Report: Bears job down to three

Phil Emery AP

Bears G.M. Phil Emery has traded in his shotgun for a scalpel.

According to David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune, at least one of the baker’s dozen candidates for the head-coaching job has been told that only two will be brought to Halas Hall for a second interview.

The process starts on Tuesday.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported earlier tonight that one of them will be Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.  Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the other is Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman.

On Friday, FOX’s Jimmy Johnson peed on Jay Glazer’s tree, declaring on Twitter that Trestman will get the job.

Emery has been criticized in some circles for using a coaching search as a pretext for picking brains.  Others say that he’s merely being thorough.

Either way, it’s now down to two.

UPDATE 9:53 p.m. ET:  Make that three.  Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is a finalist, too.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Report: Bears job down to three”
  1. tone360 says: Jan 14, 2013 8:24 PM

NOT BEVELL. I’m not sure I can take that kind of a swat at my manhood.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 14, 2013 8:24 PM

Papa Bear’s style was just too hard. So there are only two candidates left.

3. hcgraves says: Jan 14, 2013 8:24 PM

Must be the only two candidates willing to keep the underachieving Jay Cutler as quarterback.

4. jimmysee says: Jan 14, 2013 8:26 PM

Bevell is a *great* choice.

Like Mike McCarthy when he was at S.F.

That’s what the Bears need.

Bear down Bears!

5. therealtrenches says: Jan 14, 2013 8:29 PM

I hear Lovie Smith is available. He’ll bring a voracious defense to town. Why not give him a shot?

6. raiderapologist says: Jan 14, 2013 8:31 PM

So Emery is channeling Al Davis by bringing in coaches just to pick some brains? I like it.

7. greenspartan8 says: Jan 14, 2013 8:33 PM

Hire Trestman…second coming of marv levy.

8. doe22us says: Jan 14, 2013 8:35 PM

Yeah, he better be thorough or its his job on the line.

9. packfaninchitown says: Jan 14, 2013 8:40 PM

Is Bevell really the mastermind behind Wilson? Considering his progress with Tavaris Jackson and the other QBs not named Ponder I don’t see this guy having all that great of a resume.

10. jojopuppyfish says: Jan 14, 2013 8:42 PM

I really wanted David Toub.
    All you have to do is look at youtube and see the Hester fake punt return that went to Knox against GB to know how great this guy is.
    Year after year, he’s top in the league in S/T.
    Hester, Knox, and Daniel Manning all were great returners under this guy.
    Lots of Pro bowler players under him.
    Robbie Gould one of the best kickers.
    Brad Maynard and Adam Poledsh both solid punters.

Its time to give this guy a chance as Head coach.

11. thepoliticalfirebrand says: Jan 14, 2013 8:42 PM

Great, the Bears can hire Bevell and Bevell can hire Childress as his OC. Then everything will have gone full circle.

12. isuhuskie says: Jan 14, 2013 8:44 PM

Let me first say that who really knows? But, a 57-year old (in a couple days) coach from Canada who for some reason never got a job as a HC in the NFL… Or a guy who had his team finish in 17th in scoring (so technically the bottom half) and 27th in passing this season. I know Wilson was a rookie, who played better – but he & Cutler aren’t exactly the same type of player.

Emery better be right and he better hope McCoy and some of the others don’t go somewhere and have immediate success.

13. dabearsk says: Jan 14, 2013 8:46 PM

Bevell versus Trestman…I think both are good candidates…I like the fact that Emery has been so through as well as both coaches can/should call their own plays. I think consistency in terms of philosophy and coaching is probably a bit more important on the offensive side of the ball versus the defensive side.

14. larryboodry says: Jan 14, 2013 8:48 PM

Would have preferred Arians or Dennison, but if these are my two choices, I hope it’s Trestman.

15. gridassassin says: Jan 14, 2013 8:48 PM

If Emery is so ‘cloak and dagger’ then why should we believe there are only two finalists?

I could have sworn he’d bring the best 2 or 3 into Halas Hall.

I eagerly look forward to Henry Burris’s return from Canada too. ;) After all, he led the CFL in passing in 2012.

16. emmac13 says: Jan 14, 2013 8:49 PM

17. dfeltz says: Jan 14, 2013 8:50 PM

I don’t understand why Emery gets criticism for being thorough. Let’s see what Kansas City does knowing they only wanted Andy Reid, there is a reason he got fired.

18. completefan says: Jan 14, 2013 8:52 PM

More food for thought on Trestman. In his five seasons in Montreal:

Grey Cups in 2009, 2010.
    Grey Cup appearance in 2008.

A winner. Do the right thing, Bears.

19. chi01town says: Jan 14, 2013 8:53 PM

I hope this is NOT true.. but if it is then take Tresman at least the Bears will play a different system. but please dont bring in this bevell guy.

20. tokyosandblaster says: Jan 14, 2013 8:59 PM

Either way, this makes Packers fans very happy.

21. suuderson says: Jan 14, 2013 9:02 PM

Coming from a diehard CFL fan, Trestman is the man Bears fans want.

Having had my team play against Trestman’s for the better part of 4 years, I would love to see this guy leave for bigger things as he is hands-down the best coach in our small but respectable league. When he came into the league he led the Alouettes to the Grey Cup 3 years straight winning 2 with a 35+ year old qb.

He has a winning swagger to him and although I’m a Vikings guy, there’s definetly gonna be soft spot in my heart for Da Bears if he’s callin the shots.

22. dirtysouthironmen says: Jan 14, 2013 9:05 PM

If Mort is reporting any of this, then it probably means neither will be hired.

23. ibboydb says: Jan 14, 2013 9:06 PM

As a Seahawks fan, We can only hope Chicago will take this Minnesota reject away.

24. isuhuskie says: Jan 14, 2013 9:07 PM

Does anyone know why Trestman has been coaching since 1981 (with only a brief period out of the game) and no one ever gave him a chance before?

25. ninjapleazee says: Jan 14, 2013 9:07 PM

Packer fans have nothing to be happy about since you just got spanked

26. countduku says: Jan 14, 2013 9:10 PM

Bears thinking: No NFL head coaching experience is the new black.

27. inhokewetrust says: Jan 14, 2013 9:10 PM

Ok bear fans I’m one of u…..die hard bears fan…tresman makes so much sence…bottom line NFL is becoming CFL clone with all the passing…why not hire the best coach if the “new” NFL and someone who has a relationship with cutler….

28. danno1212 says: Jan 14, 2013 9:12 PM

Trestman! When I looked at what each of the candidates had to offer, I felt he would be the best choice, glad he is a finalist. He seems to have what we want, offensive background and he has proven he can run a whole team even though it is just in the CFL. He should be hungry to prove himself at the next level. Go Bears!

29. ososrule says: Jan 14, 2013 9:13 PM

@toykosandRETARD!

Either way the Packers are just as screwed up as the Bears and I promise NO Packer fan is happy right now after getting slaughtered in San Fran…Everything they did to the Bears this season was in vain…

30. larryboodry says: Jan 14, 2013 9:13 PM

tokyosandblaster says: Jan 14, 2013 8:59 PM

“Either way, this makes Packers fans very happy.”

So does wearing yellow foam hats shaped like cheese.

31. cowboyscanada says: Jan 14, 2013 9:14 PM

Oh Canada!

Give it to Trestman. Very Intelligent coach who the players will run through a wall for.

32. howiehandles says: Jan 14, 2013 9:16 PM

Nothing against Bevell, but I’m voting for Trestman. Possible Bill Walsh in the making? Calm “genius” sounds better to me than a one year wonder.

33. raiderlyfe510 says: Jan 14, 2013 9:17 PM

Name one QB that Bevell developed. Dont say Russell Wilson. That was all Tom Cable.

I can name several QBs under Trestman’s belt,

Hue Jackson should be looked at though. I could name RBs(Darren McFadden), WRs(Chad Johnson, DHB, Jacoby Ford, Denarious Moore) and QBs(C Palmer, Flacco, Campbell) that he developed and thrived in his system.

34. cassrangers says: Jan 14, 2013 9:19 PM

Not Bruce Arians, no way, not the guy who led the Colts to the playoffs, when nobody thought the Colts could win more than 6 games at very best. No, no, no… not him… this is why the Bears will always suffer. I’d rather have Lovie back

35. percywhipped21 says: Jan 14, 2013 9:22 PM

“Didnt Bevels D allow Ryan to move down the field easily to kick a field goal? Seahawks where down the whole game. The offense brought them back for the D to choke.”

I hope that was some sort of joke or sarcasm.

36. howiehandles says: Jan 14, 2013 9:23 PM

Bruce Arians is a candidate too.

37. gotampabay52 says: Jan 14, 2013 9:27 PM

seriously you all take a cfl and the bucs takes a college coach and we get ripped cfl are we talking cfl wow good luck with that what american football coach wants to be on that staff call it staph infection

38. jasoschmidt says: Jan 14, 2013 9:32 PM

emmac13 says:Jan 14, 2013 8:49 PM

Am I missing something with this comment or is it as stupid as it sounds??

39. ruffridin says: Jan 14, 2013 9:34 PM

Trestman will have other NFL owners looking north of the border next year. He gets the best out of his QBs, is a players coach and runs a great offense (ask Gannon). Cam Wake, Jerrell Freeman, and now Marc Trestman is added to the list of CFLers who will make an impact in the states. Playoffs for da Bears (just fix the o line)

40. timezyourz says: Jan 14, 2013 9:34 PM

“And this past season, the Als were a dropped pass in the end zone away from another trip to the Grey Cup.

A winner. Do the right thing, Bears.”

The ‘Als’?? Hahahaha what do we have a CFL fan among us? Get the hell out of here one of the oldest franchises in the NFL entrusts their proud franchise to a canuck HC…

41. dilberry says: Jan 14, 2013 9:36 PM

Trestman would be a strong hire.

42. louiespoon says: Jan 14, 2013 9:45 PM

I was hoping Arians or McCoy, these two were fourth and fifth choices for me….

43. supremecomander says: Jan 14, 2013 9:48 PM

Please no Marc Trestman. The transition from the Canadian game to the NFL is too uncertain. If we want a sure thing, go Bruce Arians he is the reigning Coach of the Year for crying out loud. How often does CoY become available for hire?

If we want to be more risky hire with upside, then go for Clements or Carmichael. Going to another league, heck another country is a big reach.

44. greyhawk9 says: Jan 14, 2013 9:57 PM

Leave our coordinators alone!

45. gridassassin says: Jan 14, 2013 10:01 PM

Quick question for all you pro-trestman guys.

Who’s the last CFL head coach to be a head coach in the NFL in the past ….20 years let’s say?

46. majikwen says: Jan 14, 2013 10:05 PM

Trestman will bring a new system, the Canadian one, ya know ….. punt on 3rd down and 30 yard routes on the one yard line

47. larryboodry says: Jan 14, 2013 10:06 PM

I’m glad Arians is still there…Lessens the odds on them picking Bevell.

48. chi01town says: Jan 14, 2013 10:07 PM

@tokyosandblaster
    Packers fans aint happy today NOT after they let A Rookie QB beat them or should I say SMOKE them in the playoffs. CK threw for 2 touchdowns and ran for 2 more. Greenbay Cant beat the 49ers nowhere and they cant beat the Giants on the moon. Now I ask you…… How are the packers gone ever get to the Superbowl?

49. wludford says: Jan 14, 2013 10:24 PM

Interesting, if true. Trestman is supposed to be a QB guru who has trained a number of QBs going into the draft- and who went on to be disappointments or underachievers- including Cutler and Campbell. The Colts passed on Trestman for head coach last year in favor of Pagano.

Bevell would fit nicely with Musclehead Tice as another Viking has-been/retread.

In any case, I think this is a sign the Bears want more from the QB position and want a head coach who can make some decisions there.

My guess is that Cutler gets some competition this off-season and the Bears don’t resign him when his contract is up at the end of the year.

50. tubbman27 says: Jan 14, 2013 10:26 PM

What’s with the glazer hate on here lately?

51. vikefan says: Jan 14, 2013 10:34 PM

bevell plz bevell…..rest of NFC Norris will even help to pay his contract (wink, wink)…..will also appreciate another 2 easy wins a year just like detroit

52. digg2000 says: Jan 14, 2013 10:37 PM

Bears fans… believe me… just be glad it’s not Singletary. That guy still hasn’t made a half time adjustment.

53. Daniel Lawson says: Jan 14, 2013 10:40 PM

Trestmen or Arians…. not keen on that offense in Seattle… rely to much on a mobile QB and good luck… he’d not even be in this conversation if Major Wright just hangs onto that INT

54. shorttracknews says: Jan 14, 2013 11:28 PM

As long as they get rid of Tice…

55. wnstonchill says: Jan 14, 2013 11:46 PM

Marc Trestman has the most impressive track record of any of these coaches. Darrell Bevell doesn’t have a “Russell Wilson” to QB the Bears. I like Bruce Arians resolve with Indy as well. However, the more I learn of Trestman and his innate ability to develop players and lead his teams, it seems like a no-brainer for Phil Emery. Bring on Trestman!

56. phaktor333 says: Jan 15, 2013 1:12 AM

So, you fire Lovie Smith and turn around and hire a guy who is well known in the league, serving on several staffs and somehow ended up coaching in Canada. That is a red flag that will lead to some regrets when fans see next season’s soft butt team.

57. larryboodry says: Jan 15, 2013 2:21 AM

emmac13 says: Jan 14, 2013 8:49 PM

You do know that Bevell is Seattle’s OFFENSIVE coordinator, right?

58. LilTmac2003 says: Jan 15, 2013 3:10 AM

Bears fan my entire life, and to be honest, I really had absolutely no clue who I wanted the Bears to hire.

But after reading a billion articles, a billion stats about each of the 13 candidates that Emery interviewed, I have one person who I’d like the Bears to hire.

1- First, I love Phil Emery. Angelo was horrendous. Day 1 on the job and Emery got what Angelo couldn’t for a decade. (A WR — Marshall)

2- Emery didn’t implement his drafting system last season. He said this season will be his first with his style and scheme of drafting. He’ll address our o-line issues.

3- Adam Shefter reported that 2 of the 13 candidates said they HAVE NEVER been in an interview so thorough and detailed than they did with Emery.

4- I personally think the Bears should hire Marc Trestman. At first, my guy was none other than BA, but Trestman has over 20 years of NFL experience.

5- He credentials don’t lie — while I’ve never watched a CFL game, he’s been ballin’. Plus, he can have bring over his staff from there w/ all these coaches already getting their staff together.

59. jutts says: Jan 15, 2013 1:06 PM

Please, Please, Please be Trestman. He would be fantastic in Chicago. The Man Is Brilliant.

60. larryboodry says: Jan 15, 2013 5:02 PM

Just read that Trestman is ‘the heavy favorite.’ Maybe Jimmy Johnson was right, after all.