Jay Gruden to interview with Eagles, Chargers

Jay Gruden AP

Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden will be a busy man in the days ahead.

The Eagles have announced that they will meet with Gruden on Monday as they continue to seek a replacement for the fired Andy Reid. Gruden has been mentioned before as a candidate for the Philly job (as has his big brother Jon Gruden), but this is the first time the Eagles have formally announced that he is a candidate.

And Gruden will also interview with the Chargers for their head-coaching vacancy, NFL Network’s Albert Breer reports. Gruden joins former Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, former Bears head coach Lovie Smith and Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley as the known candidates for the San Diego job.

The 45-year-old Gruden has been the Bengals’ offensive coordinator for two seasons. He previously served as an offensive assistant on his big brother’s staff in Tampa, and he has also been a head coach in Arena Football, as well as being an MVP quarterback in Arena Football.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Jay Gruden to interview with Eagles, Chargers”
  1. chc4 says: Jan 11, 2013 7:17 PM

Why is this guy a hot commodity? Either he sucks or Andy Dalton does. Quite possibly both. How do they not target AJ Green for an entire half of a playoff game? Insane.

2. kjt929 says: Jan 11, 2013 7:18 PM

That’s arena not the pros idiots out there who think he can play worth crap.

3. pooflingingmonkey says: Jan 11, 2013 7:21 PM

Not a great choice in my opinion. He’s not bad, but Andy Dalton appears to be regressing a little, and Cincy’s offensive game plan isn’t exactly revolutionary?

I think Philly can do considerably better.

4. bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 11, 2013 7:22 PM

Lmao this is hilarious anyone from the Cincinnati organization is a joke i hope eagles sign this guy an they will be a joke of an organization for many yrs to come oh wait they already are.

5. mazblast says: Jan 11, 2013 7:25 PM

Either (1) I’m missing something and the Bagels’ offense isn’t a mediocre at best as it’s looked under Gruden’s regime, (2) these teams are seeing something in him that isn’t apparent, (3) they’re hallucinating, or (4) they’re trying to keep his big brother happy and praising them. There is NOTHING to recommend this guy based on his performance with the Bugles other than he’s not his predecessor, Bob Bratkowski.

6. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 11, 2013 7:28 PM

I like how you put the Arena League MVP thing in there.

I imagine he’d go in there and say to Philip Rivers “Listen Phil, when I was quarterbacking the Wichita Wuff Riders to the AFL championship, winning the MVP in the process, I developed this little known trick to throw off defenses….what I’d do is, before the snap, I’d drop McDonald’s coupons on the turf and when the linemen dove for them it bought me a little extra time in the pocket….now let’s go win a Super Bowl!”

7. stevincinci says: Jan 11, 2013 7:31 PM

Hope he lands one of the gigs. Still can’t figure out why Zimmer isn’t getting , more interviews. Apparently more valuable as a DC.

8. easyrider1903 says: Jan 11, 2013 7:38 PM

He could coach & play QB with the Eagles

9. fmwarner says: Jan 11, 2013 7:39 PM

bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 11, 2013 7:22 PM

==============================

Did I just hear a Bengals fan call the Eagles organization a joke? I couldn’t have, because the irony would have exploded the internet.

10. ace8842 says: Jan 11, 2013 7:40 PM

As an Eagles fan I’ll take a pass. Heck, I’d rather have Jon than Jay Gruden…

11. bucslose says: Jan 11, 2013 7:42 PM

Im not sold on him but I guess he deserves a shot. And who else is really out there at this point actively looking for a HC job?

I dont envy the teams that have had to fill the HC, OC positions so far. Not much to choose from.

12. 3fingerlenny says: Jan 11, 2013 7:42 PM

Philly always get the wrong brother

13. mungman69 says: Jan 11, 2013 7:43 PM

No one really wants this guy, do they?

14. ncbengalmike says: Jan 11, 2013 7:58 PM

pooflingingmonkey says:
    Jan 11, 2013 7:21 PM
    I think Philly can do considerably better.
    —————————————————-
    Yep, Dalton regressed to better completion %, TD to INT ratio and total yards.

Can Philly do better? Yes. But your poo flinging missed the mark a bit here

15. johnnyb1976 says: Jan 11, 2013 7:59 PM

I love all if these bengals sucks and bungles comment.. Makes me wonder who your teams are? I’m sure you’re proud fans of the browns or jaguars or maybe just maybe the bills… Go jump of a bridge you will feel better about yourself.

16. ppc50 says: Jan 11, 2013 8:00 PM

Wait, I thought Lovie Smith was heading to Dallas to be the DC. Oh yeah, instead Jones picked a 72 year old defensive “guru.”

17. whodeytn says: Jan 11, 2013 8:08 PM

You’re all idiots.

18. whodeytn says: Jan 11, 2013 8:10 PM

You’re all making fun of the Bengals even though they’ve made the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years.

Look up how many teams have done that then get back to me.

Here’s a hint: the eagles aren’t one of them. Because they’re terrible.

19. daknight93 says: Jan 11, 2013 8:12 PM

why are teams wasting time interviewing this guy…Jay didn’t involve the best player on the team A.J. Green in the playoff loss to the Texans..A.J. Green was practically a non factor in the offense..smh

20. icanspeel says: Jan 11, 2013 8:14 PM

Big difference between interviewing him and hiring him. Teams just taking a look to see what he has to offer. If he actually gets hired he must have nailed the interview though.

21. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jan 11, 2013 8:19 PM

fmwarner says:
    Jan 11, 2013 7:39 PM
    bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 11, 2013 7:22 PM

==============================

——————————————–

Dude, try reading next time. His user name is “BengalsStillSuck”. He’s a troll that targets the Bengals. That said, please tell me how the Eagles are better than the Bengals. The Bengals are 8-3-1 against the Eagles all time, we have more playoff appearences in the past 4 years, and we crushed your team 34-13 this year. Maybe you’re talking about Superbowls? Oh wait…the Bengals and Eagles are both 0-2 in the big game.

Now please. Tell me how the Bengals are a joke compared to the Eagles.

22. kingbowen says: Jan 11, 2013 8:28 PM

bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 11, 2013 7:22 PM

Your just mad because your browns suck worse and are ALWAYS at the bottom of the division and are constantly rebuilding and a constant loser. Im from ohio and I just wish that both the browns and the bengals turn into consistent teams at least the bengals go to the playoffs yeah they lose in the playoffs but at least they go your browns always max out at most 5 wins per year as for hoping the eagles sign him the eagles are better year in and year out than your brownies I guess you just hope that there will be a worse team than yours it must really be hard to be a fan of either ohio team but its funny to see a browns fan talk smack

23. jayc0478 says: Jan 11, 2013 8:34 PM

One could also say, Why interview him if you aren’t considering him for the job? As an employer I wouldn’t interview someone that wasn’t in the running for the job. Its a complete waste of time.

24. bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 11, 2013 8:35 PM

No im not a bengals fan an yea the bengals made the payoffs 3 out of 4 yrs an embarrassed thereselves the eagles an bengals are both the jokes of the NFL.

25. chiefnofoldem says: Jan 11, 2013 8:36 PM

As an Eagles fan I do not want this Gruden or Jon Gruden.

I still do not understand this hype about Jon Gruden.

How good was Jon Gruden’s draft as coach with TB?
    How good is he with developing QBs? Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, and Josh Johnson.

I would be all for him as the Eagles coach if we were talking after 2003 when they lost to Panthers in NFC Championship game or 2008 when they lost to Cardinals in NFC Championship game.

26. gettingseattled says: Jan 11, 2013 8:40 PM

Aside from the wild card game this year (good lord, why in the fc&$k didn’t AJ Green see the ball in that game), I have been very impressed with the track record of Jay Gruden. He has taken a deficient offense on a team with no expectation and created a winner. I hold this dude in high regard.

Honestly, my only knock on this him is that he shares a bloodline with ‘spider 2 Y banana’.

27. konichiwabtches says: Jan 11, 2013 8:42 PM

Ill take him in SD for one simple reason, brotherly rivalry.
    You don’t think he’s motivated to succeed just because of your brother?
    Look at the mannings and the harbaughs.

28. notor23 says: Jan 11, 2013 8:43 PM

Bears aren’t interviewing him? Man, I thought Phil Emery was on top of things…he needs to do his due diligence and interview some more guys if he wants to find the right HC.

29. djstat says: Jan 11, 2013 8:44 PM

Brian Billick would be better

30. datmilehighswagistoodamnhigh says: Jan 11, 2013 8:47 PM

good i hope he does wind up in SD so him and phyliss cry me a rivers can run that archaic west coast wanna be offense. Jay gruden is getting alotta buz cuz of his name. Not only did they leave green outta the gameplan against houston but where was Gresham? Cincys offense scared no one. Its bland and safe and boring. whens the last time they blew out anyone of any once of relevance?

31. kgun80 says: Jan 11, 2013 9:00 PM

@fmwarner
    bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 11, 2013 7:22 PM

==============================

——————————————————–
    Hahaha really? Besides the usual classless Philly fan comment you are just not that smart the posters name is bengalsstillsuck!! He’s obviously not a Bengals fan.. Add illiterate to the list of problems for Eagles fans

32. chasestern says: Jan 11, 2013 9:14 PM

whodeytn | Jan 11, 2013, 8:10 PM EST

Look up how many teams have done that then get back to me.

Here’s a hint: the eagles aren’t one of them. Because they’re terrible.
    ————————-
    Anybody want to take a wild guess, just seriously, plenty of teams to choose from, a wild guess at which team has gone the longest without winning a single postseason game in the NFL?

Hmmm. I’ll give you a hint. It’s the Bengals at 22 seasons.

Thanks for playing ya tool.

33. therealtrenches says: Jan 11, 2013 9:21 PM

hasn’t he proclaimed his intention to stay with the Bengals??

34. patssteelersorgiants says: Jan 11, 2013 9:28 PM

Um, maybe he meant to apply for the Philadelphia Soul?

35. nfceastisbeast says: Jan 11, 2013 10:25 PM

Someone. Please help me here. Didn’t he already say he is staying in Cinncy?

36. iamjimmyjack says: Jan 11, 2013 11:37 PM

Come to usc and be our oc

37. t8ertot says: Jan 12, 2013 12:38 AM

Good riddance. Your game plan against the Texans was a joke

38. stonedwhitetrash says: Jan 12, 2013 12:50 AM

I just love that Jon Gruden so much he is the best color man ever

39. reasonablemindsays says: Jan 12, 2013 1:47 AM

Here, here! Hear yee all! Who of ye coaches shall decide to partake in the plethora of success that will be dream team 3.0?

It’s not even a question that the Eagles will dominate next year. Less than 13 wins is a disappointment. Now that the aging walrus lard is out of the way, the hall of fame level talent on this roster will come together and dominate as the prophecy has fortold.

Images have formed in the constellations shaping the long flowing brown hair of the future hall of famer Nick Foles. The North star is shining as bright as its ever been. Everything is falling in place for the Eagles to play the best season of football the world has ever seen. It will be biblical.

40. hasbeennotneverwas says: Jan 12, 2013 4:04 AM

The guy has won everywhere he’s been. The Bengals went to the Playoffs back-to-back seasons first time since 1982 with a rookie QB, rookie WR and no Offensive Line! Playing against the Steelers Defense, Ravens Defense, and Browns Defense twice. Who should Eagles have hired Chudzinski??? Did not even making the playoffs back to back seasons, playing against the Saints Defense, Bucs Defense, and Falcons Defense twice…give me a break! You want to talk serious ball, talk serious ball! The guy is a winner, regardless where he’s been unlike some of these other coaches. Hire the guy!

41. mungman69 says: Jan 12, 2013 6:33 AM

He will stay in Cincy. No one really wants him, do they.

42. jayc0478 says: Jan 12, 2013 8:55 AM

Gresham dropped nearly everything that came his way vs Houston. He wasn’t left out. Gruden’s offense did put up nearly 400 yds of O and 23 points vs Denver. I guess that’s bland and safe to you. The O was in a slump for a few games. Problem is it happened at the most important time of the year.

43. oldbyrd says: Jan 12, 2013 9:36 AM

Please not him. PLEASE

44. MTLighthouse69 says: Jan 12, 2013 10:27 AM

It looks like the Chargers are leaving no stone unturned. I am glad to read that they are interviewing a bunch of potential head coaching candidates. I am just hoping that they hire the right guy.

45. brassknuckles47 says: Jan 12, 2013 11:03 AM

Are you kidding!!!??? Bengals offense was mediocre, at best. The Chargers dont need another supposed ‘offensive genius’ as HC. And certainly dont need one that lives strictly off of the family name.

46. joetoronto says: Jan 13, 2013 7:20 AM

daknight93 says:
    Jan 11, 2013 8:12 PM
    ***************************************************

Who was playing QB, Gruden or Dalton?

Remember, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, and the problem is your QB.