Moore looking for OC job, and one makes too much sense

7456 AP

The Titans brought veteran offensive coach Tom Moore in as a five-week consultant after they fired offensive coordinator Chris Palmer, offering replacement play-caller Dowell Loggains a set of training wheels.

But Moore said he’s now looking for a new challenge, and one seems more obvious than the rest.

“They have their coaching staff set there at Tennessee, and I don’t want anybody’s job. I want a job that is open,” Moore told Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean. “I truly enjoyed myself while I was there in Tennessee. It is a great organization. It was a privilege to work for them the short time I was there.

“But Mike [Munchak] has a coaching staff, and a good coaching staff. So it is time for me to find something else.”

Moore didn’t mention any specific possibilities, but there just so happens to be a team that just lost an offensive coordinator, which just so happens to employ a quarterback Moore is familiar with. Moore has only the thinnest background working with Denver coach John Fox, as they were with the Steelers together in 1989. But since the Broncos catered the offense to Peyton Manning this year anyway under now-Chargers head coach Mike McCoy, and Moore called that offense with the Colts, it’s simply a logical step to make.

But Moore wants everyone with an opening to know he’s available.

“I’d like to get a job as an offensive coordinator in the National Football League. I don’t know if that is going to transpire or if that is going to happen, but that’s what I want to do. I don’t want it to be a deep, dark secret,” he said. “If it doesn’t, I certainly haven’t been cheated, but that is what I would like to do. Anyone that’s open, I’m interested.”

Moore said he played golf with Bengals coach Tuesday, but the Bengals don’t have an opening yet (though coordinator Jay Gruden has made the interview rounds).

“I am still young by my standards, so I can do it. I’m a young 74,” Moore said. “You have to do something worthwhile in your life, and I feel I have some things to offer.

“I am not going to sit around in good health and good mind and vegetate and not be able to do something productive. Hopefully somebody will give me a shot.”

Again, Fox might not have any interest in Moore. But some fits just seem so natural and make too much sense to not consider.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
10 Responses to “Moore looking for OC job, and one makes too much sense”
  1. realdealsteel says: Jan 16, 2013 10:07 AM

Moore is a guru. He’s proven himself. Anyone would be nuts not to want him as an OC.

2. supremecomander says: Jan 16, 2013 10:12 AM

Big props to guys like Tom Moore (74), Monte Kiffin (72) and Dick LeBeau (75) for still grinding long past retirement age. My own pops couldn’t wait to hang it up at 50 and mooch off his kids. These coaches are a great model to their sons and grandsons.

3. Nickstixx says: Jan 16, 2013 10:22 AM

Personally, I think I would rather want Ken Whisenhunt as the OC in Denver. But yeah, this does seem like a no brainer and what Peyton would want. We all know he gets his way, except for when he tries throwing across his body in OT…

4. barroomhero80 says: Jan 16, 2013 10:24 AM

Get rid of musgrave and snatch him up

5. johnnyjagfan says: Jan 16, 2013 10:41 AM

Bring him to JAX and let’s build a prolific offense. But my money’s on Peyton to tell Elway and Fox that he wants to finish his career on familiar footing.

6. 1oldpro says: Jan 16, 2013 10:50 AM

Oh, please no! Not Moore and Manning together again. It makes too much sense and my team almost never beat them before. Of course, my team thinks the play action screen pass on third and thirteen is the coolest weapon ever invented.

7. jasonculhane says: Jan 16, 2013 11:28 AM

Tom Moore is great, but the Broncos would be wise to bring in someone who can add wrinkles with Manning, not to mention Moore is very old.

I think they should hire John Gruden, he needs something to prove and I think it would be constructive chemistry between the two.

Replicating the Colts offense is what gets Manning in trouble every post season. The constant same plays, over and over again. Especially when you play the same teams 2 times.

8. jasonculhane says: Jan 16, 2013 11:30 AM

But on the other hand, if no one else is available, hell hire the guy I guess. I’m just saying he wouldn’t be my first choice at this time.

9. dionoil says: Jan 16, 2013 11:30 AM

Imagine what he could do with cam newton

10. gtrdonald says: Jan 16, 2013 11:36 AM

What is Grandpa Munster doing next to Peyton Manning in that picture?