Gonzalez breaks a pair of streaks Sunday

Divisional Playoffs - Seattle Seahawks v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Much had been made about the playoff drought the Falcons ended yesterday, the  one that went back to the 2008 debut of quarterback Matt Ryan, coach Mike Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff in Atlanta.

But when Tony Gonzalez, whose own streak lasted more than a decade beyond that, finally broke his personal drought, things got a little damp.

I was on the ground crying like a little baby,” Gonzalez said, via Michael Cunninngham of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “It was just so emotional — dips, highs and lows. It drains you. But I will take it. I will do it again next week if I have to.”

In his 16-year NFL career, Sunday’s win over the Seahawks was just his sixth playoff game (three during his 12 years with the Chiefs, and the previous two with the Falcons).

After so many years of disappointment, he was afraid he was in for another when Marshawn Lynch’s touchdown gave the Seahawks a 28-27 lead with 31 seconds left. He’s still holding onto his “95 percent” retirement pledge, knowing he might not come this close again.

“I was thinking on the sideline, ‘I guess this is it. This is how I’m going to go out,’” Gonzalez said. “That’s why I was so emotional. And then all of a sudden, it’s not [over]. You are back in it.”

Gonzalez had a big part in that, with the catch that preceded Matt Bryant’s game-winning field goal.

“Probably the best catch I’ve ever had and probably one of the easiest,” Gonzalez said. “[Ryan] put it right in my chest. It’s the most important catch I’ve had in my life. I will never forget it. It was wonderful.”

After waiting so long for it, there’s no wonder the emotion overcame him.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Gonzalez breaks a pair of streaks Sunday”
  1. nola5712 says: Jan 14, 2013 7:41 AM

As a Saints fan I’m bred to hate everything that is the Falcons. But that hate is nothing compared to the respect I have for Tony Gonzales. if anybody on that team is nothing but class it’s him. If Atlanta happens to make it to the Super Bowl, in our house no less(sigh), and they happen to win? The fact that Tony Gonzales will have earned his very deserved ring will make it hurt a little less

2. hotkarlsandwich says: Jan 14, 2013 7:44 AM

One of the good guys

3. mikeheruki says: Jan 14, 2013 7:54 AM

Glad for him. One of the guys you never hear about taking a gun into a club or skirmishing out in the street.

Wish there were more like him.

4. fuglyflorio says: Jan 14, 2013 8:13 AM

The third streak was the number of lifetime streaks we have to constantly hear about.

5. wardennorton402410 says: Jan 14, 2013 8:53 AM

Congratulations on the win Tony! Now let’s finish this thing right so you can go out as a champion!

6. grendelg says: Jan 14, 2013 9:00 AM

He’s a class act and I hope he comes back no matter what happens. He’s still playing great and had one of his best years ever.

7. heronemus13 says: Jan 14, 2013 9:10 AM

“Gonzalez said it was the first time he ever cried after a game, with good reason.”

That’s not true. I used to have a color picture cut from the Kansas City Star of Tony G crying like a baby with a caption thata said Chiefs derailed by Gannonball Express

8. footballchic777 says: Jan 14, 2013 10:46 AM

Kudos to Gonzales. I was thrilled to see Atlanta get this win, and especially Gonzales. He is truly one of the great guys in football. You could see the strain on his face every time they showed his face throughout the game yesterday, and it was great to see him appreciate it sooooo much! Hope they win it all!

9. jody46 says: Jan 14, 2013 7:55 PM

I loved him in kc and in Atlanta. A great guy who doesn’t care that he let his emotions take over and I will root for atlanta all the way for him.

10. ruffridin says: Jan 14, 2013 9:41 PM