Arians interested in Chargers job with Tom Telesco there

Bruce+Arians+Indianapolis+Colts+v+Kansas+City+RI-qZX2mVQNl Getty Images

Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has been released from the hospital, which means that it’s time for him to start talking to teams about head coaching jobs.

One of the teams reportedly interested in Arians is the Chargers. During an interview with 1090 AM in San Diego, Arians said that an interview hasn’t been set up yet but that the team’s decision to hire former Colts exec Tom Telesco as their general manager upped his interest in the job.

“I would be now that Tommy’s there,” Arians said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I think so much of [the] success that teams have are great relationships between general manager and head coach. And it’s not who has control of the roster, it’s how do we get the best players? … I had the opportunity to work for 12 weeks as a head coach this year with Ryan Grigson and Tommy Telesco, and it was a fantastic relationship. And I wouldn’t want to work in any other situation as a head coach, unless it’s that type of relationship where nobody’s got a power player [and] we’re all in this together trying to win.”

Arians has an interview scheduled with the Bears this weekend and said during the interview that he’d like to wrap the process up as quickly as possible. His familiarity with Telesco could make that easier.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
14 Responses to “Arians interested in Chargers job with Tom Telesco there”
  1. larryboodry says: Jan 10, 2013 1:55 PM

Figures.

2. kane337 says: Jan 10, 2013 1:58 PM

3. coltzfan166 says: Jan 10, 2013 2:13 PM

Please don’t leave, Bruce. We actually appreciate you here, unlike those Pittsburg jerks who think they’re better off with Todd Haley.

4. jman667 says: Jan 10, 2013 2:18 PM

I’m convinced this is the guy SD needs. He did great things in Indy under complicated circumstances with a rookie QB. He has a track record of success, and he said the right thing – let’s win this together. Clearly he gets the team concept. Wrap him up and let’s start moving forward.

5. chargersdiehard says: Jan 10, 2013 2:19 PM

Looking forward to drastic changes in philosphy and player treatment when contract negotiations happen. We’ve grown tired of watching talent leave town.

6. jman667 says: Jan 10, 2013 2:23 PM

I’m convinced that this is the guy for the job. He was great in Indy under challenging circumstances. He has a proven track record. And most importantly he’s focused on the team concept on and off the field. Let’s lock him up and start focusing on the future.

7. natelan69 says: Jan 10, 2013 2:32 PM

As a Chargers fan, all I can say is that only time will tell, but that our restless fans will have unreasonably high expectations for immediate success and will not stand for a 2-steps-back-1-step-forward approach.

Obviously wishing Telesco (and our presumed new HC Arians) great success. Our completely disaffected fanbase will try our best to be patient with the tandem new hires.

8. MTLighthouse69 says: Jan 10, 2013 3:07 PM

kane337 said:”I think Bruce will make Phillip Rivers a better QB much like he did with Big Ben. Would be a good hire.”

===

That is not the head coach’s job, that is the job of the offensive coordinator and the QB coach. If Arians is brought in to be the head coach, then it would be up to him and the new GM to bring in an OC and QB coach to work with Rivers.

I don’t want to see anymore of that garbage where the Charger HC is apparently wearing two hats. It didn’t work well with Norv calling plays and at the same time being a head coach.

I hope that the Chargers hire Zimmer. I just have the gut feeling that it would be just too tempting to bring in Arians and have him be a jack of all trades. I don’t want to see that at all. It has failed multiple times and it will most likely fail again.

I want Zimmer brought in to hopefully toughen up the team, and bring some order to the mess. Then the Chargers should search for the best available OC and QB coach.

They also need to keep Charlie Joiner as the wide receivers coach.

There defensive coaching staff is pretty much set.

9. nathanbetz91 says: Jan 10, 2013 3:36 PM

10. vanmorrissey says: Jan 10, 2013 3:47 PM

Ditto lighthouse. Wanted Zimmer last year. Arians has been around awhile so just now he’s getting the interviews? The Telesco/Arians link is too obvious, let’s not go there just for the sake of going there. And Jim Mora, Jr? Sorry, no pizzazz with that hire either.

11. katejake says: Jan 10, 2013 4:10 PM

Zimmers not the answer. The Chargers need a guy to fix that offense. Pagano is got the defense on the right track, just need a pass rusher and a new secondary( Jammar & Cason suck)

12. beauregard says: Jan 10, 2013 5:55 PM

Telesco/Arians gives the Bolts credibility. We in Denver may actually start fearing the Chargers again.
    Sounds like a good move.

13. mikebyrne1502 says: Jan 10, 2013 8:52 PM

I hope people know its going to get better but it’s still going to take a little

14. priestlightning says: Jan 10, 2013 9:03 PM

“Bruce arians deserves a head coaching job for sure.I mean lets face it he took the colts to the playoffs not chuck pagano.furthermore the whole chuck pagano “support” really got out of hand. Yeah he had leukemia and that is horrible but everyone rallied around him like they had close ties to him in Indy when he hadn’t been there for more than half a year”

I see what you’re saying. I don’t know why you got so many thumbs down. I felt the same way.