Gonzalez sticks to his retirement pledge, sort of

Gonzalez AP

Last week, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis parlayed his sudden pledge to retire into a rousing victory in what necessarily was his final home game.

This week, Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez could help the Falcons get a little extra lift from a similar situation.  With a few exceptions.  First, while he has been a key member of the team since 2009, Gonzalez doesn’t have nearly the same connection to the Falcons that Lewis has to the Ravens.  Second, this won’t be Gonzalez’s final home game — if Atlanta wins, they’ll host the NFC title game.

And, third, Gonzalez has still left the door open, even if it’s just a crack.

“It’s one and done if we don’t win, [so] for me, this could be it,” Gonzalez said Thursday, via Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  “There is no tomorrow.  There is no saying, ‘We’ll get them next year.’  It’s about going out there and finishing on the right note.”

But he said “this could be it,” not “this will be it.”  And he has continued to say, all year long, that he’s 95-percent certain that he will be retiring.  (Yes, 95 percent.  A number that isn’t nearly as high as most of us used to think it was.)

Given that he has no postseason wins and the Falcons despite five straight winning seasons haven’t won a playoff game, it’s hard to imagine Gonzalez riding off into the sunset when the light is being provided not by the setting sun but by the wreckage of yet another season of unfulfilled expectations.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
15 Responses to “Gonzalez sticks to his retirement pledge, sort of”
  1. arrowhead816 says: Jan 11, 2013 9:02 AM

All I want to know is, is he still going to retire as a Chief, liked he promised?

Him retiring as a Chief means, alot to us Chiefs fans.

2. kluuuuuuuuug says: Jan 11, 2013 9:21 AM

If he wins a Super Bowl in ATL, would have to think he goes out a Falcon

3. broadstbully says: Jan 11, 2013 9:22 AM

I could be wrong, but I think he was referring to the game when he said “this could be it”, not retirement. I think he’ll definitely retire after this season. But if they win this game, it’s technically not “it”, since, as you pointed out, they’ll host another game next week.

4. wabbitslayer says: Jan 11, 2013 9:23 AM

No, he’s going to retire with the Falcons, the team that he got his SB ring with!!!

5. jredshoes says: Jan 11, 2013 9:25 AM

Scott Piolis horrible legacy was cemented the day he allow 88 to walk out of Arrowhead. I couldn’t care less about the Falcons but I hope they win it all for Tony G.

6. JMil_ATL says: Jan 11, 2013 9:33 AM

Could he not retire with half and half uniform like Mrs. Babineaux wears when her sons play each other?

7. merrimanku says: Jan 11, 2013 9:39 AM

I was fortunate enough to watch TG play growing up here in KC. In my opinion, if he wins the Super Bowl with Atlanta, as a Chiefs fan, I would not have a problem with him retiring as a Falcon. It doesn’t really matter to me which team he retires with. I’m just happy that I get to watch him play each week.

8. steelerben says: Jan 11, 2013 9:45 AM

That’s just reading too much into it. I mean, he said this could be the end. You know, unless they win. In which case it wouldn’t be.

9. 8to80texansblog says: Jan 11, 2013 9:49 AM

He’s a Chief and should sign a one day contract with the Chiefs and then announce his retirement. He should also go in the Hall as a Chief.

Greatest TE to ever put on the pads…

10. meldrel says: Jan 11, 2013 10:04 AM

Thanks Pioli for trading Tony Gonzalez – one of many horrendous moves by the former GM.

I still wear my Chiefs number 88 jersey with pride. Whatever Tony does in the future I wish him the best!

11. dontfeedgigantor says: Jan 11, 2013 10:16 AM

“It’s one and done if we don’t win, [so] for me, this could be it,” as in, “If we win, then I’ll play at least one more game.”

Doesn’t sound like a guy who doesn’t intend to retire after this year.

12. wwwfugu says: Jan 11, 2013 11:30 AM

With all due respect, that last paragraph/sentence needs a great deal of work to meet any minimum standard of good writing.

On the other hand, it elicited the best laugh we got out of the article.

13. slobmykolb says: Jan 11, 2013 11:46 AM

Are you suggesting that the dirty birds are going to lose on Sunday? Who the hell do you think you are (sarc)! I do think they will ride off into the sunset and tony g will retire with a Super Bowl ring!

14. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 11, 2013 12:09 PM

Just please go away, one and done this weekend, no playoff wins, still a HOF.

15. roddytorock84 says: Jan 11, 2013 3:06 PM

I understand chiefs gripe about Tony being traded but you have to realize Tony asked for it. He wanted to play for a contender. No offense your team was rebuilding. He knew he was running out of time and couldn’t wait thru another rebuilding process.