Eli Manning replaces Aaron Rodgers in Pro Bowl

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants Getty Images

With Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers unable to play in the Pro Bowl due to a handful of injuries, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning has been named to the NFC roster to replace him.

Manning completed 60-percent of his passes for 3,948 yards, 26 touchdowns and 15 interceptions for the Giants this season.

Manning was the second alternate for the NFC. New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees was already named to the NFC roster to replace injured Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III.

If the Atlanta Falcons advance to the Super Bowl, all three quarterbacks originally named to the NFC roster would be unavailable for the game. Rodgers and Griffin would miss the game due to injuries and Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan would be preparing for the Super Bowl.

If Ryan is unavailable, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson is the third alternate for the Pro Bowl.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Eli Manning replaces Aaron Rodgers in Pro Bowl”
  1. cherrybop says: Jan 16, 2013 12:04 AM

Well, that’s a joke. Eli sucked this year; he doesn’t belong anywhere near the “Pro Bowl” (which is also a joke that should be scrapped, IMI).

2. cherrybop says: Jan 16, 2013 12:06 AM

IMO; my bad.

Seriously, he didn’t have a Pro Bowl year; this guy crapped all over one of my fantasy teams with his gimpy-armed performance. Clearly he injured something sometime early on this season.

3. codysteeler says: Jan 16, 2013 12:08 AM

Eli had a terrible season compared to nfc qb’s behind him in pro bowl voting (wilson as the prime example of that) i believe the pro bowl is the same every year…fans vote the popular name rather than the best players (eli and jeff saturday are prime examples of that) pro bowl should be the top players in their respective positions based on who compiled the best stats, take voting out of the fans hands

4. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 16, 2013 12:12 AM

Figures some guy would center his entire sentiment on fantasy football.

But as a Giants fan, Eli singlehandedly cost us 3 games with putrid play; missing wide open guys, poor throws and those 2004-2006 throwback type INTs. He’ll bounce back, but he belongs nowhere near the Pro Bowl. Even with Cam Newton’s poor start this year, but strong finish, he even deserves it more than Eli. I need the Giants to rest. The only reason they’re not playing right now is because they were mentally and physically worn out by December from all the baby kissing, book signings and community ventures they suddenly took on after winning the Super Bowl.

5. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 16, 2013 12:13 AM

However, the voting was compiled by the 3rd week of November, and prior to that point, Eli had been playing very good football. It was that Pittsburgh game going forward that he absolutely went down the drain (until Week 17), so you can’t even trash him for the down year.

6. unc336 says: Jan 16, 2013 12:16 AM

Cam Newton should have been selected before Eli, if this is based off stats..

7. jerrod777 says: Jan 16, 2013 12:16 AM

What a joke! Eli was not Pro Bowl this year. There were other quarterbacks way more deserving than him. Sometimes the Pro Bowl is merely a popularity contest.

8. unc336 says: Jan 16, 2013 12:21 AM

Newton accounted for 4,600 yards and 27 touchdowns last season but Eli gets the nod over him? That’s a joke

9. gator2006 says: Jan 16, 2013 12:22 AM

Why not Romo?

10. jdphx says: Jan 16, 2013 12:58 AM

Next up? John Skelton and Nick Foles?

11. bigbluebruiser says: Jan 16, 2013 1:54 AM

For all the gripe about fan voting, they only count for 1/3 of the total Pro Bowl votes. The coaches and players account for the other 66 percent.

If you have an issue, your beef should be with the latter.

Comparing Eli’s Pro Bowl nod to Jeff Saturday’s is way off base. Manning never lost his job. Saturday was purely a reputation pick. He was benched.

Considering he had a less than 100 percent Hakeem Nicks for most of the year, his final numbers don’t look that bad.

12. judsonjr says: Jan 16, 2013 3:14 AM

It’s now the “Manning Bowl” that everyone wanted.

13. sperminat0r says: Jan 16, 2013 4:05 AM

Not only Eli is a joke, but this whole Pro Bowl game is a joke. The NFL needs to scrap this and come up with something better.

14. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 16, 2013 4:27 AM

First of all, all you Eli Manning haters, he deserves to be in the pro bowl and I am happy for him. after all the misfortune this guy endured due to Hurricane Sandy and the damage to his house and difficulties to his family, I am glad something good occurred for him.As for having a terrible season, he had a great season until Hurricane Sandy. That is when the whome team went into a tailspin. Remember that if Hixon, Cruz, and Nicks do not catch balls, one cannot completely blame Eli. Also if Jason Pierre-Paul does not play proper defese and the secondary stinks, how can one not give up lots of points? How is that Eli’s fault? Eli is still one of the top 5 QBs whether fans like him or not.

It seems that with fans, Peyton can do no wrong and Eli can do no right. It just does not seem fair. Fans need to be alittle more objective and less bias. I am both a Bronco and a Giant fan and I am sick of this bias of Peyton lovers (Peyton lost that Bronco game with 2 INT and 2 tunrovers and yet Milius gets fired, not John Fox) and Eli haters. This is so frusrating.

15. The Prophet says: Jan 16, 2013 4:36 AM

I’m happy for the NFC team. now they won’t have to put up with Aaron Rodgers’ whining and can have fun.

16. zack2482 says: Jan 16, 2013 7:08 AM

What a joke! How many games did he go without throwing a TD pass? 4? Not a Pro Bowl QB.

17. broadstbully says: Jan 16, 2013 7:26 AM

@codysteelerr,

I thought that’s what the All Pro teams were for? The Pro Bowl is for the fans; it’s only right that the fans decide who they want to see there.

As for the event itself: who cares if the game is a joke? The PB isn’t expected to break ratings records. No one has to tune in. And I’m sure everyone that goes down to Honolulu has a blast. And that includes players, coaches, media, and fans. People need to chill about the Pro Bowl. It’s a big party, with an exhibition game thrown in.

18. dtm1088 says: Jan 16, 2013 7:47 AM

This is why they need to get rid of the pro bowl. Eli statistically, probably was the 5th best QB in the conference, so this makes sense. A few guys drop out and now he’s the 3rd QB in the game. He wasn’t voted in. People keep dropping out of this thing and soon by default we have John Skelton playing QB.

19. giantsfanlewis says: Jan 16, 2013 7:48 AM

I’m a huge giants fan and even I’ll admit that Eli had a terrible year. At one point he had a 3 game skid without a td. If I’m correct he had 4 or 5 total games without a td this year and that’s to much

20. ccjcsr says: Jan 16, 2013 8:20 AM

I guess when you have a few SB rings it automatically makes you an alternate in any shape or form!

21. chi01town says: Jan 16, 2013 8:49 AM

Rodgers mind is on his new 120 million dollar contract and pushing anybody off that team he has to like
    Jennings.. Driver.. and Finley to get it.

22. bigbluefan1 says: Jan 16, 2013 9:17 AM

Eli is the only two time SB winning QB in the NFC that should make him #1
    Yes his year was off but he is still the only QB I want for my team

ELIte Eli

23. kev86 says: Jan 16, 2013 9:50 AM

Giants win 4-5 games without Eli this year. He threw for 500 yards in a game. Finished nicely with 5 td passes agaisnt the Eagles. Not his best season but Eli is still the MANN.

24. bigblue88 says: Jan 16, 2013 10:07 AM

The pro bowl is a joke just get rid of it. Eli had a off year and is very inconsistent at times. 2 great runs with a little luck and dline help secured him in Giants history. He may be close to the HOF but needs to win a playoff game outside those two SB years. I think he will bounce back next year.

25. siennaLilo says: Jan 16, 2013 10:29 AM

Oh good! Now I have a reason to watch the silly ProBowl. I get to see my absolute favorite QB one more time. These playoffs are DULL without ELI. And all these Eli whiners need to get a grip. They all sound bitter and delusional.

Eli was voted in last season and couldn’t make it. Know why? He was too busy winning another SB MVP! None of these alternates can come close to saying that. And he didn’t have an awful year. Seriously, these Giants fans complaining about Eli are the absolute worst. The haters are just bitter.

26. bantry1234 says: Jan 16, 2013 11:11 AM

Just like Eli replaced Rodgers in the Superbowl last year.

27. pop562 says: Jan 16, 2013 11:37 AM

Didn’t cam newton threw for 3 int in the last pro bowl…

28. justintuckrule says: Jan 16, 2013 12:10 PM

I’ve never been as bitter from my team not making the playoffs than I am this year. There’s not a doubt in my mind that if we were .00001% less complacent, there would be a complete re-do this weekend from last year with us going back out to SF to re-spank the 9ers and Tom Terrific getting his Pats by the Ravens to set up WWIII. The only time I was more p-oed was when Flipper Anderson caught the OT TD and ran up the tunnel. Missed opps are brutal. Oh well, I guess this is what it feels like to be a Bills or Eagles fan.

29. packrfan22 says: Jan 16, 2013 12:22 PM

Nobody cares about the Pro Bowl

30. cmonelisha says: Jan 16, 2013 12:26 PM

im a giants fan and even i see this as off.. theres a few other QBs i would of took over eli in the pro bowl for this year only. eli had an off 2nd half of the year one of his worst 6-7 game stretchs i seen him play in a long time.. went back to making terrible decisions, interceptions that looked like he was in his rookie year or 2nd n 3rd year again..

i have no doubt eli will bounce back next year having more people doubting him, for whatever reason eli thrives with hate and just combusts when ppl are on his side and rootin for him… but as for this year alone.. doesnt deserve a probowl spot

31. kev86 says: Jan 16, 2013 1:36 PM

His durability has been incredible. What a run. Eli and his crew will have fun with Peyton and his family. I’m sure Archie and Olivia will make the trip too. Football royalty.

32. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 16, 2013 7:55 PM

How do the Packers keep manufacturing Hall of Fame QB’s? It’s like magic, only real.

33. jr4real says: Jan 16, 2013 11:46 PM

Wasnt Rogers the one who whined last year that no one took the PB seeious?

34. stellarperformance says: Jan 18, 2013 9:53 AM

jr4real says:
    Jan 16, 2013 11:46 PM
    Wasnt Rogers the one who whined last year that no one took the PB seeious?

=================================

Constructive criticism is only called “whining” by persons that have never had an original idea in their lives. It’s simpler that way. But you already know that.

35. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 18, 2013 11:45 AM

justintuckrule says: Jan 16, 2013 12:10 PM

—————–

I will never get over 1989 (we would have beaten SF and DEN), 2002, 2008 and now this wasted chance in 2012.

36. pack13queens0 says: Jan 20, 2013 4:39 PM

I can’t blame A-Rod for wanting out of this game. I wouldn’t want to hand off to Adrian Peterson or be on the same team as any Viking.

37. soytureyna says: Jan 23, 2013 8:29 AM

Who REALLY cares about the Pro-Bowl, anyway? I wouldn’t play if I were him.