Titans part ways with another assistant

Frank+Bush+Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Houston+I43-tYEYHTVl Getty Images

Titans owner Bud Adams’ dissatisfaction with the Titans was no secret as the season wound down, but it didn’t wind up costing General Manager Ruston Webster or coach Mike Munchak their jobs.

The same wasn’t true for others in the organization, however. COO Mike Reinfeldt was relieved of his duties and the team fired its third assistant coach since the end of the season on Thursday.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports that the team will not be bringing back linebackers coach Frank Bush in 2013. He joins running backs coach Jim Skipper and tight ends coach John Zernhelt as deposed members of Munchak’s staff, which also jettisoned offensive coordinator Chris Palmer during the season.

Bush was the defensive coordinator in Houston in 2009 and 2010 before getting fired to clear the way for Wade Phillips’ arrival in Houston. The Titans defense struggled across the board in 2012, which doesn’t reflect well on anyone involved with putting the unit together. Akeem Ayers (2011 second-round pick) and Zach Brown (2012 second-round pick) have both developed quickly since being drafted, however, so it isn’t like Bush hasn’t done anything to help the Titans in the last two years.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
13 Responses to “Titans part ways with another assistant”
  1. obie09 says: Jan 10, 2013 12:19 PM

LB was our strongest group all year on the ENTIRE team and it seemed like the young guys made significant improvements.

So let me get this straight we canned the RB coach and LB coach, debatably the two spots that either improved greatly or at least did good with what they had around them(horrid o-line), yet Bruce Matthews and Jerry Gray still have jobs. This makes absolutely zero sense.

2. wizahdry says: Jan 10, 2013 12:21 PM

I’ll never understand how a team can justifiy getting rid of half the coaching staff and keeping the HC. HC is the one who puts the staff together and makes the final decisions. The assistants do just that, they assist. They are just executing and recommending but ultimately the HC is the final decision maker. I’d like to know one instance where cleaning house on assistance with the same HC has ever turned a team around!

3. hybes1 says: Jan 10, 2013 12:28 PM

I didn’t know that Floyd Mayweather Sr was an assistant with the Titans!

4. 2toneblueblood says: Jan 10, 2013 12:46 PM

“Hey, let’s fire the guy responsible for the one group that was a bright spot this past year.” – Titans logic

This is just a way for Munchak to keep his coordinators but look like he’s doing something by firing coaches.

5. titansfan53 says: Jan 10, 2013 12:49 PM

I think Bud wants to fire the head coach, he just doesn’t know the head coach’s name. So, he is randomly firing people until he gets to the right person – process of elimination.

Things look really bright in the future…

6. dbarnes79 says: Jan 10, 2013 12:50 PM

Gray needs to go too. The Titans need a much better D coordinator.

7. nardointhenati says: Jan 10, 2013 1:07 PM

Quick hide Mike Zimmers #!!!

8. rajbais says: Jan 10, 2013 1:19 PM

Frank Bush: the reason why the Texans were never in the playoffs.

You can’t go from def. quality control to coordinator after one year.

That’s an upgrade over the Juan Castillo method.

9. eastofmissball says: Jan 10, 2013 1:34 PM

Tell you what. Being around Bush for a few years myself. He is a good coach. Better yet more than just a coach; his players respect him. He has in my eyes been more of a man that some of these guys may never had around them in their lives. Yes that can cause a problem at times being more of a father figure, but I will take that all day long rather then have your position players maybe feel distant. These guys are pros, but a little more respect goes a long way.

10. titans12thman says: Jan 10, 2013 2:04 PM

I am a life long Oilers/Titans fan, and it would be hard to part ways with Munch as a head coach after only 2 years, he has been loyal to the organization for 30 years. If Jeff Fisher was allowed as many seasons as he was, Munch deserves at least one more. The first year (9-7 by the way) was a lockout, and this year (albeit dismal) was not as bad as the chiefs, eagles, lions, etc…

When he was the O-line coach we were constantly competitive and guys respected him and he has the locker rooms respect right now. With an organization that has the perception of being a little “unstable”, Munch brings the stability we need. If he has another year or two I would bet my pathetic paycheck that he would get us to at least a wild card game.

Don’t forget, Bud Adams may be getting on in age but he has been a Franchise owner longer than most have been alive. He is still a smart man and wants to see his team win the big one before he bites the big one. If we don’t go down the path of raiders and we give the HC some time I believe he will make great improvements in the next couple years. Go Titans!

11. obie09 says: Jan 10, 2013 2:51 PM

“I learned a lot from him,’’ Brown said of Bush. “He always pushed me to get better, and he helped me out a lot. Without Frank Bush, I don’t think I would have had nearly as good a rookie year as I had. Everybody says behind a great player there is a great coach.”

Second-year linebacker Akeem Ayers led the team with 101 tackles in 2012, and he also had six sacks and eight quarterback pressures. Middle linebacker Colin McCarthy missed nine games with injuries, however.

“It was a shock to me. I thought we’d keep Frank Bush,’’ Brown said. “I thought the linebackers did well. But I guess that’s the business. I wish him well, though.”

12. wikipediasaidso says: Jan 10, 2013 3:48 PM

wizahdry | Jan 10, 2013, 11:21 AM CST
    ===============

Munchak got the job on a delayed timeline given it looked at first like Fisher was staying another year, and it was during the lockout. He didn’t even have a viable QB at the time. Not the best circumstances for assembling a “first choice” staff. Also, probably the reason he went with veteran coaches vs. first-time coordinators. Still, they did ok in 2011.

2012 was supposed to be the year where the coordinators got to really show what they could do with a full offseason with the players. Bad results.

Jerry Gray should follow Chris Palmer out the door, IMO. And if the coordinators are going, the assistants under them are on thin ice, too. So maybe it’s just a sign that they’re also talking to new DC candidates. One can only hope.

As for keeping the HC and changing assistants, it can work sometimes. Kubiak looks better with Phillips. Fisher made the Super Bowl after he was forced early on to turn over some staff. But for sure, this is probably Munchak’s last chance.

13. rascalmanny says: Jan 10, 2013 9:53 PM

What do Titans fans have to get excited about next season? We’re still gonna have CJ, Britt, and Griffin for another year.

Not to mention Bud….who gave us VY and set the team back and divided the fan base and locker room.

And then the Titans draft a QB with accuracy issues? We already HAD that with VY.

The Titans are just STUPID.