RG3’s knee surgery has been completed, plans to rehab in Florida

Washington Redskins starting quarterback Griffin III is helped off field by team trainers late in fourth quarter against Baltimore in Landover Reuters

Robert Griffin III has completed his knee surgery and is now recovering as he prepares for a potentially lengthy rehabilitation.

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that Griffin’s knee surgery was completed just after noon Wednesday. Dr. James Andrews repaired Griffin’s ACL and LCL.

Griffin’s rehab will keep him in Florida “for the foreseeable future,” Maske reports, with the first six to eight weeks of the rehab being viewed as particularly important.

Estimates on the recovery time have ranged from as short as six months to as long as 12 months, which means anywhere from Griffin being ready for the start of training camp to Griffin missing the entire 2013 season. At this point it’s simply too soon to say.

All that can be said is that this is a major surgery, creating a major question mark about the future of one of the NFL’s brightest young stars.

Permalink 94 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
94 Responses to “RG3’s knee surgery has been completed, plans to rehab in Florida”
  1. Ponder This says: Jan 9, 2013 1:03 PM

I’ve never heard of ACL recovery being as little as six months. AD came back after eight months and that was viewed as amazing.

Michael David Smith: It’s rare, but players have recovered in as little as six months. Rod Woodson, for instance, tore his ACL in Week One of the 1995 season and then played in the Super Bowl less than five months later.

2. 8to80texansblog says: Jan 9, 2013 1:04 PM

Surprised… I believe the guy that Peterson rehabbed with is here in Houston and why wouldn’t everyone want to rehab with that guy…

3. Steve B says: Jan 9, 2013 1:06 PM

I hope he takes as long as necessary to get well. Rehabbing in Florida is a good idea too…get away from us crazy fans. I believe we helped create the monster and hysteria that made Shanny feel like he should let him continue on.

4. nfcbeastly says: Jan 9, 2013 1:06 PM

As an Eagles fan, I wish this guy the very best. Don’t want to watch a 30 for 30 on this guy in 2 years…

5. bpd1968 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:07 PM

bionic knee

6. vikingsvoice says: Jan 9, 2013 1:07 PM

Let’s just hope this doesn’t become any more tragic than it is already. It would be a shame if he is never the same after such an outstanding rookie campaign.

7. jwreck says: Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

Redskins fans are not thrilled at the idea of a star player rehabbing in Florida (no disrespect to ST of course)

8. greymares says: Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

you will know by April there’s no way they will go into the season with Grossman backing up Cousins

9. logicalvoicesays says: Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

The RG3urrection is underway. The NFL has been warned.

10. rg3sus says: Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

I remain optimistic. I hope I’m not being delusional but the Adrain Peterson recovery gives me hope. That said, rg3 is a great pocket passer. Even if he comes back with 90% of his speed the threat of his mobility will be enough to keep defenses honest. I just pray this doesn’t make him far more injury prone

11. hurrayforyogapants says: Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

Shanaham needs to be taking a lot more heat for this — it’s ridiculous that bob was still on the game. It was obvious he couldn’t play and since they have a good backup QB (unlike my squad), its inexcusable to put him at risk like that.

12. zappa69 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

The NFC Washington division “no more”

13. justintuckrule says: Jan 9, 2013 1:09 PM

If the Skins truly cared about the health of this kid and put losing valuable luxe boxes aside declaring RG out for 2013, they’d IR him right now for 2013 and unload a tremendous burden off his shoulder’s to return too soon risking a career-threatening setback. He’s only 22 and still has a 15 year career ahead of him if he’s smart. It’s not like AP who is already 26 and will have years worth of wear on his tires before he’s 30. I’m not just saying this because I’m a Giants’ fan. I really like watching this kid play and don’t want to see the same thing happen to him that happened to Steve Smith when he rushed back too fast.

14. tungo0516 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:09 PM

Good luck on a hopefully speedy recovery RGIII.

But on another note, he must learn from this mistake and not repeat it again. I love the fact that he is a sheer gamer, but him staying in the game when he was ineffective could have very well been the sole reason they lost the game.

In cases like this, he should have done what was best for his team and taken himself out when he knew he wasn’t capable.

Any player who doesn’t and hinders the team is just being selfish.

15. jammer73 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:09 PM

Yay, more news on RG Knee. Time to get some popcorn.

16. bmacwillconn says: Jan 9, 2013 1:10 PM

Thanks Mike Shanahan. This is 100% on you. Not the doctor, not RGIII….YOU.

Between Shanahan and Obama I don’t know whose done more to destroy Washington.

17. tokyosandblaster says: Jan 9, 2013 1:10 PM

I’m sure logical voice will soon appear to tell us how rg3 will not only be back for next season, he will never miss or lose a game again, going 19-0 for 15 years, all while saving kids with cancer, ridding the world of poverty, and creating a time travel device to go back and stop Lincoln from being assassinated.

18. bobonmycob says: Jan 9, 2013 1:10 PM

vikingsvoice says:Jan 9, 2013 1:07 PM

Would it be? I would have thought mobile QB’s would learn their lesson after watching Vick get thrashed every season.

19. hurrayforyogapants says: Jan 9, 2013 1:11 PM

@ponderthis. I had heard it wasn’t a complete ACL tear – maybe shorter recovery. Still, good point, I don’t think there are many who can expect AD-like results. He’s one of a kind.

20. mrlaloosh says: Jan 9, 2013 1:12 PM

Thank to the idiot owner, Snyder, his prized QB will never be the same. Give up THREE number one draft picks and let him play on a cow pasture of a field. Real smart Snyder.
    Dumbest billionaire ever.

21. ravenmuscle says: Jan 9, 2013 1:12 PM

His surgery started at 7:30 am and ended at noon. Open heart by-pass surgery don’t take this long. This was MAJOR reconstructive surgery involving his ACL Coming back from this with his former explosive mobility is OVER forever.
    The skins can forget about trying to trade Kirk Cousins for draft picks. Their three number ones are gone forever.
    Adrian Peterson’s recovery was a once in a lifetime miracle

Of couse Shenehan would start him tomorrow.

22. peytonsneck18 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:12 PM

IRG3

23. footballfan58 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:13 PM

Speedy recovery RGIII! Pat’s fan here wishing you the very best and wants to see you playing again!

24. armchairqb says: Jan 9, 2013 1:13 PM

Anyone else find it strange that there has yet to be a single official report from the Redskins that even mentions the term “ACL?” It’s all just “surgery.”

They are releasing NOTHING about degree of the damage, type of repairs needed … just seems suspicious when with most other players we know chapter and verse on the extent of their injuries within about 24 hours.

Better bank on 12+ month recovery at least. If it were all sunshine and puppies, believe me Snyder’s PR machine would trumpeting that news all over the planet.

25. bigbenh8tr says: Jan 9, 2013 1:13 PM

And the illogical voice is back. Really enjoyed your posts over the course of the season about the rest of the NFC East teams and all the healthy QBs that will be helping their teams next year.

I hope RG3 finds a new team that takes care of him after his rookie contract.

Karma sucks sometimes

26. sb34champs says: Jan 9, 2013 1:13 PM

Sorry Redskins fans, on that note its great news for Rams fans such as I!

27. lance19 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:13 PM

RG3 was one of the best reasons to
    watch pro football in 2012.

Bad news for the game. Bad news for
    fans who truly love the sport.

28. peytonsneck18 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:14 PM

Skins fans…..get used to seeing scenes like that pic above, rg3 getting carried off the field, gettin fitted for a “hoveround”

29. bobonmycob says: Jan 9, 2013 1:14 PM

Steve B says:Jan 9, 2013 1:06 PM

Well after having a horrible team for more then a decade that can happen. But shanny should be fired. You are a coach.. you tell personnel what to do. You don’t listen to the advice of your fresh out of college quarterback. And they wonder why this franchise is a joke.

30. elliottcovert says: Jan 9, 2013 1:15 PM

I would be interested to hear someone (besides James Andrews) give an evaluation from a medical perspective on RGIII’s knee situation. I was listening to the radio this morning and Mark Slareth (not a doctor, but an ex-player who I assume has experience dealing with sports injuries) mentioned that he thought that the hit that actually took RGIII out of the game didn’t cause any structural damage to his knee, and that by that point the damage to his knee had already been done. I’d be interested to hear a medical evaluation of this.

31. pixelito says: Jan 9, 2013 1:16 PM

Your 2013 NFC East division champions, NY GIANTS!

32. wolfmagic2012 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:16 PM

What a debacle. Let’s put aside the recriminations as to shoulda-coulda-woulda (I am upset with Shanny). The thing now is to build upon the Cousins pick, as Kirk will be our starter for most or all of the regular season – if that is, Shanny has not completely pickled his brain, and thinks RG3 is going to be rushed back like AP did. I would not even THINK about putting RG3 in for at least 10 to 12 months. Do NOT ruin the career of the man that DC has waited decades for!

33. andyreidsbossoms says: Jan 9, 2013 1:17 PM

I can’t blame the guy for wanting to be away from Washington

34. n0hopeleft says: Jan 9, 2013 1:18 PM

His surgery is completed…

So is his career….

Talk to anyone with 2 ACL reconstructions – he will never be the same.

And if you think people aren’t going to be targetting that knee, you’re fooling yourself.

35. bartlettruss says: Jan 9, 2013 1:18 PM

RG3 didn’t learn his lesson from a concussion and he won’t learn from this. He’s determined to go out there and just do his own thing the way he’s always done it. I really don’t think his body can take it.

36. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:19 PM

I pray for his full recovery

37. eatitfanboy says: Jan 9, 2013 1:20 PM

I was actually sick to my stomach on Sunday over this, and I am not even a Skins fan.

Even though I know it was talked about alot immediately after the game and the next day, I still don’t think enough is being made about the fact that he was left in the game.

I felt like I was watching a slow motion car crash. The way he was moving around and not being able make accurate throws because he couldn’t put any weight on his right leg, it was obvious to me that he was going to injure it worse than it already was.

If I were a Skins fan, I would be outraged. Leaving him in was so pointless. Not only did it jeopardize the future of the franchise, but it was clear that he was not able to be effective. I mean, on one downfield pass the ball fell almost 10 yards short! Cousins at that point probably gave you a better chance to win the game. And don’t tell me how they were ahead 14-13. It was obvious by how Seattle was playing that 14 points was not winning that game.

I wish him the best and hope he is back in 2013, but ONLY if he is completely healthy!

38. bpd1968 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:21 PM

RG3, quarterback. A man with a bun knee.
    Dr. James Andrews:: Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world’s first bionic knee. RG3 will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

39. dametcalf says: Jan 9, 2013 1:22 PM

I agree with justintuckrule. The ‘Skins should IR him for 2013 and remove the temptation for him to push too hard in rehab. Could be the best career move for him and for the ‘Skins franchise.

40. gogatorsjohn says: Jan 9, 2013 1:22 PM

Joey Galloway who had world-class speed as well had TWO ACL injuries and still killed it at age 35-37 with the Bucs. As long as he doesn’t rush, I think he should be fine.

41. ceschatz says: Jan 9, 2013 1:24 PM

I like RG3 and all but does every 2nd-3rd article on this site have to be about him. There are still playoffs going on you know.

42. redskin1 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:26 PM

all you guys are doing nothing but speculating,you are not doctors so give me a break,

43. manilarizzo says: Jan 9, 2013 1:26 PM

Didn’t Rivers blow an ACL in a playoff game in 2007, then played the following week, then had surgery and was back the following season with a Pro Bowl year??

44. Stupid Lions Fan says: Jan 9, 2013 1:27 PM

The illusion that RG3 is a ‘great pocket passer’ is ONLY because of the threat of his run. Once the run threat is neutralized… we’ll see that he’s not such a great pocket passer when those LB’s aren’t biting so hard. Bank on it.

45. ancylostoma says: Jan 9, 2013 1:27 PM

Ponder This says:
    Jan 9, 2013 1:03 PM

Im a physician, complete torn of ACL 6 months (grade 3) , partial torn of ACL 4-12 weeks to rehab (grade 2) .. and the partial torn doesn not always needs surgery to fix… Plus LCL torn takes less time to rehab than A/P LCL

46. maltliquor says: Jan 9, 2013 1:27 PM

logicalvoicesays says:
    Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM
    The RG3urrection is underway. The NFL has been warned.

Why can’t you just go away….I see why so many people on this site are annoyed with you. RG3 got hurt further because of that idiot of a coach. Simple and plain.

47. indywilson40 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:28 PM

“As an Eagles, Giants, Cowboys fan” blah, blah blah. You’re all relieved that you might not have to deal with RG3 anymore.

48. herman23934 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:29 PM

I hope RGknee makes a speedy and full recovery.

All this talk of being careful in the future is ridiculous. This is a collision sport. Every play could result in injury.

49. battle23 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:31 PM

RG3 is a grown man, and tore his ACL before. He made his decision to keep playing and not take himself out. It is 100% him. I bet next time he injures his knee, he will remove himself, because I am sure he has FINALLY learned that he is not invincible and it would not be smart to continue playing

50. nananatman says: Jan 9, 2013 1:33 PM

Leave it to the skins to mismanage their best commodities.

51. skinswillsurprise says: Jan 9, 2013 1:34 PM

jwreck says:
    Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM
    ———————
    What does that even mean?? Stupid people are everywhere, idiot! If you look in the mirror, you might see one. HTTR!

52. tdubdizzle says: Jan 9, 2013 1:35 PM

Hendawg-The problem with a running quarterback is they’re running… Besides, dont you get a quarterback to throw the ball?

53. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jan 9, 2013 1:39 PM

Yes, Adrian Peterson rehab went extremely well and he returned better than ever. But, he’s the exception rather than the rule. Another factor is this is the SECOND reconstructive surgery on the SAME knee. So, folks might want to dial down their expectations a bit.
    What really sucks is this injury could have been avoided, or at least minimized. RG3 bears some of the blame. However, most of the blame belongs to shanahan. He’s the head coach, not RG3. Shanahan should have removed his franchise QB before halftime. It was painfully obvious to everyone else watching that RG3 had re-injured the knee and could no longer run or pass with any accuracy. Not to mention the fact RG3 was a sitting duck with Seattle’s defence. The crazy thing is that the redskins would have had a better chance of winning with cousins in the game… At least he had 2 good knees! Sorry, but shanahan deserves to be fires. There”s a good chance he ruined Washington’s franchise QB.

54. alphaq2 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:40 PM

What’s done is done. As Skins fans all we can do is hope that this was an eye opener for Shanahan as well as Griffin. There is no reason to run the option with the most accurate rookie passer in the history of the NFL. And there is no reason Griffin needs to get the extra yard. Just slide (feet first Robert…please). Don’t reinvent the position, just be the best at it. You have the skills to do it.

55. tformation says: Jan 9, 2013 1:40 PM

Get better RG3. The NFL is a much more interesting place with you in it. Godspeed, man.

56. salventuri says: Jan 9, 2013 1:41 PM

I’d like to see the bill for that operation.

57. granadafan says: Jan 9, 2013 1:42 PM

I’m a big RG3 fan (not a ‘Skins fan though). I’m impressed by his production and leadership even though he’s only a rookie, his demeanor, class, and ability to talk coherently. Even though he’s not a “real brother” in the eyes of some ignorants, RG3 ought to be looked up to as someone to emulate.

58. lennydpocketqb says: Jan 9, 2013 1:43 PM

bmacwillconn says:

Thanks Mike Shanahan. This is 100% on you. Not the doctor, not RGIII….YOU.

Between Shanahan and Obama I don’t know whose done more to destroy Washington.

________________________

Shanahan.

59. kenmasters34 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:46 PM

Jay Cutler left the NFC Championship with a torn MCL, and was trashed by the media and fellow players. He was called a quitter, a wimp, no heart… etc.

60. captainstabbins says: Jan 9, 2013 1:47 PM

Welcome to the world of the scrambling quarterback…..Oh well…Fun while it lasted.

61. crappygovernment says: Jan 9, 2013 1:53 PM

Neither Andrew Luck nor RG III made it as far in the playoffs as Tebow did last season!

I hope they quit blacklisting Tebow for his outspoken Christianity next season to make the NFL more entertaining!

62. rexryanstattoo says: Jan 9, 2013 1:55 PM

Report is out that Adrian Peterson donated Stem Cells to aid in the rehab process.

RG3 is fully healed by groundhog day and breaks the NFL rushing record next year.

63. bengals69 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:55 PM

Now that the knee has been opened up, no mystery about its condition. The Redskins should be asked if his meniscus was damaged and if cartilge was removed. Given he’s had two ACL injuries to the same knee its possible the meniscus has been damaged and that could cause his recovery to be more lengthy and less complete than what AP went through.

64. mdac1012 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:56 PM

Hopefully RGIII makes a full recovery, I am a Giants fan, but this guy is an asset to the league in every way.

But for all the posters who said you can run an option offense long term in the NFL, this is why you can’t. When he comes back, whether it is next year or not, they are going to have to limit his hits, and not have him running constantly in the open field.

65. mjkelly77 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:57 PM

I see a one year rehab followed by a small retirement party.

66. green41563 says: Jan 9, 2013 1:57 PM

“Man, RG3’s knee is MESSED UP!”

— Andrew Bynum

67. azarkhan says: Jan 9, 2013 2:02 PM

battle23 says: RG3 is a grown man, and tore his ACL before. He made his decision to keep playing and not take himself out. It is 100% him.

Actually bozo, it’s on the Head Coach, Mike Shanahan. But thanks for playing.

68. oldirtyman says: Jan 9, 2013 2:04 PM

Doesn’t matter of RG3 misses some games next year, they can still win the NFC East, the teams in that division are all weak!

69. jm91rs says: Jan 9, 2013 2:14 PM

RG3 ran a 4.3 on an already repaired ACL. If he comes back at 4.4 or 4.5 he’ll still be fine. I hope they let him sit the year to recover though. Put him on the designated to return list and if everything looks great at the end of next year let him play a game or two to keep from getting too rusty missing a year.

70. Ponder This says: Jan 9, 2013 2:15 PM

ancylostoma says:Jan 9, 2013 1:27 PM

Ponder This says:
    Jan 9, 2013 1:03 PM

_______

Well, doctor, I was referring to professional athletes, not people who just want to be able to walk down the street. No way Bob is ready to play in an NFL game before training camp.

71. 106reasons says: Jan 9, 2013 2:18 PM

I see a lot of ill-informed opinions, even in the media, about all aspects of the injury. Here are the facts:

1. RG3’s knee was never injured while running the option. I certainly hope that he takes less hits in the future, but the option cannot be blamed for this injury.

2. Shanahan is not a clueless idiot who kept an injured player in. RG3 was medically cleared to play, and had been checked out by Andrews (remember the shot of them going into the locker room?) after his knee was tweaked. Shanahan is going to play his player if that player and the doctor both say the player is ok.

3. Andrews, universally considered the best in the world at what he does, had cleared Robert medically. Period. This is not to say Andrews may not have missed some damage to the LCL, or ACL, but HE — not Shanahan, not Griffin — cleared Robert to play after Cleveland.

4. This is Robert’s second ACL injury, and as such, it is more likely to take MORE time to heal completely, and there’s a chance he may never have the same speed. He will not, however, slow down to the point that he is no longer a weapon. His 4.3/4.4 speed MAY slow to 4.4/4.5. Still fast enough to be special.

5. Robert is a very special young man whose mental game makes him one of the rare people who will succeed long-term against all odds. His same strength of will that could arguably be partially to blame for this injury is a force that cannot be overcome, and I have no doubt that he will return and become one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game.

72. mjkelly77 says: Jan 9, 2013 2:18 PM

lennydpocketqb says:Jan 9, 2013 1:43 PM

bmacwillconn says:

Thanks Mike Shanahan. This is 100% on you. Not the doctor, not RGIII….YOU.

Between Shanahan and Obama I don’t know whose done more to destroy Washington.
    ________________

Actually that would be Mitch McConnell, Boehner, and Paul Ryan who have incessantly attempted to sabotage our economy in an attempt to discredit our President.

73. lancer255 says: Jan 9, 2013 2:21 PM

I don’t understand how Mgmt and the coaching staff could this guy to play. I think it was total lapse in judgement on their part.

74. djohnson757 says: Jan 9, 2013 2:22 PM

Let him sit all of next season!….Cousins is capable of leading us into the playoffs!….How can anyone speculate if Griffins career is over?….Giants, Cowboys, and eagles fans; don’t be so quick to count us out already….we were picked to finish last this season!….if Cousins is good as we hope, what will y’all say next year?…..any given Sunday!…HTTR!

75. jgava19 says: Jan 9, 2013 2:34 PM

And this is why Luck went #1. He will be around a very long time. RG3? Not so much.

76. skins23 says: Jan 9, 2013 2:37 PM

peytonsneck18 says:
    Jan 9, 2013 1:12 PM
    IRG3

peytonsneck18 says:
    Jan 9, 2013 1:14 PM

_______________________________

RG3 in the first quarter on one leg was better than your boy Luck fully healthy.

I told you all year, wait until the Colts get to the playoffs, I can’t wait to bet against them the first round. Let me tell you I was thrilled to clean up nicely on that game.

If I were you, I’d be more worried about the Andrew Luck Sunday scene – aka the average game of 50% completions and 2 turnovers – just what he did Sunday.

RG3 will work his tail off to get back healthy.

77. nflgiant says: Jan 9, 2013 2:38 PM

The coach is being paid big bucks to keep his franchise QB on the field,so what is this moron doing putting him out there to start the 3rd Qtr.Every one of us could see that he was at high risk,on a crappy field and Shanahan is a liar,and sold out his QB.

78. pigbladder says: Jan 9, 2013 2:39 PM

Such a terrible shame. That coaching staff should have better protected the kid from himself. Everyone watching could see, and this is the result.

79. dickwittman says: Jan 9, 2013 2:40 PM

Blame the Cowboys. Romo for the late INT and Hatcher for the hand to the face penalty. RGKnee should have been resting on the couch.

80. mattseas says: Jan 9, 2013 2:45 PM

Rehab has gotten much more aggressive over the years so people are coming back sooner and with less performance loss. But they’re still risking reinjury if they come back too soon even if they can perform. At 6 months the ligament is only 90% even if you feel 100% according to my orthopedist.

81. mdac1012 says: Jan 9, 2013 2:49 PM

Never said the option caused the injury, but QBs who run the option have to rely on their speed and expose themselves to more hits over time.

Running can be a part of his game, like it was for Steve Young or even Elway early in his career. But there is a reason, “running” QBs run less and less over time.

I think RGIII is much more than a running QB, I think he can be a good passer in the NFL, which is all the more reason to run less of the option as the years go on.

I love the option in college, but there you get to replace your QB every 2-4 years.

82. randomguy9999 says: Jan 9, 2013 3:00 PM

Steve Young and Elway aren’t remotely like RG3 or vice versa

scramblers are never franchise QBs

if RG3 actually fully comes back from this, he has to get his head around that

QB’s who go on IR every year because they can’t learn how to be an actual NFL QB are a dime a dozen…..

83. nzyme says: Jan 9, 2013 3:09 PM

I still think this kid can come back successfully from this but ONLY has a pocket passer. That pistol offense cannot be run with him anymore. If Shanny tries it you can kiss RGII’s career goodbye.

84. S.Nevada says: Jan 9, 2013 3:17 PM

RG3 has never been on IR, I don’t know why I keep reading IRG3 etc… Seems like people who post about that have no clue as to what is going on, much like those who post about the Option being the culprit. Maybe they’re just trolls.

85. peytonsneck18 says: Jan 9, 2013 3:22 PM

RIP to IRG3, one and done!!! back to the drawing board, huh logical and other skins fans LOL

86. logicalvoicessays says: Jan 9, 2013 3:27 PM

Well hopefully he lands on my local arena football team, he’s super cute.

87. mdac1012 says: Jan 9, 2013 3:41 PM

I guess people only comprehend what they want when they read posts.

Steve Young and to a lesser extent John Elway (early) ran on occasion, and used their legs to gain first downs. Maybe you don’t remember Steve Young when he first came up with Tampa Bay. The knock on him was he was a “running QB” and wouldn’t be anything else. Those people were obviously wrong.

RGIII can use running like he did, and like Elway did early in his career, as a weapon at certain points in the game.

That’s how he can be like Steve Young and Elway.

88. mungman69 says: Jan 9, 2013 3:52 PM

He won’t be back next year. It would be stupid to push him. Dallas won’t do absolutely nothing. Eli’s arm is shot. That means that the Philadelphia Eagles will win that division.

89. giants56 says: Jan 9, 2013 4:17 PM

RG3 meet Carson Palmer.

90. kurmudge says: Jan 9, 2013 5:17 PM

106reasons, why do you say that the second ACL repair will take longer to rehab? There is nothing inherent about that surgery, especially if they do an allograft, that makes the second repair worse than the first. This is not like losing meniscus, or pitting articular cartilage off of the condyles or tibial plateau causing arthritis.

The ACL has to be replaced because a partially torn ligament inside the joint capsule isn’t going to repair itself, but scar tissue aside (which is mostly a function of surgeon skill), if the graft is well done it shouldn’t be any worse or take longer now than the first time.

But, please correct me if I’m wrong and you have some AAOS studies on graft revisions that I don’t know about.

91. eltex says: Jan 9, 2013 5:19 PM

I think Shanahan did the right thing. Simply put, running QB’s don’t survive in this league. By putting serious issues on RG3 and his knee, Shanny is going to find out quick if RG3 can be a good pocket QB. I applaud him for looking to the future, and making this plan now.

92. washstnative says: Jan 9, 2013 6:11 PM

I am sure Seattle will be happy to trade Flynn for a couple of 1st round choices- oh, nevermind.

RG3 get back soon ! I want a RW RG3 rivalry

GO Hawks!

93. iowahbr says: Jan 9, 2013 8:03 PM

Despite all the talk about whose fault his injury was I just hope all the fans are praying for his quick recovery. He is fun to watch and he and Mr. Wilson bring a new dimension to the game. (yes I know all the NFL purists believe running QBs will somehow kill the NFL.)

94. reedly says: Jan 9, 2013 11:00 PM

I wish RGIII the best in his recovery. Not only did he show amazing skills as a rookie, he also showed amazing poise, grace and maturity in the public eye.

The only slight positive that might come of this is if Cousins gets a little more time taking snaps. He was outstanding filling in for RGIII this season and feel he could be a productive, if not great QB for another team.