Browns break the ice on Zimmer, interviewing today

Mike Zimmer AP

As many of the usual suspects began making the interview rounds, the one guy many in the league wondered about didn’t get an early call.

But Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer’s now on the list in Cleveland, as FOX’s Jay Glazer reports the Browns are bringing Zimmer in today for an interview.

Zimmer said Monday he hadn’t been contacted about any of the jobs. The longtime defensive coordinator interviewed for the Buccaneers and Dolphins openings last year, but didn’t get a second interview with either team.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Browns break the ice on Zimmer, interviewing today”
  1. vanmorrissey says: Jan 9, 2013 10:59 AM

Please, someone wake up and give this man the HC job he deserves. He’s done nothing but good things in Cincy.

2. jcmeyer10 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:00 AM

Biggest no brainer on the surface, but there has to be a reason why that only insiders know about.

It’s not like he didn’t get a first interview last year. Just no seconds.

3. bengalsucker says: Jan 9, 2013 11:03 AM

I was hoping Jay Gruden would be their big candidate they wanted. I’d rather them take Gruden than take Zimmer

4. nfcbeastly says: Jan 9, 2013 11:06 AM

As an Eagles fan I am jealous…

5. dominicthedonkey says: Jan 9, 2013 11:07 AM

Another bad decision by the Clowns…I mean Browns.

6. jimrose62012 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:08 AM

Bengals should fire Lewis and put Zimmer in. He’d give the team that final kick in the ass to get them over the hump.

7. scoobyscraps says: Jan 9, 2013 11:08 AM

As a Bengals fan, this is expected but it doesn’t make it less painful. I would hate to lose him, regardless of where he goes.

Sure wish they would fire Marvin and make him the head coach in Cincy!

8. jm91rs says: Jan 9, 2013 11:09 AM

hopefully he’s too brutal and honest with them. Unless the Bengals can get Rob Ryan quickly, I don’t want Zim leaving.

9. dumbpollack says: Jan 9, 2013 11:17 AM

Great. Who’s next, Art Shell? From a life long Browns fan (too long to mention), the new sheriff has fallen on his face on this one. Chasing after Chip Kelley was a mistake to begin with. Their lucky he didn’t sign on. Now they are throwing darts!!!!

10. kane337 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:26 AM

I hope he gets a head coaching gig.

11. bengalsown says: Jan 9, 2013 11:27 AM

Why would a fan of a team want their highly successful defensive coordinator to get a job elsewhere?

Personally, I hope Zimmer is stuck as the Bengals defensive coordinator for the next 15 years.

And to whoever said they want Rob Ryan, are you kidding me? The Ryan brother’s circus needs to move to Canada.

12. whitdog23 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:29 AM

Browns just read what Bears are doing with their search (picking rival coaches brains) and finally figured out what to do

13. donjuan1906 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:30 AM

Here we go with the overwhelming support of lazy in the brain Browns fans who want a WWE character type coach, frothing and foaming at the mouth, with a qoute on qoute big name! The animated coach with passion! Hell this dude is nothing but a white version of Mike Singletary – inspirational and inspiring – been one in done in the playoffs, hell where Pat Shurmur has put up points on this guy and we fired him! Where’s the freaking logic! Cut the appeasment and hire freakin Trestman already!

14. bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 9, 2013 11:30 AM

Please bengal fans dont talk about football it makes people dumber by listing to that garbage coming out your mouths Zimmer is a joke just like the organization if Browns bring this guy in ill be upset.

15. bengalsucker says: Jan 9, 2013 11:37 AM

Yeah we don’t want any of the Ryans anywhere near Cincinnati. I don’t want those clowns on my sideline. I’d love to keep Zimmer but we all know it’s inevitable that he’s going to get a HC gig somewhere. I’d love for the Bengals to move Marvin to GM (he knows player personel like the back of his hand. the dude knows how to pick players) and put Zim in the HC spot. But that’ll never happen

16. capitala23 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:43 AM

I am with everyone that really doesn’t want Zimmer to go, but know he really deserves the chance to be a HC. I guess I always hoped it would be in Cincy. I definitely don’t like the idea of him going to the Browns. Rather it be somewhere other than the other AFC North teams.

I honestly find it insulting to Zim that Gruden has gotten more calls. I know Gruden did some HC in the arena leagues, but I would like to see him put in some more time as an OC before getting the big job. He has done wonders with the Bengals Offense in a short time, but still shows times he needs to develop more as a coach. Game against Houston last week I think is a prime example.

17. rabiddawg19 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:46 AM

as a Browns fan, i have no issue with this:

1) Makes us strong and weakens a rival
    2) Ensures we don’t change defensive systems so we don’t go through the regular personnel shake ups we like to impose on ourselves every 2-3 years
    3) Hopefully would keep Jauron in as DC
    4) Ensures that he won’t be his own offensive coordinator…Shurmer, i’m looking at you…

if we can nail down a top flight OC (norv maybe?) this rudderless ship might actually have some direction for once.

or cowher…i’d take cowher too.

18. slowclyde86 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:51 AM

dominicthedonkey says: Jan 9, 2013 11:07 AM

Another bad decision by the Clowns…I mean Browns.

—————————————————–

Please, enlighten us with your insightful analysis, dominic. Why is this a bad decision to, I dunno, interview a well-respected defensive coordinator.

Next time try some thought with your knee-jerk reactions.

19. stoptrippn says: Jan 9, 2013 11:51 AM

He’s an idiot. He can’t talk to the players. Ask Dunlap

20. pacodawg says: Jan 9, 2013 12:22 PM

I guess you know Zim personally to call him an idiot. Ask Dunlap? reliable source there.

21. jamal1971 says: Jan 9, 2013 12:26 PM

For all the Bengals haters,why do you dislike Mike Zimmer? Because he coached a pretty good defense or you guys are Hard Knocks again? Mike Zimmer is a really good defensive coordinator who took the talent that was given to him and made this defense top 10. By the way,Zimmer had no first round picks on the defensive line or at linebacker,so tell me again why you haters dislike Mike Zimmer again?

22. bengalskuta82 says: Jan 9, 2013 12:49 PM

I hope he goes to Sandiego but Not the Browns..Zimmer going to the Brown will make Cincy the weakest team in the Battle of Ohio

23. bengalskuta82 says: Jan 9, 2013 12:55 PM

Hmmm…If Zimmer leaves, Rob Ryan is in the Bengals plans..From an inside source..makes some sense bcoz the Brothers and Marvin Lewis go way back

24. sandeeowen says: Jan 9, 2013 12:57 PM

Well said Rabiddawg19!

25. baller2 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:05 PM

Zimmer would be better than Trestman. I think the guy went to the cfl because he couldn’t get a job in the nfl so why would we want to interview him? Plus jH III wants a run game first and all Trestman did at AZ with jake Plummer was throw it…poorly.

26. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Jan 9, 2013 1:16 PM

By hiring him they would be making themselves better and hurting a division rival at the same time.

27. coachbeck says: Jan 9, 2013 10:14 PM

Would bring hue Jackson as oc. Still think they want an offensive coach. Just kicking the tires here. And how will banner take zim telling him what’s what. Dolphins did not appreciate his frankness. Something tells me that he and banner would be rough and I doubt banner is backing down.