Jim Harbaugh again says he’s half the coach John Harbaugh is

134058264_crop_exact Getty Images

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is as competitive as anyone who has played or coached or even watched football.  When he and his brother, John, were kids, the competitiveness manifested itself in the fact that Jim could throw a football over a large tree in their front yard, and John couldn’t.

But Jim has softened as an adult, at least when it comes to his brother.  In a recent interview with CSNBayArea.com, Jim repeated a talking point from the conclusion of the 2010 Sports Illustrated profile of the Brothers Harbaugh.

I’m probably half the coach he is,” Jim said of John at the time.  “But I’m trying.”

This time around, Jim Harbaugh elaborated on that point.

“I don’t think there’s any coach coaching in the game today that really has the full grasp of offense, defense, and special teams like my brother has,” Jim Harbaugh told CSNBayArea.com.

The best news is the coach who seems to be afflicted with the same desire to excel that keeps men like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban from ever seeming to enjoy the journey realizes how unique and special it is that two brothers are coaching in the NFL — and for the second straight year in the league’s final four teams.

“Definitely, I’ve thought of that,” Jim Harbaugh said.  “You know, we’ve both got great kids.  We both have a great wife and a great job, and it’s a harder job to get than being a U.S. Senator, and proud that our family has two people that are doing it.”

The Harbaughs deserve to be celebrated for what they’ve accomplished, even if the in-game facial expressions and histrionics and periodic goofy sound bites like “gobble gobble turkey from jive-turkey gobblers” make it hard for neutral fans to embrace Jim the way they should.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Jim Harbaugh again says he’s half the coach John Harbaugh is”
  1. ilovefoolsball says: Jan 15, 2013 10:48 AM

I prefer the Ravens coach.

2. ratbirdsrule says: Jan 15, 2013 10:50 AM

crazy/cheesy but likable

3. cliverush says: Jan 15, 2013 10:51 AM

Nice story and you were able to get in your cheap shot at Bill Belichick too.

4. norcalmafia says: Jan 15, 2013 10:51 AM

Hate them or love them theres no denying that this is a very talented and knowledgeable football family..

5. mrpilsner says: Jan 15, 2013 10:52 AM

I prefer the 49er’s coach.

6. rhf123 says: Jan 15, 2013 10:53 AM

They are both awesome.

7. jamaltimore says: Jan 15, 2013 10:53 AM

Who’s got it better than the Ravens and Niners? NOBODY! Harbocolypse is upon us!

8. smoochytherhino says: Jan 15, 2013 10:54 AM

As a Bears fan, I am supremely jealous that Jim is not coaching in Chicago (not that he has the fondest memories of his time there I’m sure).

Here’s hoping da Bears hire a coach half as good as either of the Harbaughs.

9. ravenmuscle says: Jan 15, 2013 10:54 AM

The ONLY fans that don’t like John Harbaugh are Steeler fans, and that is because they wish they had him instead of Tomlin.

10. 6ball says: Jan 15, 2013 10:55 AM

”I don’t think any coach has the grasp…. ”

IOW…. Belichick is ” a box of rocks ” .

11. purplegreenandgold says: Jan 15, 2013 10:55 AM

of course he is…he shares half of the name of Harbaugh…the other half is called Jim

12. stonecoldstunna says: Jan 15, 2013 10:56 AM

I would like to see the harbaughs coach against one another,but the ravens will get fked over by the refs somehow, when it comes to new england and their shot a the SB somebody will be screwing the pooch,the golden boy will get his last ring before he retires,damn shame bc ray lewis deserves it more .

13. khennigan says: Jan 15, 2013 10:56 AM

How great would it be to see these two square off in the Super Bowl?

14. rexryanseacrest says: Jan 15, 2013 10:56 AM

People can hate John all they want, but the fact is he’s taken the Ravens to the playoffs 5 straight years since he was hired. If he does it again next year, he will tie the record held by Bill Cowher and Paul Brown of 6 straight playoff appearances in his first six years. Of course that record won’t mean much if there isn’t at least one super bowl win mixed in…

15. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 15, 2013 10:57 AM

They are both cry babies who can coach a little. Drop the whining and classless fake punts and running up the score and I would respect them a lot more. Right now they are classless boys in a mans game. Hopefully as they age grace, manners, and class will come….waiting

16. danielsan101 says: Jan 15, 2013 10:58 AM

Perhaps you should read Mike Reiss’s recent words about Bill Belichick enjoying the playoffs, and appreciating how special it is to be in the position they’re in before you not-so-subtly bash him (again).

17. 2difshoe says: Jan 15, 2013 10:58 AM

And his other half a raging lunitic.

18. southpaw2k says: Jan 15, 2013 10:59 AM

Boy, would I love to see Jim vs. John in the Super Bowl. I’m sure their father would have a really tough time watching his sons go head to head though. Still, I bet CBS is secretly praying that’s the matchup it gets come Sunday night.

19. patfanken says: Jan 15, 2013 10:59 AM

….And to think that the Ravens chose Harbaugh over Rex Ryan. Jet fans are still laughing over that “mistake”. lol

20. illinininer says: Jan 15, 2013 11:00 AM

Wait, this seemed like a complete fair article! You feeling okay Mike?

Yeah, he has some maturing to do in some areas (i.e. dealing with refs) but he has settled down and grown a lot since coming in last year. Everyone likes to quote and criticize him, but the guy knows what it takes to succeed, he knows what he wants, and he has a very good roster backing him up. For everyone that claims you wouldn’t want him coaching your team, you’re either a Patriots fan or you’re lying.

21. willardj says: Jan 15, 2013 11:01 AM

Neither of these clowns is in the same stratosphere of coaching as Jon Gruden, next year’s coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. The world will stare in awe of Dream Team 3.0 and the future dynasty that awaits.

22. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 15, 2013 11:01 AM

ravenmuscle | Jan 15, 2013, 10:54 AM EST

Please tell me you are joking..I know steeler fans are smart, but we are not the only ones who find Harbag a douche…if you play anymore football remember to wear your helmet this time…

23. sixjak says: Jan 15, 2013 11:01 AM

It’s a very unique thing. In other news the sky is blue and rain is wet. Go 9ers.

24. rodgers419 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:04 AM

Both of them are arrogant, rude, and blind to social norms. It must run in the family.

25. pftiswhatitis says: Jan 15, 2013 11:05 AM

Your really cheap shot at Bill Bellichick ruined whatever goodness there was in this story. Not to mention how off-based and inacurrate you are.

26. pgh15212 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:09 AM

Stories like this are why we need the Pats and Falcons to win!

27. goniners18 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:10 AM

“Drop the whining and classless fake punts and running up the score and I would respect them a lot more.”

Umm, Pete Carroll is not a member of the Harbaugh family..

28. lionsdraftguy says: Jan 15, 2013 11:11 AM

Jim Harbaugh is half the coach John is, but John has a 1/4 the mouth Jim has but 10 times the class.

29. CKL says: Jan 15, 2013 11:14 AM

I try to appreciate greatness even if it’s in a package I don’t like. And there’s no doubt they are both excellent coaches. They’ve both made some decisions that look like head scratchers when they are made, yet they turn out to be 100% the right thing to do (John-firing Cameron so late in the year, Jim-switching Qb’s midway through the year.) One has to be an excellent big picture thinker when one is a HC, and they have both certainly demonstrated that.

Fact is, much as people like to show their hatred of BB, one of the reasons the Ravens hired John is because BB advocated for him, and maybe partly because he was the one who put Ozzie Newsome in the front office when they were in Cleveland, they listened.

30. metzgerf says: Jan 15, 2013 11:19 AM

JIM says he’s half the coach that JOHN is?? I have a hard time believing that he said that. Jim is arrogant. He doesn’t say things like that, even if he’s talking about his own brother. But if Jim DID say something like that….he’d be right.

31. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:20 AM

“The best news is the coach who seems to be afflicted with the same desire to excel that keeps men like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban from ever seeming to enjoy the journey”

That has to be one of the most clueless things I’ve ever seen you write Florio.

Just because Belichik doesn’t give the press much of anything has nothing to do with whether he “enjoys the journey”.

I know for a fact that he loves sticking it to you guys in the press, that’s for sure. But more than that anyone who has followed the Pats closely knows he loves the job and takes great enjoyment from it.

He keeps a straight face, maybe the best poker face I’ve ever seen, and in doing so he keeps his emotions private. That doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

32. kaughy says: Jan 15, 2013 11:20 AM

The clan from Ohio finally got it right with
    Jim Harbaugh. Ericsson, Nolan, Singletary
    must have been great interviewers. Look
    for Seattle and SF to have must see games in the coming years with coaches
    Rivalry.

33. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:22 AM

As for the Harbaugh’s they’re certainly excellent coaches, but they’ve also brought whining by an NFL head coach to a new level never before seen.

Those 2 cry more than anyone I’ve ever seen in my life.

34. trojan33sc says: Jan 15, 2013 11:23 AM

Ya know, I remember when Harbaugh showed up at Stanford and said something quite similar when my alumnus (USC) were kicking all kinds of Conference arse and Harbaugh played that “humble card” on us. He then proceeded to kick our collective butts for 3 years !!! I’m not buying it this time, he’s setting his brother up to spank him silly.

35. cpo187 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:25 AM

John may be the better coach, but Jim is the bigger risk taker. If the risks pay off it will make him look better, if not he will start to look foolish.

36. patsfiend says: Jan 15, 2013 11:28 AM

The over / under on slomo sideline shots of Jim whining at the refs and stomping his feet during the NFC Championship game has been set at 23.

37. thesmedman says: Jan 15, 2013 11:34 AM

He is right.

38. jammer88 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:37 AM

Personally, I think they both suck as coaches and the only reason why they got into the NFL is because of their daddy. Nepotism sucks and there is no place for it in the NFL or any work force.

39. killitandeatit says: Jan 15, 2013 11:38 AM

John Harbaugh is the Genghis Khan of NFL head coaches. If he is your general and you are having many more glorious victories vs. defeats you as one of his players or a 49er fan understand. Genghis Khan had a distinct advantage :the horse and great horseman. He swept down from Mongolia and was one of the greatest generals and warriors of all time. John Harbaugh has C.K…..we ride !!

40. bencoates57 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:38 AM

Relax everyone. It’s going to be a repeat of last year. Atlanta vs. New England. Bank on it.

41. ravensdominate says: Jan 15, 2013 11:41 AM

Agreed. John Harbaugh should be coach of the year with all the adversity this team has faced and to be right back in the AFC Championship.

42. troysmithsghost says: Jan 15, 2013 11:42 AM

He makes up for it by being twice as crazy.

43. cameltoehoe says: Jan 15, 2013 11:49 AM

I prefer Jim as a Coach. But if I were to suc 1 peen, it would be John’s. Jim was cute in his playing days, but now he’s kinda doughy! Great guy though. In a threesome sandwich, I’d def have John in the front & Jim in the back.

44. tjules21 says: Jan 15, 2013 11:51 AM

What if the Eagles would have fired Reid after the 2007 season (8-8) and promoted John Harbaugh to head coach?

I wish that happened. Obviously, at the time it probably wouldn’t have been a popular decision in Philadelphia. Not the “fire Reid” part, but “hire Harbaugh” part.

45. steelerfanjo says: Jan 15, 2013 11:51 AM

46. letemplay says: Jan 15, 2013 11:58 AM

Well being a Ravens fan, I love having John as our coach. I think Jim is just being humble, he is right there with John and both are great coaches just starting to build their legacy.

Having said that, I think they are both a step below Bill Bellichick. That’s just the facts at this point, and one or both of them may end up being there before they’re done. Right now the “best active coach” conversation starts with Bill whether I like it or not.

47. letemplay says: Jan 15, 2013 12:00 PM

“Both are pitiful whiners. Crying is all they do. Send tissues to both teams. Both unlikable babies. If they make it to Super Bowl – it will be call Super Bawl. Three of the worst teams in the final 4. Whiners, Cheaters & Convicts. Go Falcons – you are America’s hope.”

It’s a real shame that ignorance of the subject matter as well as a general lack of football knowledge on this level is not painful.

48. lennylyles says: Jan 15, 2013 12:04 PM

Can Steeler fans please refrain from making comments on this forum until your franchise is relevant again. Stop living in the past, and look at your current 500 team that loses to Tennessee, Oakland, and Cleveland.

49. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Jan 15, 2013 12:14 PM

Cry it up hardballs

50. psuravens19 says: Jan 15, 2013 12:23 PM

As a Ravens fan, I have always been a big fan of John Harbaugh and his love and respect for the game. He certainly has his flaws, i.e. clock management, but he has gotten better every year. I also think he gets the most out of his players; it was a tough position to come into with Lewis, Reed, etc. in their primes and those guys trusted him.

51. fuglyflorio says: Jan 15, 2013 12:32 PM

Adding up to a total of 3/4s.

52. TxGrown says: Jan 15, 2013 1:03 PM

What a cute story.

53. TxGrown says: Jan 15, 2013 1:08 PM

“killitandeatit says:
    Jan 15, 2013 11:38 AM
    John Harbaugh is the Genghis Khan of NFL head coaches…..”
    ————————————————————————————–
    He is more like Custer.

54. Cereal says: Jan 15, 2013 1:13 PM

Class guys, class coaches but they are hated by many because of their rampant success….

55. rdr4lif says: Jan 15, 2013 1:18 PM

Jim Harbaugh is what I thought he was. I prayed Al Davis would swallow his pride and hire him to revive the franchise. The Niners were very smart to give him the keys. John seems a lil more low key and built for the long haul.

Jim seems like he might just go off the deep end at any time….I kinda like that tho.

Anyways hats off to them and to their pops (and mom) for raising them to become so successful.

It looks like sustained excellence for both franchises with those guys in charge.

American dream alive and well

56. buddysguys says: Jan 15, 2013 1:20 PM

give em both the Jags and i bet they are sitting next to Mularkey in the unemployment line.

57. thetooloftools says: Jan 15, 2013 1:20 PM

They both are doing Daddy proud. They get the most out of their teams and they are ready to play when that opening kickoff whistle blows. You can’t ask for much more then that.

58. steelersownyou says: Jan 15, 2013 1:22 PM

Oh god please.. not the harbowl! These 2 are insufferable idiots. The only people that like them are their respective fanbase’s. Everyone else can’t stand them. Lowest super bowl ratings ever if these 2 get in!!

59. jfrogwi says: Jan 15, 2013 1:49 PM

I’m not a fan of either, but probably would be if one was coaching my team. I prefer the purple one (less drama), but I’d take either over those Ryan brothers. Or the Gruden’s or the Shanahan’s (yes, I know they aren’t brothers).

60. steelwheeler says: Jan 15, 2013 3:00 PM

Well hopefully we will get to find out…..in the PRO BOWL

61. rucifel666 says: Jan 15, 2013 4:48 PM

I dont get how people say Jim is a whiner and whatnot. He lives and dies with his team. Tell me any fan of this great sport wouldnt want that in their coach. Jealousy is an ugly emotion, dont be mad cause your team is no longer in the hunt.

62. tsmarriner says: Jan 15, 2013 5:16 PM

He’s also half the complainer that John is.

63. conormacleod says: Jan 15, 2013 6:06 PM

I wish I was a Harbaugh.

64. ubummer says: Jan 15, 2013 6:08 PM

I’m sure that’s what he’ll say when it comes time to talk new contract.

65. Deb says: Jan 15, 2013 7:52 PM

Ravens fans, I’m sure Steelers fans will stop making ridiculous comments on your threads as soon as you stop making them on ours. Pot meet kettle.

As for the Harbaugh brothers, I think they’re both excellent coaches though I find John more likeable than Jim despite his occasional whininess. But ravenmuscle is nuts if he thinks I’d ever trade Tomlin for either of them. Mike is the man … and the last time I looked, he had a ring to prove it.