Andrew Whitworth replaces Ryan Clady on AFC Pro Bowl team

Andrew Whitworth AP

When the names of this years Pro Bowl players were announced last month, Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth expressed some strong feelings about the process used to put the teams together.

“It’s a joke to me,” Whitworth said, via the Dayton Daily News. “It’s a popularity contest. You see it every year. There are guys that don’t even play half a season, get put on IR and they still make the Pro Bowl. I don’t worry about that stuff every year. I plan to try and make the playoffs and do what I do and that’s it. That’s all you can do. It doesn’t matter one way or the other to me. I know people probably think that’s crazy, but it really doesn’t.”

The joke’s now on Whitworth since he’s the newest member of the AFC roster for the game in Hawaii on January 27th. Broncos tackle Ryan Clady has withdrawn from the game because of an injury, opening a door for Whitworth to make the roster for the first time in his career.

It’s been a busy day for Pro Bowl dropouts. Clady joins Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson and Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers as players who won’t be taking spots on the field.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Andrew Whitworth replaces Ryan Clady on AFC Pro Bowl team”
  1. acerockefellar says: Jan 15, 2013 4:25 PM

Well deserved. Hes been robbed of a pro bowl for years.

2. samoanjungle says: Jan 15, 2013 5:13 PM

When we took him in the second round I was really ticked because we were set at LT with Levi Jones. Boy am I glad they did.

3. awhite46 says: Jan 15, 2013 5:33 PM

Wait, why is the joke on him? He clearly understood he could make a Pro Bowl. He just doesn’t think that it is a validation of his play.

“It doesn’t matter one way or the other to me. “

4. stoptrippn says: Jan 15, 2013 6:21 PM

He’s a good team leader. Class guy

5. spfripp says: Jan 15, 2013 7:30 PM

Just because he made the Pro Bowl doesn’t mean he is wrong. I am a Dolphin fan and for the longest time Jake Long was leading the votes for LT. The only people who knew that Long didn’t deserve to go to the Pro Bowl were Miami fans. It wasn’t till the media started to talk about Long’s struggles that other fans started to vote for someone more deserving.

6. johnnyb1976 says: Jan 16, 2013 12:01 AM

About time.

7. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jan 16, 2013 12:27 AM

Bengals’ linemen just don’t get much love. Just ask big Willie Anderson. Best RT in the game for many years, but rarely made a pro bowl.

8. pickensclause says: Jan 16, 2013 7:40 AM

Don’t get me wrong I like Whitworth, but why do you need offensive lineman at the Pro Bowl? Don’t the defensive lineman just count ’1 steamboat, 2 steamboat, etc.’?