PFT’s Championship Game picks

350x-2 AP

Last week, MDS and yours truly agreed on every pick.  After Saturday’s games, it looked like we’d be Thelma-and-Louiseing our way to an 0-4 weekend.

But after getting it wrong by relying on the Broncos and Packers, we were perfect on Sunday with the Falcons and Patriots.

So the question now becomes whether we reward the Falcons and the Patriots for making us look a little less like idiots by picking them to go to the Super Bowl.

In one case, yes.  In another case, no.  Either way, we’ve clasped hands and hit the pedal to the metal with the car pointed in the general direction of a canyon.

49ers at Falcons

MDS’s take: People have been picking against the Falcons all year, and the Falcons keep winning. Now the Falcons are hosting the NFC Championship Game, and they’re underdogs at home, so if they want to play the “disrespect” card, they’re free to do so. And I’ll add a little more fuel to that particular fire by saying that not only do I think the 49ers are going to win, but I’m not even sure the Falcons can keep it close. San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick is coming off the greatest rushing performance by a quarterback in NFL history, while the Falcons have struggled against running quarterbacks: Seattle’s Russell Wilson gained 60 yards on the ground in Atlanta last week, Cam Newton had 86 and 116 rushing yards against the Falcons in his two games against the Falcons and Michael Vick had 42 rushing yards against the Falcons in October. I look for Kaepernick to have another big game as the 49ers roll.

MDS’s pick: 49ers 35, Falcons 17.

Florio’s take:  Many are pooh-poohing the ability of quarterback Colin Kaepernick to duplicate his performance from Saturday night when the 49er go to Atlanta, pointing to his struggles on the road in Seattle, where it is loud and hostile and challenging to operate.  But in his first game as the starter at a time when Alex Smith was healthy, Kaepernick faced in the Superdome a Saints team that had clawed its way back to .500.  And it was loud and hostile and challenging to operate.  And Kaepernick got the job done.  Though the Falcons pulled out a stirring win over Seattle, the victory came in the wake of a historic defensive collapse.  It’ll be a lot harder not to collapse earlier when facing Kaepernick, who is a shade better than Russell Wilson — and who has more to work with on both sides of the ball than the Seahawks rookie.

Florio’s pick:  49ers 27, Falcons 17.

Ravens at Patriots

MDS’s take: The Ravens have typically played well against the Patriots, including in a 31-30 Week Three win. In that game, Joe Flacco had 382 passing yards, Torrey Smith had 127 receiving yards and Ray Rice had 101 rushing yards, and I think the Ravens will need that kind of offensive performance if they’re going to have any hope of winning in New England on Sunday. Unfortunately for Baltimore, the Patriots’ defense is playing better now than it was early in the regular season, and that’s going to be the difference this time.  Flacco won’t have the same kind of passing game in the regular season, but Tom Brady will have another big performance against the Ravens’ secondary. The Patriots are headed back to the Super Bowl.

MDS’s pick: Patriots 30, Ravens 20.

Florio’s take:  In September, I picked the Patriots to make it back to the Super Bowl.  So how can I pick against them in the game that would put them there?  Actually, it’s a convenient way to play both sides of the fence, and I’m tempted to pick the Ravens; it just feels like it’s time for them to get back to the Super Bowl, and I’d love to see a Harbaugh-vs.-Harbaugh battle for the NFL title.  But it also feels like it’s time for the Patriots to get back to the Super Bowl and win it.  With the Giants out of the mix, this could be the year to make that happen.  So for no particular reason other than it wouldn’t be right to abandon my AFC Super Bowl pick this close to it coming to fruition, the Pats hold serve and head back to the site of their first Super Bowl win.

Florio’s pick:  Patriots 27, Ravens 24.

Permalink 83 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Features, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
83 Responses to “PFT’s Championship Game picks”
  1. bucrightoff says: Jan 17, 2013 10:30 AM

Falcons are going to get physically dominated, Matt Ryan will make at least one crucial error and Kaepernick goes for 500+ total yards again.

49ers 48 Falcons 17.

2. cusoman says: Jan 17, 2013 10:31 AM

Must be hard for you guys to not be able to pick the Packers this week.

3. southpaw2k says: Jan 17, 2013 10:32 AM

The storybook ending to a Hall of Fame career does not end Sunday night.

Ravens 30
    Patriots 27

4. thesteeg says: Jan 17, 2013 10:33 AM

How’s that fence feel under your ass Florio?

5. chudisoursavor19gobrowns says: Jan 17, 2013 10:37 AM

I think it’ll be Harbaugh vs Harbaugh to get the last hot wing. They’ll both be at home watching he game.

6. whatnojets says: Jan 17, 2013 10:38 AM

So, The New York Jets don’t have a chance to win this years Super Bowl??

7. discosucs2005 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:42 AM

So what was the mistake when the 49ers played the Pats? The 49ers letting the Pats make it close , or the 49ers winning?

8. sirsupersouthern says: Jan 17, 2013 10:43 AM

Thanks for posting the stats the Falcons gave up against other mobile QBs, MDS. I hadn’t thought to look into that and it’s very valuable information to know…

9. superschrec says: Jan 17, 2013 10:43 AM

San Francisco vs New England in the Super Bowl…Kaepernick will light up the Falcons becuase they have had issues defending quarterbacks of his skill sets al year and Tom Brady isnt going to lose to Ray Lewis. NOT A PATROIT’s FAN. But Brady is going to make the bonehead mistakes that Manning did.
    #mudncleats

10. thehuckster404 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:44 AM

My only issue with all the 49ers love is the total disregard for the Falcons offense. Prior to last weeks game, Seattle had a top 3 total defense. And then gave up 30. I know Clemons was injured, but this was largely the same defense that held SF under 20 points just a couple of weeks earlier. Likewise, the vaunted D of the 9ers gave up 40+ points to Seattle in the same game.

Salivate over the probable 9ers rushing domination all you want, but a Falcons prediction of 17 points is poorly conceived.

11. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:47 AM

Grudge match in New England !

Hope the Pats win but it will be a tough game, that’s for sure.

12. slobmykolb says: Jan 17, 2013 10:50 AM

Wow I love both the doubt of Atlanta and the complete overhype of kaeperdick. Is he talented? Yes absolutely is he fun to watch? For sure. Is he the best qb the falcons have faced and beat? By no means not even close. So I assume everyone thinks Colin is just going to dominate atl but you failed to mention how Atlanta faced the “great” RGIII and held him in check (not to mention started his knee troubles). Cam did shred them the second time they faced each other but ill take a qb getting 80 yds rushing and a touchdown and Wilson had 60 n a td but both those games were won by Atlanta. I do think Colin will have a good game prob 75 yds rushing n a score but he will not shred them with his legs (or arm for that matter) and Atlanta wins this one also in a close game. Poor 9ers fans have to suffer another NFC Championship loss! I do hope that the other annoying harbaugh does win tho cuz I think atl can beat Baltimore but if its the pats I think Brady will shred them and it wouldn’t b very close. See I’m not totally biased to Atlanta I know they can be beat. Just not by San Fran!!

13. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jan 17, 2013 10:57 AM

Yessss, please keep bashing Baltimore, you’re only fueling the fire of a rowdy beast destined for glory resembling something from the ’80’s flick Heavy Metal.

14. gamustangdude says: Jan 17, 2013 11:01 AM

As a Falcon’s fan I understand the inconsistency the Falcon’s bring to the table. Everyone has been pointing to the fact that Atlanta is vuleneralble to mobile QBs. Stats say the falcons will get dominated, despite looking at the bigger stat the “W”. Falcons have given up some yards and highlight reels to mobile QBs this season but have won those games. There’s no doubt in my mind that Colin and the 49ers will put up points, however Atlanta does have the talent to keep the game close. If Atlanta can keep it close I expect the Falcons to pull out another nail bitter. However, I can see the possibility of the Falcons getting blown out the water. Hell it happend against the Packers two years ago at home, and against the Giants last year. Keep in mind, despite the stats the Falcons have given up against mobile QB’s they still managed a 4-1 record against those mobile QB’s. The match up to me is not how the Falcons defense handles Colin, but how the Falcons offense handles Willis & Co. The Falcons have a bunch of tools ready to exploit the San Fran secondary. Hopefully the offensive line gives Matt Ryan the time he needs, or the Falcons focus on the short game to losen up the San Fran defense. Either way, I expect the Falcons to win a close one.

15. iamthefootballjerk says: Jan 17, 2013 11:05 AM

A 10 point win for the Pats MSD? How do hacks like you even have a job that allows you to publicly pick NFL games.

16. bucrightoff says: Jan 17, 2013 11:05 AM

Lest we forget the Falcons are a Pete Carrol timeout away from being golfing this weekend. The Seahawks went up and down the field on the Falcons D, the 49ers offense is as good or better. The 49ers defense is also better than the Seahawks. The Falcons might run for 50 yards for the game. If it looks like a blowout, and smells like a blowout..

17. cags777 says: Jan 17, 2013 11:05 AM

Ravens-49ers Super Bowl.

18. azarkhan says: Jan 17, 2013 11:08 AM

Love to see a 49er vs. Patriots rematch in the Super Bowl.

19. ratbirdsrule says: Jan 17, 2013 11:10 AM

I know Baltimore getting 9pts is a lot…have to take the pts, it will be a close one… 1 big play or turnover to determine the victor.

20. jamaltimore says: Jan 17, 2013 11:13 AM

Wow, you picked the Patriots over the Ravens what geniuses! 4 seed in AFC championship games are 6-1 and by Sunday night they will be 7-1.

Ravens are going to bully the patriots sunday night on offense and defense and I don’t expect the specials to allow 14 points like last week. I would not be surprised if it’s not close.

Ravens 31-21! Book it.

21. m1a1mg says: Jan 17, 2013 11:13 AM

As a Falcons fan, I fully agree that they should be the underdog in this game. I’ll go further to say that the 49ers will probably win.

What bothers me is Florio’s rationale. CK was not the difference in the game against the Saints. He had a decent game, 16-25 for 231 1 TD/1 INT. He also added 27 yards rushing. But the 49ers D won that game with 2 pick 6’s, not the SF offense which scored 17 points.

22. steelersownyou says: Jan 17, 2013 11:17 AM

23. steelersownyou says: Jan 17, 2013 11:18 AM

Brady gonna put 50 pts up on that terrible Ratbird D. Their secondary is awful. I could throw for 300 tds and 4 td’s against it. Steelers woulda been the only team to compete with the pats. #1 defense overall. #1 against the pass and #2 agai.st the run. Brady doesn’t fear that 22nd ranked defense! Of the ratbirds. Who would?????!

24. jalbs says: Jan 17, 2013 11:20 AM

San Fran 34
    Atlanta 20

Baltimore 37
    NE 34

25. turfrage says: Jan 17, 2013 11:24 AM

Pats vs Niners

26. fwippel says: Jan 17, 2013 11:24 AM

I think this is the year Baltimore FINALLY gets over the hump, and into the Super Bowl. If the Ravens special teams can clean up their mess from last weekend, they’ll be headed to New Orleans.

And yeah, I think it is interesting that Atlanta is getting little to no respect. They beat a very good Seattle team last weekend with QB whose style is quite similar to Colin Kaepernick’s. While I still like the 49ers to win this one, I expect this to be very close, and wouldn’t be surprised to see an overtime game. San Francisco has the better defense, no question. But Altanta put 30 on a pretty good defense last week.

27. ravenmuscle says: Jan 17, 2013 11:26 AM

You forget that Suggs and Ngata and Ellerbe and Reed and Upshaw and Pollard and Ray were hurt or all missed games throughout the year and are all now healththy.

Just maybe THEY are playing MUCH BETTER now. Funny how the New York or National media always make blanket generalizations about their PET teams and have no clue about a small market beast like the Ravens. Keep gushing about the Mannings and the Brady’s and dissing Flacco….then come Monday you all look like the idiots that you are.

Brady will be SHREDDED…COUNT ON IT.

28. ampats says: Jan 17, 2013 11:26 AM

The Patriots have invited Ray Ray to do his squirrel dance for the last time after the Pats hold up the Lamar Hunt Trophy for the 8th time .

29. khennigan says: Jan 17, 2013 11:26 AM

Am I suffering from Deja Vu? No one picked Baltimore last week and look what happened. Denver’s defense is so much better then New England’s and look what the offense managed to do to them. Keep doubting Baltimore!!

30. seenoland54 says: Jan 17, 2013 11:31 AM

Thanks for the disrespect, same all year and of course it’s so easy to just ride the disrespect band wagon so you don’t have to put your corporate expense account amex back in your wallet, get off your barstool and do some real homework.

That’s ok, falcons been getting it all year and over and over again and still send you “experts” back to your desk with your hangover to type up the many excuses for the losing team…and losing sports skaters (notice I didn’t use the term “journalist”)

31. chattanola says: Jan 17, 2013 11:32 AM

49ers and Patriots. Sounds about right but here’s hoping for great games like we had last week.

32. paulitik74 says: Jan 17, 2013 11:32 AM

I love how all of a sudden Kaepernick is better than Russell Wilson and the rest of the gimmick QB gang.

So San Fran has a 4.3 40, one read then run QB with a Rocket Arm, with questionable accuracy, and wears #7 “who is going to revolutionize the game”.

Yeah, Falcons fans have never seen one of those before.

Keep underestimating them, please.

Falcons 35, Niners 14.

33. kevpft says: Jan 17, 2013 11:33 AM

I’ve been a Falcons skeptic for a long time, but I saw things last week that changed my mind about their potential. They are going to surprise people this weekend. The picks against them are far too glib.

I would like to see the Pats win one more SB.

34. jacktheraven says: Jan 17, 2013 11:49 AM

Can a QB with, what, 8 starts suddenly become unbeatable? I have my doubts. I think falcons win, but won’t beat the AFC champ. I think The Ravens CAN win.

35. davefromca says: Jan 17, 2013 11:55 AM

49er fan here….I really don’t think its going to be that easy. I’m very surprised that the entire media seem to think Kaep is going to obliterate that defense (it is possible) and the falcons offense with Ryan, White, Gonzalez and Jones are not going to put up points, even against SF’s defense. (However, also possible)

Trying to be unbiased I think the 49ers WILL edge this one out, but they cannot make the mistakes they did early on against GB. Catching the ball, no stupid penalties, sound fundamentals…..this Falcons defense has the potential to at least contain SF, especially with that crowd noise, and if they do that and the Falcons offense stays hot all game you better believe they have the ability and talent to win by 2-3 scores. I think the 49ers coaches and players know that, and are preparing accordingly, and staying humble.

LETS GO NINERS!!! The road to 6!

36. bucrightoff says: Jan 17, 2013 11:57 AM

Falcon fans must be unemployed to be dominating the thumbs up/down like this. ESPN’s poll has almost 80% of people thinking the 49ers win. The win last week was about the least convincing argument that the Falcons can beat the 49ers

37. shlort says: Jan 17, 2013 12:00 PM

Kaepernick wont be playing Green Bays super-soft Defense this week. I dont see him racking up 500 yards or anywhere near the points they scored last week.

I think Atlanta should win, but it could go either way. It will be close regardless of who wins. Atlanta is likely to try and get Harbaugh and Kaepernick away from their game plan, and if they dont, the Falcons are toast.

Baltimore will be running out of magic this weekend. The Patriots are clicking right now and no one will stop them until next season.

38. chc4 says: Jan 17, 2013 12:01 PM

Ravens/Pats is a toss up for me. Falcons upset SF.

39. psilenttype says: Jan 17, 2013 12:03 PM

Lets be clear when the 49ers played the Seahawks they were withoth DT/DE Justin Smith! He presence on the defensive line commands alot more attention and is able to free up other DE… i.e. Aldon Smith!

When Justin Smith went down in the Pats game at halftime the Brady almost made a comeback and in the 4 quarters in Seattle the defense got romp!

He is back now so the score in Seattle is an afterthought. You need to factor in all the facts before just throwing out information out of context. The defense is at 100% and the most important piece is there. 49ers will roll on the falcons

40. southpaw79 says: Jan 17, 2013 12:05 PM

It is starting to sound like the Falcon fans are eating what the media is serving them. Kaeps performance last week was impressive, no doubt, but that is not the 49ers offense. They ran it more than normal last week because the Packers never stopped it. I hope the Falcons are getting themselves as worked up as you guys are to stop the Kaep runs because the will just take a defender away from Gore, Crabtree, Davis, Moss, Walker, LMJ.

41. tedmurph says: Jan 17, 2013 12:06 PM

ravenmuscle says:Jan 17, 2013 11:26 AM

——————————————————–

No, they’re not healthy. They’re playing, put not at their usual high levels. Looking forward to ravenmuscle, ravenator and randallflagg going into hibernation Monday. Actually, they’ll probably spend an extra week blaming the refs or luck or Goodell or the usual list of excuses.

42. shlort says: Jan 17, 2013 12:06 PM

Another thing fans should think about. The further your team makes it and loses the last game, the more it sucks. To get to the SB and lose th game is way worse than losing in the 3 rounds of the playoffs.

43. blacknole08 says: Jan 17, 2013 12:17 PM

Falcons over SF – Kaepernick is clearly the X-Factor. If the Falcons can force him to beat them with his arm (like the Seahawks did), they will win. Matt Ryan has also had success in his career vs the 49ers.

Pats over Ravens – Pats don’t usually lose to the same team 2x in a season (only happened three times in Brady/Belicheck era – 2005 (Broncos), 2010 (Jets), Giants (2011)). You can’t underestimate the heart though of the Ravens, especially with Ray Lewis in the line-up. It will be close but the Pats win. This is becoming one of the best rivalries outside of divisional games.

Should be some good games and I’ll be glued to my TV on Sunday afternoon.

44. azarkhan says: Jan 17, 2013 12:19 PM

shlort: The further your team makes it and loses the last game, the more it sucks. To get to the SB and lose th game is way worse than losing in the 3 rounds of the playoffs.

So the Texans, Bengals, Colts fans, etc. will feel better than fans of the team that loses the SB? LOL

45. Akula says: Jan 17, 2013 12:20 PM

I think The Ravens will get gassed and it could get ugly late. Can’t see the Falcons keeping pace. Looks like what we got last weekend might have spoiled us. These games will not be as close. IMO.

46. misterplowthatnameagainismisterplow says: Jan 17, 2013 12:29 PM

I guess the Falcons shouldn’t even show up. Kinda like last week when everyone thought they’d be krushed by the Seahawks , a really good team no doubt about it, but give the Falcons a little credit. They don’t panic.

47. ravanator says: Jan 17, 2013 12:35 PM

Ravens suck and are going to get blown out. Watch ur back if ur in Boston sunday night, Ray “the stabber” Lewis will be on the loose!

48. ebrownwareagle says: Jan 17, 2013 12:42 PM

I LOVED the fact they posted all the Rushing Stats from the QBs we faced this year! Excellent!! AND BEAT THEM ALL!! Colin Kapp do me a favor and call RG3, ask him… “How Does It feel To Take A INVOLUNTARY Napp in the Middle of an NFL football game?
    #dirtybirdnation

49. tombradysbaby says: Jan 17, 2013 1:09 PM

Bellichick is going to unleash the full power of the Patriots offense against the ratbirds. You saw a hint of it last week against the Texans. Lets see the ratbirds defense try and keep up with Brady when he kicks it into 5th gear, and sprints down the field.

Patriots 45
    Ravens 28 (14 of which will be garbage time scores)

I am going to go with the trend and say that the Falcons are simply out matched. Every game that Kaepernik gets under his belt he gets that much better. His confidence level is through the roof right now, and in the NFL your confidence and emotions will take you to the next level. I don’t see the Falcons being very confident after last weeks gimmie. They didn’t beat Seattle, they escaped Seattle.

49’rs 42
    Falcons 13

50. grendelg says: Jan 17, 2013 1:11 PM

It’s interesting that you leave RG3 out of the discussion of running QB’s the Falcons have faced (and beaten).

He got 7 yards and a concussion.

Colin Kaepernick, I’d like you to meet Sean Weatherspoon.

51. tangerinediesel says: Jan 17, 2013 1:15 PM

I keep hearing that stat about 4 seeds being 6-1 in AFC Championship games. Why aren’t we hearing the one about the Patriots being 7-1 and never being one of those teams to lose to a 4 seed?

52. tmar1961 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:24 PM

ALL these stats for the running/mobile QBs cutting up the Falcons defense seem to leave out the most important one…..the Falcons have played 5 games vs “mobile” QBs and are 4-1 INCLUDING Seattle win.

I always thought the score mattered more than the yards.

53. paullyons20 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:27 PM

This doesn’t surprise me at all. The Falcons have been underdogs in many of their games this year. I think they are the only team to have the best record in the NFL and still be a pretty large underdog in the championship game. As a fan of Atlanta, I have came to terms that they will not be a favorite of this site or any sports media when they are battling a team that isn’t just terrible. They may not win pretty but they continue to win. Oh and I think the Patriots are the hands down better team but there is some magic with Ray Lewis this year. The ravens will shock the world again.

54. sportsguybayarea says: Jan 17, 2013 1:32 PM

Hate him or love him, Jim harbaugh is an amazing coach who’s a master at game plannning. Last week the packers weren’t prepared for the niners read option offense. Of course they knew it was part of kaep’s game but they didn’t expect it to be a huge part of their offense. Now that everyone saw how great it worked and how kaep runs, harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg roman will back off a little on the read option. There will be more play action pass and quick slant passes in the game plan vs the falcons. The falcons defenders will be lost out there. Expect a few bombs of the play action to randy moss, Crabtree and Vernon Davis.

55. tmar1961 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:37 PM

@psilenttype
    You need to factor in all the facts before just throwing out information out of context. The defense is at 100% and the most important piece is there. 49ers will roll on the falcons.
    —————————————————————

Doesnt seem like you factored in any facts about the Falcons. They DID put up 30 points against the #1 scoring D in the NFL (15ppg by seattle). Falcons moved up and down the field in the first half against what “experts” claimed was best secondary and up 27-7 the Falcons started playing a “soft” defense, NOT making excuses just stating facts, and it allowed Seattle to comeback; ALSO a fact: Matt Ryan, you know the qb that chokes in the playoffs, with 25 seconds on the clock moved the Falcons down where they DID SCORE the winning FG with 8 seconds left on clock.

Last fact for you, Falcons are 4-1 vs mobile QBs this year and that includes Vick, RG3, Cam(x2),and R. Wilson.

Falcons just seem to find a way to win.
    SF 21 Atl 31

56. bmorefalcon says: Jan 17, 2013 1:41 PM

There is only one indisputable fact about these 4 teams right now.

57. ravensrooster94 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:44 PM

You guys are picking against the Ravens for the 3rd week in a row. And for the 3rd week in a row you will be wrong.

Lovin’ it in Bmore

58. 1oldpro says: Jan 17, 2013 1:52 PM

New England vs San Fran probably is the television audiences dream game. But Atlanta and the Ravens are two really good teams. This will be a dream Sunday for me. I like all four of these teams

59. pattyarbuccholz says: Jan 17, 2013 2:24 PM

————–

The spread is 9.5 some places. How is that a strange prediction? i think they win by 14 myself.

60. pattyarbuccholz says: Jan 17, 2013 2:35 PM

Not sure why this year will be any different for Pats-Ravens. Pats are playing at home, Ravens have been travelling back and forth across the country, just played a 6 OT time in high altitude, they’re D is old and not 100%. I’m just not sure how they can stop the no-huddle.

Pats 42, Ravens 20. And no, I’m not gonna say “mark it down” or “guaranteed”, because unlike some of you (Ravens fans in particular), I understand that I have no idea what’s going to heppen.

61. tonyarnold2 says: Jan 17, 2013 2:40 PM

“steelersownyou says:
    Jan 17, 2013 11:17 AM
    Brady gonna put 50 pts up on that terrible Ratbird D. Their secondary is awful. I could throw for 300 tds and 4 td’s against it. Steelers woulda been the only team to compete with the pats. #1 defense overall. #1 against the pass and #2 agai.st the run. Brady doesn’t fear that 22nd ranked defense! Of the ratbirds. Who would?”

Well you must be amazing at quarterback because Peyton Manning couldn’t put up 300 yds or 4tds against it, and he had 3 turnovers…

62. pattyarbuccholz says: Jan 17, 2013 2:46 PM

And by 6 OTs, I mean 6 quarters. 6 OTs would be pretty sweet though.

63. bunkerhillbob says: Jan 17, 2013 2:53 PM

The Ravens are a veteran, hard-nosed team that I have great respect for; they are seldom out of any game when healthy. The Pats have been the cream of the crop in the AFC for a decade or more, so something has to give. Pats have the statistical edge on Defense and Offense, lost by a hair in Baltimore this season, but can get even playing at home this Sunday. Brady can orchestrate sustained drives, while Joe goes for the home run a lot. I’m taking Patriots 34-27.
    The Niners have a great team, for sure, but Atlanta is pretty loaded, too, and playing at home, so I expect a close game. I’d love to see the Pats get a rematch with SF in NOLA, so I’m saying Niners 38-31.

64. pattyarbuccholz says: Jan 17, 2013 3:08 PM

————

He was saying Brady will do that to the Ravens D, not him. And Brady IS an amazing QB and is better than Peyton, so he could be right.

65. myosin10 says: Jan 17, 2013 3:12 PM

I really want a Haurbaugh bowl! Although I think SF will have a better chance of beating NE. I don’t like all the disrespect toward Atlanta, these guys are the number 1 seed! I hate when the media crowns a team before they play , hope SF stays humble and plays hard!

66. itsfootballbaby says: Jan 17, 2013 3:33 PM

In a long awaited duel of the 2008 first round QB draft the Super Bowl will be….Falcons v Ravens. But then, what the heck do I know?

67. rockthered1286 says: Jan 17, 2013 4:19 PM

Baltimore is getting ignored. There is no mention of the fact that Suggs was not in the first game, but tons of recognition for Talib being a great addition to NE. There’s also no talk about Cameron’s vanilla O beating the Pats down in the first matchup, and how Caldwell has actually called better games since he took over as OC, leading me to believe he can handle the Pats subpar D. Also no mention about Joe as a starter under Caldwell. Last 3 games Joe has put up 900+ yds, 8 TD’s, 0 TO’s. 3TD’s and 331 yds against the #5D in the country (Denver). But by all means lets continue to pump up the media darling Pats since Brady and Billichump are the greatest duo on the earth…

Cannot wait to see the Ravens dethrone the Pats. Gonna be epic.

Bal-34
    NE-24

68. richwizl says: Jan 17, 2013 11:48 PM

Baltimore is not being ignored by the Pats, I can guarantee you that much. I expect it to be a back and forth game and hope my guys win, but I know the Ravens are seriously motivated and seriously good.

69. starderup says: Jan 18, 2013 8:33 AM

I can’t see either one of these games as blowouts.

70. tdonn says: Jan 18, 2013 9:36 AM

I get that Raven fans believe their team can win…
    I am a Pats fan and I wouldn’t rule out the possibility. It is ALWAYS a great game.

But, explain how you think a team that averages 36 pts per game is somehow going to be held to 21,24, etc by the Raven, at home…

By all means pick your team, but at least be realistic… Ravens score 35+, or they lose.

71. misterplowthatnameagainismisterplow says: Jan 18, 2013 9:37 AM

This just in….Colin Kaepernick also walks on water.

SF defense is what got them this far and as a Falcons fan it’s their defense that scares me the most. If the Falcons score 30 they win.

72. bond3940 says: Jan 18, 2013 11:03 AM

Yea, Kaepernick is/will be a good if not great quarterback…but can Atlanta get SOME respect…Ryan is good if not great and they have been winning all year…granted they some deficiencies, but so does every team….go FALCONS…

73. tigerlilac says: Jan 18, 2013 12:23 PM

rockthered1286, you must be planning on making a fortune while watching the game in Vegas. That’s a 19.5 point cushion you are working.

74. kimbo71006 says: Jan 18, 2013 1:48 PM

_____________________________

You said it…Ryan is good, he’s not great and that’s why he/Falcons don’t get respect.

Sure they’ve been winning all year but they only played a few teams that even had winning records, so it’s hard to jump on the bandwagon when they play teams that don’t pass the muster to begin with.

And their performance against the Seahawks just shows what we’re talking about. They choked and were a simple field goal from losing the game when they were three scores ahead at the half.

I don’t think they can do it…but we’ll see.

75. jvibottomline says: Jan 18, 2013 2:46 PM

Mike Nolan out coach Jim Harbaugh/Greg Roman????? Hahahahahahahaha, NO CHANCE, Niners BIG!

76. bond3940 says: Jan 18, 2013 3:41 PM

_____________________________

I don’t think they can do it…but we’ll see.

Not sure their quarterback will run as much…because there will be equal rest among the teams..Ryan is probably the better quarterback..San Francisco…team is a little better…should be a good game go FALCONS

77. jimeejohnson says: Jan 18, 2013 7:28 PM

gyrfalcon says: “There is only one indisputable fact about these 4 teams right now.
    Nobody wants to win a Superbowl in New Orleans, on the Saints home field, more than the Falcons do.”

That’s a great comment.

78. portnoychunk says: Jan 18, 2013 9:15 PM

I enjoy how much Ravens fans dislike Pats fans for being so obnoxious and arrogant. Clearly, they don’t read their own posts.

Yeah, sure your team is so slighted by the media…what with Ray Lewis being shoved down everyone’s throats for the past 4 weeks.

The Ravens won by 1…..at home….against a much weaker Patriots D……and could be slightly gassed after the long game against Denver last week It’s not outside the realm of possibility that some might favor the Pats. Doesn’t mean the Ravens can’t win (as a pats fan, I know the Ravens are good and could pull it out), but stop being such petulant children.

79. marcshank says: Jan 18, 2013 10:13 PM

Seems “time for the Patriots to return to the Superbowl.” Another learned prediction from Mr. MSM himself. Some think it’s actually ABOUT TIME the Ravens return there. And they will, with bells on.

80. theravens1 says: Jan 19, 2013 11:44 AM

I can’t wait to see all the bad calls tomorrow that will favor Brady!

81. all4patriots says: Jan 20, 2013 9:21 AM

41-21 Niners
    48-17 Pats

two blowouts, unfortunately

82. bullybirds says: Jan 20, 2013 11:20 AM

Two overlooked changes from last year to that Ravens team.

1) Caldwell calling the plays. Do not overlooked that he has faced the Patriots all those years when he was the QB coach for the Colts. Now he is turning Flacco loose as that was something Cam refused to do.

2) Dean Pees being a Patriot for 5 yrs and them running generally running the same system as when he left on offense. He knows the tendencies and was on the coaching staff for the Ravens last year when Brady put up a stinker.

Last year came down to missed opportunities. No such thing happens this year. See Ray Lewis’s locker room speech after last years lost. Good luck containing that.

83. chrisco716 says: Jan 20, 2013 12:34 PM

Every 3rd game this year the 49’ers seem to lack energy for some strange reason. Even when they try to play hard like the second St Louis game. Playing the early game in east coast time zone will cause additional lack of energy. Plus the 49’ers have to battle both a home team in a dome playing at high energy and the SI jinx. Look for 49’ers to start slowly, make mistakes, perhaps make a game of it late, but probably lose. Too much to overcome. Should be a Falcons/Pats Super Bowl with Pats winning big. A Pats/49’ers reprise SB would be much more interesting.