Chargers introduce Mike McCoy as new head coach

Getty Images

The San Diego Chargers have made it official: Their new head coach is Mike McCoy.

McCoy, who has spent the last four seasons as offensive coordinator of the Broncos, officially becomes the 15th head coach in the history of the Chargers franchise today.

In San Diego, McCoy will be asked to turn around a team that had a disappointing 7-9 record in 2012. Of particular importance for the Chargers is that McCoy gets quarterback Philip Rivers on track. One of the reasons the Chargers liked McCoy is that he has found success with a wide variety of quarterbacks, and he was able to change the Broncos’ offense accordingly as they switched from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow to Peyton Manning over the last two years.

This marks the second consecutive offseason that the Broncos have lost a coordinator to an AFC West rival. Last year the Raiders hired former Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen as their head coach.

McCoy replaces Norv Turner, who was fired after six years at the end of the 2012 season.

55 responses to “Chargers introduce Mike McCoy as new head coach

1. As a Chargers fan, I would not grade this hire just yet….This is a wait and see type of hire. I hope they keep JP as the defensive of coordinator and hire an OC because we know how Norv didn’t work having both HC and OC duties.

Go Chargers and I hope he is the “Real” McCoy

2. i think this is a “bridge” hire meaning this is who we are hiring and if he pans out, then good. if he doesnt, then well keep him until someone better throws their hat in the ring. much like my raiders are doing with dennis allen.

3. As a die hard broncos fan I just hope they hire Tom Moore,I was disappointed in the play calling Saturday,but as a whole I thought McCoy did a great job.

4. What’s with this all this football news? I only come to PFT for articles about Tim Tebow, Tim Tebow’s brother, and Robert Griffin’s knee. Quit cluttering the site with garbage like this.

5. Only time will tell if this will be a good hire. Remember, every good HC started somewhere as a coordinator. Hopefully he is one of those stories and not a failure.

6. As a hard core Raider, I don’t like this trend. Reid in K.C. Now McCoy in San Diego. Oakland, we have a problem.

7. Seems like he’s got a very creative offensive talent. If he can line up a good defensive coordinator and coaches he might turn things around out there quickly.

8. Do anyone really care what the Chargers do anymore. I mean seriously! No Superbowl rings, the worst fans in the NFL, and please do not come to my city LA… LA is Raiders Land, I just hate the Chargers.

9. As the Bidwills yell on the helm of their sinking ship: “We were right about Kolb. Super Bowl, here we come!!”

10. 44mpo says:
    Jan 15, 2013 4:17 PM
    _____________________________

You have the second longest active playoff drought in the NFL.

When haven’t you had a problem?

11. He liked to put his stamps on things always slowing down things to huddle up when we had a rhythm going,congrats but glad to see him go.

12. Not a Chargers fan but congratulations to the fans. Great hire. Going to be an interesting division again with Reid in KC and now McCoy in SD. Just need the Raiders to get in the mix.

13. I love how Broncos fans are criticizing McCoy’s game calling last Saturday. Maybe if the defense didn’t give up 38 points, this hire would have never even happened.

14. csndrew says:
    Jan 15, 2013 3:53 PM
    My #1 takeaway from this story: How the hell did Norv Turner keep his job for 6 years?
    ==========

I actually thought, “Norv Turner’s was only there for 6 years?”.

Seemed like a century.

15. As a long time Bronco fan I am thrilled by this move. We unload some baggage to a division opponent who pales in play calling to the man he replaced Norv Turner. True Norv wasn’t a great HC but who knows what McCoy brings to that role and he is no where near the offensive mind that Turner is.

16. I really thought Bruce Arians would have been a better hire. At least he had some Head Coaching experience. What he did with the Colts this year while filling in for Pagano was nothing short of amazing. I too questioned McCoy’s playing calling last week. Hopefully he not such a pansie calling plays for the Chargers. God know Rivers will be in his ear telling him to go for the jugular.

17. Another guy not qualified to be an NFL head coach getting another job that he’ll most likely fail at.

I suppose having lower ranked coordinated units any time you’ve been an OC and then being Peyton Manning’s secretary for a year qualifies you as a top notch guy though. Fans eat it up anyway. Too funny.

18. blackandbluedivision says:

You have the second longest active playoff drought in the NFL.

When haven’t you had a problem?
    _____________________________

Who cares about winning records? The only thing that matters is the Lombardi at the end…and there is only one team that holds it every year. How many has your team won?

19. Come on bronco nation we wasn’t complaining about the play calling when we we were on that 11 game winning streak,I do question some of the play calling but hey it’s a lot things that can be questioned,how about questioning del’Rio’s play calling or lack there off on Defense,last time I checked we did give up 38 points…

20. 44mpo says: Jan 15, 2013 4:17 PM

_______
    As a hardcore Washington fan, I can guarantee you that Reid is the least of your concerns. McCoy could be dangerous with the Chargers; but as much as I love Shanahan (Griffin knee disaster excluded), Reid is easily my favorite coach of all time. Nobody else could take a team with so much talent and make them so consistently mediocre for over a decade.

On the other hand, the Chiefs don’t have a lot of talent, so maybe Reid will be good in KC.

21. “Since 2003 the Raiders are the only team in the NFL to not finish a regular season with a winning record.

You have the second longest active playoff drought in the NFL.

When haven’t you had a problem?”

At least the Raiders have SB wins to brag about. Wanna try Buffalo?

22. p4hbiz says:Jan 15, 2013 4:23 PM

L.A. could not keep 3 NFL teams in the past so you say the Chargers have the worst fans? Really

Of course you do have something we do not have…you have Kiffin who is destroying the Trojan football program.

23. “sdparadise81 says:
    Jan 15, 2013 4:42 PM
    I love how Broncos fans are criticizing McCoy’s game calling last Saturday. Maybe if the defense didn’t give up 38 points, this hire would have never even happened.”

I agree our defense was terrible Saturday, but I am talking 4 years of McCoy not 4 quarters.

24. Steal from divisional opponent. That way your opponent gets automatically weaker and you get stronger! That’s what Al Davis used to say.

Cause that worked so well for the Raiders last season.
    This guy isn’t gonna teach Rivers anything he doesn’t already know. Strictly offensive guy. Where’s the D?

25. Only time will tell how this hire will work out. If it is indeed true that he won’t be calling the offensive plays, I view that as a promising sign.

Still, I hope he doesn’t end up getting tunnel vision when it comes to the issues of fixing the offense and Rivers.

I am very interested in seeing who they bring in to be the OC. They also need to re-sign Joiner.

As for his role with the Broncos and Manning, IMO the majority of that offense, if not all of it, seemed to be run by Manning.

26. Question for Charger fans : Are you really excited about this hire? Everyone knows the real architect of the Denver offense this past year was Peyton What credibility does he bring? He won a playoff game with Tebow the year prior, but they didn’t win because of his offense. I know the club needed a reboot from Norv, but if I were a Charger fan, I’d be more worried then relieved.

27. Tebow put this guy on the map.

But seriously, when I heard that the Broncos offensive coordinator had gone to San Diego, I couldn’t believe that Peyton would go after just one year.

28. yssupasigninnamnotyep says:
    Jan 15, 2013 5:10 PM
    blackandbluedivision says:

You have the second longest active playoff drought in the NFL.

When haven’t you had a problem?
    _____________________________

__________________________

The original post which I quoted said that the trend of these new coaches was a problem. I was just pointing out that trend was the least of Oakland’s problems. 10 straight seasons without even sniffing the playoffs.

29. Mike McCoy was Jake Delhomme’s QB coach. Enough said. Except for the fact that Peyton Manning was single handedly responsible for the offense in Denver. This was a very bad move. Reminds me of Kevin Gilbride in 97.

30. blackandbluedivision says: Jan 15, 2013 6:01 PM

—–
    Sniffed them in 2011, sir. Choked away the last two games, missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker. Those were great times.

31. McCoy wasn’t wearing pads and spikes against the Ravens. The Broncos D was the reason they lost. McCoy has been a class act in Denver and I’m sure he’ll do a better job than Norv in SD.

32. With the benefit of hindsight, I have to wonder if McCoy wasn’t fully focused on game planning for the Ravens. The policy and procedures need to be adjusted so that job interviews occur after the season and not during. No exceptions. Not only did the broncos fail to advance in the playoffs – due to poor play calling and clock management-but a divisional opponent just plucked the broncos OC.

33. I hope this hire works out for the Chargers as well as the Dennis Allen hire worked out for my Raiders.