Chargers interested in Mike Zimmer too

Mike Zimmer AP

The Browns are bringing Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer in to interview for their head coaching job on Wednesday and it looks like they have some company when it comes to interest in him.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers have expressed interest in speaking to Zimmer about their own vacancy. No interview has been scheduled yet, although that could be coming soon.

Acee also reports that the Chargers are expected to name their new general manager on Wednesday, a move that would allow them to move forward in earnest in the search for a head coach. The team’s current director of player personnel Jimmy Raye and Colts vice president of football operations Tom Telesco are the two finalists for the job.

There should be more names added to the list once Raye or Telesco is officially put in charge of things in San Diego, although John Spanos, son of owner Dean Spanos, is also expected to play an outsize role in both choosing and overseeing the next coach in San Diego.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
19 Responses to “Chargers interested in Mike Zimmer too”
  1. bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 9, 2013 11:58 AM

Sign him chargers so the browns dont

2. CKL says: Jan 9, 2013 12:10 PM

I think Zimmer would be a great choice. Most of SD’s issues IMO have been caused by their falling apart mentally when things got tough. Well Zimmer would fix that. He would just need to hire a good OC and they would be fine.

3. mazblast says: Jan 9, 2013 12:12 PM

Zimmer is one of the very few good choices the Bagels have made in their coaching selections. Quietly does a very efficient job, doesn’t try to be a celebrity, isn’t the little brother of anyone famous. This year’s Bugle defense was the best they’ve had in their 20-years-plus run of years of not winning one playoff game.

4. ill42 says: Jan 9, 2013 12:15 PM

About time. Zim is a hell of a coach. Just look at Atkins and Burfict for example

5. eatitfanboy says: Jan 9, 2013 12:30 PM

Since he’s a defensive guy, if they hire him they should definitely bring in Norv Turner as offensive coordinator.

Oh, wait……..never mind.

6. smitty767 says: Jan 9, 2013 12:32 PM

This dude had Pacman Jones and Terrence Newman playing corner for him and he had a good defense. If that isn’t genius, I don’t know what is.

7. talkintrashallday says: Jan 9, 2013 12:34 PM

He earned this opportunity. I know he would love to have his wife by his side to enjoy this with him.

8. t8ertot says: Jan 9, 2013 12:55 PM

You can’t have him!! He’s our only good coach. Take Gruden or Lewis please

-Bengal fans

9. bengalsucker says: Jan 9, 2013 1:00 PM

He used to hunt at our farm here in Cincy. He brought his wife up one day and I’ll tell you, she was the most down to earth, nice, caring person I’ve met. She was truely a good person. Awful that she lost her life so young and I know he was torn up. I have no idea how that guy coached so soon after that but the players here in Cincy lifted him up and kept him going. He’s like family here and we’d all sorely miss him. But we know he deserves this shot.

10. enrifer says: Jan 9, 2013 1:22 PM

Will be great hire for the Chargers

11. realskipbayless says: Jan 9, 2013 2:03 PM

I’m a Bengals fan and I don’t hate Marvin Lewis or anything but we ve seen over his years in cincy that he can’t get a team playing good in the playoffs. I don’t hate Marvin but I think it may be time for a change. Give his job to Zimmer if he wants it. He can get that D playin right I think he has potential to be a good head coach.

12. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 9, 2013 2:05 PM

Zimmer needs to stay as a coordinator. He is not HC material.

13. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jan 9, 2013 2:33 PM

Zimmer would be terrible as a HC. You don’t want that guy leading your team. *

* this comment has nothing to do with the fact that I’m a Bengals fan and really don’t want him to leave.

14. rajbais says: Jan 9, 2013 3:55 PM

He should be the Bengals HC!!

Lewis is a playoff loser!!!

Winless!!!

15. stoptrippn says: Jan 9, 2013 3:57 PM

No Way. Weddle would hate playing for him.

16. braxton29 says: Jan 9, 2013 4:53 PM

Zimmer has been my top choice for Chargers HC for a long time. He is due for his chance and I think he is the total package: a leader who brings the best out of his players and commands respect, battle-tested, smart, passionate. If San Diego got him, he could build something special.

17. bmberinger says: Jan 9, 2013 6:31 PM

Fire Marvin, Promote Zimmer to HC!!!

18. raiderapologist says: Jan 9, 2013 6:38 PM

The Bengals should dump Lewis and promote Zimmer. There’s no way to know if he’ll make a good head coach until someone gives him a shot, but I think he’ll be a good one. I want the Chargers to hire Romeo Crennel.

19. realitycheck21 says: Jan 10, 2013 8:57 AM

Don’t like Zimmer as HC at all. With the hiring of the new GM, Arians is the BEST choice for the new HC.