Rey Maualuga uncertain of Bengals future

Rey Maualuga AP

In a season where Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga was upstaged by undrafted rookie Vontaze Burfict, the former second-round draft pick is uncertain his future remains with the Bengals.

According to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Maualuga isn’t sure the Bengals see him in their future plans.

Despite playing all 16 games for the Bengals and having his most productive tackling season of his career (122 tackles on the season), Maualuga experienced difficult in pass coverage and had his share of missed tackles as well.

“I felt as if the playoff game (against Houston) was sort of like, if I perform well they would want me. I don’t know if they want me, but I do know I didn’t perform well,” Maualuga said. “…I really don’t know if they want me back.”

Maualuga will be an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins in March.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Rey Maualuga uncertain of Bengals future”
  1. mazblast says: Jan 15, 2013 1:28 AM

When Bengals observers refer to Maualuga as a “bust”, they’re not referring to enshrinement in Canton. In space, people run right by him. In the trenches, they overpower him.

Between the discrepancy between his purported ability and actual play (rumor has it that Manti Te’o and Clay Matthews modeled their most recent games on him), and his propensity for getting in trouble, he’s been, well, a Bengal.

2. mazblast says: Jan 15, 2013 1:30 AM

One more thing–Burfict is a BEAST. The guy really can play. That’s not typical for a Bengal.

3. robolundgren says: Jan 15, 2013 1:32 AM

He was a second round pick.

4. rmosss says: Jan 15, 2013 1:40 AM

Hope the Vikings take a look at him.

5. nyjets1017 says: Jan 15, 2013 1:43 AM

jets need some new linebackers.

6. bgdabengal says: Jan 15, 2013 1:43 AM

From fan favourite to scum, Best of luck Rey.

7. wisdomd says: Jan 15, 2013 1:54 AM

Maualuga was picked in the second round in 2010, not the first.

8. dabearsk says: Jan 15, 2013 2:22 AM

Ray, if you could lighten up and learn how to run so you are not a two down linebacker then you will be wanted..otherwise you won’t be… Can’t be a unathletic two down linebacker anymore.

9. samoanjungle says: Jan 15, 2013 4:07 AM

Time for Rey to move on. Burfict is a better option at MLB and we will have Thomas Howard, who Burfict replaced due to injury, coming back at OLB.

10. bengalsmofo says: Jan 15, 2013 5:05 AM

My wife, who knows Rey socially, is a sometimes fan of the game, and never played a down of football in her life, watched him during the Texans game and asked, “What the hell is he doing out there?”

I hope he can pull it together. If not in Cincy, somewhere. His family deserves his best.

11. stilllovemybungles says: Jan 15, 2013 5:10 AM

Cut him!

12. joetoronto says: Jan 15, 2013 5:31 AM

There’s nothing good anyone can truly say about this guy.

He’s a turd and a lousy player too.

13. fuglyflorio says: Jan 15, 2013 5:46 AM

He was very over-rated coming out of college.

14. aftermath80 says: Jan 15, 2013 6:44 AM

I’d take him in Baltimore next year along side Ellerbe for the right price!

15. brums21 says: Jan 15, 2013 6:45 AM

I hope they let him go. Worst MLB in the league

16. bengalsstillsuck says: Jan 15, 2013 7:22 AM

America is uncertain of the bengals future they suck an so does there worthless fan base.

17. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jan 15, 2013 7:41 AM

He’s a great player but definitely the weakest leak (if you can even call it weak) out of the USC linebacking crew with Matthews and Cushing; probably the best LB lineup ever in college football. Burfict and his chihuahua have been a unique situtation there that has had a nice risk/reward pan out for Cincy but Rey will find a nice home somewhere if they don’t keep him around.

18. itguy76 says: Jan 15, 2013 7:45 AM

I would try to bring Rey back and have him move back to the strong side, I think he’s instinctive and better at reacting than thinking. He would also be a valuable backup in the middle. Burfict might have a future in the middle, but he played the weak side, so I don’t know if he’s ready for the middle next season. Plus, Burfict has to stay out of trouble, this is generally when players start to have problems. There are a number of good MLB in the draft, one or more of them will drop to the 2nd round, maybe Te’o drops, he’s supposed to have range and coverage skills but needs to add strength, maybe he moves to the weak side. So many of the Bengals LBs get hurt or don’t work out that I think you need to keep a guy like Maualuga if you can, I wouldn’t break the bank, but he is certainly worth bringing back.

19. badmajk24 says: Jan 15, 2013 7:48 AM

I defintely don’t wish for people to lose their jobs but the Bungals should not resign this guy. That last Texans game was absolutely horrendous. He will get another shot somewhere else, just please not here in the nasty nati. Horrible

20. vex24 says: Jan 15, 2013 7:58 AM

Premature, also slightly immature. Rey, just chill….and work on getting better. Period.

21. themagicman1223 says: Jan 15, 2013 8:04 AM

A terrible tackler and a terrible cover guy, Arian Foster humiliated him in the game. He’s not a very good linebacker. Maybe the Bengals can pick up a good one in round 1 or 2 of this years draft.

22. t8ertot says: Jan 15, 2013 8:14 AM

Underperformed all year. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out Rey

23. jm91rs says: Jan 15, 2013 8:37 AM

Overall Rey had his best season as a Bengal. For some reason when he lost that weight he seemed to stop being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bring him back, don’t guarantee him a starting spot and try to build depth in the draft.

24. bengalsucker says: Jan 15, 2013 8:37 AM

I’d be surprised if the Bengals sign him for a big contract. I’d say they try to get him for a low # to see if he can improve on this year. He played decent but is still missing a lot of plays or getting there late. I just don’t see him being the starting MLB for this team. If Burfict keeps his nose clean in the off season and improves in camp, I see him starting there.

25. britishraven says: Jan 15, 2013 8:48 AM

Don’t worry, the Raiders will sign you to a huge contract once they cut Rolando McClain

26. sellout1983 says: Jan 15, 2013 9:33 AM

Believe me when I say that the entire city went crazy for this guy when Cincinnati drafted him. But he makes it hard for fans to not just root for him but to even like him. He seems to not be a factor in big games and then gets a DUI, and then he punches a bar owner in the face downtown (after he swore off of alcohol). Maybe the Bengals aren’t sure they want you back because Rey isn’t sure he even wants to be in Cincinnati..

27. twindaddy says: Jan 15, 2013 4:12 PM

Horrible tackler and even worse in pass coverage. He can be a back up, but he better not be starting again next year.

28. ravensfan996 says: Jan 15, 2013 6:48 PM

Funny, I actually thought this guy was a pretty good player, he always seems to show up when playing against the Ravens, I guess that’s what happens when your on the outside looking in……..maybe he’s more of a 3-4 LB thena 4-3, just saying. Here’s wishing him the best.

29. whodeyz says: Jan 16, 2013 12:30 PM

every week you don’t know what you’re gonna get from this guy. he has played better this year, but the playoffs are the perfect example of the guy you’re gonna see out there. That game against the texans was even worse than normal. He looked like something was wrong with him…

if the bengals don’t take him back, then i’m sure he’ll catch on somewhere else and get coached up. the who dey LB core hasn’t been solid since i can ever remember. it’s a carousel and guys don’t stick around for long. Scouting and coaching is to blame on this one.

Ahmad Brooks is a perfect example of this. He was cut by the bengals and now starts for the 49ers and is a playmaker to boot.

30. jamesstinnett says: Jan 21, 2013 9:26 AM

Please dont bring this guy back!! He cant cover a TE to save his life… Pitta Destoys him.. Miller destoys him.. Every week the TE destoys him.. Also reading the stuff above about how hes not a bust because he was a second rd. pick, i disagree with. You can be a bust as a second rd. pick.. I remember watching that draft with my brothers, when Rey Mal. got picked we were pumped.. We thought WOW finally the Bengals got a linebacker thats gonna be a beast.. We thought he was gonna be the future of the Bengas.. So in my opinion he is a bust.