Skip to content

Calvin Johnson out of Pro Bowl, Vincent Jackson in

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson earned a trip to the Pro Bowl this year by setting a new single-season record for receiving yards, but he won’t be playing in the game.

Johnson has pulled out of the Pro Bowl to rest the nagging injuries he picked up over the course of the season. At the end of the regular season, Johnson said he would be taking some time to decide whether or not he would get on the field in Honolulu and the decision obviously fell on the side of precaution.

The Buccaneers announced that Vincent Jackson will take Johnson’s spot on the NFC roster. He joins Brandon Marshall of the Bears as the only receivers to make the Pro Bowl in the AFC and NFC in consecutive seasons.

Jackson led the NFL with an average of 19.2 yards per catch in 2012 and he set a franchise record with 216 receiving yards in a game. He joins defensive tackle Gerald McCoy to give the Bucs multiple Pro Bowlers for the first time since 2008.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
15 Responses to “Calvin Johnson out of Pro Bowl, Vincent Jackson in”
  1. lionsdraftguy says: Jan 15, 2013 2:27 PM

    Smart move on Calvins part. The Pro Bowl is stupid anyway. They dont take it serious so why risk injury to play in a circus they call the Pro Bowl.

  2. Land Snark says: Jan 15, 2013 2:28 PM

    Can’t wait till they replace this joke of a Pro Bowl with something worthwhile.

    Even the Shrine or Senior Bowl would be more interesting.

  3. blowpackblow says: Jan 15, 2013 2:28 PM

    Cue the Madden Jinx stupid comments…

  4. murty77 says: Jan 15, 2013 2:40 PM

    Jackson should’ve been selected before him anyways. He had more touchdowns and more wins this year.

    /sarcasm

  5. feardatiger says: Jan 15, 2013 2:49 PM

    Didn’t AJ Green make it last year as a rookie as well as this year?

  6. schmitty2 says: Jan 15, 2013 3:05 PM

    Tim Ryan thinks this was the right choice

  7. ccjcsr says: Jan 15, 2013 3:29 PM

    Must have been second choice because Dez is injured!

  8. elliottcovert says: Jan 15, 2013 3:39 PM

    Vincent Jackson quietly had a beastly season this year. Every time I saw his stats this year, I said to myself “Why isn’t anybody talking about this guy?” His trip to Hawaii is well-deserved.

  9. bobonmycob says: Jan 15, 2013 3:44 PM

    Tim Ryan thinks CJ is great but not all pro great so this sits well with him.

  10. stikolaboloni says: Jan 15, 2013 4:29 PM

    What a travesty. His NFC peers have been gearing up for this intense gridiron battle all year. What adjustments will the coaching staff now make to the gameplan? Stay tuned!!!

  11. daddyb1gdrawz says: Jan 15, 2013 4:30 PM

    At what point do we draw the line with calling a player a pro bowler. THe only true pro bowlers are the ones that made the initial list.

  12. larryboodry says: Jan 15, 2013 5:25 PM

    I wouldn’t mind seeing Marshall do the same thing.

  13. completefan says: Jan 15, 2013 6:11 PM

    “I wouldn’t mind seeing Marshall do the same thing.”

    Marshall made one of the best catches of the season in last year’s game.

  14. larryboodry says: Jan 15, 2013 6:33 PM

    @completefan:

    Foronce I’m actually gonna watch the game, and I hope Marshall – and the other Bears who made it – does well. Just don’t want to see any injuries.

  15. dlions18 says: Jan 15, 2013 10:58 PM

    They should do a skills competition instead of a probowl. That would be way more interesting.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!