Bucs GM says everyone understands stance on Freeman

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik has given no indication he intends to extend quarterback Josh Freeman’s contract, allowing him to walk into the final year of his deal in 2013.

But he said Monday that Freeman and his representatives understood what was going on, and there was no ill will between Freeman and the team.

“With Josh, I think the main thing is that no one is in a hurry,” Dominik told Steve Duemig of 620-AM, via the Tampa Bay Times. “I’m not in a hurry as general manager of the football team. I’ve talked to his representation. No one’s in a hurry to push anything through because he wants to maximize his ability and we want to make sure with everything that’s going on. So it’s more about a comfort level. There’s nothing adversarial about it. It’s all positive. It’s been good communication between everyone.”

Freeman had a solid bounce-back year (more like 2010 than 2011), but much of his good work was undone with a late-season slide.

Bucs coach Greg Schiano said after the regular season that he thought Freeman could win Super Bowls, but stopped short of even saying Freeman was assured the starting job, saying he still had to “evaluate” things.

Evaluating worked out OK for Mike Shanahan this year. And if Freeman can play the way he did in 2010 and the majority of this season, it could result in a more lucrative payday for him as well.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20 Responses to “Bucs GM says everyone understands stance on Freeman”
  1. bigbrad184 says: Jan 14, 2013 8:04 PM

How did Mike Shanahan work his way into the end of this article? I’m not sure I see the connection.

2. gatherspeed says: Jan 14, 2013 8:09 PM

Mike Shanahan?

3. gator2006 says: Jan 14, 2013 8:16 PM

Because Shanahan said he was going to evaluate his team for the remainder of what was then a 3-6 season. Still a stretch.

4. 3rdstringsuperhero says: Jan 14, 2013 8:18 PM

C’mon people.
    Yes Mike Shanahan.
    He said he was evaluating the team at the bye when the Skins were 3-6, and that turned into 10-6.
    See the connection?

5. fdugrad says: Jan 14, 2013 8:35 PM

I think the Shanahan reference was confusing was because the Bucs coach and GM are talking about evaluating their QB, and Shanahan seemed to be talking about evaluating everyone BUT his QB for inclusion on next year’s team.

6. freemantowilliams says: Jan 14, 2013 8:41 PM

I like freeman I really do (look at my screen name) but…. There’s this guy playing at Texas A&M that looks like he’s gonna be a great one. With the success that some of these younger guys are having (kap, Wilson, rg3) I just feel like its time to move on after next season. Now if freeman comes out next year and really lights it up my mind will change.

7. brianmath1 says: Jan 14, 2013 8:57 PM

Joe R from largo thinks the world of josh I have been telling him this is not your future qb lol lol

8. khuxford says: Jan 14, 2013 9:06 PM

I wish the Jets would fix the draft mistake they made and find a way to get the Bucs to take Sanchez and a pick for Freeman.

No, I’m not one of those irrational fans…I know it ain’t gonna happen and isn’t realistic in any sense. It’s just a wish. And, yes, I’ve already tried that experiment of wishing in one hand, thank you very much.

9. jwreck says: Jan 14, 2013 9:21 PM

freemantowilliams says: Jan 14, 2013 8:41 PM

_______
    So your plan is to ditch your 6’6 first round quarterback, who has proven himself a more than capable NFL starter, after 2013; so that you can tank your 2014 season in order to draft un(NFL)proven 6’1 Jonny Manziel (presuming he comes out as a junior, which is highly doubtful).

I’m not saying Manziel won’t succeed at the NFL level, but starting a “Don’t do well for Manziel” campaign after his freshman year is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard.

Also, if anybody can come with anything better than “Don’t do well for Manziel” I want to hear it, because mine sucks.

10. silentcount says: Jan 14, 2013 9:48 PM

I see Tebow going to Tampa Bay… and them winning more games than Jacksonville.

11. mackcarrington says: Jan 14, 2013 10:09 PM

He would be welcome in Buffalo! Thank you Mr. Dominik !!!

12. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Jan 14, 2013 10:11 PM

Saying you’re going to evaluate one player in the offseason is far different than saying you’re going to evaluate an entire time in the middle of a season.

13. bucfan4lyfe says: Jan 14, 2013 10:44 PM

Freeman flashes greatness at times but at the end of the day the guy is just too inconsistent. I tried to stick with him, and I understand he’s had a couple different offensive coordinators but enough is enough. Next year (hopefully) after a bit of continuity with the offensive play calling, hopefully he steps it up.

14. rajbais says: Jan 14, 2013 11:28 PM

Trade him!!!

You have a “new head coach” so get him “his” QB!!

Freeman = One-hit wonder!!!

15. Nic says: Jan 15, 2013 12:15 AM

Of course Freeman’s representation is okay with waiting; they know as much as the Bucs do that his body of work so far proves he can be extended for a box of Cracker Jacks and a pair of Busch Gardens tix. They’re hoping he finally gets it this year so he can go after that Brees money…

16. bucdaddy72 says: Jan 15, 2013 12:20 AM

I am a Bucs fan but I would have to say Josh Freeman is not a leader. His play style seems to soft, he needs to be more aggressive and use his athletic ability to give his receivers time to get open. Martin is great a great running back, now we only need a quarterback!

17. preakin says: Jan 15, 2013 12:21 AM

I’m a die hard buc fan, and the majority of buc fans are morons. Lets see, lets cut a guy who just threw for 4,000 yards, 27 tds (both buc single season records), has 12 comeback victories in 3 1/2 seasons, gave his team the lead with 2 min to go in 4 games that should have been wins, but the worst secondary in NFL history lost for him. As a hardcore buc fan, 12963 career passing yards (alltime leader in buc history) at 24 years old, I’m gonna go on a limb and say we should keep the kid. As a die die die hard buc fan, he is my teams future, this team needs him, and we don’t need idiot buc fans like the ones that want him gone. Dominik is doing the same thing they are doing to flacco in baltiimore, and look how thats turning out.

18. dabearsk says: Jan 15, 2013 12:58 AM

I don’t get Freeman’s inconsistency…especially since he has a strong oline and some tools with vjax, etc..but there aren’t enough qbs…so they will eventually pay him. The whole spread option thing..watch how the defenses change some of their teachings to start stopping it..you saw what happened with RGIII…punish the QB for running..and keep him in the pocket..I know it’s easier said than done, but defenses have to adjust with these guys and they will next year… Kapernick is 6’4″ 240ish so like Cam he can take beating..but eventually the hits add up..

19. dabearsk says: Jan 15, 2013 1:00 AM

Johnny Football is just the next Tim Tebow…so to think hey let’s dump Freeman and pick up a couple of cheaper spread option qbs just ain’t gonna work.

20. tbtrojan says: Jan 15, 2013 1:33 AM

Why do people think Freeman played well during most of the past season?
    Even during his great games he sucked for very large periods, he simply isn’t very good but manages to get on hot streaks like a blind squirell finding 2 nuts in a row.
    Take the KC game where he put up his season best QB rating
    Drive 1 – 1 of 3 for 6 yards and an INT
    Drive 2 – 1 of 3 for 13 yards
    Drive 3 – 1 of 1 for a 62 yard TD (Williams makes a great catch and does the majority of the work)
    Drive 4 – 2 of 6 for 41 yards
    1st half – 5 of 13 for 122 1 TD and 1 INT and this is his “best game?”
    In the 2nd half Underwoods 62 yard catch was off a deflection due to a poor pass (LUCK)
    He had a nice stat line for some games but hardly had any great games.
    The just doesn’t have it