Alfonzo Dennard missed practice to appear in court

Alfonzo Dennard, Aqib Talib AP

The Patriots said Wednesday that cornerback Alfonzo Dennard missed practice for a non-injury related issue.

That’s certainly easier to log into the injury report than “in court in Nebraska.”

According to Field Yates of ESPNBoston.com, Dennard was at a court hearing on pre-trial motions related to his April 2012 arrest on felony assault charges. Dennard allegedly punched a police officer during an altercation outside a Lincoln, Neb. bar.

Court documents said his trial date has been set for Feb. 11, 2013, safely on the other side of the Super Bowl.

Dennard started Sunday’s playoff win over the Texans, after starting seven games during the regular season.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Alfonzo Dennard missed practice to appear in court”
  1. fuglyflorio says: Jan 17, 2013 11:37 AM

Next year … he’s off to the Bengals.

2. cliverush says: Jan 17, 2013 11:37 AM

This makes it two bad boys starting for the Pats at cornerback. Think I like it.

3. dmartin17 says: Jan 17, 2013 11:38 AM

He’s become a big part of the Patriots defense, along with Talib.

4. gronkspike802 says: Jan 17, 2013 12:05 PM

These two are the main reason the Patriots had the #9 defense this season. And I rank defenses by points, not yards unlike most of the major media outlets. Last I checked, yards don’t win games. Points do.

5. ijahru says: Jan 17, 2013 12:11 PM

This caused him to drop in the draft. Hopefully he can serve whatever time he gets for the incident before training camp next year and get on with his life. IF the Patriots resign Talib he and Dennard will form a great CB combo allowing Arrington to stay in the slot where he belongs.

6. patfanken says: Jan 17, 2013 12:19 PM

You might want to add to your report that it was an off duty police officer that was ALLEGEDLY struck. Funny how you managed to get in the word “felony” while ignoring the fact it was a off duty cop.

This is going a way. You know it and I know it. What a shock, a there was a fight in a college bar. Error on Dennard’s part to be involved, but lets not permanently scar someone for an act of indiscretion when he was in college

7. micronin127 says: Jan 17, 2013 12:20 PM

Patriots turn every game that they can into a track meet and work very fast on offense.

This puts their defense back on the field a lot.

They will never be at the top of the league for yards allowed per game as there are so many more drives per team in a Patriots game.

8. comatrip1 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:00 PM

Had *I* allegedly punched a police officer, I’d have been beaten and thrown in prison for a month. But he’s a New England Patriot. He’ll never see jail time.

9. CKL says: Jan 17, 2013 1:55 PM

When I heard it was not injury related I wondered if his girl had their baby.

@gronkspike,
    Can’t leave out big Vince. He’s the Pats’ “Revis”…in other words, without him, the D is bleeped.

I’m not a fan of having bad boys, but I have to say, there is no great defense in this league that doesn’t have some “crazy” on it.

10. rc33 says: Jan 17, 2013 2:02 PM

comatrip1 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:00 PM

——————————–
    Brilliant analysis. Thanks for the “insight.”

11. patsfiend says: Jan 17, 2013 2:03 PM

A starting corner for a 7th round pick vs. Ras-I (a high round pick) who is by any measure a big bust.

Drafting in the NFL… it’s a gamble, and while BB has had his failures in the high rounds, he sure gets good depth out of those lower round picks.

12. anotheryx says: Jan 17, 2013 4:23 PM

Well, his trouble was the only reason Pats got him in 7th round, as he was projected to be a second and maybe stretch fist round talent before his adventure. Can’t pin this one on Pats I guess…

13. randallflagg52 says: Jan 18, 2013 4:47 AM

CKL says:
    Jan 17, 2013 1:55 PM
    When I heard it was not injury related I wondered if his girl had their baby.

@gronkspike,

===================================

No one anywhere is calling the pats defense great, their defense is just crazy. Especially their cornerback corp.