Teammate says Tony Gonzalez now “97 percent” on retirement

Divisional Playoffs - Seattle Seahawks v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez won a playoff game for the first time in his career last week, an experience that left him quite emotional after Matt Bryant’s winning field goal went through the uprights.

According to tight end Michael Palmer, it didn’t make him any less likely to retire. Gonzalez has been sticking with an answer of “95 percent” all season when asked about the chances that this will be his final year as an NFL player, but Palmer said that Gonzalez actually upped the likelihood that he’ll be calling it quits.

“He told me today he’s moving up to 97-percent sure after that win last week,” Palmer said, via Mike Garafolo of USA Today. “From what I can get from him, if we win the Super Bowl, I think he’ll ride off into the sunset.”

Running back Michael Turner said that he told Gonzalez that he needs to come back and defend the title if the Falcons go all the way. Gonzalez’s answer?

“He was like, ‘No, no, no, no,’” Turner said.

Gonzalez wouldn’t be leaving because he can’t play anymore. He made a nifty touchdown catch in the back of the end zone against Seattle and then added a catch on the final drive to put Bryant in position to make the winning kick. That might not be enough to convince him to keep playing, but it does help his chances of going out a winner.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Teammate says Tony Gonzalez now “97 percent” on retirement”
  1. huskersrock1 says: Jan 17, 2013 3:04 PM

I am rooting for the Falcons this weekend, but the Super Bowl is not going to happen.

He is playing great, I would love to see him come back.

2. jessieboom says: Jan 17, 2013 3:06 PM

We SHOULD be talking about Gonzo more and Lewis less. Ain’t no character blemishes on Tony’s record.

3. bunkerhillbob says: Jan 17, 2013 3:07 PM

He really is something special and you know he’ll be doing his best to get the Falcons a ticket to New Orleans.

4. 49erstim says: Jan 17, 2013 3:16 PM

You cannot say enough good things about Tony. I’ve always respected him a great deal. First ballot HOF for sure, but no Lombardi for him.

5. hutch119 says: Jan 17, 2013 3:18 PM

jessieboom says:
    Jan 17, 2013 3:06 PM
    —————–
    This^. I am 100% sure Tony Gonzalez didn’t murder anyone. Wish I could say the same about Ray Ray.

6. nathanbetz91 says: Jan 17, 2013 3:27 PM

Congrats Tony, you’ve definitely earned it unfortunately it didn’t happen sooner.either way I hope you win the super bowl for one of the many outstanding high notes of s career that may never be replicated, Tony is by far the best te and revolutioned the position.

7. benroethlisberger7 says: Jan 17, 2013 3:34 PM

And 100% ringless

8. nineroutsider says: Jan 17, 2013 3:42 PM

Obviously I want this weekend’s game to be his last, but I was very happy for him last week and have always enjoyed watching him. He is unbelievable, seems like I’ve been watching him play forever. I’m a huge Cal fan, so I go way back with him.

I have a weird feeling that when August rolls around he will get the bug again. He still looks like he can play and I see him getting the bug. We will see. I’m sure Falcons fans wouldn’t mind it.

9. 13forgbp says: Jan 17, 2013 3:43 PM

then I’m 97% certain Tony Gonzales has won his last game

10. md228010 says: Jan 17, 2013 3:46 PM

Tony is the man.. A damn shame and hard to believe he is coming off his 1st playoff victory ever.. Unequivocally the best TE to ever play. No Gronk or Graham will ever come close to this mans numbers..

11. goods65 says: Jan 17, 2013 3:51 PM

first,Tony G is 100% class and i hope he gets his ring and imo is a first ballot HOFer.second,when will he announce he will retire 100%?….lol

12. NR | ExPlanet says: Jan 17, 2013 3:53 PM

To think this guy has only won one playoff game is incredible.

13. ermur22 says: Jan 17, 2013 3:59 PM

Not a chance he’s gonna win Sunday

14. jdubkc says: Jan 17, 2013 4:11 PM

Another KC Chief Hall of Famer!

15. firesnyder says: Jan 17, 2013 4:27 PM

I’m a diehard Redskins fan but Tony Gonzalez has to be one of the best TE’s ever to play the game. Love that guy! Good idea to get out now while you are still healthy. I’m rooting for Atlanta just because of Gonzo.

16. phreakin says: Jan 17, 2013 4:45 PM

I grew up watching Mark Bavaro play the TE position better than anyone I ever saw. Gonzo takes it to another level. Glad he’s not suffering still with the Chiefs but he’s got a tough road to get that ring this year

17. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: Jan 17, 2013 4:46 PM

49ers are 100% sure he will on Sunday

18. chief67 says: Jan 17, 2013 4:50 PM

Well maybe he will pull a Favre , and change his mind every 3 and a half minutes .

19. gettingseattled says: Jan 17, 2013 7:22 PM

Quit with the percentages already. Good lord, retire or don’t. Don’t make us think of you as Favre 2.0 when you decide to come back next year because your team doesn’t make the Super Bowl……..cuz that’s where we’re headed.

20. necr0philia says: Jan 17, 2013 9:52 PM

Tony G, will you marry my Wife? She loves you more than i do and that’s a lot. Hell you can sleep with us on our Cal King!!