Tom Clements interviewing with Bears Thursday

Tom+Clements+2011+NFC+Championship+Green+Bay+fc7dtpvzeE3l Getty Images

Packers offensive coordinator Tom Clements will have to turn his attention away from the 49ers for a little bit on Thursday.

Michael C. Wright of ESPNChicago.com reports that Clements is going to interview with the Bears for their head coaching job before the Packers head out to San Francisco for Saturday night’s game against the 49ers. Clements had been the Packers’ quarterbacks coach for six years before getting bumped up after Joe Philbin left for Miami, a period that’s seen the Bears lose nine of their 14 matchups with the Packers.

Clements won’t be the only candidate slipping away from playoff prep to talk to Bears General Manager Phil Emery. The Bears are slated to interview Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison on Friday and Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell on Saturday before each of those men coach their teams in the Divisional Round. Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is slated for Sunday.

As you’ve likely surmised, it’s a list heavy on the offensive minds. No wonder quarterback Jay Cutler is so excited about the way the coaching search is unfolding.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Tom Clements interviewing with Bears Thursday”
  1. mavajo says: Jan 10, 2013 2:53 PM

I hate this. Seriously, are you kidding me? Two days away from a road playoff game on the other side of the country, and this guy’s going on a job interview? I don’t know about you, but when I’m interviewing for a job, it’s more than a little distracting. Not to mention prep time for it, etc.

How does that NOT distract from his coaching responsibilities this week? HATE this crap.

2. bartlettruss says: Jan 10, 2013 3:08 PM

Like they say, if the last coach was fat the next one will be skinny. That said, if you’re dead set on hiring an OC for HC this is a pretty good list.

3. shaggytoodle says: Jan 10, 2013 3:19 PM

I agree its a distraction.

It’s also kind of frustrating, because he only has been OC for one year, after Philbin left for Mia.
    I guess that’s what happens when you are surrounded by great coaches and scouts though.
    They wind up getting chances else where, like McKenzie in Oak.

I just hope the Packers don’t get too thin in those areas with everyone getting opportunities.

4. illiniftw says: Jan 10, 2013 3:27 PM

Hopefully it screws with the Pack, their O looks flat, and they lose! The only thing Bears fans have left to cheer about this year :(

5. schmitty2 says: Jan 10, 2013 3:28 PM

What makes this extra hard to fathom is not only is he interviewing 2 days before a road playoff game..it’s that he’s interviewing with one of the Pack’s most hated rivals

6. larryboodry says: Jan 10, 2013 3:29 PM

He probably wants to make a good impression on Emery now, before SF dismantles the Pack on Saturday.

7. blackandbluedivision says: Jan 10, 2013 3:33 PM

larryboodry says:
    Jan 10, 2013 3:29 PM
    _________________
    +2 lol.

8. themagicfanguy says: Jan 10, 2013 3:40 PM

@larry like they dismantled The Rams and Vikings? You know, those mediocre teams that GB beat easily?

9. rca26 says: Jan 10, 2013 3:46 PM

Packer fans would probably be more concerned about this timing if Clements actually had anything to do with their offensive success.

10. thejohnsmith1122 says: Jan 10, 2013 3:59 PM

From my perspective, I don’t think Clements has done enough to prove he will succeed at HC. He only had a year at OC and their offense was limp at times earlier in the season.

11. salukis92 says: Jan 10, 2013 4:25 PM

r u kidding me?!?! Interviewing a few days before a playoff game? He’s only an OC on name only. McCarthy does that. He’s never even called offensive plays in the NFL! McCarthy does that too!!! The Bears are pulling an Al Davis marathon interview schedule. Plus, why not pull ur arch rivals’s coach away a few days before a playoff game and interrogate h about “how they do things in Green Bay”.

12. jwcarlson says: Jan 10, 2013 4:52 PM

It weighs heavy on Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy providing talent for the entire NFC North.

13. purpleisaprettycolor says: Jan 10, 2013 5:02 PM

salukis92 says:
    Jan 10, 2013 4:25 PM
    ———————————————–
    LOL @ everyone who gave thumbs up to this benign comment. Do your homework before u post. Clements was offensive coordinator in Buffalo in ’04 and ’05. He called the plays under coach Mularkey.

14. chi01town says: Jan 10, 2013 6:06 PM

Lets get this strait RIGHT NOW!! Chicago dont want this guy BUT its
    a good distraction cause belive this..
    The Bears dont want greenbay to go
    no further in these playoffs and anything they can do to help the 49ers PUT THE PACKERS OUT!! they will do ha ha ha

15. larryboodry says: Jan 10, 2013 6:25 PM

chi01town says: Jan 10, 2013 10:05 AM

“Cutler is a pro bowl QB and all he do is WIN. so for every packers fan and Larryboodry who keeps trying to talk down on him if you dont like him dont watch. this is about football NOT going out with the guy.”

Dude, how ’bout actually reading my posts before calling me out as a hater…I am one of the biggest Cutler fans on here, as I’m sure everyone else has figured out by now.

16. larryboodry says: Jan 10, 2013 6:41 PM

@chi01town:

How can I take any of your posts seriously when you insist on calling me – one of the biggest Jay Cutler fans and Bears homers on here – someone who ‘keeps trying to talk down’ on Jay and the team? This tells me you don’t comprehend well, and frankly you embarrass yourself with every post.

Just sayin’.

17. gbmickey says: Jan 10, 2013 6:51 PM

Dont feel bad larry ever board has its trolls and chitown is one that stands out.

18. hedphurst says: Jan 10, 2013 7:01 PM

I have a gig feeling that this guy could be a really good coach. I’ve been wishing my Browns would hire him in some capacity for a couple years now. I thought he’d make a great OC a couple years ago, and now that he’s out from under Philbin’s shadow in GB, I’m not surprise he’s getting HC interviews. The guy most involved with Aaron Rodgers’ development has to be worth a flier in my opinion.

19. larryboodry says: Jan 10, 2013 7:04 PM