RG2 says RG3′s ACL wasn’t completely torn, fixed anyway

Robert Griffin III AP

At this point, all we really need for Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III’s knee surgery is a few television cameras, and the yellow first down line where Dr. James Andrews is making an incision.

Now, his father has added his voice to the chorus, with RG2 saying that RG3’s right ACL wasn’t completely torn, but was repaired anyway.

Robert’s ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession,” Griffin II said in a text message to Jim Corbett of USA Today. “You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace.”

The LCL (one of the lesser known CLs) was torn, and both were reconstructed by Andrews.

Griffin’s father said there was no evidence of the ACL tear on the initial MRIs, which might explain some of the early ambiguity about his condition.

Given that it’s the second ACL surgery for RG3, and the fact there’s other damage, an Adrian Peterson-type miracle rehab might be hard to pull off.

But what we know for now is that he’s in for a significant time away, and there are enough reports to go on that it’s impossible to know at the moment how long it will take.

Now that dad’s chimed in, perhaps the last man left to check with is Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, to see if the Redskins should have shut RG3 down Stephen Strasburg-style for the good of the franchise.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
45 Responses to “RG2 says RG3′s ACL wasn’t completely torn, fixed anyway”
  1. steviemo says: Jan 9, 2013 10:47 AM

Um, no one cares about what RG2 says about RG3′s medical situation.

2. gcsuk says: Jan 9, 2013 10:50 AM

I can’t believe they haven’t asked me fr my opinion yet. I mean, I watched it on TV, so I probably know about as much it as some of the people that are chiming in.

3. lightcleric says: Jan 9, 2013 10:53 AM

There are a lot of reports but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the guy’s dad is a pretty reliable source.

4. chrisexv6 says: Jan 9, 2013 10:56 AM

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, does that count?

5. rawdiggah007 says: Jan 9, 2013 10:59 AM

Uhh didnt AP have multiple knee surgeries in college before this latest one last year?

6. bman69 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:00 AM

I hope he can make it back for next year, a very exciting player. Does anyone know if Chris Clemonds had his surgery yet??

7. bigbluenationdb says: Jan 9, 2013 11:00 AM

I would be willing to wage anything he blows that knee out again within 3 years.

Giants defensive back Terrell Thomas tore his ACL in college, then tore the same ACL in 2011, came back this year and in his first preseason action tore it again.

If RG3 does come back this year, the Skins better change that offense and try to make him a pure pocket passer. If not, 3 first round picks down the drain.

The Skins may also want to fix that sand box of a field. I know their not use to playing games in January but that field was a joke.

8. sc711 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:02 AM

Hey SNYDER…..your crappy field just tore up another knee…….

9. firesnyder says: Jan 9, 2013 11:03 AM

That’s good news about the ACL. Here in Washington, it was first reported as 2 complete tears. An incomplete ACL tear should lessen the time for healing. RG3 needs to take the FULL time to heal. No rushing!!!

10. PhantomsToenail says: Jan 9, 2013 11:04 AM

RG2 needs to talk less. He is getting about as annoying as Archie Manning.

11. endzone says: Jan 9, 2013 11:11 AM

Gosh ya mean we don’t get to watch RGKnee surgery tonight Live! at 7:00 PM? Well golly and here I thought the right to privacy had been completely slain by Anderson Cooper.

12. aaronmushrush says: Jan 9, 2013 11:11 AM

RG jr..my dude your foot is stuck in your mouth. a normal person can easily function with a partially torn acl after a few weeks rest. ask boobie miles about playing with a partially torn acl. cousins ain’t no gomer either

13. 81buckeye says: Jan 9, 2013 11:12 AM

This is actually one of the few comments so far on this topic that makes some sense given the difference in some of the reports.

14. salventuri says: Jan 9, 2013 11:13 AM

Its now clearly apparent the Colts knew which QB to pick.

15. questionableprovenance says: Jan 9, 2013 11:14 AM

Amazing that the role of family, especially fathers, is so overlooked in the NFL. Amazing, but sadly, not surprising – how many inductees into the HOF have thanked their “parents”, as opposed to their “mothers”.

So steviemo can say, no one cares about what RG2 says. Guess what: RG2 is the extremely competent head of an extremely high-functioning family. To get an idea of how close this family is, you might search for the story of how RG3 proposed to his now fiancee.

I suspect that the best thing RG3 can do to make sure he doesn’t cripple himself by pushing too hard in his rehab is consulting with RG2 and Mrs. RG2. And, amazingly, he does </b. care about what RG2 says.

16. paulsmith107 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:19 AM

Who cares about rg2. Did he perform the surgery. With all this misinformation being leaked I’m beginning to wonder just how bad his knee is. Well I guess it’s true qbs go to Washington to waste away.

17. ramasez says: Jan 9, 2013 11:20 AM

Wait wait, you guys sound like idiots, why wouldn’t the father know about the son’s medical situation?

18. paulsmith107 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:21 AM

Redskins fans this is why you don’t draft running qbs they never ever last. Tannehill will have a longer more solid career than rg3. The score so far on rg3 two acl’s in the same knee an lcl in the same knee and a concussion earlier in the year and this is in his younger less beaten up years. Wait till 4 years from now lol

19. fuglyflorio says: Jan 9, 2013 11:22 AM

Ummm why yes, his knee was fine. Didn’t even need an operation. He’s fine … just fine.

20. andymc58 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:22 AM

Great opening paragraph. Good stuff.

21. bartlettruss says: Jan 9, 2013 11:31 AM

RG2 is exactly the guy you want to hear from. The doctor likely talked to him directly after the surgery. Also, what he is reporting makes sense and has some level of detail. I for one am grateful for the update. It certainly was better than the drivel that’s been coming from the Redskins organization.

22. defscottyb says: Jan 9, 2013 11:34 AM

Bobby Franchise will be back shreading up the NFC East by the opener… Hail!

23. joh3092 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:34 AM

Peterson had shoulder issues, but never a knee issue in college. He had a minor ligament strain his rookie year in Minnesota (against the Packers…argh! Always the Packers!), but that required a couple weeks rest.

rawdiggah007 says: Jan 9, 2013 10:59 AM

24. hendawg21 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:35 AM

Folks with this you shouldn’t draft a running QB bs need to get a grip, that injury was just a freak of nature. And Griffin is not a running QB as in the likes of Vick he’s a pocket passer with the ability to run if he needs, and if you look over the years there have been just as many if not more pocket passer QB’s who’ve been hurt and or knocked out for the season Brady, Manning P, Cutler, Rothlisberger, Joe Theismann, Doug Williams this list could on and on. The only reason he got hurt on the play is the way he gets down he needs to work on tucking his body more instead of having body parts flying in all different directions.

25. spurstar210 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:37 AM

Dejuan Blair for my spurs has no ACL’s. just take them out. lol

26. jwreck says: Jan 9, 2013 11:40 AM

________
    gcsuk, you put it perfectly. I like DG as a football writer, but I don’t why he feels the need to inject his medical opinions into the article.

I don’t claim to be a medical professional either, but LCL damage would be far more harmful to AP than to Griffin. The LCL holds the knee in place laterally and is more of a stabilizing ligament than anything else. The most important thing the LCL can do, as far as Griffin is concerned, is prevent further knee damage, and isn’t as important for quarterbacks (as long as Griffin can stop running as much/get out of bounds faster/not return to football until his recovery is complete)

27. whatok says: Jan 9, 2013 11:47 AM

Some of the commenters on these RG3 updates are incredible! I can’t believe there are so many saying they’re glad this happened to the Skins and they’re happy this happened so that they can say they were right all along about him running too much.

Some people are effed up!

And Skins fans ARE interested in the updates. If you are not, stop reading them, trolls.

28. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Jan 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Ya know, we’ve only seen on post from logicalvoice or whatever he was calling himself lately since the loss and news of the injury. I hope he didn’t sit at a table in a dimly lit room, listening to old blues records with a bottle of vodka and a .45 semi.

29. d0minate says: Jan 9, 2013 11:53 AM

Well according to this article, they are replacing the ACL not repairing it.. ie, a cadaver ACL. That should be much much stronger than repairing the damaged ACL.

Any word on Clemmons?

30. forthand26 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:54 AM

jwreck says: Jan 9, 2013 11:40 AM

I don’t claim to be a medical professional either…There are only three “CLs”; and while the ACL is obviously the best known/most often injured of the three, the other two are the LCL and the PCL, which is the same as the LCL, just on the other side of the knee.

——————-

Good thing you don’t claim that because you missed the other collateral ligament – the MCL. Two cruciate ligaments (ACL & PCL) and two collateral ligaments (MCL and LCL).

31. briang123 says: Jan 9, 2013 11:55 AM

As an Eagles fan, I wish the Rams drafted RG3 and I hate the idea of him playing against the Eagles twice a year for the next 10+ years. As a father, husband, and human being, I hope this man recovers and reaches his potential. As much as I don’t care for the division rivals, I’d be a more to deny RG3 is both a fine talent and really fine young man.

32. tindeaux says: Jan 9, 2013 11:58 AM

i respect rg2 for saying this anyway…
    would you expect rg2 say “rg3′s knee is done. he can’t heal and play at a high level anymore..”???

Of course, not!

33. conormacleod says: Jan 9, 2013 11:59 AM

So, a partial tear and surgery of those isn’t as bad as a full tear and surgery? I guess, but it still sounds like a full rehab after reconstructive surgery. And I’m guessing his game isn’t the same for at least one full season. AP was an anomaly. Nobody ever recovered that fast that well before. It’s highly unlikely I happens with RGIII. I wish the kid luck, but he will need some time.

34. mazblast says: Jan 9, 2013 12:07 PM

While I hardly call RG2 a medical expert, I’m more inclined to believe what he says than the word of all the armchair MDs who are 95% uninformed about the situation.

And when it comes to the rehab, I believe that other than RG3 himself, no one knows what RG3 can do better than his father. It has always seemed to me that one of the many things that RG3 has to be thankful for in his life is his family.

35. londonfletcher59 says: Jan 9, 2013 12:47 PM

Have they reached Alex Ovechkin for his opinion yet? He’s back in DC, you know.

36. bigbenh8tr says: Jan 9, 2013 12:53 PM

His dad doesn’t sound very intelligent actually. Just like Florio has said repeatedly (and it makes complete sense), if it wasn’t on the MRI last week, its new. And if it was the same place it was replaced in College, I’m sorry, but that is not good news. That only means it will be more likely to break in the same spot again.

Each time it stretches and doesn’t tear at all, it is making it more likely to stretch enough that it does eventually tear. I hope it doesn’t happen, but it is more than likely.

Pure class Shanny

37. atchick says: Jan 9, 2013 12:57 PM

jreck wrote: While I know he was just making a joke, “(one of the lesser known CLs)” shows a clear lack of knowledge on the subject. There are only three “CLs”; and while the ACL is obviously the best known/most often injured of the three, the other two are the LCL and the PCL, which is the same as the LCL, just on the other side of the knee.

ummmm….there are 4: anterior and posterior cruciates, and medial and lateral collateral ligaments. Guess you know as much as the author.

38. charge1 says: Jan 9, 2013 12:59 PM

They should ask the Alabama qbs girlfriend for an opinion. I would listen to that one.

39. manningbowl88 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:03 PM

Rg3 hurt again in his first year..no wayyyy! couldnt see this coming what a total shocker!!!!

now logicalvoices and go back into hiding for the next 30 years until the redskins win another division title !!!! haha

40. stoolerz says: Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

RG2. time to step up as a father. Ensure your son rehabs CORRECTLY and entirely before trying to come back.

41. leafeaterx says: Jan 9, 2013 1:11 PM

RG2, RG3,… I feel like we’re talking about robots or something mechanical or electronic, not people. Lol

As for the ACL, as I understood it, it was the previous graft that was torn not the ACL itself. I presume that’s what RG2 was referring to.

42. jgrange says: Jan 9, 2013 1:45 PM

Robert Griffin Jr has served his country proudly for years and was even deployed to Iraq in 2003. Anybody disrespecting a soldier shows their complete and utter lack of class. Nobody is more qualified to talk about a medical procedure than the parents who are there for their children outside of the doctors/nurses who performed the surgery.

43. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 9, 2013 1:47 PM

I’m a Cowboys fan but I have to say I hope RG3 recovers quickly and comes back to play next year. A very exciting player to watch and good for the NFL.

I do think the coaches in Washington made a serious mistake in not pulling him from the game earlier when he started limping but prior to the play where he tore his knee.

44. jwreck says: Jan 9, 2013 2:34 PM

firesnyder says: Jan 9, 2013 11:03 AM

______
    If “no rushing” is a pun, I like it, and I never like puns. Though I’m extremely upset by Shanahan’s handling of Griffin on Sunday (to put it mildly), I still have a lot of confidence in him as a coach. However, if I see one designed run called next season, he has to go.

45. jwreck says: Jan 9, 2013 4:01 PM

londonfletcher59 says: Jan 9, 2013 12:47 PM

Have they reached Alex Ovechkin for his opinion yet? He’s back in DC, you know.
    _________
    Somehow I doubt drinking a gallon of Vodka a day, driving 140 on the Beltway, not showering, and having anonymous relations with half the female population of the DMV area is part of James Andrews’ physical therapy plan