Chip Kelly dances around question of final say

Philadelphia Eagles Introduce Chip Kelly Getty Images

For 14 years, Eagles coach Andy Reid had final say over the team’s roster.  Today, it’s not clear who holds that power.

New Eagles coach Chip Kelly was asked whether he has final say on Thursday, and he didn’t answer the question directly.

“My role right now is clearly defining what we want,” Kelly said at his introductory press conference.  “What is a cornerback?  What are we looking for?  What’s the height? What’s the weight?  What’s the speed?  What’s the makeup of each individual position here?  Then in collaboration with everybody here, not one person can do it all.  I’ve heard questions [indicating] that I want control over this, control over that.  That has never been an issue, never is an issue for me.  I’m a football coach.  I’m not a general manager.  I’m not a salary cap guy.  I coach football.  I need people who can go out there and say, ‘Hey this is what you want. These are the people.’  And it’s going to be a collaboration.  We’re all going to be on the same page.  I’ve got no delusions of saying that I want all these different titles.  I just want to coach football.”

In other words, Kelly apparently doesn’t have final say over the roster.  Or he doesn’t want anyone to know that he does, given that he has zero experience at the NFL level, in any capacity.

Owner Jeffrey Lurie didn’t address the issue of final say during the press conference.

Presumably, G.M. Howie Roseman possesses final say if Kelly doesn’t.  There’s also a chance that neither do, and that if Kelly and Roseman can’t work things out, the tie will be broken by Lurie.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Chip Kelly dances around question of final say”
  1. ttommytom says: Jan 17, 2013 8:17 PM

My wife has final say, that is all I know…

2. jdbar50 says: Jan 17, 2013 8:22 PM

Andy destroyed himself with that final say stuff – Chip seems to just want to coach and not build an empire, lets let him coach!

3. uncledick says: Jan 17, 2013 8:24 PM

I agree with him, it needs to be a collaboration. At least he answers instead of saying, “I’m not going to go into that”

4. jacunn2000 says: Jan 17, 2013 8:26 PM

He is lost. He is used to an AD, not an owner. This hire was a mistake.

5. shlort says: Jan 17, 2013 8:33 PM

I am sure he will have some say on personnel. Who would want to coach a team when the owner and GM say “Here is your guys, bring me a Lombardi”.

That being said, I am guessing that the managemnt in Philly wants to make sure Chip does what is best to build a team that can win. Drafting players and picking up FAs isnt a guessing game or a deal where if you really like a player. you need him. But Chip will learn everything in short order. Draft is in April, lets see what happens.

6. proBirdie says: Jan 17, 2013 8:42 PM

For many of the 14 years, Andy did not have final say actually.

7. bullpuppy552 says: Jan 17, 2013 8:49 PM

Looking forward to watching Kelly fall flat on his face in the NFL.

8. 3fingerlenny says: Jan 17, 2013 9:01 PM

Chip has big b@lls

9. haterswelcomed says: Jan 17, 2013 9:09 PM

For all you idiots out there who think “This is a bad hire” … Tell me this: Who was Andy Reid before the Eagles? Thought so! Shut you cawk suckers!

10. thetooloftools says: Jan 17, 2013 9:14 PM

We’ll see how this marriage is working when things get tough. Right now everyone is in “honeymoon” phase.

11. dalucks says: Jan 17, 2013 9:19 PM

With the Eagles being 20 plus million dollars under the salary cap, please explain to me why Michael Vick needs to take a paycut?
    20 plus million dollars is enough kelly greens to fix the offensive line which was the weakest link of the 2012 Philadelphia Eagles. Plus the Eagles have a top 4 draft pick so rebuilding the offensive line should be easy.
    Anyone who thinks differently is uncivilized.

12. larrydavid7000 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:24 PM

all ready doesn’t know what’s going on. good luck beagels. crash beagles crash.

13. patssteelersorgiants says: Jan 17, 2013 9:25 PM

Translated: Howie has final say.

14. 8bithero12 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:47 PM

You know, it will be nice to have an actual coach to focus ON the game situations. Like Trotter said, Andy was out coached in the big games.

15. randolph32 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:01 PM

Lovie had final say, and now he’s Out of a Job, and for good reason, most of these Coach’s can’t evaluate talent….let’s see, Orlando Pace, John Lynch, etc, great signings Lovie.

16. paulz624 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:02 PM

If anyone heard Jeff Laurie the day he fired Andy Reid he made it very clear, The new coach will report directly to him (Laurie). For Kelly to be able to go right to the owner means he had a lot of say.

17. bobbyhoying says: Jan 17, 2013 10:06 PM

Jacksonville is laughing at the Gold Standard. They got the real NFL coach.

18. greymares says: Jan 17, 2013 10:16 PM

dalucks says:
    Jan 17, 2013 9:19 PM
    Anyone who thinks differently is uncivilized.——————————————————————————————————————————the offensive line will be fixed by doctors not dollars. and Mike Vick will be cut, he can’t play.

19. kvanhorn87 says: Jan 17, 2013 11:29 PM

Jacksonville is laughing at the Gold Standard. They got the real NFL coach.
    ————-
    The Eagles let him go.

20. drbob117 says: Jan 17, 2013 11:41 PM

I thought he was pretty clear myself when he said “collaboration” that ‘final say’ is nonsense for people with big egos, Kelly and Roseman will go to work tomorrow to bring the best talent they can on board and that will be it.

21. thesmedman says: Jan 18, 2013 12:04 AM

This guy’s stupid comments makes you almost wonder if the Eagles PR team is incompetent.

It also makes you long for the silence of Andy Reid. He may not have said anything, but at least it wasn’t stupid. Reminding me a lot of Ray Rhodes in that final year, too…

22. Simon says: Jan 18, 2013 12:24 AM

Vick needs to go away. I’d rather grow with Foles, than stay with Vick. No upside,

23. Simon says: Jan 18, 2013 12:25 AM

Vick needs to go away. I’d rather grow with Foles, than stay with Vick. No upside.

24. boltdaddy says: Jan 18, 2013 1:09 AM

If Kelly is successful following the success of Harbaugh and Carroll this may be the beginning of the end of retread coaches. Interesting to see how he does. He does have some speed on offense to work with though.

25. shlort says: Jan 18, 2013 1:13 PM

boltdaddy says:Jan 18, 2013 1:09 AM

___________________________

Chip Kelly doesnt have a QB on the roster right now that can play well enough in a Harbaugh or Carroll Scheme. Not many teams do because these players arent a dime a dozen. Very few QBs can make happen what some of these guys make happen. Not to mention, these schemes are untested in the NFL. One season proves nothing. The ability to adapt the system to produce year in and year out is the real measure. I dont see the read option being around after a couple more seasons.

26. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jan 27, 2013 4:29 PM

Unbelievable.

Next year in Philly will be Karma for firing Andy Reid.