Darin Gantt joins PFT Live to discuss the Eagles’ hire of Chip Kelly and the latest news coming out of Carolina’s camp. Panthers’ owner Jerry Richardson claims the franchise will be sold two years after his death and Gantt explains the ramifications of this move to Richardson’s legacy and much more.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
PFT Live: Panthers to be sold soon?
Word from Denver was that wide receiver Jordan Norwood had done enough this summer to have a firm grip on a roster spot as the team’s punt returner and sixth wideout, but that status changed on Wednesday.
Norwood injured his left knee while running a pattern during the team’s joint practice with the Texans and Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that Norwood has suffered a torn ACL. If that becomes a confirmed diagnosis, Norwood won’t play this season.
Norwood didn’t play in the NFL last season and played 16 games for the Browns in 2011 and 2012 before a foot injury knocked him out in his final year with the Browns. He caught 36 passes for 405 yards and a touchdown. He had four catches for 54 yards and two punt returns for 37 yards for the Broncos in their first two preseason games.
If Norwood’s out of the picture, undrafted rookie Isaiah Burse could have an improved chance to make the team as he’s also seen time on punt returns. The Broncos could also opt to use Wes Welker or look at other options, however, so Burse will have to impress if given more opportunities in the wake of Norwood’s injury.
The Bengals are about to get one of their best players back on the field.
According to Coley Harvey of ESPN.com, defensive tackle Geno Atkins is scheduled to play a few series Sunday against the Cardinals.
Atkins, who tore his ACL on Oct. 31, was activated from PUP at the start of camp but didn’t play in the first two games.
“Having him back’s a huge deal for us,” defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said. “It’s good to see him back. It definitely means a big deal to us.
“I’m sure he’s ready to get back and get his confidence up. I’m sure he’s anxious to get back in there and play with the guys.”
Atkins was off to another great start last year, with 6.0 sacks before going down with the knee injury in Week Nine. Getting him back will obviously be a big boost for the Bengals defense, as few players can create the kind of interior push Atkins can when he’s well.
Tom Pelissero of USA Today reports that the Rams have waived-injured Pead on Wednesday. Should Pead clear waivers, he can revert to the Rams and go on injured reserve for the entire season or reach an injury settlement that makes him a free agent.
With 17 carries for 75 yards and 14 catches for 94 yards, Pead hasn’t lived up to what the Rams hoped they’d be getting when they made him the 58th overall pick in the 2012 draft. He was highly regarded coming out of Cincinnati, though, so there may be another team willing to roll the dice on a player who is signed to his rookie contract through next season.
With Pead out of the picture, rookie Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham are behind Zac Stacy on the running back depth chart with the Rams. Things probably wouldn’t have looked much different if Pead had remained healthy, so he may not have much of a future in St. Louis even if he does clear waivers.
A medical evaluation given to Bills quarterback Jim Kelly on Tuesday found “no evidence” of cancer, a doctor at the Manhattan hospital where Kelly has been treated said Wednesday afternoon.
“The great news is that upon physical examination, there is no evidence of the cancer,” said Dr. Peter Costantino, the executive director of the New York Head and Neck Institute at Lenox Hill Hospital, in a statement issued by the hospital. (A hat tip to ESPN’s Mike Rodak for pointing this out.)
Kelly has been battling oral cancer and underwent chemotherapy earlier this year. According to the hospital, Kelly will continue to be evaluated and will undergo more tests.
“It is possible that no further treatment will be required, and the testing over the next week will define this issue,” Costantino said.
Surgery and “highly focused” radiation treatment would be options for Kelly if needed, the hospital said.
Kelly has responded well to the care he’s received, Costantino said.
“The treatments so far have completely eliminated Mr. Kelly’s pain and his level of function has essentially returned to normal,” Costantino said.
The 54-year-old Kelly was able to attend the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony for teammate Andre Reed earlier this month.
The sight of ice bucket challenges has become common across NFL training camps, but in Tennessee, it had a little more meaning Wednesday.
Former Titans linebacker Tim Shaw was there for it, a day after announcing he had been diagnosed with ALS in April.
“I would never say I am not afraid of anything,” Shaw said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean. “If you look at what ALS has done to people, that is a scary process. So I am not scared to die, but the process is a little daunting.”
The 30-year-old Shaw was visibly emotional while describing the process, as he said he could tell he was losing athletic ability and his muscles were twitching long before the diagnosis, which he called: “the hardest thing I’ve ever had to hear.”
“Every thought runs through your mind, but as a man you have a choice,” Shaw said. “What are you going to do? Are you going to stand up and fight for your life? Or are you going to accept what someone else tells you is reality and just fade away? As staggering as that news was and as shocking as it was to hear and to say, I made that choice to stand up and live life to the fullest like I believe I always have.”
Along with former Saints safety Steve Gleason, that’s the kind of face ALS needs, to inspire others to fight one of the most despicable diseases known to man.
Well, this is interesting.
Earlier Wednesday, the Eagles said they were waiving Fluellen, a Toledo product. And the Colts, for their part, had announced Tuesday evening they would be parting ways with Parkey, who played collegiately at Auburn.
In the end, both clubs struck a deal rather than placing the players on waivers.
And in the end, it might be a good fit for both players, especially Parkey, who will have a chance to compete with Alex Henery, whose performance reportedly has come under some scrutiny.
On Tuesday, special teams coordinator Dave Fipp indicated the club would be evaluating both Henery and other potential kicking competitors, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“All options are available. We’ll look at everybody, and we’ll continue to watch Al. The biggest thing is we hope to get Al a bunch of work in these next two games, and we’ll find out,” Fipp said, per the Inquirer.
Fluellen joins a crowded backfield in Indianapolis, which has six healthy tailbacks on the roster. However, the Colts liked him enough to trade for him as opposed to hoping he could be landed on waivers.
The Browns officially named Brian Hoyer their starting quarterback for the first week of the regular season on Wednesday, leaving first-round pick and 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel to serve as the No. 2 quarterback to start his first year in the NFL.
Browns coach Mike Pettine said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, that Manziel reacted “as expected” because he’s “a competitor.” He also said that he didn’t question Manziel’s dedication to the game after an offseason that had some wondering whether Manziel’s fondness for the good life would have the Browns doing just that.
For his part, Manziel said he felt he got a fair opportunity to win the starting job and that “I don’t feel like I would’ve gone back and done anything differently” over the last few months. Instead, he put the focus on his own performance and said he didn’t “necessarily” feel like he was ready to get the nod from Pettine.
“If I would’ve come out and played better, I think it would’ve been a different outcome,” Manziel said.
It’s probably a fair assessment of the situation. Hoyer didn’t set the world on fire this summer, so it’s hard to feel that all of the rolled up dollar bills, drinking on inflatable swans and extended middle fingers in the world would have stopped Manziel from getting to the top of the depth chart if he’d been the clearly superior player on the field.
We now know that Brian Hoyer will start Week One for the Browns. We don’t know how long beyond Week One he’ll keep the job.
The hot spot seems to be Week Five, after Cleveland opens against Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and Baltimore — and then has a Week Four bye. After the Sunday off, owner Jimmy Haslam takes his football team back to his home state of Tennessee.
Which could coincide with Haslam bringing his new car out of the garage and showing it off.
Provide your own answer below, and join Kevin Gilbride, Ross Tucker, and yours truly at 6:00 p.m. ET to see what everyone thinks.
We’ll also address five questions regarding offensive line play, and we’ll play the “Analyze This” game with recent comments from J.J. Watt and Tony Gonzalez.
The Bills were dealt a heavy blow this summer when linebacker Kiko Alonso tore his ACL while working out before training camp.
That injury will keep Alonso out for the entire season and the Bills announced Wednesday that he’ll have some company in the linebacker section of injured reserve. They have placed Stevenson Sylvester on injured reserve because of what Mike Rodak of ESPN.com reports is a torn patella tendon.
Sylvester, who spent the last four years with the Steelers, signed with the Bills in July after Alonso was hurt and was part of the mix of players looking for snaps at outside linebacker.
Nigel Bradham, another one of those players and the one pencilled into Alonso’s spot in the starting lineup, will serve a suspension in the first week of the regular season. With Sylvester out of the picture as a possible replacement, Preston Brown is the likeliest candidate to be in the starting lineup against the Bears come September 7.
While Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley has lost his starting job, one of the club’s stars still has hope he can find his way.
Speaking to reporters Wednesday, fellow defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh indicated Fairley’s skill set remains strong — and that now is the time to show it.
“I haven’t said this a lot or to many people, more or less, but Nick is more athletically gifted than me, and he has an opportunity to be better than me, and that’s what I want to see out of him,” Suh said Wednesday, according to Ashley Dunkak of CBS Detroit.
The Lions’ 2011 first round pick, Fairley has shown intriguing ability in his NFL career. He recorded a half-dozen sacks a season ago — an impressive total for an interior lineman.
However, it’s clear Fairley still has something to prove to the Lions. The club didn’t exercise an option to extend his contract through 2015, and he was demoted from the starting lineup last week in favor of C.J. Mosley.
According to CBS Detroit, Fairley told reporters Wednesday he wants to shed 10 pounds from his current weight of 315. He also indicated he believes he’ll be starting by the regular season opener vs. the Giants.
Fairley said Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin wants him to “play consistent.”
“That’s just something I’ve got to do this season,” Fairley said, per CBS Detroit.
And time is of the essence for Fairley, with unrestricted free agency around the corner.
With the addition of a pair of contributor nominees, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is only nominating one player from the Seniors Committee this year.
And that player is one of the most durable and productive players in football history.
The Hall announced this afternoon that longtime Vikings center Mick Tingelhoff was this year’s lone Seniors nominee.
He won’t be competing for a spot in Canton with modern players, as he will be subject to a yes/no vote, and needs 80 percent to earn his spot. While not a rubber stamp, the recent record is good for those presented by the seniors committee.
A six-time Pro Bowler and five-time All-Pro, Tingelhoff started all 240 games he played for the Vikings over a 17-year career.
Texans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney didn’t impress Falcons running back Antone Smith when he buried Smith in the backfield during last weekend’s preseason game, but he’s impressed most other people with his first couple of performances in the NFL.
He impressed the Broncos during Tuesday’s joint practice with Houston as well, but Wednesday didn’t go as well for the first overall pick. Lindsay Jones of USA Today reports that Clowney left the session during 9-on-7 drills and went to the medical tent. Per Jones, Clowney “was walking OK, but looked uncomfortable” on his way to get checked out by the doctors.
Clowney didn’t return to practice after heading to the tent and Jones reports that he took off his shoulder pads so trainers could have a look at the left side of his neck.
We’ll have to wait to get a more detailed update on Clowney’s condition, but it seems a safe bet that the Texans will take every precaution necessary to make sure that their first-round pick is clear of any concerns before he returns to the field.
Cowboys cornerback Orlando Scandrick is going to work harder during his suspension than he had to during training camp.
Scandrick, who was suspended four games for violating the league’s PED policy, said he intends to be ready when he walks back in the door, and will be putting himself through two-a-days each day while he’s away from the team. He’s going back to Los Angeles to work with the personal trainer he uses in the offseason.
“I’m not going to do anything but train and prepare myself to play every day,” Scandrick said, via Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com. “I’m going to come back ready.”
While it’s impossible to duplicate football practice without the benefit of a team, he will be doing defensive back drills and catching tennis balls out of a machine in addition to his strength and conditioning.
With a little luck, none of those sessions will be in Mexico, and he’ll always know what he’s drinking.
The amount of flags for defensive holding and illegal contact have been a major talking point throughout the preseason and one player affected by them thinks he knows why the league moved to emphasize those calls this season.
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said there are “no ifs, ands or buts” about the league’s reaction coming as a result of the Seahawks’ victory over the Broncos in the Super Bowl. The Seahawks secondary was one of the most, if not the most, physical defenses in the league and Hall thinks they used that to their advantage and that the rest of the league’s defensive backs are paying the price.
“Seahawks got their ring, they did it their way … now we have to pay the consequences,” Hall said, via Dianna Marie Russini of NBC Washington.
This year’s shift hasn’t really hurt the Seahawks, who have been called for a relatively low three illegal contact penalties, although it’s not the first time that anyone has drawn a line between the Seahawks’ style of play and the league’s decision to crack down on those types of infractions. It is hardly the first time that the league has moved to make life more difficult on pass defenders in recent years, though. Defensive backs have been paying the consequences of the league’s moves to create more passing offense for a while now and this year’s emphasis on holding and illegal contact falls right in the same line.
The Jaguars are reportedly set to add another fullback.
The club will sign blocking back Eric Kettani, who was most recently with the Chiefs, Aaron Wilson of National Football Post reported Wednesday. Kansas City waived the 27-year-old Kettani in May.
To sign Kettani, the Jaguars will have to clear a roster spot, as they are at the 90-player limit.
A Navy product, Kettani (5-11, 240) has also had stints with Washington and New England. His NFL career has twice been put on hold for naval service.
Before adding Kettani, the Jaguars had two fullbacks — Will Ta’ufo’ou and Harvey Unga.