Reagan Maui’a: Troy Polamalu was not involved in Manti Te’o hoax

Troy Polamalu AP

Reagan Maui’a has some type of involvement in the bizarre hoax surrounding the fake girlfriend of former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o. Maui’a made that clear when he claimed to have met Lennay Kekua, a person who does not exist.

But Maui’a wants everyone to know that Steelers safety Troy Polamalu had nothing to do with the hoax. And Polamalu wants everyone to know that, too.

Maui’a, a fullback who has bounced around the NFL for six seasons, most recently with the Cardinals, took to Twitter on Thursday morning and wrote that Polamalu never met the person who was posing as “Lennay Kekua,” and that Polamalu had nothing to do with the hoax. Maui’a said Polamalu is “being unfairly dragged into this.”

Polamalu re-tweeted that tweet so that his 500,000-plus Twitter followers would see it, so Polamalu was obviously concerned about people thinking he might have some involvement in this bizarre story.

Maui’a also told reporters that if they were planning to call him for a story about the case they shouldn’t bother because he’s done talking about it. For the rest of us, however, this is a bizarre story that is not going away.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Reagan Maui’a: Troy Polamalu was not involved in Manti Te’o hoax”
  1. mazblast says: Jan 17, 2013 10:27 AM

Dragging Polamalu into this by saying he has nothing to do with it. Nice move.

2. bharr170 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:27 AM

Fess up, tell the truth and people will forgive you and you can rebuild your draft stock. Keep your mouth shut and this won’t go away for awhile.

Just fess up Te’o. That’s something both your Bible and book of Mormon tell you to do.

3. bucrightoff says: Jan 17, 2013 10:28 AM

If you pitched this as a plot for a movie you’d get laughed out of the room because it’s too unbelievable. What an effed up story.

4. oldirtyman says: Jan 17, 2013 10:29 AM

Troy is a great player, good person, and 2 time Superbowl Champion. No pathetic LB from Notre Dame can tarnish his legacy

5. ravenator says: Jan 17, 2013 10:30 AM

Polamalu has 500,000+ twitter followers? Why? So everyone can follow his bench warming routine and how he’s more concerned with shampoo commercials than actually winning games.

6. isonic1 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:31 AM

If my team drafts him, I’m going to catfish him every season so he plays his heart out! too soon?

7. dannyreneau says: Jan 17, 2013 10:31 AM

I have a feeling there is a lot more to this story then anyone knows

8. derfshambeaux says: Jan 17, 2013 10:32 AM

Does Troy have jaundice in that picture? Why’s his face all yellow?

9. dmq13 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:35 AM

I never thought Reagan Maui’a or Troy Polomalu were involved in this….until now.

10. illwillthemick says: Jan 17, 2013 10:35 AM

why did anyone think troy was involved?? some weird ish going down right now

11. Patskrieg dot com says: Jan 17, 2013 10:35 AM

I feel like I’ve been following this story pretty closely, and yet I don’t think I’d even heard Polamalu’s name mentioned in it until now.

What am I missing?

12. johosophat says: Jan 17, 2013 10:36 AM

Where in the world did the rumors Troy Polomalu was involved in this come from? Maybe Reagan Mauia should exonerate Peyton Manning while he’s at it too

13. readysethike says: Jan 17, 2013 10:37 AM

are we suppose to suspect all hawaiian or somoan players may be involved? what does ngata have to say about this

14. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 17, 2013 10:44 AM

ravenator says:
    Jan 17, 2013 10:30 AM

3 1 Brilliant comment revealing your jealousy and ignorance in one post. How rare….

15. scoops1 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:45 AM

I’m willing to bet that even The Rock is on this too

16. huskersrock1 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:46 AM

Troy Polomalu was the last person to come to mind through all of this…until now.

Ok lets get this over with, every Polynesian in the league should declare where they are on “Team Kekua” or not.

17. cags777 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:49 AM

How on Earth did Troy Polamalu get dragged into this? I think it’s time for Reagan Mauia to just leave Twitter and this story for Manti Te’o to answer.

18. kiopta1 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:49 AM

I don’t know what the outcome of this is going to be but I sure hope none of you find yourself in a situation where everybody holds you as guilty until proven innocent.

19. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Jan 17, 2013 10:49 AM

I heard Chick-fil-a Polynesian sauce may or may not be involved in this hoax.

20. Nofoolnodrool says: Jan 17, 2013 10:49 AM

ravenator says:
    Jan 17, 2013 10:30 AM

8 7
    At the end of the day:

Troy has 500,000 followers, two Super Bowl rings, commercial endorsements and good chance at the hof.

At the end of the day ravenator you have an obsession for the steelers and a room in mom’s basement.

Gee can’t guess who I admire most.

21. simms529 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:51 AM

It would make WAAAAY more sense if he said Roethlisberger wasn’t involved!!

22. paulsmith107 says: Jan 17, 2013 10:52 AM

This is so stupid. This idiot fullback says he met this chick well why doesn’t this chick just make a statement and shed some light on the situation. As far as Troy I’m not sure where his name ever came up until just now. I think a whole host of sam

23. rcampore says: Jan 17, 2013 10:57 AM

The reason Troy Polamalu was brought up was because in an interview with ESPN, Reagan Maui’a says that he Lennay kukua at a charity event in samoa where there were other samoan players including Troy Polamalu

24. commonsensedude says: Jan 17, 2013 10:58 AM

Next thing you know, they’re going to strongly deny that President Obama knew about this strange story. (After all, he is from Hawaii).

25. NotoriousKDV says: Jan 17, 2013 11:01 AM

Why would anyone think that Troy had anything to do with this? And who dragged Troy into it? This is the first that I’ve heard of that.

26. wacco4flacco says: Jan 17, 2013 11:05 AM

Does that mean Haloti Ngata was not involved either – since we’re trying to clear the names of all Hawaiian and Samoan players? What about Rey Maulaga?

27. stigman2012 says: Jan 17, 2013 11:05 AM

Again, Mauia…shut the f— up. You’ve embarrassed yourself, your family and your team. We are all dumber for having heard your comments on the matter. May God have mercy on your soul.

Seriously…would all the Samoan football players in both the NFL and college just issue statements whether this broad ever existed and if they met her and let’s be done with this rediculous story?

28. panthers34 says: Jan 17, 2013 11:06 AM

Now I know what it was like to live during the War of the Worlds hoax in the 1930’s.

29. Kaz says: Jan 17, 2013 11:09 AM

Well this story just keeps getting better. Amusing. The only winner in all of this is the movie/show Catfish.

30. justintuckrule says: Jan 17, 2013 11:27 AM

Sounds like a Hawaiian episode of Jersey Shore.

31. cmonelisha says: Jan 17, 2013 11:39 AM

this is one of the weirdest (word? idk, who cares) stories ive ever heard, football or not. guarntee jets climb up in the first round 2 get him in the top 10

32. jbaxt says: Jan 17, 2013 11:44 AM

Figures, the one week I wish I wasn’t Hawaiian or Samoan, this happens.

The 1st rule of made-up cancer-stricken car-wrecked girlfriend…

33. Ponder This says: Jan 17, 2013 11:45 AM

Is he assumed to be involved just because his name has a lot of vowels in it? Somebody check to see what Brendan Ayanbadejo has been up to.

34. beelicker says: Jan 17, 2013 12:10 PM

This just in: I’m Chevy Catfish & you’re not?

35. joemammy says: Jan 17, 2013 12:29 PM

Smokin’ Joe Banner might as well cut Kaluka Maiava and Shawn Lauvao, now.

Eventually, they’ll be dragged into this bag of coconuts…and, Lord knows, the Browns already have enough issues.

36. Grulks says: Jan 17, 2013 12:35 PM

Well screw it, just to cover my six, I had nothing to do with the JFK assassination.

37. follow67 says: Jan 17, 2013 12:56 PM

Just crazy…. Kind of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is called Susie by a co-worker and when Mr. Peterman assigns Susie to a project that Elaine wanted, Elaine tells Peterman that Susie took her own life.

38. ruvelligwebuike says: Jan 17, 2013 12:56 PM

I am laughing at my desk right now. Did they honestly just randomly take the most popular Polynesian player and just say, “He’s not involved” for no reason?

Next time I get arrested, I’m going to tell the local papers that Jim Leonhard is not involved.

39. sactogary says: Jan 17, 2013 1:19 PM

commonsensedude says:Jan 17, 2013 10:58 AM

————————————
    Personally, I find it suspicious that he hasn’t denied it. Hmmm…

40. beelicker says: Jan 17, 2013 2:26 PM

I’m wondering has anyone ever actually seen Polamalu & Lennay Kekua together?

41. coachbeck says: Jan 17, 2013 3:46 PM

Why even address it if he isn’t involved lol. Is he going to address his involvement in 9/11 as well. You don’t address nonsense unless …. And Idc if he was it wasn’t but why address these kiddie games. Be a pro

42. bubblehead22 says: Jan 17, 2013 9:24 PM