 years in the league…if that’s the case jack Lambert should of been dancing before and after games for an hour straight on the field.. Jack Lambert said “call me ray when you get 4 Lombardi’s”

78. seattlecoug says: Jan 8, 2013 12:03 PM

It was his last home game ever – the guy is a legend. Let him have one last dance. Geezus, these Colt tools are just like Redskin idiots. Maybe the 2 teams should get together and talk about their feelings (while they watch the playoffs that they ain’t in)

79. kwalk4780 says: Jan 8, 2013 12:03 PM

All I have to say is I hope Ray does not mind when Von Miller does the same dance after his 3rd sack of Flacco on Saturday.

80. wrestlecraprd says: Jan 8, 2013 12:04 PM

He also talked about how happy he was for Ed Reed on that show, and how they joked about Ed thanking him for finally letting the Ravens win in the playoffs. And Wayne talked about how he’d be cheering for the Ravens in the playoffs the rest of the way. I guess “Reggie Wayne happy for Ed Reed, Ravens” isn’t as good a headline.

81. ras1tafari says: Jan 8, 2013 12:04 PM

Maybe Reggie Wayne needs to develop his own “one and done in the playoffs” dance so he can whip it out at the end of these games.

Him and Peyton – 7 times in 11 years, out in the first game. Pathetic.

82. bear0402 says: Jan 8, 2013 12:05 PM

Last time I checked, that was the Ravens house, not the Colts. They can do what they damn well please.

83. azarkhan says: Jan 8, 2013 12:14 PM

dowhatifeellike says: Disrespectful is when a team packs up and skips town under cover of night without so much as a “Thanks, see you later.”

You mean like the Browns/Ravens?

84. pastabelly says: Jan 8, 2013 12:20 PM

Reggie Wayne has always been a class act and respectful of his opponents and the game. As a Patriots fan, I feared him and now actually respect him and like him. Of course, he’s right in what he says. But Ray Lewis sees himself as a cartoon character and it’s just Ray being Ray. It’s also probably Ray’s last victory in the NFL and Lewis probably knows that.

85. johnnyballsack says: Jan 8, 2013 12:23 PM

I don’t think that Ray Lewis was trying to be disrespectful…but it did show very little class. To put Lewis out on the field with the offense just to do his dance is typical Brothers Harbaugh.

Celebrating every TD is bad enough, now players celebrate every time they do what they are paid for. First down signaling, ball spinning after every catch, sack celebrations, choreographed dances. It is all bush league and done to draw attention to themselves, not the team. I am a huge NYG fan and I want to puke every time Victor Cruz does his salsa dance.

Barry Sanders was asked why he doesn’t spike the ball after TDs. He said “I expect to get there often, it is not that big of a deal”. Not one spike in his Hall Of Fame career. That my friends is class.

86. mostlombardisintheleague says: Jan 8, 2013 12:24 PM

Ray won’t be dancing next Sunday in Denver, Peyton Manning will be two-stepping up and down Ray’s back.

87. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jan 8, 2013 12:27 PM

No Reggie, its disrespectful and classless to whine about how a player chooses to celebrate the end of his 17 year career….in his HOME stadium…after a playoff victory. Don’t like it? Maybe your team should have played worth a crap and won….it would have given ray less to celebrate. It’s not like lewis did his dance in Indy at the 50 yard line. Get over it, reggie….the dance had nothing to do with you or your team. Try not to choke on those sour grapes while you watch the post season from your couch.

88. pillowporkers says: Jan 8, 2013 12:30 PM

Hey Reggie:

Be better.

89. johnnyballsack says: Jan 8, 2013 12:32 PM

yourownfau1t says:
    Jan 8, 2013 11:50 AM
    ———————————————–
    Off the top of my head Darrell Green played all 20 of his seasons with the Redskins, and Jackie Slater did the same with the Rams.

90. melikefootball says: Jan 8, 2013 12:34 PM

So does everyone else living outside the 125 mile ring around Baltimore.

91. johnnyballsack says: Jan 8, 2013 12:36 PM

…and Jason Hanson has played 21 years for only the Lions.

92. mountaingirl39 says: Jan 8, 2013 12:41 PM

I was at the game and it was awesome. This day was about Ray Lewis, the Ravens and their fans. It was also about Chuck Pagano, with many of the Ravens players were going over to him before, during and after the game. As for disrespecting the Colts, I guess they didn’t feel that way during the 2009 Ravens/Indy game when they blasted music when one of our players was down and injured. Reggie, it wasn’t about you, your organization or your fans. Grow a pair and get overyourself.

93. tdrizzle74 says: Jan 8, 2013 12:49 PM

Who wants to make a bet that he does his little dance at his ring of fame induction? I mean, seriously isn’t the pre-game intro, the quarterly celebrations etc.etc. etc. enough?

I get it, its his trademark, but come on!

94. siggtacular says: Jan 8, 2013 12:55 PM

I now have no respect for Reggie Wayne, he is talking about a legend who literally built the Baltimore Ravens franchise. Keep crying Wayne, your time is coming soon hopefully Ray Lewis will speak out against you in complete disrespect.

95. bluenose1965 says: Jan 8, 2013 12:55 PM

Ray Lewis and his pre-game dancing got old ages ago (see Drew Brees and his pre-game huddle). Fine, it was his last home game, but it sounds like they spent the whole day praising him. I didn’t see the need for a further exhibition, during game-time no less.

The fact Wayne is also a “U” guy, probably tells you many other players thought the same, but chose not to comment, based on Lewis’ standing in the league.

Lewis is a respected pro, so gets leeway, however if it was one of those self promoters like Gronkowski or T.O. hamming it up, people would be all over them.

96. annes22 says: Jan 8, 2013 12:59 PM

Too bad you didn’t like it Reggie. You lost the game so it’s just sour grapes. After 17 years in the league, in a game in his home stadium, he can do what he wants. Keep dancing Ray and I’m not a Ravens fan, but I liked it.

97. thewizardofbs says: Jan 8, 2013 1:03 PM

He’s Ray Lewis, the greatest line backer ever to play the game. After 17 seasons he lead his team in tackles in that game. If he wants to do a dance, who would dare stop him?

Thank, Ray, for all the great memories you gave us! We will never forget you!

A Dolphin Fan

98. rockthered1286 says: Jan 8, 2013 1:05 PM

People outside of Baltimore just don’t grasp what Ray has meant this city. After going without a professional football team for so long, we finally get one and our second pick ends up being the greatest MLB of all time. Rays been here since day one. He’s the pulse of this city. The heart and soul. And those who say he dances too much and it’s a me-first mentality? Go to a game in Baltimore. Rays dance is what gets the crowd fired up. Just like his pre-game speeches (which EVERY team does) get the team fired up. It’s a motivational tactic. And having the best home record in the last 5 years? I’d say it works. Also worth noting- Ravens alternate announcing O and D each home game and he never does it on the road, therefore Ray only does his dance 4 times a year. Because of injuries only 3 this year including last week.

99. devildog911 says: Jan 8, 2013 1:06 PM

This is another player being misquoted by these lame reporters just to write something about.

100. thetooloftools says: Jan 8, 2013 1:08 PM

Hey Reggie, the best way to keep him from dancing is to beat the Ravens. Stop being a crybaby.

101. belgaron says: Jan 8, 2013 1:09 PM

Someone please loan Reggie a hankie.

102. 5against1 says: Jan 8, 2013 1:10 PM

If you actually listen to the 1:16 sound clip, it’s a little different than what is presented in this article. Do yourself a favor and listen to that and then see what your opinion is. I was initially disappointed in Reggie, but after listening, you can see that it was over-dramatized here a bit.

103. jwil007 says: Jan 8, 2013 1:11 PM

Yo Wayne, I can send you some Kleenex if you need it…. LOL

104. belgaron says: Jan 8, 2013 1:13 PM

As opposed to the respect that Indianapolis has shown the rest of the league with its infamous “Suck for Luck” campaign and its subsequent attempt to get “credit” for most improved in all categories. =P

105. ppdoc13 says: Jan 8, 2013 1:14 PM

Get over it Reggie. It had nothing to do with disrespecting your team and everything to do with the relationship between ray who played every snap of nth is 17 years in a ravens uni and his fan base who for the most part adore him. It was his way of saying thanks and was not at all disrespectful. If you saw disrespect, it is because it is in your own heart. It’s called projection.

106. dowhatifeellike says: Jan 8, 2013 1:18 PM

Jan 8, 2013 12:14 PM

You mean like the Browns/Ravens?

Not even remotely the same. The Browns ownership announced the move, Cleveland was allowed to retain team name, colors, history, etc. and only had to wait 2 years to get their crappy team back.

The Colts literally snuck out of town. The fact that they count Johnny Unitas as one of their former players is disgusting.

107. southpaw2k says: Jan 8, 2013 1:18 PM

checkitd0wn says:
    Jan 8, 2013 10:52 AM

————————————————–

Ray Lewis is a “me first” guy? How old are you exactly? 12? I would normally respond with about a dozen different statements to prove such an ignorant idea wrong, but I don’t want to take up too much space on here.

All I will say is watch Ray Lewis A Football Life on You Tube, and then try telling me with a straight face if he’s a “me first” guy.

And by the way, Alaska is surrounded by water on three sides, so there’s quite a bit of property that could be sold. How much is your asking price?

108. wvuraven says: Jan 8, 2013 1:22 PM

No one mentions the only reason ravens had time to put him in the game was bc coach chuck called a “disrespectful” timeout on 2nd down for no purpose other then extending the inevitable. eat it reggie. And to the guy saying ray ratted on his friends durring his plea deal…he actually was convicted of disruption of justice bc he was trying to protect his friends….sour grapes from every direction sheash

109. wvuraven says: Jan 8, 2013 1:25 PM

obstruction of justice*

110. mikewhorio says: Jan 8, 2013 1:37 PM

Disrespectful? No. Lame? Absolutely. How big is Ray Lewis’ ego that he needed to be on the field on OFFENSE. Even if it was the coach’s idea, any level-headed player would have declined.

111. dayumyou says: Jan 8, 2013 2:02 PM

no more rings 4 Ray Ray….so all he can do is dance

112. iminra6 says: Jan 8, 2013 2:37 PM

comeon Reggie,you guys both played at the U just chill it Ray’s home game as a raven, he’s not lighting fires our caning small children. geez

113. randallflagg52 says: Jan 8, 2013 3:02 PM

Ray Lewis is a living legend. Anytime a player like that goes out, he deserves to be celebrated. Especially at his home stadium.

Also don’t forget that Ray Lewis has been with the Ravens franchise since day 1, thru every single up and down Ray Lewis has been there. No other player in today’s NFL can claim that.

114. lovefootball4life says: Jan 8, 2013 3:11 PM

steelersownyou says: Jan 8, 2013 12:02 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lombardi’s are a team honor, not individual. So if you want to compare individual honors Ray had 4 more pro bowl selections, more all-pro selections, more NFL player of the year, more DPOY, and NFL records.

Truth is Lambert and Lewis played different times. Lewis’ impact is measured in more meaningful ways than even statistics measure.

Obviously you are a Steeler fan. Just watch football and leave us fans with teams still in the mix to enjoy our ride.

115. thewizardofbs says: Jan 8, 2013 3:24 PM

———————————————–
    checkitd0wn says:
    Jan 8, 2013 10:52 AM
    ________________________________

Could I see you say that to his face? I didn’t think so.

By the way, who would want beach front property in Alaska, except Sarah Palin?

116. andylucksneck says: Jan 8, 2013 3:53 PM

So happy luck lost and ray will never do that dumb dance again.

117. ivyleaf98 says: Jan 8, 2013 4:14 PM

The Final Dance was for the fans, Waybe was there, fans were chanting for him to come back on the field. Ray turned to the crowd and gave us one last dance. He didnt turn to the COLTS, or Wayne. The fans LOVED it, and that stadium rocked. The Last dance was his last game at M&T Bank Stadium, so it was very fitting to us fans. Wayne has done many celebrations at M&T bank when the Colts won or he caught touch downs. Grow up Wayne!!

118. raideralex99 says: Jan 8, 2013 4:43 PM

As a football fan is was GREAT to see … a legend playing his last game for the home town crowd. It’s sad that anyone could say anything negative about it but what is worst is someone actually writing about someone saying something negative.

119. johnnyballsack says: Jan 8, 2013 6:56 PM

randallflagg52 says:
    Jan 8, 2013 3:02 PM

————————————————–
    Actually one other player can…Phil Dawson for the Cleveland Browns. Apparently Ravens fans are not very good at fact checking.

120. dznet56 says: Jan 8, 2013 7:12 PM

I say why don’t these guys act like the professionals they are supposed to be. Okay, you made a big play, maybe even in a big game, now go back to the huddle and get ready for the next play instead of dancing around like you’ve never done it before. Look at some of the greats from the 70s Steelers and 80s 49ers. Make a play and get back to business. and no it’s now sour grapes. It’s gotten so bad (including it in a retirement segment, really?) I can’t watched more than five minutes of a game, including the steelers, before changing the channel (including last two steelers superbowls) because of the lack of class. Their last class act was Jerome. Thankfully, the NHL signed their new CBA.

121. johnnyballsack says: Jan 8, 2013 7:16 PM

Ray Lewis is clearly one of the best linebackers ever, but to call him the best would be up for debate. Ever heard of a guy named Lawrence Taylor?

All Pro First Team- LT 9 vs. Lewis 7.
    Defensive MVP- LT 3 vs Lewis 2.
    NFL MVP- LT 1 vs Lewis 0.
    Sacks- LT 132.5 vs Lewis 41.5.

LT is one of only two players ever named NFL MVP (Alan Page being the other). He had 91 more sacks in 5 fewer seasons played.

122. twtwigg says: Jan 8, 2013 7:38 PM

Under any other circumstance I may agree. But that dance wasn’t about Ray Lewis and it wasn’t about the Colts and it certainly wasn’t about Reggie Wayne. That dance was about the city of Baltimore and all the fans love Ray Lewis.

123. randallflagg52 says: Jan 8, 2013 7:52 PM

ohnnyballsack says:
    Jan 8, 2013 6:56 PM
    randallflagg52 says:
    Jan 8, 2013 3:02 PM

————————————————–

===================================

So Phil Dawson has been on the Browns roster since 1946?

124. reed20fence says: Jan 8, 2013 8:06 PM

Ray answered. End of story.

125. kaieye says: Jan 8, 2013 8:46 PM

Ummmmm did you not hear on TV all of the fans chanting “we want Ray” during the last drive? It broke out 3 different times.

As many commenters have said, the fans called and Ray answered, just like he has over his Hall of Fame 17-year career time and time again.

I was there, everyone in the stadium was getting emotional. There hasn’t been a player as iconic as Ray for his passion, personality and, yeah, theatrics also. But you all need to understand that the reason the Ravens have been so successful over the last 17 years (check the records, since 1996 the Ravens are 94-41-1, good for the 4th best record in the league over that span) is because of Rays leadership in the locker room and on the field. He’s made that defense play with passion and fire, and one of my first football memories is seeing Rays eyes through his facemask on 3rd down on the big screen and the crowd going nuts.

The dance, the pregame speech and everything else Ray does will never be duplicated, and that was our last time to see it.

126. kyhul09 says: Jan 8, 2013 9:40 PM

The part that bothers me the most is that instead of focusing on what coaches and GM moves are going on or what teams are still playing, people focus on a disagreement of some actions. You can tell us what Reggie thought about the dance but it doesn’t impact the game of football. I’m sure Reggie has a lot of respect for ray Lewis but its like when T.O ran to the middle of the Dallas field to celebrate. It’s disrespectful to celebrate. Players need to act like they been there.

127. johnnyballsack says: Jan 8, 2013 10:37 PM

…the only reason your Ravens are not the Browns is because they lost a lawsuit. Geez- I wonder why the Browns owner (Modell) also owned the Ravens the following year.

128. reed20fence says: Jan 8, 2013 11:40 PM

Ray is the face of a franchise that restored football to Baltimore after it was stolen away by a bitter drunkard (may he rest in peace).

So it’s only a little bit ironic that a player from Indy is calling the celebration of legacy in Baltimore ”disrespectful.”

Frankly Mr. Wayne’s appauling ignorance of history is tge only thing I find disrespectful.

The curse of 1983 has revisited on the house of Irsay. Now it’s time to account for your deeds John Elway.

129. salutethis says: Jan 9, 2013 12:55 AM

Um no. I’m pretty sure you don’t get to rely on a curse after your city took the team from Cleveland to replace the Baltimore colts. Since this team is really the original Cleveland browns, do you really want to try to go there with John Elway? Go ahead, he never succeeded att the expense of a art model team….

130. johnnyballsack says: Jan 9, 2013 4:41 AM

Ravens = Browns like it or not. You are not an original franchise any more than the Tennessee Titans were never the Houston Oilers, the Arizona Cardinals were never the St. Louis Cardinals or the St Louis Rams were never the LA Rams, etc…

Same Owner.
    Same strength coach.
    Same special teams coach.
    33 of the same players.
    If it quacks like a duck….

131. ravensdominate says: Jan 9, 2013 7:56 AM

This was just about saying goodbye to the fans that live him. Wasn’t about being disrespectful. Reggie needs to grow up.