Suggs convinced ref not to flag him for challenging a friend to a fight

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Suggs celebrates after sacking Denver Broncos quarterback Manning during the thrid quarter in their NFL AFC Divisional playoff football game in Denver Reuters

The NFL Films cameras caught an amusing incident between Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs and Broncos defensive tackle Justin Bannan during Saturday’s game, in which Suggs challenged Bannan to a fight — but convinced the ref not to throw a flag by saying the two are friends.

As the Ravens’ defense was walking off the field and the Broncos’ defense was walking on the field following a turnover, Suggs ran up to Bannan from behind and started yelling at him.

“I’ll fight you, a–hole,” Suggs said with a laugh.

Bannan turned around and stuck his finger in Suggs’ face before the players were quickly separated. As referee Bill Vinovich approached, perhaps to throw a penalty flag on Suggs, Suggs explained that he was just joking around.

“That’s my friend,” Suggs said.

“We don’t know that,” Vinovich responded.

But Vinovich believed it and didn’t throw the flag. Suggs and Bannan did, in fact, play together on the Ravens for four years, and Suggs apparently was just joking about wanting to fight.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Suggs convinced ref not to flag him for challenging a friend to a fight”
  1. j0esixpack says: Jan 17, 2013 12:55 PM

Suggs is a trash talking punk – but it sounds like that little exchange was all in good fun.

Just as well he didn’t get the penalty but hopefully Suggs learned his lesson. Expecting Refs to know when players are making threats in jest is asking a bit much of them.

2. firejimmy says: Jan 17, 2013 12:56 PM

Add that to the list of things Vinovich doesn’t know.

3. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 17, 2013 1:04 PM

When the ref approached him with flag in hand, Terrell said “Do you know who I am?”.

4. ravenator says: Jan 17, 2013 1:07 PM

Are steelers playing this weekend? What a jealous group of losers. Looking at you nofoolnodrool

5. godofwine330 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:08 PM

lol, This is funny. I do strange things to former co-worker, too. I can mimic voices and accents, so I occasionally call my old job using an Aussie, Brithish, Irish, Southern Gentleman, Olde Spice guy, or even The Rock. Just for fun. It gets a laugh out of the old crew and me both.

No need to be serious all of the time. Sometimes you need to have a little fun. I should probably be on the radio with these talents

6. dmartin17 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:24 PM

I don’t know if I would’ve take suggs word for it…

7. spellingcops says: Jan 17, 2013 1:29 PM

So which O lineman convinced the ref not to throw the flag when he held Von Miller on the play that scored the td right before half?

8. sixjak says: Jan 17, 2013 1:36 PM

godofwine330 says:
    Jan 17, 2013 1:08 PM

_____________

Cool story bro.

9. salutethis says: Jan 17, 2013 1:47 PM

This is kind of a ticky tac issue. That would have been a really bad penalty. If they wanted to call a penalty, how about pass ?

10. malab377 says: Jan 17, 2013 1:53 PM

Good job ref, now every players know what to say.

11. Deb says: Jan 17, 2013 2:05 PM

I wouldn’t have flagged him, either. And I’m a Steelers fan. He was just clowning around.

12. salutethis says: Jan 17, 2013 3:33 PM

Pass interference to my earlier comment. Sorry!

13. ratbirdking says: Jan 17, 2013 9:48 PM

You can watch it all on the ravens website. Suggs was mic’d up for the game.

This article is trash. They are joking around the whole time. The ref wasn’t even close to throwing a flag.

14. jr4real says: Jan 17, 2013 10:44 PM

He’s is the best! Even as a steeler fan i love what this guys brings.