Arians out of hospital, on track to interview with Bears

Arians AP

Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has been hospitalized twice in the past week with an apparent inner-ear infection, once in Baltimore (he missed Sunday’s playoff game) and again in Indianapolis after returning with the team.

According to Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star, Arians is now out of the hospital again and gearing up for a Sunday interview with the Bears to become the successor to Lovie Smith.

I’m home and I’m doing fine,” Arians said, via Chappell.  “I’m ready to roll.”

In addition to the interview with the Bears, the Eagles, Browns, and Chargers also are interested.

“I have to listen,” Arians told Chappell.  “I never thought this would happen.  I have a great job, so it’s going to have to be a perfect fit for me to leave. . . .  It would be hard to leave . . . [but] you always want to win one of these Super Bowls on your own.”

Regardless of what happens, it’s been an amazing year for Arians.  The Steelers let him go after the 2011 season, claiming he had retired.  But Arians then resurfaced in Indy, and he spent three months as the interim head coach after Chuck Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia.

We should all have such uneventful retirements.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Arians out of hospital, on track to interview with Bears”
  1. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 9, 2013 8:10 PM

He could always come back to Pittsburgh and be a minor assistant. That’s where he belongs anyway.

2. jredshoes says: Jan 9, 2013 8:16 PM

It’s amazing how he became so much smarter since the Steelers forced him to “retire.”

3. coachkilla6 says: Jan 9, 2013 8:17 PM

Don’t do it Bruce. You’re too good a guy for me to get you fired.

Signed,
    Jay “CoachKilla” Cutler

4. kliplee says: Jan 9, 2013 8:18 PM

Bruce Strong, make the bracelets Indianapolis. Support inner ear research.

5. maddenisfordorks says: Jan 9, 2013 8:20 PM

Is it only me who feels like the zombie apocalypse is going to start … from Colt headquarters?

Those guys are sick … bounce back … BOOM.

6. ambitoos says: Jan 9, 2013 8:25 PM

With Telasco as GM in San Diego Arians said in a radio he would be very interested in the San Diego HC job. And if we can’t get Dungee, we want Arians. Sorry Chicago.

7. rg3sus says: Jan 9, 2013 8:34 PM

Reason the Colts are out of the playoffs is because this guy was sick a week ago. He’s been the actual “head coach” since the Colts went on a roll. I would love to have this guy coaching my team.

8. larryboodry says: Jan 9, 2013 8:46 PM

Good luck to him wherever he lands…The Bears would be a good match.

9. brennankm46 says: Jan 9, 2013 8:52 PM

ambitoos says:
    Jan 9, 2013 8:25 PM
    __________________________________

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. You want The Dunge as your new headcoach? That’s fantastic. Lulz.

10. eviltwin007 says: Jan 9, 2013 9:00 PM

I hope he stays with the Colts. They have a real quarterback.

11. jharmon64 says: Jan 9, 2013 9:02 PM

I hope the Bears don’t fall for this, it’s a trap.

12. bloomingtonindy says: Jan 9, 2013 9:05 PM

Not sure how well Cutler and Arians would mesh. Bears need to get deeper offensive talent to put on the field than they had this past year.

13. 3sweetness4 says: Jan 9, 2013 9:07 PM

If we can’t get one of these OC for head coach, I wouldn’t mind seeing Singletary as HC with Norv Turner as the OC calling plays.

14. ohiobears says: Jan 9, 2013 9:10 PM

Gotta say, I was really hoping for Cowher to come in and retain Marinelli and grab a nice OC. Since thats not gonna happen, I’m really starting to hope the Bears can pull this off, Let Marinelli keep the D tough, and Re-energize this offense. We started hot and couldn’t keep it rolling. Gotta pick up some o line help and a TE and a few young pieces to mix in with the D, Throw McClellin in the Middle, resign Melton, and put in work next year.

15. Daniel Lawson says: Jan 9, 2013 9:12 PM

People close to him said Chicago (radio interview with Colts beat writer on CJH on espn1000) would be his preferred team. I think it’s because Jay probably reminds him a lot of Big Ben and they have a good D ready to roll as soon as he comes to town… getting that Super Bowl is much easier when one side of the ball is already gtg

16. nobisoreal says: Jan 9, 2013 9:37 PM

He’s obviously a great coach, and he’s definitely going to go to leave to be a HC somewhere. It’s a shame, because I think with him and Chuck together in Indy they could accomplish a lot… but not a lot of people are going to turn down a promotion. Especially in this scapegoat era where coordinators get forced into retirement and thrown overboard the second the ship starts to sink.

17. tluke25 says: Jan 9, 2013 9:47 PM

Bruce was one of the great feel good stories of this season. I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

18. charleslouis99 says: Jan 9, 2013 10:26 PM

I just love arians overall attitude towards life.

19. huskersrock1 says: Jan 9, 2013 10:41 PM

Hottest commodity in football right now.

20. stevenwilliams2013 says: Jan 9, 2013 10:50 PM

He’s going to the Da Bears!!!!

21. chiefnofoldem says: Jan 9, 2013 11:45 PM

When is the interview with the Eagles?

22. dabmasterhap says: Jan 10, 2013 12:12 AM

Coming back to Cleveland. Watch.

23. lgwelsh1 says: Jan 10, 2013 1:27 AM

He has a great offensive mind and Super Bowls to back it up. Cutler in Chicago should be foaming at the mouth to get him as his head coach.

24. larryboodry says: Jan 10, 2013 1:17 PM