Ray Lewis: No way I’ll waver on retirement

Wild Card Playoffs - Indianapolis Colts v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

When Ray Lewis announced that he’ll retire after the postseason, his old friend and former teammate Deion Sanders said he thought there was a chance Lewis would change his mind.

But Lewis says he’s no Brett Favre.

Nah, I can’t come back,” Lewis said, via CSNBaltimore.com. “My kids are calling for Daddy. It’s a great reward to see the sacrifice my babies have made for me, and it’s time that I sacrifice for them.”

Lewis has made clear that he’s serious about the commitment he made to his kids to spend more time with them. Specifically, Lewis told PFT in October that he doesn’t want to miss any games that his son, Ray Lewis III, plays in college.

RL3 will be a freshman for the Miami Hurricanes in the fall, and Ray Lewis will be in the stands watching him on Saturday, and not preparing to play games on Sundays.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
36 Responses to “Ray Lewis: No way I’ll waver on retirement”
  1. theralph2012 says: Jan 17, 2013 8:57 AM

But who will fight our “wars” and “rage into battle” if Ray lewis retires? Oh wait, you mean there are actual heroes called soldiers who fight wars and not felons playing middle linebacker?

Can’t wait for this self-flossing moron to get off of my television screen and stop talking about NFL players as soldiers. (no I do not watch ESPNs NFL coverage)

2. southpaw2k says: Jan 17, 2013 8:59 AM

I had hoped that Ray would join the Ravens’ coaching staff after he retired. He’d make a phenomenal linebackers coach, so maybe once his son finishes school he could consider a career in coaching.

3. ravenator says: Jan 17, 2013 9:01 AM

Don’t worry people, the world will be watching Ray Lewis dance in the superbowl

4. zappa69 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:04 AM

The difference between Favre and Lewis is Favre could still play.

5. skum01 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:04 AM

I’ll bet he may come back if the union and league cannot agree on HGH testing for another year.

6. jasons81 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:06 AM

I’m pretty sure he realizes that he has absolutely nothing left in the tank. Seriously it’s sad watching him jump on the pile and pretend to tackle then dance around like a crazy man.

7. faninvirginia says: Jan 17, 2013 9:09 AM

somehow i think Ray will have a sideline pass, don’t think Miami will make him sit in the stands

8. joetoronto says: Jan 17, 2013 9:14 AM

zappa69 says:
    Jan 17, 2013 9:04 AM
    The difference between Favre and Lewis is Favre could still play.
    ***************************************************
    Bingo!

While what Lewis is doing at 37 years of age is amazing, his play has definitely dropped off and he knows it.

Favre was an absolute freak of nature, the dude could still play today, and probably years from now too.

9. steelersownyou says: Jan 17, 2013 9:19 AM

How can a team who has 1 super bowl be so hated you ask? It’s classless guys like ray lewis, Terrell suggs, ed reed, anquan boldin, and the worst is their d bag coach. Assless tools from the top down. Never thought I’d ever say these words but here goes…GO PATS!!!

10. steelerfanjo says: Jan 17, 2013 9:24 AM

The glorification of this guy is just like the Teo story, the media does what they want. They don’t care about the story, just the hype. Ray Lewis is human scum.

11. crik911 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:26 AM

I still don’t know why people hate Ray Lewis. Go watch a football life for crying out loud the guy has kids, cares about them, takes care of the community and his family. Why hate on the guy? He has played at a high level his whole career, what is he supposed to do get faster as he gets older, of course he will be slower, yet smarter.

Rant over.

12. pinion8ted says: Jan 17, 2013 9:27 AM

———————————————————-
    Awww …… what a great quote.

Almost makes me forget that he was involved in a double murder.

There are two men, by the way, who will never be able to say what Ray Lewis said in the above quote ;)

13. tonyarnold2 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:29 AM

Why do people act like Ray’s playing badly? He had 13 tackles against the Colts and 17 against the Broncos…

14. malkinrulez says: Jan 17, 2013 9:34 AM

Not a Ravens fan but believe ray Lewis always played the game the way it was meant to be played! I for one will miss him !

15. ravanator says: Jan 17, 2013 9:35 AM

Good riddance! Ray is a washed up shell of his former self, has been a terrible LB for years, could not even win a Super Bowl for Ed Reed

16. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 17, 2013 9:36 AM

Wait did I miss something? They announced next years half time performers already…?

17. ampats says: Jan 17, 2013 9:41 AM

On Sunday at 10PM Ray will begin his retirement and will be a full time Daddy to his kids !

18. ravenator says: Jan 17, 2013 9:44 AM

Loving all the steeler fans, hate on haters. Your tears taste delicious. How pathetic can one group of fans be?

19. godofwine330 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:45 AM

While Lewis’ speed has deminished, his mind and instincts are what he survives on now. He is not what he was and is a liability in coverage where mere instinct isn’t enough, which is why he rushes the passer more. The problem with that is that he isn’t a great pass rusher and last week ran into Suggs as they both attempted to charge the same gap rendering the pass rush of both ineffective. Had he tried to come back next year his level of play would have dropped off even more. While he can still find holes, navigate and get to the running back in the backfield, it is better to hang it up rather than be kicked out.

Also, I wish people would stop calling him a murderer. He was found not to have been involved by the court system of this great nation. I quote Brian Billick, “As much as some of you want to, we are not going to retry this. It is inappropriate and you are not qualified.”

20. yyyass says: Jan 17, 2013 9:49 AM

How’s he going to prepare for a Sunday broadcast if he’s sitting in Miami all day Saturday watching football? Hmmmm, watching a college game or getting to pontificate on national television? We’ll see what happens.

21. dallasux says: Jan 17, 2013 9:49 AM

“The difference between Favre and Lewis is Favre could still play.”

He had 17 tackles last week, and 14 the week before. So, not only are you a hater, you also are WRONG. Signed, An eagles fan.

22. thebrownswillalwaysloose says: Jan 17, 2013 9:56 AM

Wow! The self righteous tool-trolls are out in full form this morning! Misinformed, jealous haters! Ray Lewis is a champion who has to sustain hatred and criticism because two gang bangers attacked him and his friends with a smashed champagne bottle!

23. footballfan01 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:01 AM

He’s got a lot of stabbing to get caught up on.

24. kaakwha says: Jan 17, 2013 10:06 AM

I hope you haters all realize how pathetic you sound. I mean really pathetic and shameful. Are you jealous of a first ballot HOF’er, one of the best middle LBs to ever play the game, and at a very high level for 15 years but has admittedly lost a step, but still inspires people to step up their play. He is an inspirational leader who has reformed his life and has done uncountable good deeds in an around Baltimore for over a decade, mostly anonymously without TV cameras. Truthfully, he has done so much good in the public schools of Baltimore. I have seen his positive impact on kids. Ray Rice is following in his footsteps. Good for him.

There is absolutely no proof Ray Lewis did anything except be in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people and then try to cover up. That is horrible and I was disgusted by his first reactions. Later, he did agree to testify and did what he had to do and I believe has paid his debt to society. Was he in some way associated in the death of two men? Perhaps a tiny bit as described above. But people do change. People grow and change their lives.

However, he did not kill anyone. For you to say that just shows your ignorance of the law, ignorance of the facts of the case, and your ugly unreasonable hatred.

But then again, all you haters are perfect people, who never did anything wrong or who never associated with people you probably should not have. Since you are throwing rocks I suppose you checked your glass houses?

This site is filled with immature, hateful people who just hate for the sake of hating. Get your facts straight before you post your vile ugliness.

Ray will do his dance again- hopefully in the SuperBowl! I hope you get to see it!

And as for hating on anything purple- CAW CAW! The Ravens fly high above most of your sad sack teams. HAHA!

25. kozmo50 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:07 AM

Could it be that RL used some “banned substances” to get back on the field, and knows that he will eventually be tested……..I don’t know just a thought….

26. bucrightoff says: Jan 17, 2013 10:16 AM

Ray definitely knows about sacrificing lives…

27. ravanator says: Jan 17, 2013 10:17 AM

Ray Ray Lewis=Terrible LB/Terrible Father

28. mbart94 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:41 AM

What a great man….has 4 baby mamas and stabbed someone….lets keep the praise coming. I often wonder what kind of people get brainwashed like people who believe in these end of the world ploys and now I know most of them must reside in Baltimoron ville. Do you really tell your kids what a great guy he is? No wonder our society is lacking morals and values.

29. dutchhmaster says: Jan 17, 2013 10:55 AM

Ray Lewis makes me sick. He sells this redemption story about how he is a changed man from the guy he was thirteen years ago, yet he doesn’t have the guts to admit why he needs to be redeemed. But my hatred for Ray Ray goes beyond the whole murder thing. He’s over the top with the dramatic press conferences/interviews, and he always seems to know where the cameras are at the right time. He’s an annoying attention seeker.

30. pleasefirecam says: Jan 17, 2013 11:13 AM

Keep sippin’ your hatorade while riding on your hatervater beotches! Jealousy makes the world go round and if yo momma was a part of the salad, she’d be lettuce….bc she’d lettuce all bang her!!!

31. floriostoupee says: Jan 17, 2013 11:19 AM

this is a role model? sold his friends up the river to escape prosecution. where’s his white suit from the night of the murders? oh that’s right it DISAPPEARED.

murderer now and forever….. ravens fans just can’t/wont accept it. denial. if he was on any team other than yours you’d be sickened just as we all are.

32. roddstroker says: Jan 17, 2013 11:27 AM

Can’t wait to see who God loves more, the Ravens or the Pats!

33. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 17, 2013 11:48 AM

Find it hard to believe so many fans still believe in Santa, Easter bunny, tooth fairy and let me see I am forgetting one….ooh ya Ray Lewis.

34. yourownfau1t says: Jan 17, 2013 12:34 PM

keep taking shot a ray lewis all your doing is fueling his fire

35. vltrophy14 says: Jan 17, 2013 2:04 PM

Ray Lewis is a great player & a first ballot HOF’er. Guys like him don’t come around very often. He’s a great leader & maybe just maybe he might come back as one of the Ravens LB coaches. As much as I’d like to see him go out on top he has a ring. Now that the Packers are out of the playoffs I’d like to see Tony Gonzalez win a Super Bowl. Now that’s one dude who deserves a ring IMO.

36. raqaiw says: Jan 17, 2013 10:32 PM

Ray Lewis –
    1.SB Champion
    2.SB MVP
    3. 2 time DPOY in both 4-3 and 3-4 alignments
    4.Leader of top 5 defense for > decade
    5.Shoe-in for football immortality in the HOF
    6.Multimillionaire

Posters on PFT -
    1.Don’t play in the NFL
    2.Many below poverty threshold
    3.Mostly bitter people who’s teams could’ve used a Ray Lewis when he was thrashing offenses during his prime
    4.Sinners who feel empowered to cast stones from behind a screen name